Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• TJ062
    Hi guys, I'm trying to create a staff for rubick which has theese panels like the original rubicks shoulder bits.

I've been dabbling with the shaders for a week now but its just not working, I've tried all kinds of settings/values but i never got that awesome golden reflectiveness like rubicks shoulder has, I've tried all kinds of settings/values but nothing works!! please help me here this is my last hope for this staff:(

Here's a a picture that should help you understand my problem
    a7KQhvL.jpg
  • Jalcober
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Kennynz - you model two separate weapons and import them separately. One is rigged to the right hand and one is rigged to the left hand.

TJ062 - make sure your alpha layers aren't entirely black or entirely white. If they are, the specularity won't work.
  • TJ062
    TJ062 - make sure your alpha layers aren't entirely black or entirely white. If they are, the specularity won't work.

That's what i was showing with the different exponent level(the alpha layer),
    The problem is no matter how i change the exponent i still dont get the awesome golden reflections like on the shoulder.
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    TJ062 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm trying to create a staff for rubick which has theese panels like the original rubicks shoulder bits.

I've been dabbling with the shaders for a week now but its just not working, I've tried all kinds of settings/values but i never got that awesome golden reflectiveness like rubicks shoulder has, I've tried all kinds of settings/values but nothing works!! please help me here this is my last hope for this staff:(

Do you have at least a dot of white in your alpha channels? and are you saving these mask files as 32bit .tga? the lack of either will result in the texture showing up as pretty flat full bright.

If that's not the issue does your color map match the original?
  • Fo062
  • TJ062
    Lennyagony wrote: »
    Do you have at least a dot of white in your alpha channels? and are you saving these mask files as 32bit .tga? the lack of either will result in the texture showing up as pretty flat full bright.

If that's not the issue does your color map match the original?

Yes, I'm sure that there isnt even a small pixel of white also i discovored that even with a full white alpha there is still specular its just very unnoticable. I also made sure that im saving at 32bit tga, the result is same.

About the color map here is the comparison:
    PTnpdik.jpg

As you can see my one doesnt match completly but the color values are pretty much the same, so it should work.
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I'm sure that there isnt even a small pixel of white also i discovored that even with a full white alpha there is still specular its just very unnoticable. I also made sure that im saving at 32bit tga, the result is same.

PTnpdik.jpg

As you can see my one doesnt match completly but the color values are pretty much the same, so it should work.

Sorry to give you the run of the mill reply there, honestly i run into a fair amount of trouble with the masks not giving the expected effect each time i change hero's, which often results in many, many iterations until i find the result im after.

I took a quick look at Rubicks masks and yours looks really damm close,

hopefully im not whipping a dead horse with this but "Yes, I'm sure that there isnt even a small pixel of white" you want a pixel of white or the mask is discarded by the compiler
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Frump wrote: »
    I gave it a try on the model and in the previewer. The saturation is good when compared against the ground texture. Tons of stuff in Dota is really saturated and vibrant, so I don't think it's a problem. It might look like a toy, but so do some of the other custom wards. They're cute.

I ended up going with the purple sentry ward because people all voted for that one. In my heart the red sentry ward is the real one.

It's annoying that the ward importer spits out .dmx files! I'm going to have to manually compile to replace the default wards, unless I'm missing something.

I also have to get some video software to edit footage of the animations.

--Link--
    C6F6BBD7F5D37CA2CB25B7DE5E71C1324535FA80

the presentation shot is amazing Frump =]
    Largs wrote: »
    I didn't like my cape so I'll start sculpting again :S
    capeshow1.jpg
    feel free to comment

everytime you restart it it will get better

get a lot of references and try again, dont worry with texture or color, if the modeling is nice they will be better

you could try a gradient of saturation and value based on the height of the cape, the botton part less saturated and darker

a7KQhvL.jpg

that is weird, try to compare the alpha as the other guys suggested
  • TJ062
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    the presentation shot is amazing Frump =]

that is weird, try to compare the alpha as the other guys suggested

Heeeere it iss... :D

l62yitf.png
    As i said i experimented with the alpha with many different values i did even try copy and pasting the alpha.

I'm starting to think that valve might have added some vmt magic...
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message

As i said i experimented with the alpha with many different values i did even try copy and pasting the alpha.

Fresh out of solutions at this end, i need to head out for the day but should be able to give this a closer look when i make it back.

If you do find the solution please do post it :)
  • Starcofski

http://i.imgur.com/l62yitf.png

You know, as someone who frequently ran into issues with textures, I would suggest you paint a white and a black value over two pieces (and observe the three different colors side-by-side). If the gold reflection triggers at all, you can then decide from there, (but I always include a white and black dot to give scale).
    Personally, I was mystified by triggering the wavey effect on OD, but I learned that his special effect will occur even if you only have the saturation at 1 tick above black.
  • HntrLuc
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    Ok finished this one off!

It was a pain taking images and presenting this one. Looks a lot different from max to ingame...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=122902681
    od_preview_image.jpg
    od_ingame.jpg
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5

PTnpdik.jpg

Oh, those rubick specs, really tricky. Speaking from the experience t hink you should crank up the metalness mask, make sure your spec map starts at white and compensate for it by increasing value of your color map a bit.

Also, show us the normal map
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    HntrLuc wrote: »

It was a pain taking images and presenting this one. Looks a lot different from max to ingame...

od_preview_image.jpg
    od_ingame.jpg

THIS LOOKS AWESOME!
  • K-PAX
    Offline / Send Message
    K-PAX polycounter lvl 7
    HntrLuc wrote: »

od_preview_image.jpg
    od_ingame.jpg

amazing .gj. waiting a set.
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message

Did a few tests and it looks like the alpha in mask2 needs some detail, its hard to see in my example static shot below but as soon as i added details to the alpha channel it had a gold shimmer like the robe. Its worth noting that this is not the same as the source file which is full white with a tiny black spec - seemed to do the trick though!

rubic_mask_lennyagony.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Did a few tests and it looks like the alpha in mask2 needs some detail, its hard to see in my example static shot below but as soon as i added details to the alpha channel it had a gold shimmer like the robe. Its worth noting that this is not the same as the source file which is full white with a tiny black spec - seemed to do the trick though!

rubic_mask_lennyagony.jpg

Your mask 1 alpha also needs to have some white detail in it or you will keep problems.
    Most of the time it's the mask1 alpha causing problems!
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    Your mask 1 alpha also needs to have some white detail in it or you will keep problems.
    Most of the time it's the mask1 alpha causing problems!

If you view the image at full size you will see both original masks have a small dot of color in the corner, to clarify the above image isnt about the alpha mask being thrown out its about using the specular exponent
  • TJ062
    Oh, those rubick specs, really tricky. Speaking from the experience t hink you should crank up the metalness mask, make sure your spec map starts at white and compensate for it by increasing value of your color map a bit.

Also, show us the normal map

I did everything you suggested still dont get that golden reflectiveness.
    The metalness just makes it darker no matter how much i try to compensate in other maps.

Also here's the normal map since you asked.

dMtsKji.jpg

@Lennyagony
    I tried adding detail to the alpha as you suggested, and that dot of white in the mask1 alpha.
    The result stays the same: i see some spec but its not golden and its only on edges.
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message

@Lennyagony
    I tried adding detail to the alpha as you suggested, and that dot of white in the mask1 alpha.
    The result stays the same: i see some spec but its not golden and its only on edges.

:( hope you can get it sorted mate, i know how frustrating it can be when its so close to being done. Cool staff by the way, i like the design
  • TJ062
    :( hope you can get it sorted mate, i know how frustrating it can be when its so close to being done. Cool staff by the way, i like the design

Thanks, and thanks for all the attempts at helping i really appriciate it :)
  • Paskie
    Doing some work on a crown for Lion, going with same concept as the glove. So hopefully a set. Soon ready to retopo this one.

1FRsCXs.png
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress on the ward I'm doing with Helenek:

QxmDYxW.jpg
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    edit.jpg

Im stumped right now, translate and rotation data seem to be just fine. Tt doesn't seem to import scale data, which leads to this happening. I've exported as SMD and FBX tried both ways and I continue to get the same issue. Been searching around all day looking for a solution but to no avail. I am officially stumped. :(

Anyone run into this problem before when working with couriers/wards?
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    edit.jpg

Im stumped right now, translate and rotation data seem to be just fine. Tt doesn't seem to import scale data, which leads to this happening. I've exported as SMD and FBX tried both ways and I continue to get the same issue. Been searching around all day looking for a solution but to no avail. I am officially stumped. :(

Anyone run into this problem before when working with couriers/wards?

i got this problem once and lost half a day trying to figure out a solution

i quit trying to use the scale in maya and used it on the qc
  • Starcofski
    OK, so I'm putting the finishing touches on my Horns Re-Do, however, I think there's an issue with my normals mapping which is, (probably) unfixable. Below is a fullscreen 720p recording from the test client. There's a distinct line between my added snout, and the rest of the head. My original thoughts were to splay the nose out (like the head), however that would take up more space than I really intended to give it. If I didn't care about it being accepted, I'd submit it now... but I do.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lzoatJCpS0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lzoatJCpS0[/ame]
  • Nannou
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    Hi guys, I don't post here alot but i'm trying to get more active. Here is a courier i work on with T_Vidotto for Beyond the summit, a pretty big casting channel on twitch. For the flying version the squirrel will ride a snow owl.

xGdt6Eq.jpg
    KlVgA4Q.jpg

btw. anyone knows why photoshop makes the images so dark and crappy? Shadows are 5x stronger on the saved images thant what i see in photoshop. This happends with all formats.
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    Starcofski wrote: »
    OK, so I'm putting the finishing touches on my Horns Re-Do, however, I think there's an issue with my normals mapping which is, (probably) unfixable. Below is a fullscreen 720p recording from the test client. There's a distinct line between my added snout, and the rest of the head. My original thoughts were to splay the nose out (like the head), however that would take up more space than I really intended to give it. If I didn't care about it being accepted, I'd submit it now... but I do.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lzoatJCpS0

I had the hardest time trying to match the specularity on my OD set with the default, I actually was never able to do it exactly.

What I did to get somewhat close was in mask 2 I had the red channel nearly full bright, green nearly full dark, then white for blue and alpha (with a dark pixel in one corner).

I couldn't get my models to reflect light at the same angles as the default though, it was very weird, that's probably what is causing the hard line with your nose. Good luck.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou wrote: »
    Hi guys, I don't post here alot but i'm trying to get more active. Here is a courier i work on with T_Vidotto for Beyond the summit, a pretty big casting channel on twitch. For the flying version the squirrel will ride a snow owl.

xGdt6Eq.jpg
    KlVgA4Q.jpg

btw. anyone knows why photoshop makes the images so dark and crappy? Shadows are 5x stronger on the saved images thant what i see in photoshop. This happends with all formats.

yay! =]

btw nannou, the darken color can be caused by the upload process, i use the puush program to upload images and it always darken a take out the saturation
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Where's the guy with the rubick ward? Can you try this one
    mnormal.png
    and crack up the metalness mask to the max and post some screenshots, where the ward is not vertical. Like Spirit Breakers charge.
    I really think it's the normal maps and the viewing angles.
  • TJ062
    @vlad_the_implyer

Here's a comparison:
    2IRq6zX.jpg

On a side note heres a keeper of the light staff i started:
    1ch8N73.png
    jXtOr1H.png

The skinning on the cloth is broken :poly006:

Ps: does anybody know how to make the orb thingy have bloom?
  • Sharc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    Most you can do on your end for it is give it self illum, Valve would have to add glowy particles to it.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow that squirrel looks awesome :)

I remodeled the head of the ward, the old one was just a test version from alchemist head.
    Hope you guys like it:

Edit: Latest progress

JdAAtts.jpg
  • Sharc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    Got a concept for a Dark Seer set if anyone is interested in collaborating.

general_of_damathryx_by_terrormokes-d5syti0.png
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    I'm practically done with the Sculpt of my set...maybe i'll add few more details here and there...
    If you wanna check the making of it, or follow me live when i work on this, visit My Twitch Channel
    In the last video i've covered how to break and detail the cloth parts. :)

dp_wip_03.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Amazing work, motenai!
    I'll definitely be giving those videos a watch soon.
  • Paskie
    motenai wrote: »
    I'm practically done with the Sculpt of my set...maybe i'll add few more details here and there...
    If you wanna check the making of it, or follow me live when i work on this, visit My Twitch Channel
    In the last video i've covered how to break and detail the cloth parts. :)

dp_wip_03.jpg

Awesome! I'm huge fan of Joe Madureira so this set is really in my taste :)
    Speaking of Darksiders, if anyone has missed this epic thread there is a good amount of inspiration here. http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?170535-The-Character-Art-of-Darksiders-II
    and colored http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103863
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    I had missed the colored versions, just saved all of them straight away :)
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    i got this problem once and lost half a day trying to figure out a solution

i quit trying to use the scale in maya and used it on the qc

I found out that you can't import any scaling data into the game, It only supports transitional and rotational data on joints. :(
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Hey guys, I did a concept for a ward for Templar Assassin. Tell me what you think,

01.jpg

I started to model it but I'm not really sure where it's going now. Any suggestions?
    02.jpg
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

I just polished off a weapon creation tutorial and uploaded it to the guides section on steam. I had planned to cross post the entire thing here on Polycount, but after that posting marathon i just don't have it in me.

Mostly i would love any feedback, looking to keep it updated and hopefully learn some more streamlined processes in the, ehh process ;).

Also the steam guides platform is pretty damm sexy. Was pleasantly surprised at how user friendly the entire process ended up being.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lenny: Looking really good, not really my workflow but well everyone has his own.
    One thing I notice is that you attached the grip to the blade? These days you don't need a mesh that doesn't intersect eachother anymore so you could leave that step. These days you can save a lot of tri's not welding every part together. You only need to bake your normals correct, so they don't intersect.

Because everyone wants to make wards these days, I made my own concept for a Tiny ward. He's a very fun character to play with, only not an easy character. Will be adding more detail to the concept when I have the time :)

frCJvti.jpg
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    Eleryn wrote: »
    Hey guys, I did a concept for a ward for Templar Assassin. Tell me what you think,

01.jpg

I started to model it but I'm not really sure where it's going now. Any suggestions?
    02.jpg

It looks nice, but there could be game play issues where it looks too similar with the traps. Keep pushing it, can't wait to see what the final product looks like.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lenny: Looking really good, not really my workflow but well everyone has his own.
    One thing I notice is that you attached the grip to the blade? These days you don't need a mesh that doesn't intersect eachother anymore so you could leave that step. These days you can save a lot of tri's not welding every part together. You only need to bake your normals correct, so they don't intersect.

Because everyone wants to make wards these days, I made my own concept for a Tiny ward. He's a very fun character to play with, only not an easy character. Will be adding more detail to the concept when I have the time :)

frCJvti.jpg

I love this! Is it a living character, like a stone golem with really big forarms?
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I'm not sure why but that Tiny ward reminds me of a bunny rabbit. That might be a good or a bad thing.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    @Helenek: Haha the idea was some lazy golem, but I can now see why you thought big forearms :) maybe that isn't even such a bad idea :p I think I will work both out later on!

But maybe this will give a more exact idea :)

A bunny rabbit? where are the ears..

ShuNQsu.jpg
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    @Helenek: Haha the idea was some lazy golem, but I can now see why you thought big forearms :) maybe that isn't even such a bad idea :p I think I will work both out later on!

But maybe this will give a more exact idea :)

A bunny rabbit? where are the ears..

ShuNQsu.jpg

OOoooh! I see the lazy golem now. Perception is sure a wonderful thing! lol
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    ward_preview_02.jpg
    ward_preview_01.jpg

Update, all that is left are minor tweaks to the textures and complete all the animations!
  • 4evra
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    i might not be an experienced 3D artist,but i do pack lots of hours on dota1 and 2.

Now,there is another thing with wards,u gotta keep in mind the frenquency of usage by certain heroes.
    Even though wards are reserved for supps,carries still do get them in pubs,since motto there is 'every man for himself'.Thats why u can make wards for pudge,nevermore,invoker,tinker,etc etc.They dont normally buy them nor they ever would,but it can be seen in pub games every once in a while.
    Still,there are some heroes highly unlikely to get them.
    Lanaya(templar assasin) is perhaps the No.1 hero in terms of lack of ward using.
    Reason is quite simple,his ult enables him to effectivly get vision on rune spots,thus eliminating greater need for wards.Combine that with meld spell,refraction and a common blink build,it eleminated the full need of wards,for rune-ing and for map awarness.

tl;dr version:
    Lanaya doesnt do warding.Ever ever :)
    Making wards for her could be a bad move,since no matter how awesome the ward looks,it wont sell,because its not used.