Home Digital Sketchbooks

SketchBook- Seforin

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
seforin polycounter lvl 17
Im finally starting to get into doing personal work again (FINALLY!)

so Im practicing with a very talented individual I work with on my off time, shes really helping me out,

hopefully I will have atleast 3 times a week 1-2 hour studys each time

Starting off from scratch working my way up

1 hour side view only

(and arms)

Replies

• Ferg
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    what kind of material are you studying from? Your sketches so far look very heavy, like you drew over them many times looking for the right shape.

advice: Try making quicker marks, and don't go over them multiple times. After you finish a quick figure, do another, and another. Work small, since you're still trying to nail the overall proportions and shapes, you can save yourself some trouble by making your studies no bigger than 3 inches tall on the page. Experiment with pushing shapes further than you think you should. Let your hand wander and exaggerate if it wants to. Get comfortable.

And any time you find yourself sitting there thinking "self, you're just sitting here, you could be drawing while you wait", you should already have your sketchbook out! smile.gif
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    im holding on showing 2d stuff till I feel I can even get to a point of critcs other than "draw again" So all my stuff is personal just for a bit until I find a mentor I can train with (stupid I know but I will find a master)

anyway in the mean time heres some stuff ive been doing messing with ue3 all new to me all WIP (im taking stuff from the what your working on thread and tossing all in here)

Paris-Egouts-p1010737.jpg
    penis-sewer.jpg
    quickrender4josh.jpg
    quickrenderforjosh2.jpg
    NOHOPE3.jpg
    NOHOPE2.jpg
    NOHOPE1.jpg
    nohopea_1.jpg
    nohopea3.jpg
    nohopea2.jpg
  • seforin
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    x2-1.jpg
    x1-1.jpg
    ss2.jpg
    ss1.jpg
    change1.jpg
    change3.jpg
    change2.jpg

phew, sorry for the many images, but I figured to show the evolution of this simple wall to this room. Hoping unreal can make some magic with it now :)
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    everyone LOVES red rocket~!

REDROCKET.jpg
    redrocket2.jpg
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    Rape rat, needs work

RAPERAT.jpg
  • seforin
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I think the lighting and textures scheme in your tunnell could be better, the specular on the pipes in your reference is much more sharp, Where are your light sources? maybe looks at other similar scenes in games and see wha ttheyve done to make the scene more impressive.
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    well starting to go back to my routes now, really going to start doing SDK stuff and really hand paint a few things, heres something im working on for a prop for a game, "alien Plant" so far stands at 1 256 map and still much WIP

I will start my character later tonight fo dr.mcninja :)

plantthing.jpg
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    ok almost done with it but calling it a day

lastone.jpg
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    I R Make Art

plnater.jpg
    plant.png

1, 256 map
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    heres a varation , more coming soon plant2varation.jpg
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
  • Mark Dygert
    Those are looking great!
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally got a chance to work on my Dr. Mc ninja SDK model, Im trying to keep a strict budget so heres the model so far, please fire away all flaws before I make the hands/ sword and such

also question his hearing thing around his neck (see photo) should that be painted on to the body or be a seporate layer of polys (flat alpha plane) Really would help to get a clear answer on that one, thanks again

1gas.jpg
    5p12.gif
    drninja.jpg
  • kiril0t
    Offline / Send Message
    kiril0t polycounter lvl 12
    i like those flowers, the first one especially.i also like how you fixed the lighting in the environment, but your walls remind of when i used to make real matterial terrain models for warhammer out of random bits and the best way to show deterioration, or chunks missing out of a wall, was by applying some sort of substance that would eat away the styrofoam, and then . Thats what your walls remind me of.
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments the unreal one is being passed off to my work buddy letting him handle in the lighting , Also working on some more props but still in the process

Anyway ninja was a bit revamped with a bit of help from polyhertz

anyway I think texturing will be in faze now

nined2-1.jpg
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    What's the budget for that model? If you can afford to spend 3 tris for the tube then you can do it, I would model the circular part. 5 or six sided cylinder. If you can't afford it, paint it.. I don't get why you are defining the tie and not the jacket though. Although considering how low you are making this I would go ahead and just paint the doctors gear and use those extra polies to define the collar of the jacket, mostly how it wraps around the neck and shoulders and alter the figures silhouette. Same for the pants. The flip side though is you won't be able to mirror it either on the texture. I imagine you have a small texture as well. When deciding what to model go by what need to make the texture look the best, so consider how you would be able to unwrap it so you know how sharp the texture will look.

When drawing a figure and simple way to get the proportions correct is to divide the space where your figure will be. If the figure is going to be 8 heads tall, make a rectangle and divide that into 8 sections. The easiest way for me is to measure out with my index and thumb, I bring them together, and mark the beginning and end of the space they make and do that eight times. Or dear how big you want the head, then measure the head with your figures and mar the zones so you know how to fit the other parts in. Then I draw a rough straight line to mark the divisions. then it's a matter of measuring how long the arm is compared to the leg so you can make some mental notes on what to check

Alex
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    well I decided to keep this model at a 256 texture, and I decied to make his accessory's on a seporate map that will probably be at a 128(debating that still) I just finished modeling the chunks last night and uv unwrapping it, The reason for the tie and the coat having geo is because I would like it to have some depth to it if it moved with simple geometry.

I was trying to keep a very tight budget of just under 500 polys (My ending model was 424 with the accessory's )

I will post the flats and such a bit later today
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP still, I hate WRINKLES in clothes DEAR GOD!

Any suggestions on how to really make these bad boys pop out more?

wipstil.jpg
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    for the wrinkslies you can make a new layer and go over some with a lighter color. You can set this to color dodge, but you'll have to play with it until it works. You might need to darken the close a bit so you can going with lighter values and create contrast. You can also try and increase the contrast and see how it looks.

Another thing that can work is make a snapshop of what you have using the history menu then use the history brush in either screen, or dodge for highlights, overly might give you good result as well, and to darken set the brush multiply or color burn. To preview how the history brush will look make a levels adjustment layer ( leave setting alone) and set the mode to any of the blend modes.

Harlequin has some nice tutorials as well, might help you.

http://qbranch.cottages.polycount.com/tutorials.shtml

Alex
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so as I said earlier , I have kinda turned ghost aside from online chat and such, I have really decided in order to progress further in my career as a 3d artist I need to go back to my 2d and learn the essentials of art that I was not taught during my course of training at a so called "Art school"

So with that in mind I have found a local chapter near me and joined a art workshop dubbed "Cowa"

SO with this in mind we have followed many of the teachings of classical atilier based workshops, and basically setup a core structure to follow, some people on here who I talk to already know about this and hopefully can vouch about the seriousness of this all. So basically even art n0b's like me can train themseleves the right way. With all that said these are some sketches from the 1st day I joined up to now in my personal little book I Carry around with me at all times. Not to be mistaken for any of my workshop based work, which is amongst our group only (sorry guys)

Anywho from a few months ago to now somewhat the progression

This goes into studys of skulls/ life drawing/ maqueets/ and jestures and so forth, hopefully some of the guidance I have been recieving you see a progression.

01.jpg
    02-1.jpg
    03.jpg
    04.jpg
    05.jpg
    06.jpg
    07.jpg
    08.jpg
    09.jpg
  • seforin
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yea sorry some WIP and some other stuff Ive done 3d (NOT FORGETTING MY ROOTS DAMNIT!)

fixers1.jpg
    m9oar.jpg
    newbfixeers.jpg
  • Kawe
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    lol. that's a weird doctorninjaterrorist. looks like someone made him very flat though.
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe wrote: »
    lol. that's a weird doctorninjaterrorist. looks like someone made him very flat though.

thanks for that awsome feed back..? Well yea im not particually fond of him to be honest I figure once I get better at painting I'll go back and touch him up later
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    new updates to the sketchy book

19.jpg
    20.jpg
    21.jpg
    22.jpg
    23.jpg
    24.jpg
    25.jpg
    26.jpg
    27.jpg
    28.jpg

and some 3d I did the other day

quicky.jpg
    abe2.jpg
    abe1.jpg
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    alot of new artwork lately sorry for lack of updates alot of new stuff hope you guys see improvement out of me?

29.jpg
    30.jpg
    31.jpg
    32.jpg
    33.jpg
    34.jpg
    35.jpg
    36.jpg
    37.jpg
    38.jpg
    39.jpg
    40.jpg
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    and some more

41.jpg
    42.jpg
    43.jpg
    44.jpg
    45.jpg
    46.jpg
    47.jpg
    48.jpg
    49.jpg
    50.jpg

And some 3d

dudster.jpg
    newstudywoman1.jpg
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    hey dude. good to see you pumping this shit out!

in your sketches you tend to make the profiles very flat. this isn't a problem in your 3d, though. watch out for that next time you're doodling.
  • EricElwell
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    yeah, keep the studies coming man!

also, you might want to compress your images more, took quite some time to load even on broadband. (was having flashbacks to dial-up)
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    man totally necro'd this....

anyway a traditional piece im working on for a local gallery

chinaexports.jpg