Home Dota 2

Approached To Work On A Tournament Item? A Guide For You

Q3itbpf.jpg

Hey guys. I just wanted to create a thread as a guide for anyone who's been approached to work on a Ticket item and is wondering about how to deal with such offers.

Hopefully this guide will help you avoid common mistakes and set realistic expectations as to what you might get out of offering your item/items as ticket prizes to organizations.

1) Will tickets make more money than just getting my item accepted into the game?

On the most part, they will net you less than getting your item accepted normally. Why?

A)Typically an item attached to a ticket is only available for sale as long as the ticket is available. This might only be a month, compared to the multiple months of revenue you'll get off a normally accepted store item. Some tickets do stay available (Not 100% sure why), but once the tournament ends expect a major falloff in revenue.

B) A lot of these leagues are small and just starting off, so the sales typically will be smaller.

The exception exists with the large tourneys with prize pools in the tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars and 'brand name' tourneys.

2)What's the point of doing these ticket items if they don't get me a ton of money?

Exposure mostly. Doing ticket items also makes other organizations aware that you're available to do them, which typically results in other opportunities down the line.

3) What's a good percentage for making an item?

This varies widely due to the variety of items offered, but the average is around 30-50%. You really need to gauge how much your time is worth, especially considering that your item may only be on sale for one month.

Dipping under the 30% range is dangerous, as it also sets a bad standard for fellow workshop artists working with organizations. For example, we have been approached by organizations who said "X made this evolving item for 15%, why not you?" Don't be that guy.

4) Should I take a cash offer for my item/set?

No. When you're dealing with anyone in Dota 2, this is an incredibly risky thing to do. You have no idea who you're dealing with, and if you've been keeping track of the Dota scene a lot of shady characters have been found running organizations, teams and tournaments. Without a formal written contract you have no guarantee of getting your money.

Always push for using the workshop to determine revenue. It's there for a reason: To protect you. If an organization is being pushy regarding alternative payment offers, it would be best to turn them down.

5) I feel like the idea that I'm being asked to create is risky or doesn't fit the lore/art style of Dota 2. What should I do?

Be honest with the organizers. Ask them if they cleared the idea with Valve ahead of time, express your concern to them as a member of the workshop community. On the most part these organizers might throw a lot of ideas at you, it's your job to explain to them why it might not work.

Failing to do so might result in an item that makes you look bad and doesn't get accepted. Gauge the risk and trust Valve's style guide. Don't be afraid to walk away from a bad idea.

6) I've never heard of this league or organization.

Some organizations will ask for items without being cleared by Valve, a common mistake I've noticed. Be extra sure to ask whether they are cleared to have a courier/set/item for their season ticket.

7) The organizer has run into an issue with their tournament and it's no longer going ahead. What about my half completed item?!

This unfortunately does happen. Sponsors drop out, things don't work out, life happens. The best approach to such a situation is to ask for the ability to take the item and submit it yourself.

If the organizer feels like the tournament might get fixed in the short term, ask for a time limit before the item becomes yours. Be sure to have a record of these conversations.

Example: If this tournament ticket is not happening in 3 months, I get to submit my ______ item as my own.

8 ) The organizer is asking for a 6 stage evolving set with custom particle FX and a full new animation set. Should I do it?

Realize that when you create something that requires a lot of extra work by Valve to implement it, this might delay your item going in by days to weeks. There have been instances of tickets going in without an item, only to have the item patched in late. This affects sales and can be a major headache for everyone involved.

Keeping it relatively simple usually works out the best, and avoids unnecessary delays.

9) When should I submit a ticket item?

Ideally 3-4 weeks before the ticket is set to go into the store. This gives Valve enough 'heads up' time to implement it with the ticket. 2 weeks or less and you're in potential delay territory. This does vary.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If there are any other questions asked, they will be added to the OP here. Thanks for reading and happy workshopping!

Replies