Home General Discussion

The Witcher 3

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
LRoy polycounter lvl 10
Sweet Jesus. Game looks nuts. Reviews are pretty great also.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehjJ614QfeM[/ame]

Replies

• eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    When it unlocks on steam I'm gonna party like its 2013!
  • FullSynch
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    + 1 for glitter bombs!
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    FullSynch wrote: »
    + 1 for glitter bombs!
    Indeed. Vampires that sparkle dies =p edward is next.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    More importantly...

Has anyone been following the "graphical downgrade" controversy? Sounds like its shaping up to be another Watch Dogs. Each iteration of the "gameplay footage" from 2013-2015 appears to show a drastic loss in quality, in part to make room for console viability.

http://www.gamepur.com/news/18811-new-witcher-3-near-finish-build-vs-2013-build-comparison-screenshots-shows.html

Hopefully this is reversible (to whatever extent is possible) with the post launch PC version.
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Damn. I've never gotten into The Witcher, but this trailer is amazing.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Dataday wrote: »
    More importantly...

Has anyone been following the "graphical downgrade" controversy? Sounds like its shaping up to be another Watch Dogs. Each iteration of the "gameplay footage" from 2013-2015 appears to show a drastic loss in quality, in part to make room for console viability.

http://www.gamepur.com/news/18811-new-witcher-3-near-finish-build-vs-2013-build-comparison-screenshots-shows.html

Hopefully this is reversible (to whatever extent is possible) with the post launch PC version.

Yea looks a lot alike, still a good looking game, but the first videos were far too impressive to be final i guess.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    More importantly...

It'll never look like the reveal gameplay trailer, It won't even look like it did back in 2014.

The consoles have turned out to be the lead platform and as such the pc version looks pretty much the same even on max settings.

CDPR have been very cryptic about the whole thing, denying it at every chance and talking about mysterious super settings for the pc version. Many people up to this point are still writing off any comparison shots or videos as not being the final version, and that the launch version will be fantastic.

So while the game still looks pretty good it has been downgraded and CDPR have decided to not come clean about it.
  • GarageBay9
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    More importantly...

If there's an XB1 version, there's your answer.

Anybody who has worked with that thing knows the kind of bottleneck it is compared to gaming PCs...

...from ten years ago.

If they had to make it run on that, they probably didn't bother keeping the PC-only art content in a separate branch, which would have meant QAing and bugfixing two versions of the game that effectively only shared a name and a plot.
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
  • loggie24
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    More importantly...

I feel like if you don't have anything good to show then don't show it. Showing something not representative of the actual game is far to common and really sad honestly, tells me the developers aren't confident with themselves and what the currently have to offer.
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    loggie24 wrote: »
    I feel like if you don't have anything good to show then don't show it. Showing something not representative of the actual game is far to common and really sad honestly, tells me the developers aren't confident with themselves and what the currently have to offer.

So you would rather them not show they game at all than them show you what graphical fidelity they hope to achieve at final ship.

These arguments have all been stupid. They have shown plenty of demos that show the final ship quality if you don't like it don't buy the game. It was a game in development the majority of the time the game is going to look worse at ship because you have to balance for overall performance. This is what happens in game development you make a visual target, then you balance for performance, then you balance for performance across all of the consoles. The game would most likely look the same if it was PC only.

*Also the game looks amazing. Can't wait to pick it up.
  • frmdbl
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    Played Witcher 1 and 2, can't wait to play this one, but I think I will:),
    so that I won't be annoyed with too many bugs.
  • loggie24
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    stevston89 wrote: »
    So you would rather them not show they game at all than them show you what graphical fidelity they hope to achieve at final ship.

These arguments have all been stupid. They have shown plenty of demos that show the final ship quality if you don't like it don't buy the game. It was a game in development the majority of the time the game is going to look worse at ship because you have to balance for overall performance. This is what happens in game development you make a visual target, then you balance for performance, then you balance for performance across all of the consoles. The game would most likely look the same if it was PC only.

*Also the game looks amazing. Can't wait to pick it up.
    So you are supporting the fact that a lot of companies are showing an inaccurate representation of what their game is like? Not that it's a lot to complain about with W3 because it still looks great, but we have other examples and will for sure have a lot more in the future. I simply don't see the reason to do such a thing as it will always backfire and probably hurt the game more than anything.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    frmdbl wrote: »
    Played Witcher 1 and 2, can't wait to play this one, but I think I will:),
    so that I won't be annoyed with too many bugs.
    Yeah I'm also holding off on tw3 partly because I'm not in the mood, partly because their going open world is enough for me to hold off until it's been released for awhile. Not a fan of open world for a number of reasons, so I'd like to see how it plays out first. Plus I've still got Pillars to finish...
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    So you are supporting the fact that a lot of companies are showing an inaccurate representation of what their game is like? Not that it's a lot to complain about with W3 because it still looks great, but we have other examples and will for sure have a lot more in the future. I simply don't see the reason to do such a thing as it will always backfire and probably hurt the game more than anything.

If it's over a year out from ship and they have several updates showing the final ship quality yes. It's not like they are convincing you that the game looks like that. The game hasn't shipped and you know it doesn't look like that. I fail to see how it is dishonest.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    The cinematic s have always been really impressive for the witcher. I played 1 and 2 and really enjoyed them. The only thing I found limiting was the 'in a tube' experience so if they have to throttle off the graphics quality for an open world approach its fine by me. I have always been a fan of the design and story with the witcher anyhow.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator

You guys probably know this stuff but sometimes developers do a 'vertical slice' of the project and really push the quality sometimes with not much optimisation, this is done for many reasons. One reason may be to impress the publisher or shareholders, another may be to just internally figure out workflows and project management schedules and set a quality bar for 3d artists etc, another may be to impress gamers who will purchase the game. If the publisher or shareholders aren't impressed then it could get pushed back or canned etc etc. Doubt thats the case here but just some things to consider. I dont think most companies would normally show a vertical slice to the public, doesnt seem a great idea to me.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    If it's over a year out from ship and they have several updates showing the final ship quality yes. It's not like they are convincing you that the game looks like that. The game hasn't shipped and you know it doesn't look like that. I fail to see how it is dishonest.

They withheld the highest settings on purpose while in reality they don't really do that much.

The fidelity of the PC version has been anyone's guess up to just maybe a few days ago, even CDPR wanted people to believe that it would be amazing compared to the footage that was out.
    It’s not even on the highest settings, we’re saving this for when you buy the game – we want you to get a bit of a slap across the face, that’s when you see the highest.

http://wccftech.com/cd-projekt-the-witcher-3-ultra-will-be-a-slap-in-the-face-new-gdc-gameplay/
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    It's not like they are convincing you that the game looks like that. I fail to see how it is dishonest.

Actually this is the biggest flaw in your argument. They have been telling people the game looks BETTER not worse than the previous footage. So yes, they have been trying to convince their target audience that the game looks like that, worse...better than that.

They have been actively talking about how much better the game looks and when questions have been raised they began blaming youtube compression of all things. Its the active denial or refusal to step away from the "it looks better" hole they dug thats rubbing some people the wrong way.

Too many red flags with this one, from the review codes to the rampant censorship on their forums over the subject... Just too much is resulting in bad optics on their part.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Absolutely blown away by that cinematic.

It was amazing on every level a cinematic could be. Stunning art, animation, combat, sound and self contained narrative.

Been a long time since a cinematic has floored me like this one. Cant wait for the game as well :D
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Who thinks the quality of a cinematic demonstrates the quality of gameplay? The first cinematic from the witcher was indicative of the quality of a cinematic in the witcher because it was a cinematic in the witcher.

I dont think it would be a good idea to make a movie and call it gameplay, did they do that?
  • Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    Cinematic was very very nice, right until the combat started. :)

"slow mo speed up slow mo speed up slow mo, flashy fx, slow mo.... speed up SLOOOW MO... slow. mmmmoooooo"

something like that... :\
  • mats effect
    Getting the same feels I had when I ran around Oblivions open world for the first time :)
  • Meloncov
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Bek wrote: »
    Yeah I'm also holding off on tw3 partly because I'm not in the mood, partly because their going open world is enough for me to hold off until it's been released for awhile. Not a fan of open world for a number of reasons, so I'd like to see how it plays out first. Plus I've still got Pillars to finish...

The reviews I've read says it plays more like a classic linear RPG than a big shallow sandbox like Skyrim. You theoretically can run off in any direction, but in practice the plot and the difficult curve keep you on a fairly straight path.
    kanga wrote: »
    Who thinks the quality of a cinematic demonstrates the quality of gameplay? The first cinematic from the witcher was indicative of the quality of a cinematic in the witcher because it was a cinematic in the witcher.

Obviously it doesn't say anything about quality of gameplay, but it does give a better feel for the tone and story than any given two minutes of in-game footage would.
  • Equanim
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Everyone's got a post-doc in real time rendering. Compensating graphical complexity for accessibility is something every dev hates, but it has to be done if you want people to enjoy your game. The super hardcore gamers can create all the "controversy" they want, but it's part of the release process.

edit: removed 2nd paragraph, happy monday!
  • bounchfx
    regardless of all the bitchery going around about the graphics downgrade, it's still a DAMN fine looking game.

the only thing that confuses the fuck out of me is how turning down all my graphics significantly does NOTHING to the framerate. Everything medium/high with all post effects? 20-24fps.

everything low, no post effects? 20-24 fps.

wat..
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    bounchfx wrote: »
    the only thing that confuses the fuck out of me is how turning down all my graphics significantly does NOTHING to the framerate. Everything medium/high with all post effects? 20-24fps.

everything low, no post effects? 20-24 fps.

wat..
    How can that be? Hope someone here can fix this for you.
  • vargatom
    Thank you everyone for the kind comments on the trailer!

Also, I personally think that this was a pretty good representation of both the game and the world it takes place in, probably the best mix of these elements we've ever done.It made me want to read up on the background lore and appreciate CDPR's efforts a lot more.
    There's an unusually high amount of content in this single piece and it's all so effortless, thanks to the quality of the script that we were given. It was also a lot of fun to work on - just consider the ramifications of naked female vampire monsters ;) We've never had such... interesting meetings ever before :P
  • bounchfx
    kanga wrote: »
    How can that be? Hope someone here can fix this for you.

restarted it, everything is now on low except textures on medium, vignetting on, and bloom on. I can get 28-32. To be fair, I'm on a 660 which is literally their minimum spec. I just thought it was very interesting how playing with most things all the way up didn't really affect my fps that much. It still looks great on low though, and I'll probably upgrade my card around xmas. I'm just glad to have a steady framerate, and more importantly, more responsive menus/controls.
  • Noren
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
  • 3devo
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo polycounter lvl 12
    bah pays for special edition. second disc is scratched to hell. downloading from gog now but probably another 12 hours before play boo! hiss! so pumped for the game though.
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    bounchfx wrote: »
    restarted it, everything is now on low except textures on medium, vignetting on, and bloom on. I can get 28-32. To be fair, I'm on a 660 which is literally their minimum spec. I just thought it was very interesting how playing with most things all the way up didn't really affect my fps that much. It still looks great on low though, and I'll probably upgrade my card around xmas. I'm just glad to have a steady framerate, and more importantly, more responsive menus/controls.
    If you haven't already you should update your NVidia drivers, they pushed out a driver today that fixed most of the problems I was having with the games visuals.

I'm on a 760 and running on mostly high/ultra at 30+ fps. The biggest performance sink for me is NVidia's hair effects which runs like complete garbage, I had to disable it completely.
  • Thalasma
    Offline / Send Message
    Thalasma polycounter lvl 3
    Oh man, I can't wait to receive the game today, oooh yes!
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    hope it's the drivers. Crash on program launch ain't funny. Not with a game like this
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
  • Rurouni Strife
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Yea I have a 770 and turning off Hairworks by far boosted my fps more than anything else. I'm not rocking probably in the 40-60 range most of the time which is fine by me. Everything else is maxed out at 1080P
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I hate those games that give me this "must play now!" vs "let's wait till I can afford a new video card for the highest settings!" dilemma :(

PS. if someone experiences crashes at launch, that GoG galaxy program just downloaded 2.6 MB of something and then it worked, over the regular GoG installer + 1.01 patch.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Congrats on the peeps at CDR. They did an amazing job. Played for a couple of hrs this morning, and its breathtaking how detailed everything is. Woods are not sparse, they are super dense. Loving it. Also the combat is infinitely much better than previous games. So thank goodness for that.

The wind and the trees, and how everything reacts to the weather. Just awesome stuff. Epic sunsets, and clouds. Its like a good mix of skyrim and red dead redemption.

Looking forward to playing some more of this.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    I actually decided to use GoG Galaxy for this and I'm quite pleased so far (except that I have to use FRAPS for Screenshots Eventually)
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, I got the game as well from there, only problem was that the shortcut for the game opens GoG Galaxy instead of the game, but quickly fixed that by making a new one directly to the exe.

It's running pretty smooth on my rig, but I do have some issues with flickering flowers and such, and had a blackscreen crash, however I have downloaded the new nVidia drivers and going to install it and see if that solves it. :)
  • Flight
    Offline / Send Message
    Flight polycounter lvl 10
    God damn I need a new computer.
  • Equanim
    Offline / Send Message
    It's times like this I love being nearsighted, anti-aliasing be damned!
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    very good framerate on my new laptop !

except if i turn on hairworks then everything became a bit slow hahaha, oh well i guess untill next 2-4 years until we can get proper hair in 60 fps

gameplay wise, finally no more confusing sidequest vs main quest tracking like in witcher 2 ... , now everything feels much easier to track.
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    My biggest problem at the moment is that I keep getting off my horse every 5 seconds, because "I just need to pick the herb".

Apart from that, has been great, haven't gotten so far yet, but it looks good and works well. If anything, I have a problem with the default 'walk/run', it's too fast when I just want to walk around, it feels a bit jerky. Prefer to be able to run when I press a key.
  • Grandma
    THE GAME LOOKS AMAZING
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    McGreed wrote: »
    My biggest problem at the moment is that I keep getting off my horse every 5 seconds, because "I just need to pick the herb".

Apart from that, has been great, haven't gotten so far yet, but it looks good and works well. If anything, I have a problem with the default 'walk/run', it's too fast when I just want to walk around, it feels a bit jerky. Prefer to be able to run when I press a key.

There are way to many herbs :(
  • Bal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Having the herbs appear on the minimap is so evil, fucking OCD.
    Must. Pick. Up. Absolutely. Everything.
  • kneedeepinthedoomed
    The Witcher has a thing for pretty women turning into monsters, it seems. And for breasts.
  • Equanim
    Offline / Send Message
    Wound up hiding my minimap last night because I was looking at it more than the game. It takes some getting used to but it actually makes the game feel more natural for exploration.
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    time to save up for a new computer... doh