Offline / Send Message
Marine polycounter lvl 18
Just a couple of days left now :)
Hope they play the horror up a bit more than in the demo

Replies

• Eclipse
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    IGN's review is out and I wouldn't expect much in the way of horror. They said it takes a BIG back seat to the action.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I really had a rough time with the controls in the demo. Seems like Resident Evil 4.5 to me more than 5 from what I played of the demo.
  • Junkie_XL
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Having that co-op character constantly walking with you making noise ruins a lot of it for me. As an action game it'll be good but I have a feeling it won't feel like RE at all. I'll miss that isolated, spooky, "alone" feeling. oh well.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    got mine on order
    should get it on friday or thursday
    can't wait. RE4 had little horror to me (Seriously, it wasn't a horror game) and to be honest, just knowing its more of the same is exciting to me. Can't see the issue people have with that, or the control scheme - I played it some time last year and liked it.
  • Spug
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    god....exciiiiteeeeeee! can't waiit!
  • onionhead_o
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    im just glad they mercenary mode is back!!! the mode is off the hook. adds so much more playtime
  • clee101
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 polycounter lvl 18
    Cant wait to start blasting them zombies....oh wait, theyre not zombies anymore right? oh well..
  • imb3nt
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Yep, merc mode is supposed to be co-op now too... which is badass.
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    This friday = Beer, Zombies and GUNS with a buddy.
  • RazorBladder
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Whilst I mourn for the days of the Resi Evil:Remake + Zero, I'm still gonna pick up Resi 5, simply to uncover the story remaining in the Chris/Wesker arc.
    I liked Resi 4 a lot but for me it just didn't feel like Resi Evil, apparently 5 has even less of a daunting lonesome spooky factor. :(
    I'm sure it's gonna be a great game all the same and I'm one who doesn't give a flying fuck for walking+shooting, it's nice to be able to do but it's not a game destroying design choice not to include it.
  • Stubbs
    Offline / Send Message
    Stubbs polycounter lvl 17
    RE5 looks cool, the art is inspiring. I'm not thrilled about the action over horror factor that the series has integrated though... I really enjoyed the old school RE games that were more horror-based. Those were the days. I agree that RE4 and most likely RE5 as well don't even feel like they are Resident Evil games.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Offline / Send Message
    just got it at work
    I am cacking my pants for when i get home
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    RER5 has been dispatched! Hopefully will be playing it tomorrow. It has changed over the years, but hopefully the story will remain great. Remember when it was like the first time playing Alone in the Dark, that game shat me up some.
  • flow3d
    Offline / Send Message
    flow3d polycounter lvl 18
    I'll pass on Gears of Evil 5
    wait for their next attempt at failure instead
  • bluekangaroo
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    I like the direction they decided to go for this one. I am very excite to play this when it comes out
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    The first dissappointment I hear is the game is significantly SHORTER than RE4, and considering how the devs said it would be even LONGER in their dev diary vids...this makes me hesitate.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Whoever invented this inventory system needs to be slapped in the fact with a pink rubber dildo...

I NEED AMMO!!!

*opens menu, selects ammo, selects give, closes sub menu, selects gun, selects equip, closes menu* DEAD....

Jesus...
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    finished it earlier, took nine and a half hours. felt longer, and it's fun all the way through

odium, just give sheva weapons that don't use the same ammo as the ones you use, she'll stop bothering you for ammo after that. then you've just got to put up with her bad herb management
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah :( Im finding it a little easier now tbh, it was fucking me right off at the start but then, you get a billion enemies at the start. Its much better when you only have a few, thats more RE4 that way. When you have to face a good 15 or so it really gets hard.
  • Quokimbo
    WTF??? Charging for something they are going to put up a couple of weeks after launch. It was like the Combustible map pack for Gears2...

http://kotaku.com/5168756/capcom-confirms-prices-versus-mode-for-resident-evil-5
  • bounchfx
    I'm fucking hating DLC lately because of all this stuff that feels like it should be in the game to begin with. blargh.

Burnout is doing it right. Rock Band is doing it right.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    No games till after Dwar entry is submitted.

I might even argue, no games till after I lose the 10 lbs I'll likely gain from sitting on my ass for 2+ months.

RE5 and SF4 will be my reward for finishing.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    just went out and grabbed it for 360 at lunch, now have to wait to giver a shot till after worky, the studio only has a ps3....:(
  • Luxury
  • Kovac
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Dunno if that link worked for anyone else but I'll assume it's the Toys-R-Us deal... if you buy the game today or tomorrow you get a $20 gift card.
  • Junkie_XL
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Picked it up at midnight last night. I like it. Very fun. But it should NOT be called Resident Evil.

I sure wish the Wii had better graphics...I'd much rather play this with the remote pointer.
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    I've never played an RE game before so I thought I'd give this one a go. Game looks stunning but it stops every couple of minutes for loading or cut-scenes. Pretty frustrating. I also wish they'd just give me some bloody ammo so I can play the game. Hopefully I can get over these couple of gripes - I have a tendency to stop playing a game at this point if I'm just not feeling it.

*EDIT* Also: what is the deal with Chris's neck/shoulder/chest area?
  • RazorBladder
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    From what I've played so far, I really can't understand why this game is causing so much heated controversy amongst gamers/critics. Sure, this game has pretty much become Die Hard with zombies and shouldn't be called Resident Evil anymore (frankly I thought that about RE4 anyway), but honestly I'm thoroughly enjoying this game so far, more so than RE 4 in some places.

Surely the fact that it's a solid, and more importantly, fun game is all that truely matters?
    I was also mighty glad with the sheer amount of bonus/unlockable content and the ability to watch all the cutscenes ( I miss that! ).

Fuck everyone that craves for even more Gears mechanics in all AAA titles.
  • Asherr
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    about 3.5hours in. just after the swampboat section. low on ammo. surrounded by zombies. send help.

also i've only found 2 BSAA emblems so far. not sure if that is good or bad....
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    about 2 hours in, oh my gawd there is some nice texture work in this game, everything looks pretty believable and not overly normal mapped like some games.

the lighting looks fantastic, anyone know of any "making of" or technical info releases on this game?
  • AstroZombie
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Played it for a couple hours tonight, here are my thoughts:

Overall, very good, but not as good as RE4. Where I would probably give RE4 a 10/10, so far RE5 would score a "mere" 9/10 with me ;)

I miss the "what are ya sellin?" guy. They should have made him a regular part of the series. He seemed so random and out of place the first time I played RE4, but I became quite attached to him by the end. Really, he is the "G-Man" of the RE series at this point for me, why ditch him?

RE should have NEVER made the leap to co-op or, they should have just included a completely separate campaign for it. Having a partner, even an NPC one, really eliminates the "fear" factor. This just seems so obvious to me and such a poor design decision: being alone in an abandoned house or creepy location is 100x more frightening alone than with a buddy. I am not sure WTF they were thinking when they decided to make RE5 co-op :-s

The fact that the new inventory system does not pause the action really sucks. Or possibly I need to learn how to map items to the d-pad ...

So actually very few complaints from me do far. I am playing through it solo with an NPC Sheva and hope to give it a full run through with a real person as well at some point. However, like I said, I just think that the RE series works better as a solo experience and wish they would have stuck with it.
  • Spug
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    I played it for a few hours tonight, and I have been blown away. Originally, I thought...wtf i cant strafe and shoot...uh....wtf. I feel like games have come a long way, and todays standard for a "action" game. This is a survival horror game, that limits your mobility to give the game a sense of urgency, at least that is what i think. Overall, I have loved playing it. The menu system works great for me, and its a matter of having a good player covering you while you make changes. (heal, reaload, pick up items.) It has been a blast, and I hope it doesn't end.

Oh and did i forget to say that the game is overflowing with sexy visuals. DAMN! The real time lighting, and the shaders they have...fucking epppppiiiiiicccccc.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll second that
    my eyes are on stalks
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    mercenaries is badass
  • bounchfx
    got it today, 20$ gift card yay.. but they didn't have any 1600 points card.. AT ALL. Beh. so i still paid full price it feels like. haven't played it yet.
  • onionhead_o
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    i hate the inventory system too. hate the fact that u cant buy ammo, y the fuck can u buy grenade shells when u cant buy other ammo.
    dont get me wrong, i love this game it just that they could have made it better.
    like:
    - keeping the merchant
    - same upgrade system
    - combination of treasure to sell for higher price.
  • Asherr
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    just finished it. the last chapter is a bloody gauntlet. mostly my blood.

i think there should have been a larger inventory like RE4. they could still have kept the quick inventory too.
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    glad to hear im not the only one thinking the merchant guy rocks . Hell i could play a game as that guy. :)

Been playing the game a lot this weekend with a buddy and it works pretty well. Got used to the controls but would still prefer to be able to walk and shoot. Can´t really understand why we don´t get a full screen though :(

PS: FUCKING ZOMBIES WITH HELMETS! GAH GAH GAH!
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    This last boss would be easy if it wasnt for Shiva being thick as pig shit and not shooting what she has to... Argh...
  • peppi
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    PS: FUCKING ZOMBIES WITH HELMETS! GAH GAH GAH!
    Agreed.

Started playing last night. It's a fun game although gameplay is very linear with pretty much no breaks between action sequences, which makes it a slightly hysterical experience. The limited inventory and the fact that going through it doesn't pause the game anymore doesn't help either. There's not much left of the exploration and puzzle stuff from the old games.. I think so far (3-1) I haven't even seen a single puzzle that would deserve to be called that.

But still it is very much what I was expecting after RE4, and while it's more of a shooting gallery now the game is still tons of fun and it looks great.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, all done...

Well... Oddly, it turned me around about a third of the way through. Long game, longer than I thought I would be, certainly longer than Killzone 2. Miles better than Killzone 2 as well...

In all honesty, I ended up enjoying it a hell of a lot. Really, really good game. But damn, there ARE huge flaws with it. Inventory, AI partner, and silly "help" situations when your partner can't get to you... But in the end they just made it hard, but not impossible.

Graphics wise, its awesome. Really good, miles better than anything else out on either platform. The cutscenes were very Metal Gear as well, they put a lot of effort into them...

The game, for me, is both flop of the year and game of the year. It did so much right, but so much wrong. Its probably the best game I've played in a long time, but the most annoying and stupid... I honestly can't get my head around it. For every positive, there is a negative. For every negative, there is a positive... One things for sure, I beat the end boss without taking a single hit. Thats not normal :( Played on Vet too :(

Right then, now onto maxing out all my weapons, and completing Shiva's single player game (Which is SINGLE, not together).

On with the show :p
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Played it coop with a friend.

one thing that rally stroke me was how fast you go from one environment to another totally different one without any explanation or distance indication.
    Other than that, tons tons tons of fun on coop, taking one specific weapon and keeping it is awesome, the exchange system is quite cool too, same with the loot sharing when coop-ing

we're at the last boss, had to stop playing but I'll probably beat it tomorrow, again ,lots of fun :)
    hated the tomb raider part though
  • fast1
    haha for me its no games till i start making some Gsclear.gif
  • SouL
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    This game has the best female character art I've seen. Villain chick is unbelievably well done.

You know... i wonder how much the DMC franchise has influenced RE. I remember reading years back, the original DMC game was supposed to be a new RE game.
    Ever since Code Veronica, RE hasn't been the same type of game.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Offline / Send Message
    odium wrote: »
    This last boss would be easy if it wasnt for Shiva being thick as pig shit and not shooting what she has to... Argh...
    man, you can beat the last boss with a knife, with computer controlled Shiva. Really easy. In fact, I had to beat it with a knife because I'd come so far and lost all my ammo, and of course, you can't buy ammo (major gripe right there)
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I know you can, I wasn't on about THAT last boss because to be fair... it wasn't really a boss... More likea quick time event.

The one I was on about was the huge BOW where you use the laser on it. Would be piss easy if Sheva actually shot the black things it throws off. Instead, I had to keep dropping the gun, shooting them, picking it up, ducking, dropping the gun, shooting the box, dropping the gun, shooting them.... etc etc... was a right pain...
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Odium :
    play coop :) we were alternating with my friend, one would shoot the boss, the other would shoot the black parasites
  • AstroZombie
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    glad to hear im not the only one thinking the merchant guy rocks . Hell i could play a game as that guy. :)

Yea, I hope they bring him back at some point in the future :(
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Well the original plan I heard was like they did in RE:D on nGage (Which if you have an N95, play it, its really good, like a low detail RE4. Just dont play the other version, its shocking).

He was supposed to be a merc, that you would buy and sell items with. For some reason they dropped it... Probably because MGS4 totally ripped off the idea of a Merchant really and it would of been too much of the same.

It makes me sad they took out larger inventory cases (Thats REALLY needed IMO) and yellow herbs :( I used to enjoy maxing out stats like that.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    beat it last night.

is blissfully beautiful in spots, and kinda meh in others. Lots of little quarks, definitely agree with you Odium, for every one or two fucking awesome things, there is one thing that makes me cringe.

Definitely had fun though, want to go through on Hard now in co-op.