Home Technical Talk

Guitar Hero 3 Character Specs?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
nacire polycounter lvl 17
Does anyone know the character specs for the Guitar Hero 3 characters?

Also, wasn't there a contest here some time ago where everyone made their own guitar heroes? If so, I couldn't find them. Could someone point me to the entries if there were any?

Replies

• nacire
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for moving the thread, I couldn't decide between tech or PnP.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    A good rule of thumb is, if you're not showing off your own work, then it doesn't go in P&P smile.gif

I'd imagine they're somewhere between 4000-6000 triangles, and just diffuse textures. Probably don't need that much texture res even, since a lot of it is flat colour.
  • Smirnoffka
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    The XB360 version has normal maps I believe, I have been playing it for the last 4 days straight. Thats GH2, anyway... The videos for 3 look like they have normal maps in them also.
  • Asherr
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    939093_20071011_screen004.jpg
    this image might give you some idea.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    hmm, normals as well eh? MAD!
  • Rob Galanakis
    [ QUOTE ]
    hmm, normals as well eh? MAD!

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't have a next-gen game without normal maps.
  • nacire
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I also found this little interview with one of the character artists. Gives a little insight.
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, Chris George, AKA SuperOstrich here on pc.
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Offline / Send Message
    snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
    The lowpoly is pretty much what i would call a highpoly, at least for the face. Do you even need so much polygon before calling it a lowrez ?

Im not complaining or anything just wondering
  • Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    I have the PS2 version and honestly I like the way the characters look better on the PS2; I've seen some of the screen shots from X360 and I find the normal mapped character a bit creepy.

4000-6000 are the x360 specs I guess. PS2 would about half that?
  • sonic
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    That picture makes me laugh. The mouth and the nose region have WAY more polys than the hair, which obviously needs them more.
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    this is bullshit, the highpoly looks like the lowpoly with a meshsmooth on it, why wasting ressources on something that doesn't benefit the extra details given by the normalmaps in the end ?
  • SuperOstrich
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    Haha, it's funny to see guys get all bent out of shape about the art in a game they didn't work on. smile.gif If anyone has any questions about any of the character art, I'd be happy to answer them.

The poly budget was MUCH higher than 6k. Remember, the game shows extreme closeups of faces and hands. We built all the accessories (chains, belts, etc.) in 3d instead of using flat poly tricks because they needed to be havok-driven and we wanted them to move realistically.

Of course all the characters were normal mapped, and our low poly faces were pretty high to begin with so that they looked good with facial animation during closeup shots. So certain characters (females mostly) don't have a lot of information in their face normal maps because their skin and facial structures are smooth. The male characters have much more information in the face normal maps. But nothing was simply meshsmoothed. Everything was sculpted out in Zbrush. When and if I get permission to upload some of my own artwork, you'll see the level of detail some of the character faces have.
  • nacire
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    When and if I get permission to upload some of my own artwork, you'll see the level of detail some of the character faces have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome man, I can't wait to see some of the sculpts for these characters.

As far as the comments above, I don't think any resources seem wasted. The venues usually have 4 detailed band members and a plethora of really low poly people in the crowd. Hell if you can afford the extra polys then by all means why not spend them? Especially on the focal points, which are the characters.

A couple of small crits that I can see is that there is a bit of collapsing on the fingers in the close ups that show the strumming hand of your guitarist. I'm not sure if it was a binding issue, bone placement, edge placement or what. Another thing I noticed was when you're Judy Nails (haven't noticed it with anyone else) the camera clips into your body during one of the camera movements.

Last thing, why no guitar straps? Would it just be too much of a pain to pull off?

Casey Lynch is probably my favorite GH3 character aside from Tom and Slash, but you know. grin.gif Oh and I love the skeleton outfit for the punk rocker! It's soo karate kid!