Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DOTA2] - Pudge - Bull Samurai Set.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
Update:

[Decided to restart this as i'm not particularly happy with the high poly).

2sagqjc.jpg

Evening,

I've decided to take this in a different direction from the original style of the character and for some reason settled on the idea of samurai armor. I don't want to throw too many details on the sculpt but I will be putting more damage on it to keep in line with the overall "worn" look of the original character. Not really looking to follow the lore of the character, just more interested in how I can take the samurai theme.

BTW, does anybody know if we can use the "back" in-game body attachment to attach pieces to the feet. I've seen people manipulate it so that you can apply additional meshes to the torso but I wasnt sure how it would affect the feet.

Fun project so far :)

fy3dqq.jpg

Replies

• grim1234
    It's actually pretty good. I'm looking forward to seeing it in-game, cause it's awesome. Although samurai theme doesn't really fit this here. When I looked at it I thought it was supposed to be a gladiator-style.
  • grim1234
    Looks great, but I really think the samurai setting doesn't fit this hero at all. When I looked at him I thought he was supposed to be a gladiator, probably because od all the grey, and actually I think that would fit him more. I don't know if you played Dota, but in the game he throws a hook on a chain in order to catch an enemy and pull it to himself (if you say Pudge most people will first think of this ability), he releases awful smell out of his body to damage enemies around him, and he can literally feast on the enemy he caught. Not very samuraish imo, now if you would make him look more like a gladiator instead, that would go along with his abilities pretty darn well.
  • Zoltan
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoltan polycounter lvl 9
    love the smiley lol
  • Pandawa008
    Awesome concept, love the head gear. One thing i would like to see is the chest plate covering less of an area. I just think it would be hard to see flesh from pudge. Also the left arm could get some doodads.
  • shanks37
    pretty wicked idea honestly. it really reminds me of pigsy from journey to the west.
  • DD-best-D
    It looks good, great details, but it really should be for pudge.

It would be far better on a hero like juggernaut, but since he's already has some samurai themed items I suppose you have to try somewhere else so it can get put into the game.

I'd really like to see things made by you actually get into the game.
    http://www.dota2.com/heroes/
    Here is a good resource that will tell you about the heroes in the game.
    It's a great resource so you don't try to ruin the visual appeal of the heroes by mindless slapping models onto random heroes.
  • Isobel
    Offline / Send Message
    Isobel polycounter lvl 14
    haha I like this lots ^^.
    And DD-best hihi jealous? It's an abomination, he could have an asian person stuffed in there, perhaps the brain.
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    looks great, but maybe a bit to clean? I think if you would have started with a 2D concept pic or a simpler block-out you could have saved for some headaches.
    What I would personally do, would be to add some major damage, make it look as if he scavenged the armour from some dead samurai, arrows still sticking out the back, set still bloody.
  • Futashia
    Isobel wrote: »
    And DD-best hihi jealous? It's an abomination, he could have an asian person stuffed in there, perhaps the brain.

Isobel, his critique is sincere and genuine, lets not try to turn this into a flame war please. Keep it civil

Also nice sculpt! Design is interesting and unique, perhaps a little more brainstorming? Maybe you can pump out even greater ideas :D
  • DD-best-D
    Isobel wrote: »

Paying attention to the characters before making items for them isn't a bad thing.

As for having an asian brain, here is a list of his voice work that is in the game.
    http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Pudge_responses
    He doesn't sound, or speak like an asian person I've meet yet.
    I do hope Baj does take my criticism seriously, because the set does look appealing, as I said before just on the wrong hero.
  • bounchfx
    my goodness this came out of nowhere! looks cool, I like the helm the most.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Damm that sculpt is nice! I cant stop looking at that rope :D
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the comments. Update on the sculpt and weapons:

zlq0pv.jpg

Unfortunately, due to limitations with polycount and texture limits, the breastplate will be mirrored and kept fairly straightforward. Originally I was going to have panels falling off asymmetrically but this isn't possible to retain a lot of the texture information this way. I'm sure that this will become unnoticeable once animated.

Will also have to see if I have enough polygons for the arrows too.
    Also nice sculpt! Design is interesting and unique, perhaps a little more brainstorming? Maybe you can pump out even greater ideas

Aye it was a spare of the moment thing and I could have done more brainstorming. I did some dynasketches initially to see how well the silhouette would work and was pretty happy with the result.

Regarding the theme, I'm sure Valve can somehow fit this into their lore but if not its no bother, its a fun theme to work with and i'm happy with the choice I made.
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Looks awesome! can't wait to see it all baked down!
  • agentfx
    phenomenal looking forward to seeing you get this in engine!
  • Sith Happens.
    Offline / Send Message
    Sith Happens. polycounter lvl 18
    I do agree if not very befitting to the character inside dota2... that said, I like the take on your sculpt.. I think you are hitting a sweet spot and making it a memorable set. One of the most important parts of character art. Very nice dood. =)
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    Great sculpt, I think you'll have a hard time keeping it in the polygon limits but it's your challange. It's debatable if this set fits the game or not but I'm here for reminding something else; are you sure you can use geta here? I thought his feet was on the ground and he should be floating in the air for them to work in game.
  • KICKER
    Valve threw the visual style of TF2 out the window pretty quick, why not DOTA2? If it looks killer, they will love it. This is fantastic work man, don't let these DOTA weirdos get you down.
  • Beezow
    The butcher apron looks so very out of place when you make Pudge the Butcher a Samurai.
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    This is looking awesome; I think you're going to have a really tough time fitting it all together and making it look as good as the sculpt while still keeping within all the polygon and texture limits but if you can you'll be my hero.

I'm curious as to what the hook is though; it looks like a tentacle with a piece of metal in it.
  • cakeypigdog
    this is looking great. I love the nose ring :)
  • Futashia
    Beezow wrote: »
    The butcher apron looks so very out of place when you make Pudge the Butcher a Samurai.

at first I thought that too, but from an in-game perspective, that big rope he has around him covers it well enough I think (I hope). But the main concern as someone stated before, the sandals have to go, because it's not a slot, also it will sink into the ground if it was attempted to be rigged on anyways
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
  • lemusic
    amazing as this is, LIKE REALLY AMAZING. it still completely destroys pudges artstyle. i dont know honestly.. its too badass, yet its too dangerous to put in the game.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    I have a soft spot for really out there designs that actually work really well. This one is really out there in terms of the character, but the sculpt and design actually make it work really well. Can't wait to see it textured.
  • tfmcmahon
    Good work. Great job on the design!
  • shanks37
    this isnt even really out there. pudge scavenges from battlefields. ain't no reason those cant be asian themed battlefields.
  • foeffa
    Omg this is epic ...
  • zephyri
    Offline / Send Message
    zephyri polycounter lvl 8
    Can't fault you for your technical skills Baj, you make it look easy! Will be curious to see how that detail translates into the smaller game versions of the character, but I love all the little details in the headpiece :D
  • DD-best-D
    I'm pretty disappointed in most the responses to this thread even after the thread discussion about lore, and if it's fits the character.
    Even the Adam said this before closing the thread.

"Sticking to the lore is probably a smart thing to do, but not required.
    If the piece is fantastic, high quality, cohesive, and not entirely abstract of anything happening in Dota 2 then your chances of being chosen by the judges are high.
    That's not to say its impossible to be chosen as a winner otherwise. It ultimately comes down to how fantastic of an item set you've made and whether or not it will work and work well within Dota 2."

Here is the link to the thread if you want to read through it.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107407

No one has been saying anything negative about this set other than it doesn't fit with the character.
    Everyone has been in agreement that it's model is fantastic.

Kicker - You'll find that DotA players aren't TF2 players, sure there is probably some that played both, but they have already removed a set because the DotA players complained about it's visuals, and lore. TF2's entire cast was overflowing with jokes, DotA isn't. There are more than ten times as many characters in DotA than TF2 not every character is going to be a walking joke that someone can make a silly hat for, and expect it to work, or the community to like it.

shanks37 - "In the Fields of Endless Carnage, far to the south of Quoidge, a corpulent figure works tirelessly through the night--dismembering, disembowelling, piling up the limbs and viscera of the fallen that the battlefield might be clear by dawn. In this cursed realm, nothing can decay or decompose; no corpse may ever return to the earth from which it sprang, no matter how deep you dig the grave."
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    DD-best-D wrote: »
    If the piece is fantastic, high quality, cohesive, and not entirely abstract of anything happening in Dota 2 then your chances of being chosen by the judges are high.

which is exactly what this is. So I don't understand your complain about not enough negativity in this thread because this design doesn't deserve allot of negative replies. This isn't a clown suit or an icecream salesman set. with a couple of lines this set could fit perfectly in the lore, so I really don't understand the complains.

its well designed, is cohesive, its well modeled (high quality) and its not entirely abstract of anything happening in dota2.
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Seriously DD, just leave. You're complaining because not enough people are harassing Baj because his set doesn't fit the character? You're not being constructive at all. In the first post Baj said he didn't care that the set didn't fit so just leave it alone. This isn't the Steam forums, we actually respect one another here.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I love the set and it works well with the silhouette of the character.
    As you stated you don't care cause your making a nice piece of art, in more or less words and I agree do what you want and let Valve decide what to do with It, if nothing else this is a great portfolio armor set or fan art.
    Not really looking to follow the lore of the character, just more interested in how I can take the samurai theme

Do It! :)
  • shanks37
    DD-best-D wrote: »
    I'm pretty disappointed in most the responses to this thread even after the thread discussion about lore, and if it's fits the character.
    Even the Adam said this before closing the thread.

"Sticking to the lore is probably a smart thing to do, but not required.
    That's not to say its impossible to be chosen as a winner otherwise. It ultimately comes down to how fantastic of an item set you've made and whether or not it will work and work well within Dota 2."

Here is the link to the thread if you want to read through it.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107407

No one has been saying anything negative about this set other than it doesn't fit with the character.
    Everyone has been in agreement that it's model is fantastic.

Kicker - You'll find that DotA players aren't TF2 players, sure there is probably some that played both, but they have already removed a set because the DotA players complained about it's visuals, and lore. TF2's entire cast was overflowing with jokes, DotA isn't. There are more than ten times as many characters in DotA than TF2 not every character is going to be a walking joke that someone can make a silly hat for, and expect it to work, or the community to like it.

shanks37 - "In the Fields of Endless Carnage, far to the south of Quoidge, a corpulent figure works tirelessly through the night--dismembering, disembowelling, piling up the limbs and viscera of the fallen that the battlefield might be clear by dawn. In this cursed realm, nothing can decay or decompose; no corpse may ever return to the earth from which it sprang, no matter how deep you dig the grave."

and... did you have a point?
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Since I don't want a contest entry to devolve into a flame war, consider any further discussions about lore-worthiness of this set to be done - everyone has said their piece and any more discussion is just running around in circles.

Since the lore discussion was locked, if you feel a burning desire to continue it, I'm sure the DOTA2 forums or any number DOTA2 fan sites will accommodate you.
  • Captain of The Chalk Ship
    I understand that you all want to be professional artists, and hell, some of you even are. Revolutionary, unique and all that good stuff.
    But as dull as it sounds, that has little to no place in Dota 2. You follow the lore, you follow the character designs, the theme and the setting and that's that. Incredibly boring with all those limitations, I know, but that's what makes it unique.
    But of course, none of you seem to care about any of that so I'll just say this too:

Valve has and will remove items/sets if they receive complaints about them from the community. And because IceFrog is really close to the community, none of the complaints will go unheard. So basically, if this ever gets in-game, it won't stay for long.
    So with that said, I'd love to see you make something which has a chance to get in-game. There is nothing wrong with the models, you just need a better idea.

Flame me all you want, but that's just how it is.
  • RoqueDemon
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon polycounter lvl 6
    Honestly, the set looks awesome but I don't want it anywhere near the dota 2 store, for reasons already stated by other members.
    So basically, if this ever gets in-game, it won't stay for long.
    Even if it wins, the amount of negativity will be too much for it to even touch the store.
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    After thinking this over, i've decided to restart this. Discussed this with some of the concept artists at work and after listening to them and thinking about the overall theme of the character I think im going to take a different approach.

Created some basic silhouettes in Photoshop to give me an idea as to how im going to approach this. In the end I will be focusing on the silhouette and shape language this time around and a little less on the details.

2sagqjc.jpg
  • Some Jerk
    Turning Pudge into an executioner would be awesome.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Yea Executioner is looking promising, but whatever you choose it will be worth the effort. I wouldn't want to deal with the kiddies either so it is understandable the change in plans.
  • jwest
    I love the helmet in the condemned concept, as well as all the chains hanging off.
  • Sharc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    Personally I'd say the condemned.
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys.

Just a quick exploration of the executioner, mainly focusing on the hood and headsacks on the characters back. Will need to do some proper tests tonight on the condemned too.

I might mix and match some elements on the different characters if I go further (for example, "the tortured" left arm with "the condenned" kit).

4jxjpi.jpg
  • Beats
    Offline / Send Message
    Beats polycounter lvl 11
    Really like the new direction Baj. I agree that the executioner is the one to further explore. Nice thumb nails. One thing I'd say is with the lager characters, be careful you dont lose their sense of scale with large and chunky elements like that belt buckle. I agree that with the camera within Dota you will lose little details and often making them chunky works well, but if you replace the large buckle with two smaller offset ones it would not only be more interesting but it will emphasize the weight and scale of the shoulder pad.

Looking forward to seeing the model :)
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    I suggest you check out Axe's executioner set and try to make this as distant as possible. I don't think making an executioner out of every hero is a good idea.
  • Okoo
    The tortured but .. with a different helmet :) with axe #2 and hook #5 !
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Oooh, I'm liking the executioner direction! If you have the polycount left over on the back piece, it may be cool to cover up the apron bit, as it now looks a bit out of place.
  • agentfx
    I know you got some flack for the samurai style one, but I think it'd do amazing on the dota steam store. It not always about lore, I felt like for as crazy as that idea was you pulled it off and it looks insane. Executioner isn't as inspired as the samurai even if it is more inline with the lore. Try paint overs on the samurai set and see if you find what it needs to make you happy. I was jealous it was so good. with the time left I say stick with the samurai set and make something else for the steam workshop if you want later.
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers agentfx,

My decision ultimately came down to both the technical limitations as well as design choice (more to do with aesthetic issues rather than lore issues).

I felt that I could do a better job than the samurai pudge, however I may take that idea and create another character in the future with a similar theme.

For now I will be discontinuing this thread and moving over the the following:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108517