Home Dota 2

Retopology Help. (Stuck on triangle count)

Hi all,

I have been collaborating with another modeller on here, and he did the high poly, so I offered to do the retopology (which is something I've never done before). However, we have run into a problem with the triangle count budget for Ember Spirit. Pictures are below, and any suggestions on where to reduce would be appreciated, because I am stuck!

The lowest I have gotten the low-poly is 336 triangles, and it needs to be 300 or less. Now I know that when it comes to retopology , many people avoid using anything but quads (or atleast thats what I've been reading), however I just don't see that possible with the budget, so you will see I have used triangles in some spots. If you want the .obj let me know too :)

QgYxBIp.jpg

QgYxBIp
js5OA6W.jpg

kMHOsrx.jpg

jJKbDQY.jpg

CD99BMl.jpg Original Concept
BkyMU#1

Replies

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Why don't you just bake down the blade design instead of modeling it in?
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Yep, what slosh said.

Also, triangles are your friends so use them. You're just supposed to avoid using them in areas that will deform so something like a sword is perfectly fine.
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh - what do you mean exactly? Sorry I always hand-painted low-poly models, new to retopo and baking. This is his high-poly ZWTZvuK.jpg

Sukotto, that is what I thought too, thank you for confirming this!
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    When you retopo, don't retopo the designs. Just the blade. Bake the designs down. I don't know how else to say this.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Josh21 wrote: »
    slosh - what do you mean exactly? Sorry I always hand-painted low-poly models, new to retopo and baking. This is his high-poly

Sukotto, that is what I thought too, thank you for confirming this!

You can get away with so few polys with a sword like this. This is what slosh is talking about, insert sloppy paint over here:

TopoPaintover.jpg

You can see how your details would just bake in? Just do that, bake it all in
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ooohhh, are you referring to the plate/bracket that holds the blade in place? In other words, don't retopo the purple object which is in the third screenshot of my post?
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 wrote: »
    You can get away with so few polys with a sword like this. This is what slosh is talking about, insert sloppy paint over here:

TopoPaintover.jpg

Gotcha! Thanks guys you're help is much appreciated, I didn't know you could bake something that thick or full of depth, figured it would have to be another object.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Josh21 wrote: »
    ooohhh, are you referring to the plate/bracket that holds the blade in place? In other words, don't retopo the purple object which is in the third screenshot of my post?

Exactly, don't model that, just make the blade a bit wider and bake it all in... it tastes great baked
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you so much!!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Also, really no need to worry about tris in retopo. Your game mesh needs triangulated anyway.

Quads is really about the higher poly models. Much easier to select edges in rings and loops if they are quads. You put in tris and it interrupts that flow.

Also, quads sculpt cleaner than tris (tris pinch).

But low poly has so few edges, and it just uses one smoothing group + normal map, so yeah, quads/tris no big deal.
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good to know, thank you Baddcog :). I'm learning everyday.
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, not to make another thread - We have moved onto the normal map baking process. He is doing this part, but his bakes keep getting weird results, with black spots and funky artifacts. These screenshots are his, but I am posting because his english isn't the best. (russian speaking)

Originally he thought maybe the retopo mesh had to be all one piece, and not seperate objects for the hilt and blade, but I don't think that is the case, because we we are getting the same results with both kinds of retopos. I believe he used Xnormals for this, but is going to try Topogun. Sorry, we are a bit new to this process as I said in my original post.

Funky Normals
    HhAS6lS.png

UV Layout

i6YczRy.png

Black Spots on AO

EFSbxnp.png
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    it appears the bottom of the blade (oh wait, that's the hilt) under the hilt just is getting rays cast on it, the distance needs to be increased (xnormal) or the baked model needs to have those faces be closer.

Baking in pieces can help clean up the areas that are really close like the hilt touching the handle corners.
    I'm not the best at baking. Generally you should keep the rays as tight as possible, if they are tight enough then you won't get artifacts around corners.

Can you see that black on the model?
    ========
    Also, you've got quite a bit of wasted uv space, you can pack that tighter.
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay thanks Baddcog, I re-did the UVS and baked in Maya. Getting better results, but still some slight black lines down one or two edges on the handle, and blade. Will keep tweaking with it.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    You should also try exploded baking, or baking each piece separately so the cages don't overlap.

And a note about the model, since you're baking the design on the blade you should bevel the edges to show that it actually has depth to it. This is what I mean: http://wiki.polycount.com/NormalMap?action=show&redirect=Normal+Map#Modeling_The_High-Poly_Mesh
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Also, baking is almost never perfect...you always have to clean out some artifacts. It's not hard to do so sometimes it's not worth rebaking if something can be cleaned in 5 minutes.
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, thanks for answers. I learned about beveling edges today and that fixed the black lines. Slosh, I am not sure how to fix artifacts in photoshop yet, but I want to learn. Here is quick viewport 2.0 render of low-poly with normal map.

fVYdHWv.png

Sukotto- I did end up baking seperately because of the overlapping. Thanks!
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still getting my UVs showing up on my bake...hm. I offset my mirrored UVs and have done my best to have the low-poly exactly on top of high poly. Baked objects Seperately to have envelope as tight as possible. The only piece that is completely UV/seam free is the handle (not hilt). Baking in maya....

OF5fnVt.png

FTCaJQh.png
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    you can always load up the normals in photoshop, export the uv's and overlay them to see where your model ends, and just paint over whatever weird colors you see that dont match, be sure to do it in a new layer just so you are able to undo any mistakes.
    9OH9VYk.jpg
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the tip! Do you think thats the reason my UV lines are showing up in the bake?