Home Contests & Challenges Archives

BEAT-EM-UP | Chris Holden

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
cholden polycounter lvl 18
FINAL

Video Walk-Through (be sure to watch in HD)
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jeKWuN2TEc[/ame]

Start
ch_ss_final_shots01.jpg

Destroyed building
ch_ss_final_shots02.jpg

Killer's Apartment
ch_ss_final_shots03.jpg

Back Alley
ch_ss_final_shots04.jpg

Smelting Plant
ch_ss_final_shots05.jpg

Full Level Shot
ch_ss_final_shots06.jpg

150,736 Total Triangles

Texture Sheet, a bit less than total limit (image shows all diffuse, decal and particle textures).
http://chrisholden.net/ch_ss_final_textures.jpg

The deadline submission was my priority. I'll be releasing a download of the level soon.

ORIGINAL POST
It looked like so much fun, I've decided to kill two birds with one stone. I'll be creating a city level with assets I can, after the competition, use in my udk game (which currently has no assets). It's the philosophy I'm telling myself to justify all this. Anyway, on with it...

The layout will begin in the street, enter a building which leads to an apartment, out the back window into the alley and into a large warehouse type facility. Definately the kind of stuff seen in Double Dragon or Final Fight.

Here's a little vid from the UDKs

[ame="youtube.com/watch?v=nn4IPLvRDTQ"]Video[/ame]

Going to pound out some materials tonight, maybe a few placeholder assets, MEH-BEH an asset list.

Replies

• jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice block out so far. Looking good. I can imagine a lot of moving things in this scene and lots of things to grab and throw at enemies!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update vid here,

Pounded out a few materials to lay ground work for the look. It's a bit dirty.

The background buildings came out pretty neat. Got the idea from Double Dragon. The sky is one of Unreal's skies I'm using as placeholder for now. And yes, that's a TV freaking out in the apartment room.

The transition area between sky and play area will be fences and buildings. Then it's prop and go!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxd3VQis-cA[/ame]
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Wow Cholden that background looks ace!

I'm afraid I'm going to make a better one now. Damn you :D
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    that works really well :D looking forward to more awesome!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tonight, I wanted to add some things to bring the level to life. My first assault was into Kismet. With this I added swinging lights, opening doors, breakable windows and so on. I also put in a few particles, decals and light beams. Soon enough, I'll stop making fancy smoke and mirrors and start making assets for this level.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMlzauYqt5Q[/ame]

yea, that's right, I'm going to out-techincal adam & Virtuosic.
  • paranoidMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paranoidMonkey polycounter lvl 13
    Really cool stuff! Love the light and colors of the background and the sense of depth.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    HAHAH! I dunno if you can do that Chris. I really like what you have in place though so far.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    cholden wrote: »
    Tonight, I wanted to add some things to bring the level to life. My first assault was into Kismet. With this I added swinging lights, opening doors, breakable windows and so on. I also put in a few particles, decals and light beams. Soon enough, I'll stop making fancy smoke and mirrors and start making assets for this level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMlzauYqt5Q

yea, that's right, I'm going to out-techincal adam & Virtuosic.

TENTACLE!!!!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A whole butt-ass of updates here:
    Updated start area.
    Redid the sky (with my own sky pic).
    Added metro train to background that appears at a random rate.
    Explosion setup at first door (currently using unreal particle as placeholder).
    Minor changes to interior apartment area.
    Major updates to alley, lots of wires added using UDK's spline system.
    Interior of warehouse built as steel mill with lots of particles and death lava.
    On a silly note, intro/outro UI pop-ups with competition banner.

Happiest with the alley area currently. This area will be great all propped up.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSi_1gBt-j0[/ame]

Since the vid quality is really starting to show, here's some fancy screenshots;
    http://chrisholden.net/ch_ss_wip01.jpg
    http://chrisholden.net/ch_ss_wip02.jpg
    http://chrisholden.net/ch_ss_wip03.jpg
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking pretty cool already. I wonder what awesomeness you'll have by the end of the challenge.

I know it's all WIP at the moment but it might be cool to vary the size and shape of the lava pits in the final area.

The train is a really nice touch, maybe raise it up a bit so that you get that nice volumetric light effect when it passes between the sun and the camera.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    As much as I like what I see... it seems like a lot of details are getting lost in the huge amount of grit and grim you have in this scene, is there a reason why you are going so heavy handed with that?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    too much bloom and lightray loving tone it back or make it somewhat more dynamic and less constant look a t me...
  • ngs616
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This environment is looking really cool. I especially like the two areas you took shots of.. outside of the strip club and the alley.

This will look badass with some more stuff in it.

I think the train should come just slightly later. (1 or 2 seconds)
    I watched the video like 5-6 times and didn't notice it until i read Ben's comment. That train is an awesome feature, though.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I'm loving what you're doing. Keep playing with the bloom settings. You might want to tweak the SSAO settings more if you're already doing that. Coming along great though.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I got a little bit of everybody's here.

Ben, I did raise up the train, remodeled the train (needs materials), put in another train going the other way, and built up a nice track for it. The shadows through the windows do some really cool things.

Jason I think it was like that to hide that there were no details. It'll be dialed out once textured assets start falling in place.

Shep & jeffro, yea those default settings are really intense! I've just started scratching the surfaces with those settings this weekend. Chopped most of them in half or more.

ngs616; the train is set to a random play rate, though it was a little high. So I chopped it in half, but then added another train. In a real game setting, this would be cut way down. I left it a bit high so wouldn't miss it in the video.

Other new stuff:
    Added a bunch of trash props. Animated the clouds in the sky.

Still a lot of totally blank areas. The exploding door area will be a blown out, rubble area, and the flashing TV room will be moderately furnished. The street itself (what player stands on) need more which I'll likely invest more foreground to help cover.

I invested quite a bit of time in optimization. Seems silly for the challenge, but the idea was to also reduce build times.

I few quick things for you Unreal users, After building lighting, the log tab of the Swarm Agent has a lot of useful information. In the Lighting Build Info, sort by % Lighting Time, select high percentage objects (static meshes), and click Go To to see what this is in the world. I like to check a few of these out to make sure it's things I mean to be at the top, and not a whole bunch of tiny, insignificant things.

Here's a video (this time with sound) Edit: I had no idea frap recorded my music player too, so enjoy the Six Feet Under by accident)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lScHjH-ovk[/ame]

Here's a image of the area that got the most work:
    ch_ss_wip04b.jpg

Here's a few little things I put together in Kismet for this competition (note: if you were making a great game you'd want to use unreal script for most of this)

First, if you haven't see the camera setup, here it is:
    http://chrisholden.net/tutor/3rdudk.jpg

To remove the hud, you can go into the console and type ToggleHUD, or you can tell Kismet to put in this command for you.
    Right Click > New Action > Misc > Console Command

You'll need to attach a Player variable to the Target.
    Right Click > New Variable > Player > Player, and uncheck All Players.

With this setup, you can use any of those useful console commands without having to put them in every time. For this level, I used SetSpeed 0.6 because I felt the UDK default run speed took me through the level too quickly to get a good look at it. Also, when I'm working on something at the end of the level, I like to set the speed up to around 3 so I can get there quickly.
    udk-kismet-cvar1.jpg

You can also remove the hud via Cinematic Mode.
    Right Click > New Action > Toggle > Toggle Cinematic Mode
    If you still want to be able to move, uncheck Disable Movement. I leave Disable Turning on for this level since I want the player to run straight down the level. Hide HUD is automatic with Cinematic Mode, and I also like to use Hide Player for testing things without that robot on the screen.
    udk-kismet-cinemode1.jpg

huzzah!
  • paranoidMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is coming along nicely. Feels very dynamic and "alive", keep it that way :)
    Oh.. and thanks for your tips on the UDK camera and stuff!
  • bibhuti.samal84
    Good progress. Environment is stunning. Great work
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    \m/

Fantastic level, I love all the minor details you have going on, I feel it really brings it to life. I've been watching this since the beginning and you truly have made leaps and bounds, congrats. Keep up the fantastic work, and don't stop jamming the metal, it always helps produce top quality work ;)
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    wow great work! the train in the background is cool!
  • Veko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if I were you, I'd drop the level after the jump out of the window
    (but then your trains in the back wont line up anymore)

*edit* and by dropping I mean lowering the streetlevel below the window, to make the jump more epic
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Veko wrote: »
    if I were you, I'd drop the level after the jump out of the window
    (but then your trains in the back wont line up anymore)

*edit* and by dropping I mean lowering the streetlevel below the window, to make the jump more epic

Maybe there could be a staircase in the apartment that would bring it up a level or two. Seemed silly to me to have an apartment right in front of the entrance door on the first floor anyway.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Seemed silly to me to have an apartment right in front of the entrance door on the first floor anyway.

You should see more apartments, and remember it's a side-scrolling game competition where you fall in a lava vat and die.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    JEsus chris! your like this scary game art making machine. It might be cool to mess with some verticality, for ex. taking the action onto a rooftop via stairs or a pile of junk or something. Or maybe the player falls down a big hole, and thats where the industrial area is.
  • mrmmaclean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrmmaclean polycounter lvl 8
    Man, this is unreal!!!!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrmmaclean; I LOVE puns. Thank you!

Ask and ye shall receive! *WARNING* Extremely placeholder assets.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPvWsX641sA[/ame]
    Hey, I'm working FOR you guys.
  • Veko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yees, that's what I meant by more epicness to the jump :)
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol....for anybody at work...don't view that video with your speakers up haha!

Looking good so far!
  • Mind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mind triangle
    I just lost an ear !!!=D
  • woody_294
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And I just nearly soiled myself, and I've been playng L4D2!!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made five broken rebar wall pieces and three rubble piles to destroy the first building. Added a bunch of time explosions too. It's all pretty neat. From there, I took a pass at the elevator. Here's a video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6da1V7mi7Ro[/ame]

Noticed that now a full runtime is longer than 30 seconds (the limit to fraps). With that in mind, I'll probably tighten up a few empty or repetative areas. Also added three secret areas and traps, no spoilers yet!
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good, I hope you'll be able to go full detail everywhere with such a long level, I had to reduce mine's length to be able to stay within 175k tris because of all the concrete slabs and rebar stuff everywhere.

Good luck with it :p
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bunch of new small props, added a mass of destruction and debris to the first building, especial it's entrance. Painted a few new textures, and changed up the end.

Cut out a few large gaps between areas that were eating time and costing resources. Speaking of which, I noticed I'm still pretty handsomely under-budget and haven't don't an optimization pass yet.

Oh, and in this video all post is disabled. And if some materials are funky is because I started setting up a better parent material and don't have any parameters set,

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maytIdVobLc[/ame]
  • glenatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glenatron polycounter lvl 11
    That looks mighty tasty! Love the colour palette. Are you adding anything to the elevator shaft? Cables in the foreground would add a bit more interest to that section methinks
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a molten steel material I crapped out after half a bottle of bacardi
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z_HjT3aXDA[/ame]

It looks like this:
    ch_ss_wava.jpg
  • woody_294
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty cool and not too distracting :)
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    I'll be brutally honest with you on this. Because everytime I see any of your work in the UDK engine I keep thinking: "Man if only he would make the actual detail (props, textures) of the environment first, and then continue to add fancy effects" :D

I keep seeeing video after video with explosions, materials, and lots of technical breakdowns (and horribly loud music that makes my ears bleed :D), that I lately wonder, whether you kinda tend to work more in the tech area of things than in artsyfartsy. Please don't get me wrong, i absolutely love all your work you've done so far and I constantly check your portfolio for new environment stuff, but especially with your UDK stuff I kinda feel that you could have pushed it just a bit more, to make it look really "Next/Current-Gen" - yet it "often" tends to more of a Dooom3/UT2004 look instead.

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's totally cool that you made these elevators and breaking windows work, but in the end the materials are so grungy and rather basic when I compare them to other stuff you did so far. And I really hope you just do it the other way round and make the real detailling assets after you finished all your gimmicks in the scene. Everyone has their way of working and you seem to go the other way round, but I really hope you go the extramile this time, cause it'll be a shame to see the cool effects not shine in an only 75% Holden-Quality-Environment. GoGoGo !!

I already apologize if i may come off rude :/
  • mkandersson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mkandersson polycounter lvl 7
    Nice effects and they really give the feeling you’re running around in a warzone.
    On the logical side of things your level design is a bit weird on some places.
    You run into a destroyed building with a working elevator and go up like 5 stories and then jump out of the window on the other side which is only 2 stories high. Nitpicking perhaps but if I may suggest you jump out and land on a house roof instead?

Keep up the good work!
  • ngs616
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This turned out awesome, Cholden.. Great work!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have run into a delima. This week, my home PC has stopped allowing UDK to run. I'm not sure what's wrong just yet. When i reboot there are tiled patterns of pixels on some boot-up screens. I can't run or reinstall UDK after reinstalling video drivers and reinstalling windows.

My files are safely backed up. I can continue working on them at work or on a new computer (last resort solution). The downside is the large amount of lost time. Things have been going remarkably well lately, so if my computer flaking out is the worst thing happening that's no big deal.

Regardless of all this I will post a download to this level and submit a final on the deadline.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    I have run into a delima. This week, my home PC has stopped allowing UDK to run. I'm not sure what's wrong just yet. When i reboot there are tiled patterns of pixels on some boot-up screens. I can't run or reinstall UDK after reinstalling video drivers and reinstalling windows.

My files are safely backed up. I can continue working on them at work or on a new computer (last resort solution). The downside is the large amount of lost time. Things have been going remarkably well lately, so if my computer flaking out is the worst thing happening that's no big deal.

Regardless of all this I will post a download to this level and submit a final on the deadline.

sounds like video card is moving on to the after life :( Usually weird pixel problems are first symptoms though it might also be your power supply flaking out and unable to give enough power to the video card. So if you have any of the two around/ can borrow would be what I would check first.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fresh system reinstall and replaced video card has me back on my feet. Now to reinstall tools.
  • Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loren Broach polycounter lvl 10
    Hurray! Would have been a pity if you didn't get to finish.
  • paranoidMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats good news! Looking forward to see it finished ; )
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got back into all this with some heavy optimizing. It's easier to reinstall everything as you need it while optimizing instead of getting really into an art piece only to realize every hot-key needs setting up.

Cleaned up most of the extra materials so more things are using a parent. Total tri counts are around 132k. Still plenty of room props.

Started texturing props. Next targets are door/garage door textures, fix up the elevator area and tv room interior. Hope to knock that out tomorrow night, then it's all down to polish.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4z9Z21H578[/ame]

plenty of bugs in the elevator right now.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FINAL

Video Walk-Through (be sure to watch in HD)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jeKWuN2TEc[/ame]

Start
    ch_ss_final_shots01.jpg

Destroyed building
    ch_ss_final_shots02.jpg

Killer's Apartment
    ch_ss_final_shots03.jpg

Back Alley
    ch_ss_final_shots04.jpg

Smelting Plant
    ch_ss_final_shots05.jpg

Full Level Shot
    ch_ss_final_shots06.jpg

150,736 Total Triangles

Texture Sheet, a bit less than total limit (image shows all diffuse, decal and particle textures).
    http://chrisholden.net/ch_ss_final_textures.jpg

The deadline submission was my priority. I'll be releasing a download of the level soon.
  • Jaiza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work Chris! and a big thank you for all your feedback throughout the process
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Jaiza.

Ok, here are the final files
    http://chrisholden.net/ch_beatemup_final.zip

A few notes:

this is slightly different than the final result I posted due to a few needs of releasing a playable environment. However, it still falls under the challenge's guidelines.

There is a lot of garbage in this level. Not in the artistic sense as that was intended, but on a technical level. There are things that in a professional environment I would have done differently, but for this challenge. I neglected many things on account of the deadline. All detail is maintained strictly within in game camera view. Also made the UDK bot visible for this release as it helps knowing your position.

Installation:
    These are raw files, as I do not wish to drop a full installation on anyone with a single level. If you've gotten this far, you probably already know the CH_Beatemup.upk goes in the UDKGame Content directory, and CH_beatemup_Final.udk goes in the Maps folder under that. You can open this content in any UDK build June or newer. You can load it up in game or editor.

Playing:
    You'll mostly use W and S keys (forward and backward). Strafing is availible, but limited (may prove useful for secrets)

Secrets, they are in this level. Can you find them all? The game will let you know if you do. Good luck.

EXTRA SPECIAL NOTE:
    I did NOT setup a custom Post Process Chain. By Default, it will be very high, and not represent the final look of this level. However...

If you search "console" in the content browser, UTPostProcess_Console Post Process Chain will show up. You may wish to setup your own custom post process chain, but for now, we're going to quickly adjust the default.

Open UTPostProcess_Console (double click it in content browser), select the AmbientOcclusionEffect and lower the number for the Occlusion Power. The other settings are useful as well, but this is the immediate "tone down that black stuff" answer. I lowered this number to 3.
  • kysterama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well done Chris! Your help on the forums is very appreciated. Congrats on finishing a cool scene :)
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Nice work man, really like how alive you've made it with all the fx/animated stuff etc. Ending is epic. :)
  • ibarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ibarter polycounter lvl 8

Secrets, they are in this level. Can you find them all? The game will let you know if you do. Good luck.

Found them all, that was actually pretty fun lol.

Loved how your final turned out. Making such a dynamic environment with all the pieces you could interact with really made it come to life.