Home Dota 2

Dota 2 workshop monthly unnoficial competition #8 - September

Replies

• Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    For a practice hair, you doing a nice job!
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Started work on this Crystal Maiden staff today and figured I might as well enter it here as well. This is based on an excellent concept by Foxclover.

Iv8ZS7s.jpg
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    And an ingame preview, think it's about done so just on to promo shots now!

WAfEz3G.jpg

EDIT: Crap sorry for the double post.
  • Sekoran
    Offline / Send Message
    Sekoran polycounter lvl 4
    Second time doing a contest, decided to enter a bit earlier this time then last, for this month it's going to be a PA weapon.

Originally I had both of the blades in the same direction, that really messed up in-game though so decided to flip one, turned out pretty well I think.
    7DiDS1o.jpg

On to the mesh/sculpt it is!
    7DiDS1o
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    And it's finished, thanks for the great concept by foxclover!

The Crystal Gaze
    by MdK and foxclover

200x200.resizedimage

84C6FDD25F11A254DD15EF81FE8FDD83C8E959B9

1B50A2F551091836DBFBC7715D54695DAB82DE2A
  • effespwnz
    Concept completed. Starting my work on high poly model.

Mirana+bow+.jpg
  • Shooo~
    Offline / Send Message
    Shooo~ polycounter lvl 7
    Finished:
    Desolation by Shoo

268x268.resizedimage
  • PatoRadioativo
    Offline / Send Message
    PatoRadioativo polycounter lvl 6
    hey guys,some sketches for Enchantress. What do you prefer?

[URL="[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ZGNIber.jpg[/IMG]"]ZGNIber.jpg[/URL]
  • Zoja
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoja polycounter lvl 6
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    In-game normal and low poly test. Got both LODs and rigging done now, just textures remaining.

--edit-- and the base colour maps

8AoPL7n.jpgqWwozOV.jpg
  • shannxn
    Hello guys!

First timer to post my work here. Guess I'll be joining in the fun this month :D
    Will be doing a head slot for Lina.

Concept & zbrush sculpt by [ 雪 ] Shannon.

Lina_Head_01.jpg

Since I'm not really good in sketching my concepts out, I prefer to do it in zbrush right on since I'm more familiar..
    Here's a rough sculpt of the hair. So fringe or no fringe? That is the question. Giving her the fringe makes her look like Taylor Swift damnit the more I look at it the more she looks like Taylor. *I have no intention of doing so btw haha
    Comments and critics are welcome!

*dang why is my image so small?!
  • Sekoran
    Offline / Send Message
    @PatoRadioativo 5 or 6 looks best imo :\

And that hair is looking really nice Snowstorm
  • Sekoran
    Offline / Send Message
    And that's the initial highpoly done, hopefully it will work well inside of zbrush.

Feels like I should have spent some more time on my concept though :|

hsF6NXF.jpg
  • Darkinub
    Snowstorm wrote: »
    In-game normal and low poly test. Got both LODs and rigging done now, just textures remaining.

--edit-- and the base colour maps

8AoPL7n.jpgqWwozOV.jpg

Is it weird that I find that hair style with mirana + white hair looks super elegant and awesome ?
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkinub wrote: »
    Is it weird that I find that hair style with mirana + white hair looks super elegant and awesome ?

I quite liked the white hair look too actually! Gonna have to play around with that before I finalise the submission. Here's what the completed brown hair version looks like.

atKAS6C.jpg
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Snowstorm wrote: »
    I quite liked the white hair look too actually! Gonna have to play around with that before I finalise the submission. Here's what the completed brown hair version looks like.
    I think it'll work better with spec by color turned up a bit (Blue of mask 2), right now it looks plastic-y from ingame view.
  • branch
    Ahhh, too much to learn and too little time!

I've spent some time with photoshop and now I feel like I'm moving more towards dota2 style textures.

Base colors here, it still needs a lot of work.
    I don't like it very much, but I feel like I'm improving a lot by working on it :)

DpoiarM.jpg

Now that I look at it from a game perspective, I understand how I should aim for much bigger shapes and details.
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    @Vlad, thanks for the critique. As it turns out my Spec by Colour mask was already pure white. I toned down the spec by reducing the spec intensity and exponent, and it does look a little better now.

I'm also having a weird issue - I can't seem to change my preview image, it's stuck on an old one from my AM set. Has anyone come across this before?

Otherwise, here's the workshop submission. Preview pic was pretty good cloud drawing practice. Link to image for white version inside as well :P I think the white hair messes up mirana's recognisability when zoomed out though.

Moonswept Hair by Snowstorm

200x200.resizedimage
  • foxclover
    Snowstorm, that hair is gorgeous. I'm not a fan our the new crown though, looks like her eyebrows are out of this world. If that was the intention, though, don't let me stand in the way. :) It's still gorgeous, and if they add it, I'd probably still buy it. But I'm really not a fan of the shape and placement of the crown. A++ job though!
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    I agree with foxclover, the modeling on the hair is beautiful but the shape of the diadem is reminiscent of skywrath's eyebrows (with added flair, of course) and I think it may distract more than it adds to the strength of your piece. What would it look like if you took one half of the diadem and put it on the side of her hair like a bobby pin? Or possibly move it up above her eyebrows?
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I'd actually not wanted to move the crown thing up because I was kinda attached to that curved detail at the hair line and didn't want to cover it. But after experimenting I think it looks (and flows) better over all now that her eyebrows are back. Edited the submission and the post with the newer version.
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    Yes it reads a lot better now. I too liked the curved detail at the top of the hairline thus the bobby pin suggestion, but I think this works as well. Best of luck to you!
  • Paskie
    Yup, that is some mighty fine hair you have made her. Good work!
  • Sekoran
    Offline / Send Message
    looks awesome, great work!
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    shannxn wrote: »
    Hello guys!

First timer to post my work here. Guess I'll be joining in the fun this month :D
    Will be doing a head slot for Lina.

Concept & zbrush sculpt by [ 雪 ] Shannon.

Lina_Head_01.jpg

Since I'm not really good in sketching my concepts out, I prefer to do it in zbrush right on since I'm more familiar..
    Here's a rough sculpt of the hair. So fringe or no fringe? That is the question. Giving her the fringe makes her look like Taylor Swift damnit the more I look at it the more she looks like Taylor. *I have no intention of doing so btw haha
    Comments and critics are welcome!

*dang why is my image so small?!

about the image size, its probably the link you got, here is yours on a bigger size =]
    Lina_Head_01.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, some news about the last month contest

for now our judges are:

Moose - founder of JoinDota and one of the guys behind for the Free to Play movie
    LD - Founder and Caster of BTS
    Anuxi - the Workshop Princess =]
  • Paskie
    Tvidotto wrote: »

for now our judges are:

Moose - founder of JoinDota and one of the guys behind for the Free to Play movie

Woohoo! That's great!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
  • shannxn
    Hello!

A quick update from me! -Visit my Steam workshop here-
    Got to the stage of texturing Lina's hair for now. Hope you guys liked it!

Here's the highpoly, sculpted in zbrush.
    lrun.jpg

Then to lowpoly and bake + base color.
    0dpa.jpg

And finally, rigged. Here's a shot in-game.
    47g0.jpg

Can barely see the cavity details in game, sad max. Will try to enhance it when I get the texture done.
    That's it for now! Stay tuned for the next update :)

-Visit my Steam Workshop here-
  • Tomus
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomus polycounter lvl 5
    shannxn wrote: »
    Hello!
    Got to the stage of texturing Lina's hair for now. Hope you guys liked it!

Can barely see the cavity details in game, sad max. Will try to enhance it when I get the texture done.
    That's it for now! Stay tuned for the next update :)
    came out really nice ! Looking forward for those enhancements ! : )
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    treasure_chest_emerald_polycount_large.ec518b8453432bdc1bbc477580fe488317d6232d.png

Congratulations everyone!
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    :D

I hope it's not just the dire month, I didn't submit anything for the comp that round!
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Same, Frump ^^

Somebody on reddit mentioned the Polycount Dota 2 competition in a thread about the chest and it didnt even occur to me but I'm really hoping that we get another Polycount Dota 2 contest this year. Last year was a ton of fun and produced a SHITTON of awesome submission, something we can hopefully do again
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    well it's called the "emerald polycount collection" and not just the "polycount collection" which at least hints that there may be other polycount collections of other names. I'm more interested in what's in it. no other items added today were from either of the last couple of competitions if i'm not mistaken (which i may be)

*edit. i retract that. i think at least 3 are..but that's not really a chests worth
  • K-PAX
    Offline / Send Message
    K-PAX polycounter lvl 7
    Tvidotto wrote: »

for now our judges are:

wow.great.
    treasure_chest_emerald_polycount_large.ec518b8453432bdc1bbc477580fe488317d6232d.png

Congratulations everyone!

This chest looks amazing~ hope there are some month competition items in it.
  • branch
    Phantom Assassin Great Helm by Branch

F9bb7sd.jpg

Here it is. I hope I am improving, at least :)
  • Sekoran
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished highpoly

BLuocmW.jpg

Should really have spent more time on the concept and added the small details, takes so much more time when trying to figure them out while in zbrush :|

Still pretty happy with the end result though.

Edit: Flat shaded in-game preview. Pretty happy with it right now, on to painting :)

AsgFdFC.jpg
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    im gonna be modelling a wr bow for a set i drew a few months back.

vA6XBvY.png
    this is the original concept, basically the idea is to have a sculptural bird relief thingy on the top and an abstract art deco-ish lower half.

all the current wr bows have vertical symmetry so i figure this'll make it stand out. budget is really low and depressing, so the normal map will have to do a lot of lifting.

nlmCO1q.png

these are some rejigged thumbs, the original birds were looking more like chickens than classy avian predators. still a lot of random overlapping bits on the lower half but i've done away with all the hollows so it should be less of a pain.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha, its amazing that they added the chest =]

i wanted to tease you guys before but by i preferred to wait till something concrete =]

and about the voting, Cyborgmatt helped too, on its own words:

[9/14/2013 7:20:37 AM] Matthew "Cyborgmatt" Bailey: "It was bloody hard picking from this list, I honestly enjoyed all of the entries. Keep up the good work guys!"
  • AlexDascal
    Are the chest items gonna be from last month's competition or from September?
  • Sylei
    Offline / Send Message
    Sylei polycounter lvl 5
    I'm doing some hair for Lina, here is the highpoly and the textured lod0 :
    c6nrlIM.jpg
    VsY2rBy.jpg
    I need to think of a better pattern for the scarf !
  • Sekoran
    Offline / Send Message
    beetrootChan really impressive bow there, lovely design.

Sylei, pattern isn't bad think it's totally ok. Seeing as it's a simpler shape it should be really easy to see in game as well, having to much detail just makes it a blob instead.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexDascal wrote: »
    Are the chest items gonna be from last month's competition or from September?

no idea =] they are going to surprise us =]
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys i have a msg from Wykrhm too, he is going to be on of the judges for last month

"It is absolutely insane the amount of top quality content that is being produced every single time here on Polycount. It's great to see so many cosmetics deliver not just on the technical end but also make for such great fittings in every other branch. You guys are doing an exceptional job and contests like this are only helping boost that exponentially. Brilliant stuff."
  • kendmd
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    Hey Tvidotto, just wondering, who was the winner of the July competition? I couldn't find the result of the contest, but I think I might have missed the announcement.
  • Dvonio
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    Hey! have time to do more items so was browsing poly and found this :D

Want to do something for it! but wait a second, in the rules it says:

the final submition need to be a single item to a Radiant Hero

and Im seeing here, pa, spectre items that are dire, so the rule is just female hero or female radiant hero?

Thankss! :D
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    you are a month or two late atm

the single item for radiant was 2 month ago i think, after that was a single item for dire hero and now is single item for female hero
  • Dvonio
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    so the rules on #1 are outdated? so its just female hero this month? :D ty!
  • Onion Knight
    Hey guys!
    I was thinking of doing something like this for cm. I was hoping to see what you guys thought before I went further with it.
    crystal+maiden+-+force+staff+002.jpg
  • Joker_47
    Offline / Send Message
    Joker_47 polycounter lvl 6
    I'm gonna change that eventually (I will add more tentacles probably)

T6iPuR0.jpg

@Onion Knight

Not bad

@Sylei

I like it, nice ! Maybe you should put some kind of dragon, or her chest symbol, on the scarf, but this is just quick ideas, i'm sure you'll make something much more interesting than my suggestions :P
  • Zoja
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoja polycounter lvl 6
    I made a second version of my CM staff because the ingame view was not good etc. I wrote in to the description of the new item what I have changed.

new:
    Snowflake ver2 by Zoja

4sf1y.jpg