Home General Discussion

PSA: The Sketchook Section Exists

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
cholden polycounter lvl 18
Digital Sketchbooks section http://www.polycount.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53

Stop posting your sketchbooks in Pimping. The moderators have it hard enough as it is.

Replies

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    People don't like to post in sketchbook because it gets 1/25th the views, and less replies as well. It's just not a high traffic form. It's cool some people use it, but because of the low view counts a lot of sketchbooks get overlooked. Maybe we should include one sketchbook thread a week in the weekly recaps?
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD wrote: »
    Maybe we should include one sketchbook thread a week in the weekly recaps?

+1
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Honestly, I don't even go to PnP anymore, just too much stuff to even keep track of, so even looking at sketchbooks is out of the question for me.
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I think most of the time it depends on what you're looking for when you post. If you're posting stuff just to post it or show it off, then sketchbooks are fine I think. If you're looking for critiques it poses a problem as hardly anyone goes into the sketchbook thread.

I mean, right now there are 5 people in sketchbooks and 70 in P&P. If I'm looking for a critique or exposure which one would I pick after seeing those numbers? If there is a way to drive more people into looking at sketchbooks, awesome. until then...
  • EarthQuake
    Sketchbooks section is pretty dead, I don't fault anyone for posting in P&P instead.
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I like posting in the sketchbook section. It's dead as hell but that almost makes it more interesting. It's almost entirely full of things that are not as finished, or people who are looking to track their own progress, etc.
    praetus wrote: »
    I think most of the time it depends on what you're looking for when you post. If you're posting stuff just to post it or show it off, then sketchbooks are fine I think. If you're looking for critiques it poses a problem as hardly anyone goes into the sketchbook thread.

This is a little backwards. All the for show and exposure type stuff usually winds up in P&P - even if people are looking for critique on it. Sketchbooks are almost entirely full of studies, sketches, things people are working towards over extended periods of time (their artistic skills as a whole). This is probably why the P&P section gets more views.

I like the section because it feels like more of a roulette than a battle. I don't feel like it's a battle to get noticed or that I have to post things that are amazing to get seen or before I get wiped off the front page. I can just post, and know that it's there if anyone is interested. It's also more organized than my own folders at lot of the time, so it's a quick way to find images or review my own history. If I get a response/critique to my sketchbook, I feel like someone went out of their way to get there. Someone actually was interested, more than just "saw this in WAYWO, neat".
  • Lephenix
    Offline / Send Message
    Lephenix polycounter lvl 6
    I created a sketchbook thread to showcase my work, my progress, and also to get critics and comments, but there's like no activity in this section of the forum. It needs highlights or something to show that this section does exist ^^!
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I feel like I am one of the worst offenders of this, if not the worst :D

I really don't see why we would need different sub forums for this, it's all about showing of work.
    With splitting it in two sub forums one will always get less attention.
    Personally I like having one thread with what I do instead of having a bunch of them.
  • CapableWizard
    Offline / Send Message
    CapableWizard polycounter lvl 9
    Two Listen wrote: »
    I like the section because it feels like more of a roulette than a battle. I don't feel like it's a battle to get noticed or that I have to post things that are amazing to get seen or before I get wiped off the front page. I can just post, and know that it's there if anyone is interested. It's also more organized than my own folders at lot of the time, so it's a quick way to find images or review my own history. If I get a response/critique to my sketchbook, I feel like someone went out of their way to get there. Someone actually was interested, more than just "saw this in WAYWO, neat".

This ^

I understand that my sketchbook would get more replies and views in the PnP section, and for me that's cool. They are two different feeling sections - PnP is about showing off, you post stuff that looks great or you don't get comments (generally speaking). The sketchbook section feels like, well, a sketchbook. I tend to post stuff even if it looks like crap to me.

I think I actually prefer it being quieter, I'm not constantly stressing about whether anyone's commented. And when people do comment it tends to be someone who has stopped by before, someone who's tracked your progress :)