Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Zipfinator

Replies

• ant
    looks cool,,you have a solid process of model evolution.
    have you a shot of the wrench in hand yet ?...it would really help visualizing the weight of the thing in the engies hand as well as see if the hand size of the engie muffles the slimmer wrench.

good job and i really like ur silhohete tests further back!

edit*
    one more thing , about that coloured handle thing every one seems to like?......i wouldnt.. the original dosent and very few weapons do so whats the point? weapons are designed to be class specific not team specific

paint chips on a cast object?
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I'll see if there's anything I can do to make the edges of the grease a bit more pronounced.

Also I would put it in the engies hand, but I've never really messed around with posing in Max. I guess you just move the bones around? If I can't get that to work I'll put the normal wrench beside it for some sort of size comparison.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a crappy little render I did with the Engy holding it.

engy.jpg

And here's a picture of the wrench using Xoliul's viewport shader. This is more what it will look like in TF2.

Wrench_render_12.jpg
  • Xeramon
    Nice idea and skin ;) I hope we will see more ^^
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Started work on the can of oil.

oilcan_render_01.jpg

There's another slightly larger dent on the other side. That wide open area is where the main label will be so I didn't want to dent it up. The top of it is opened and has a plane for the oil. In game it'll have a jiggle bone so it moves around like the Jarate.

Tomorrow I'm going to UV and texture it. Then hopefully I'll be able to get the oil and the wrench in Source as their own weapons so I can check them in poses in the Model Viewer. I've already tried getting them in game as model replacements but it didn't go so well. If I'm having trouble getting them to work as weapons I'll definitely get them in as static props so I can test out some phong settings. Hopefully I'll be able to start work on the hat too.
  • Naso
    I think the wrench would look a lot better if the bolt part that is not closed was just slightly bigger.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't get a ton of work done today. I got the wrench in game as a replacement for the current wrench but smoothing was messed up on the hand models and the position of the hands was off a bit so I didn't take any pictures.

Also I redid the dents on the can so they'd use less polygons and UVed the can. I'm going to texture the can tomorrow and get both the wrench and the can in game as physics objects just to get good phong settings for when I submit. I might also start a little scene made in TF2 to show off the items.
  • Khthon
    What's it look like from first person? If it looks too similar to default, maybe you could flip it in his hand with the bolt tightener thing up? Donno, just thinking.
  • duoxan
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    DKK wrote: »
    I second this motion.

all in favor say ai
    while i agree that you dont have to do it, i believe that it would add that much more character to it. either way, nice job
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    I still really don't like the idea of colored handles. It doesn't fit at all with the type of dirty mechanic aesthetic I'm going for and for this wrench to be functional with handles I'd need to do one at each end which would look silly.

Anyway I've updated the first post with the most up to date renders of the models. Tomorrow I might also finally start writing up short little descriptions of the items and spend some time coming up with proper names.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Started the texture on the can.

oilcan_render_02.jpg

Going to start doing the MANN CO labeling on it and make a red version.
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Why is everything getting the Mann Co. label these days? Team Fortress 2 has a ton of fictional companies and I, personally, would much rather see people making up new fronts for RED and BLU than seeing Mann Co. dumped on everything.
  • chickenman
    Zwebbie wrote: »
    Why is everything getting the Mann. Co label these days? Team Fortress 2 has a ton of fictional companies and I, personally, would much rather see people making up new fronts for RED and BLU than seeing Mann. Co dumped on everything.

Well, Mann Co. is the weapons provider for the TF2 mercenaries.
  • Some Jerk
    Why is everything getting the Mann. Co label these days? Team Fortress 2 has a ton of fictional companies and I, personally, would much rather see people making up new fronts for RED and BLU than seeing Mann. Co dumped on everything.

Yeah, I'm gonna second this.
  • SixTwoSixFour

Thirded. Personally, I think this would make for a good Biggs product.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the theme of my entry is the Mann Co. Mechanic's Kit so that's why I have Mann Co on mine. Also Mann Co. is known through the TF2 lore to give weapons and supplies to the Red and Blu companies while all those other billboard companies listed are just to give more depth to the maps. We have no idea what business they're in and from the looks of them it seems to just be simple retailing or industrial services, not supplying weapons to mercenaries.

EDIT: I guess I'll try out having a BIGG's logo or something on the oil can. The hat and the wrench will definitely be staying as Mann Co though.
  • vcool
    Why is everything getting the Mann Co. label these days? Team Fortress 2 has a ton of fictional companies and I, personally, would much rather see people making up new fronts for RED and BLU than seeing Mann Co. dumped on everything.

TF2 revolves around Mann Co. They supply the two sides with weapons, and why the fuck would some industrial company hand out weapons for people to fight each other?

Mann Co. is like ACME in Looney Tunes, it's the omni-present corp that does ridiculous consumer goods of ANY type.

It had crossed my mind that perhaps one could introduce some kind of rival corp (Femm Inc. lul) but I bet you all the hardcore TF2 fans would go berserk since it's non-canon.
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I like the company called Zippy Plow since it is similar to your name :)

No but seriously Mann Co. is known by all and it is a wise decision to stick by it.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Mann co. is the only company affiliated with Saxton Hale. That is enough reason to use it everywhere.

SAAAAAAAAXTON HAAAAALEEEEEEE!
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    vcool wrote: »
    TF2 revolves around Mann Co. They supply the two sides with weapons, and why the fuck would some industrial company hand out weapons for people to fight each other?
    Mann Co. was only introduced in 2009; TF2 got along fine without it for two years, so 'omnipresent' isn't the word I'd use. Every single Engineer item but the pistol is confirmed to come from TF Industries (source). Anyway, part of it is my own admiration for the elegant anonimity that TF2 had back in the day that has me riling up against this, but the other part is that Mann Co. appears to me much of a cheap bandwagon, like when everyone felt they were clever for pointing out that the cake is a lie.
    I'll shut up now!
  • Khthon
    Aside from thread derail about fictional companies, which I personally don't care about, you could always have different companies/labels for the different teams Oil Cans.

Sort of the way BONK! has two different designs/flavors/labels for the two teams. Would make your submission stand out a bit more.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm going to try and do two different labels/colorings as you suggested Khthon. Right now it has the Mann Co. label and a bit of text but it's not that interesting.
  • Khthon
    Awesome, can't wait to see where you go with this.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    oilcan_render_04.jpg

Here's the colored cans with the boring Mann Co label I mentioned in my previous post. I think it looks alright but it could be much better. I'm not quite sure what to do for them though if I make them unique companies other than Mann Co. I searched for some references but didn't find many interesting ones and I don't think it'd work out well if I just make something up. Guess I'll keep searching for references until I find something I can parody. If anyone has any suggestions on what to do I'd love to hear them.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Mann Co. was only introduced in 2009; TF2 got along fine without it for two years, so 'omnipresent' isn't the word I'd use. Every single Engineer item but the pistol is confirmed to come from TF Industries (source). Anyway, part of it is my own admiration for the elegant anonimity that TF2 had back in the day that has me riling up against this, but the other part is that Mann Co. appears to me much of a cheap bandwagon, like when everyone felt they were clever for pointing out that the cake is a lie.
    I'll shut up now!

Mann co. is a division of TF industries, along with Spytech.
    http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Mann_Co.

Aside from that I like that tf2 has a small amount of canon. It makes the world the game takes place in a lot more interesting in my opinion. I think it worked out well that it was introduced over time and not spoon fed all at once.

Zipfinator: I think you could use INDUSTRIAL , Goldstream Fuel or General Industries for the lubricant. On one team it could be motor oil and on the other it could be anti-freeze or something. It doesn't have to be two different companies, just two slightly different products. eg Bonk! cherry and Bonk! blutonium
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    oilcan_render_05.jpg

WIP of the Red can. I like the unique logo but I feel it needs more. Simple text like I used on the Mann Co can really didn't work as well. It definitely needs something other than just the logo though.
  • Khthon
    My friend, I have a haul for you!

Vintage oil cans aplenty for inspiration!

oilcanmain.jpg
    oilcans.jpg
    oil-can.jpg
    2691938459_d824123883.jpg?v=0
    6a00d8354704f253ef01157128df47970c.png
    mercury_oil_can.jpg
    blakely%20oil%20can.jpg
    Lata%20SINGER%201.jpg
    johnson-ethyl-egc-1930s-met.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeepers! Thanks for all of those! I googled around for a while but only found one or two good references. I'll pick out a few of those and see if I can actually make any of them well enough in Photoshop. Update later today or tomorrow.
  • Khthon
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Started the Red logo/skin. Better or worse than the earlier ones?

oilcan_render_06_red.jpg

Also I have a question. Do you think maybe I should come up with a company similar to Bonk? This way the other motor oil would be based off of the same company, just a different type of oil and with a blue skin instead of read similar to the different flavors of Bonk. I think it'd make a bit more sense for a weapon/item and would make them feel less like map props turned into items.
  • Khthon
    Yeah, a unique company making two kinds of Oil would work pretty well! Gotta pick a good name (TexOil? Texas Tea? Yellow Hat Oil? Bee Cave Brand Oil?) something that goes with the Engy background.

This is looking much more interesting than the previous text-only ones. So much potential! :cool:
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'm liking it a lot better. Still I think I'm going to scrap this one. It looks like I need to free up a lot of UV space too. This label is looking a bit pixely and it's the main thing. I'll come up with a few ideas for a company tomorrow and start writing things. I need a small break from texturing/modeling and it's better to plan this out before I go onto texturing them.

I definitely like the Bee Cave idea that you suggested as it is his home town. Going to write a formal to do list and get it done tomorrow. What'll basically consist of is thinking of this company, coming up with a list of possible item names and starting the backstory/writing in the items and the theme. I know that's not necessary, but it'll be a nice break from modeling/texturing. I know I said I'd do this the last two days but I got sidetracked with texturing and such. Hopefully I'll be able to focus on this tomorrow and get it mostly done.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Greased Piglet motor oil. Smooth and Slippery.
  • Khthon
    Yes, I agree about doing some back story writing for kicks. For some reason I really like the fluff!
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Compiled a small list of some names before I go to the store.

Greased Piglet

Bee Cave Oil Co.
    Bumbling Bee Oil Co.
    Bumble Bee Oil

Texas Slick
    Texas Slick Fine Motor Oil

Right now I kind of like Texas Slick.
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I quite like "Texas Slick Fine Motor Oil" although maybe shorten it so:

Texas Slick Fine Oil so maybe have the first letter form the logo:

T.S.F.O.

Looking good mate. Didn't you add a dent to it though?
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah there are two dents on it. You can't really see them from that angle though since I didn't want to ruin the labels. I think I need to move them a bit towards the label though and make one of them larger.

Also I'm thinking Texas Slick will be the name of the company. I'll add onto the name though based on the product. For example, Texas Slick's Smooth Engine Lubricant or Texas Slick's Fine Motor Oil.
  • Meower
    Royko's cup of su- err, OIL!
    Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • Ikimono
    Alliance Towing - Red team
    Goldstream Fuel - Blu Team
  • EvilShadow777
    Texas Slick sounds the best. You don't see "Bonk Energy Drink and Co." listed in big letters, so I don't think the full name should be on the can.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Texas Slick sounds the best. You don't see "Bonk Energy Drink and Co." listed in big letters, so I don't think the full name should be on the can.

Yeah I'm going to use Texas Slick as the main logo/name. The Fine Motor Oil will be more like the flavors of Bonk.
  • Meower
    Make the engie use a shotgun made out of a few pipes, sentry gun scrapped pieces and other junk :P
  • Khthon
    Texas Slick -Oiling since 1865 in Bee Cave, TX-
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Khthon wrote: »
    Texas Slick -Oiling since 1865 in Bee Cave, TX-

Ooh that's good. I'll try to incorporate something like that into the logo/can design.

Working on the writing and hat model now. I'll post pictures of the hat and some of the writing once I have a bit more close to being finished.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a render of the WIP hat. Or 6 if you want to be technical.

hat_render_1-1.jpg

I think I'm going to make it a bit smoother in areas. I have a lot more polies before I hit the limit.
  • Khthon
    You could add a strap like on old service station hats

vintage-mechanic-photo-getty-580.jpg

and/or a badge of some sort
    service-station-1a.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Eeeh not sure about that. I'm trying to go for something like this.

300px-Scruffy_2.jpg

I'm trying to have most of the detail in the folds. I think I need to exaggerate them a bit more as it's looking sort of blobby right now. Also I'm planning on adding a Mann Co or Texas Slick logo there when I texture it.
  • Khthon
    Ah, I saw that, just thought the additions I suggested might give it some needed detail. I'll wait for the folds/logo version to see how it looks.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'm testing out a few different folding methods and it's turning out pretty well I think. I'll post up pics soon when I have a bit more done. It definitely makes the rest of the hat more interesting though.