Home Technical Talk

is it possible to inset shapes in photoshop

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Olli. polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, ive got a vector shape in photoshop, and i would like to inset it to create a perfectly even border. Its a bit hard to explain so heres an explanatory picture:
inset.jpg

so anybody have any ideas?

Replies

• uncle
    I think maximum filter (filters->other->maximum I believe, non-english version at work) will do the trick. But it only operates on rasterized data, mind you.
  • Adam L. Gray
    Well, the closest I got was with select > Modify > Contract, which gives you something like this. No rounded corners, but a diagonally slanted shape still.

szsxgb.jpg

Now, I'm not too spiffy with the vector tools in PS, I personally find them a bit awkward. But having used Adobe Illustrator a fair bit, well, a few years back, but regardless, you'd think it'd be as easy as setting the border-thickness and colour of the shape and done :x

/edit: Oh, uncle beat me to it, with a method that seems even better at that :3
  • Olli.
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    uncle wrote: »
    I think maximum filter (filters->other->maximum I believe, non-english version at work) will do the trick. But it only operates on rasterized data, mind you.

ah that looks like its doing exactly as requested. the border thickness isnt completely constant but ill have a little play around with it to see if i can make it work :)

thanks both of you!
  • fatihG_
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    You could try recording an action.
    Make 4 copies of the layer and move them diagonally.
    1 upper left.
    1 upper right.
    Lower left.
    Lower right.
    merge layers.
    Selection from original layer.
    Invert selection.
    Delete.

Note that i do not have photoshop open to test this. But this would probably be the method i would try first.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If you have CS6, you should be able to set up a stroke that has sharp corners vs rounded. I only have CS4 though so I can't confirm

Edit: http://bjango.com/articles/photoshopcs6strokes/ (Vector strokes, towards the middle of the article)
  • k@rt
    Offline / Send Message
    k@rt polycounter lvl 6
    Couldnt you use the border function somehow? The inner border gets rounded but the outer border doesnt i think.
  • throttlekitty
    Have you looked into using layer styles? (nasty workaround, this). using inner glow you should be able to get the shape you want, but likely need to create some temporary layers/copies to trim away from that.

super super late edit: this doesn't work, it gives results as seen in the OP.
  • Minato
    Offline / Send Message
    Minato polycounter lvl 5
    Hey, I realize you are looking for a way to achieve this in Photoshop, but if you have Illustrator handy, it actually has a 'Offset Path' function (Main Menu>Object>Path>Offset Path), that does exactly what you are looking for... As far as Photoshop goes you'd need to work around this as mentioned above...