Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    Heres a shot of the front landing gear:
    wheel.jpg
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    look forward to seeing this progress, if the rest as the same quality as the gear it should be pretty awesome. are you going to model the whole cockpit too?
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    Hey just thought i'd post a picture of the finished rear landing gear HP.
    rear_wheel.jpg

ive made a lot of progress, most of the plane is low polyed and baked already, so i just need to finish up the landing gears and then ill get to texturing!
  • Kroma!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    Love the amount of detail you are putting into this! One question though, how did you do the Dunlop text? Is it just floating above the surface of the wheel?
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Awesome highpoly! Looking forward to seeing more.
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    Kroma! wrote: »
    Love the amount of detail you are putting into this! One question though, how did you do the Dunlop text? Is it just floating above the surface of the wheel?

I UV'd the wheel and slapped a displacement map on it.

the only downside is that i need to crank the smoothing to 6 or 7 iterations for it to actually work properly :P
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good, but I couldnt help to notice that its going over budget. :P
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    ive decided to throw budget out the window and make it as good as possible. Obviously im going to low poly it to the best of my ability but with all the wires and such its going to be quite intensive :P My "budget" is that it runs with decent FPS in a simple scene in UDK/CE3

For some idea of what the polycount is going to be, the low poly front landing gear is currently standing at 6.1k tris, while the rest of the plane is around 9k tris (not fully complete, will still rise a tiny bit)

im expecting the rear landing gear to be quite lowpoly compared to the front, probably less than 4k a pop.
  • Bee-Bee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a sucker for jets. Liking the progress so far. Yeah those tiny details like wires on the landing gear that aren't wrapped into a unified section will chew up your polys like crazy. But if you're cool with that then keep rockin it (and you can always point out the polycount if landing gear is hidden)
  • Kroma!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    Ah I see, personally I would question the need for it if I can get away with adding it to my normal map using the nVidia filter or something similar. It just seems a bit of an overkill unless the wheel will be seen a lot.
  • joshmtyler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joshmtyler polycounter lvl 5
    There is some weird lumpiness in the Jet model, itself. I would like to see some wireframes for the Jet. It just feels like you didn't put as much effort as you have in the landing gear. The landing gear looks great though.
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    I had a lot of trouble making the surface smooth, because i had to add a lot of support loops everywhere because of the cutout landing gear holes, and those support loops made it hard to get the large surfaces perfectly smooth. What i ended up doing for the main body bake was to have a secondary HP model without the holes, and then just combined the two normal maps to get both the bevels on the landing gear holes and also the smoothness on large surfaces.

here are pictures of the baked LP model:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15275414/F-35C/bottom.PNG
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15275414/F-35C/top.PNG

heres pictures of the first HP model i used to bake (it has the holes but its very bumpy topo):
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15275414/F-35C/HP1.PNG
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15275414/F-35C/HP1_wire.PNG

and here are pictures of the smooth fuselage i used to bake the larger flat areas:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15275414/F-35C/HP2.PNG
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15275414/F-35C/HP2_wire.PNG

I guess its not the most efficient way to do this, but really its the only way i could figure out how to get both the sharp edges with bevel and the large smooth areas.

If anyone has any tips or ideas for future reference i would be very extremely appreciated.

As for the landing gear, I did think about just having a strip of polygons and just baking the wires in using alpha, but I decided against that because it would look a bit flat from some angles. I will most likely make LOD versions of the landing gear.
  • ljsketch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
    landing gears look awesome. very nice detail. did you use nurbs to build the fuselage?
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    nope, never used nurbs before.. isnt that like some sort of vector based surface thing?

might look in to it.
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaPtoR_v9600 polycounter lvl 4
    This is so great love jets and your details are awesome great work bud
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    just finished a massive job on baking the landing gear/bay doors and sorting out a lot of other crap. just realized its 6:40 in the morning.. Time just flies when youre having fun huh? :poly142:

anyways i thought it would be a shame to go sleep without posting a pic first:

wheel_bake_01.jpg

ill post up some proper pics tomorrow after i bake one more AO pass on the fuselage (then ill be done with baking!)
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    alright so bake is finished (except for the turbine... i forget something every time)
    the landing gear maps still need some love in photoshop to make sure moving parts arent leaving ridiculous AO stains at their default position. Other than that im pretty happy with the results overall. One thing that i still do need to do is make the insides of the landing gear bays (currently theyre just holes in the fuselage :P) but im going to put that off for a while so i can refresh myself with some texturing work.

plane_bake.jpg
    fuselage_baked.jpg
    gears_baked.jpg
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    Right i need some advice now..

Pretty much everyone i have shown these bakes to have commented on the insane detail in the landing gear being disproportional to the rest of the plane.

now the fuselage is just as detailed as i reckon it needs to be. My main plan for this plane is just stick it in a scene and just render out some pics for my portfolio.. pics will be full-scene pics so there wont be any ultra-closeups of the body.

then again, the way i have made the landing gear allows for very detailed animation of the mechanics, im thinking would add a nice touch to have a few closeup videos of the landing gear moving around (doing landing gear stuff)

so anyways.. what do you guys think i should do? optimize the landing gear more (and sacrifice detail) or keep it as it is for quality's sake.
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Personally I think you should keep the landing gears as is and add more subtle detail everywhere else...looking the plane itself there's not much detail to the sleek body design...all I can think of is adding the missiles and slight signs of body panels in the image. F-35+Lightning+II+Joint+Strike+Fighter2.jpg
    Or putting the same amount of detail into the cockpit as well. The nuts in bolts in the landing gear would also look good placed accordingly everywhere else also.
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    been hard at work on the texture over the weekend and just finished my first blockout pass. Tried something different this time and made everything using vector shapes, and imo it worked out really nicely. at least my workflow improved a lot since vectors are a lot easier to edit than rasterized shapes and they dont lose definition when you move and rotate them around a lot.

and some pictures:
    (these are all diffuse and baked normal only, so more normal details and specular will come with my second texture pass)
    texture1_1.jpg
    texture1_2.jpg
    texture1_3.jpg
    texture1_4.jpg

I found some better hi res reference pictures recently and ive figured out how the turning wings really look so ill be doing a few adjustments to the mesh before i continue on with my second pass on the texture.
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    been working on the texture some more! consider it still a WIP, im probably going to make the specular a tiny bit less flat (its mostly a problem with the gloss, im not very good with gloss in marmoset :D)

texture2_1.jpg
    texture2_2.jpg
    texture2_3.jpg
    texture2_4.jpg
    texture2_5.jpg

going to take a break from the fuselage now and start texturing the landing gear.
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    heres a shot in CE3 with the decals and landing gear:

cry1.PNG
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The cockpit interior could use some additional work.

The area around the engine nozzle doesn't match the actual aircraft.
    F-35nozzle.jpg
    The specular value for the fuselage is much too high in the final picture - the aircraft is painted in the Navy's standard matte "low vis" paint scheme.
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    yeah theres no cockpit at all. thats why im using the orange have glass dome as a placeholder until i get around to making it. going to finalize the rest of the model first so i can put it in my portfolio before i get to work on the cockpit.

the engine nozzle thing isnt 100% correct on my model, i might do something about that later but for now its close enough. the Ref you posted is first of all from the A variant and probably an older/newer version than what im using as ref. (there are so many versions and iterations of this plane that im losing track myself :P)
    heres the zigzag pattern on the engine: http://www.internetlooks.com/f35ccf01100c.jpg

as for the the paint, thats a good point and ill see what i can do about that asap.
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    heres a small scene i made for it.. still wip

wip_1.jpg
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    continuing work on this, hoping to get the cockpit done by summer :D

here's the flight stick i finished last week, no floating details

flight_stick_HP.jpg
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    Here's a throttle!

throttle_HP.jpg
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Looking good! The renders on your site are nice as well.

Looking forward to seeing this finished.
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    beefaroni wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing this finished.

you and me both :D

centerpanel.png
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    heres a chair
    chair2.jpg

and also an overall shot of the cockpit so far:
    cockpit.jpg
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    you are fast man, the coCKPit looks awesome...looking forword for LP:D
  • Havoc89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havoc89 polycounter lvl 11
    That is some mighty fine modeling you got there.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Are you using Cryengine ?

Fast pace and nice quality... I salute you dear sir :D
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    TAN wrote: »
    Are you using Cryengine ?

some older pictures in this thread are from CE, but theyre all outdated.

Im going to retexture the whole plane for PBR, and whether or not i use CE depends entirely on if it supports PBR by the time im at that stage. Else ill probably end up using UE4

also thanks everyone :)
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    I finished the cockpit HP last week, and took a little break from doing productive stuff to do something fun :)
    (give it a moment to load, the image is quite large)
    http://triangulatemesh.com/envmap_viewer.html

and heres a boring old image if the panorama thing doesnt work
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15275414/F-35C/cockpit/cockpit_milestone_01.jpg
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    That interactive cubemap is seriously freaking cool. LOVE IT!
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    Lowpoly finished sometime last week. I plowed onwards with unwrapping and forgot to post a pic, so i guess better late than never :P

cockpit_LP_wire.jpg
    cockpit_LP_wire_2.jpg

Took me 4 days to unwrap it all, next i need to arrange all the UV shells but that should be relatively quick.

THEN finally get to baking/texturing
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Looks amazing. Can't wait for the baking! Will be really cool to see :)
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    looks really great!
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    started texturing with the seat.
    This is my first time texturing for PBR, and one of the first things ive noticed is its a lot easier to get good results, but a lot harder to get great results :(
    Maybe it'll get easier with time

chair_texture.jpg
  • Sebvhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    Just discovered this thread, at first I noticed a huge gap between your modeling skills and your texture/shading skills, but that last screenshot with the seat just disproved everything I thought.
    Maybe the result is a little too "clean", but that might be what you wanted. Nevertheless I'd consider giving it a try by adding a few scratches and things like that.

Anyway, keep working on this, I'm sure it will blow my mind anytime soon :)
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    That interior looks awesome. You should submit this entry to http://makearmanotwar.com/ as the ArmA 3 community seems to be in dire need of an F-35 ;)
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    wow thanks for bringing that to my attention :P, ill have to find out what the deadline for that is, but its definitely something id consider if theres enough time.

@Sebvhe hahaha texturing isnt my strongest suit, but ive been trying to improve and i hope it shows :D and yeah im going for the out-of-the-factory look, since this plane technically isnt even in use yet, but i guess some wear cant hurt.
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    lots of texturing has been done. Everything but the canopy is "ok"
    i think ill do a color offset pass once im done with the canopy just to give it a little more pop.

meanwhile here's the center panel. Spent all day looking for a good font for the SFD but came up with nothing so i had to make my own.. still took me like an hour since ive never edited fonts before.. At least it should match the real thing now 99%
    centerpanel_textured.jpg
    also here's a nighttime shot so you can see the cool effects!

or not see them. its pretty dark, but night is dark so deal with it :cool:

PS: drat i just realized the top screws on the SFD are black for whatever reason.. theyre not supposed to be black :'(
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    aite i think im going to call the interior texture finished..
    put it in cryengine to render some screens

cockpit_textured_01.jpg
    cockpit_textured_02.jpg
    cockpit_textured_03.jpg
    cockpit_textured_top_01.jpg
    cockpit_textured_top_02.jpg
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    First of all i want to give a shoutout to Xendance for bringing the MANW contest to my attention and making my life a living hell for the past 3 months.

All jokes aside, Im done bashing my head in to RV4 because the addon is finally done!
    You can download it here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=330990595 (arma 3 required obviously)

Here are some pics:
    dqrG9W3.jpg
    wI4F3Yb.jpg
    o5SVT8B.jpg
    60WAIbM.jpg
    IpfRzj2.jpg

and the rest you can find in this album: http://imgur.com/a/BDLpS
  • Odeca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odeca polycounter lvl 3
    Congratulations for the release.

Tested it, You absolutly deserve a victory for the contest, Olli.

But as I said on the forum, why rivets are inwards instead of outwards on the normals?
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Awesome dude! Been following this thread for awhile and it's cool that it's finished!!
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    theyre not rivets, theyre screws which are sort of inset in to the surface... No extruding rivets on the f-35 cuz of all the stealth hoo haa. I didnt want to make them completely flat so i just kinda inset them like a screw in to wood

edit: also nice that you like it :) means a lot