Home Unreal Engine

export from maya to unreal missing polygons

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
seven polycounter lvl 13
This is my first time exporting from maya into UDK. I have tried many things and I feel like I'm out of options. I am using maya 2010 64 bit and the actor x 2010 x64 plug-in. Here is what I've tried.

- I have removed normal information in the mesh and export
- I have averaged the normals and export
- I have set the normal angle and export
- I have conformed the normals and export
- I have used display>polygon>face/vertex normals to make sure the faces are pointing in the correct direction. before each of these exports.
- I have exported the mesh from maya as an obj, imported it into zbrush and exported it as a new obj and reimported the new mesh into maya to export in an attempt to remove any extraneous information that may be hidden in the mesh and export.
- I have triangulated the mesh in maya and export.
- I have triangulated the mesh using the actor x ase export.

I have done any number of combinations of the above with the same result. This mesh has been imported into unreal from modo as a static mesh before and I just tried taking the same obj exported from maya into modo for an ase export... it worked.

My problem is that I am rigging this character in maya and would like to export animations in the future. Because modo doesn't have animation capabilities with weight maps I can't do it there. I am stuck doing it in maya at the moment. When I export a psk file the mesh is better but disappearing polygons in the ase file are lighter in color.

I am at a loss. Any ideas?

Replies