Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character for Unity Demo

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Polynurb polycounter lvl 15
So I am working on a character for a PC demo basically to see how far I can push Unity visually without terribly impacting it's frame rate. It's going to basically be a learning session for me before I attempt to create a full on playable game level. Right now its the basic start of a military type character. Here are some screens of that progress... Note: This model is still very much a WIP right now...both for modeling and textures. I have not started the normal map sculpting either which should really take it where it needs to be. As of now he has a 512x512 head texture and a 2048x2048 texture for the entire body and any accessories. He's also running around 7600 tris right now.

WIP-2.jpg
WIP-3.jpg
WIP-4.jpg
WIP-5.jpg
WIP-6.jpg

Replies

• Polynurb
    Offline / Send Message
    So far this is the progress...nearly complete on the modeling and texturing portion and then onto skinning this character and creating his in-game animations. Yes he's missing texture sections on his arm cuffs...the bottom of the trousers...the boots and other areas. Still working on filling those in and dirtying them up as well.

Marine_WIP_Latest.jpg
  • LEViATHAN
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think it has some serious proportional issues that need fixing.
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    dont model shoe laces...

ever
  • Havok
    Offline / Send Message
    Havok polycounter lvl 14
    Looks alright. Some fixes:

-Head a bit too big
    -Legs WAY too short
    -Arms may be short, can't tell until legs are fixed. You can check the proportions of the arms by putting them at his side. If his finger tips fall at about the middle of his thigh you're good :)
    -Arsh is right, lose those laces

That's probably good for now. Fix 'em and post it.
  • Polynurb
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I can see the head being too large.... um as for the legs, oddly enough was critiqued on them earlier when I first posted about checking by the heads height...and he is the perfect amount of heads tall proportion in the legs at least according to the head he has now. The latest image is after I did the proportion revisions. I can lengthen them more and see how it looks. As for the shoe laces...I can lose em definitely. As for Facegen, yep...used a set of photos from a friend of mine to produce a custom head.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Look at the distance between the knees and the feet. Imagine him with no pants or shoes. Doesn't that look weird to you?
  • Polynurb
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah I see I think I know whats throwing you off. The top of the boot and the boot blousing of the trousers is actually mid shin, well actually slightly lower...so it creates an illusion that his leg is shorter than it is.