Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly HandPaint Art Jam March 2015

Replies

• Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uberren polycounter lvl 11
    I either just screen grab directly from the viewport or do a quick render with default lighting disabled.
  • josfield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally got some time to work on my Leprechaun again. I worked on an environment for her to stand in and also on the colors. No big improvements on the textures for today.

EhPd3Ne.png

@Port_Seven: I tried a few things with the redering settings in 3ds Max but I forgot what exactly worked in the end...
  • pixelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    Still a week left! I'm doing Brendan Gleeson as Father James from the movie Calvary. I watched it a few weeks ago with the boyfriend and...it's a really good movie, guys. LOTS of Ireland.

brendan_ref_zps1rtcn5bz.png

I'm trying to reach the level of quality/realism as this:
    ga_pitt_wireframe.jpg
    Though I may not go as low-res. I also intend to keep most of the detail in the face and hands.

brendan_wireframe_zpstkrj9axb.png

brendan_face_zpshescqxvq.png

Now that I've had a chance to start painting the face, the issues with the mesh are a lot more apparent. I'm going to tweak the geometry some and then go back to painting.
  • pixelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    @Port For my stuff I use toolbag and add my texture in the emissive slot of my material at half strength. I use a directional light, also at half intensity, plus a strong rim light. No AO or postprocess. Gives a good balance between light and texture.
  • fluor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fluor polycounter lvl 6
    great stuff everyone!! * v*
    Port-Seven: that guinness looks really yummy~
    josfield: Really nice! She has attitude hehe I think she could use a bit of an overall bottom-to-top gradient though
    Uberren: so cute =D
    pixelb: this looks really good already *__*

I did this little something over the weekend
    I think this art jam is a great idea and I hope to do something more for the next months :3 (like, whole characters...)

I browsed the mood board and then searched for banshee and found this interesting picture :D
    so my picture is kinda inspired by that
    it's not optimized or anything, just having some fun :3

VykE00g.png
    here is a link to the wire and map
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    @pixelb: Awesome to see you join in! The likeness is coming along nicely.

@fluor: Really creepy banshee!
  • Port-Seven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Port-Seven polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the info, guys. :)

pixelb -- I'll have to try that method out, sounds interesting. Nice texturing, too.
    fluor -- Your banshee is definitely creepy, great job.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    5days left before the awesome April theme ^-^
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
    @Odow Thanks for that color mini-tut! That should help me a lot as color is one of my weaker areas. I was diagnosed with a type of color blindness when I was a kid that really hurts me as an artist.
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Port-Seven wrote: »
    Jeni Newbi -- I like the way your ribbon falls. Maybe add another edge so the bend doesn't look so sharp on the piece to the right? I also like the idea of the stacked coins but I don't think the silhouette is very strong right now with that single column. I'd put a few more stacks around it so the shape reads more like a jagged pyramid.

Here's my update: second attempt at a brass material for the tap (still a WIP in some places), tried to paint more spec into the grate, and added a bit of reflection to the glass. I still have to find a nice way to attach the tap to the grate. I will put the Guinness logo on eventually, too. :)

guinness_wip002_zpsqcfr44ap.jpg

I had a green beer last night and thought it would be great to make as well if time permits! :D A stein glass would be a pretty good texturing challenge I think.
    That Guinness looks absolutely spot on to a freshly poured Guinness that is "cooking"! Great work.
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bishop313 wrote: »
    Happy St. Patricks Day!! :) Found some time to get my highpoly done.
    Now it's time for some retopology.

tumblr_nldsfkGS681u0nwbfo1_540.png

That sculpt is super legit!:poly142:
  • josfield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice to see that a few more joined the jam close before the month ends :-)

@fluor: It direktly reminded me of the witch in snow white XD
    http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131118171233/disney/images/6/60/250px-Snowwhite-creencaps.com-8944.jpg

It really looks creepy :D

Here is an update of my Leprechaun:

8USXpTb.png

YpyjXzc.png

I'm looking forward to the theme of next month's jam ;-)
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Hi garcellano!
    I think it looks quite nice for what it is.

I would say you could push the strap and buckle on the hat a bit more though, as right now it is reading very flat.

@Uberren: Thanks for the critique! I kept it in mind when I was re-working on it. Your handpainted squirrel model looks pretty cool, btw.

Here's my 2nd approach on the Leprechaun hat. I re-did the UVs and gave it another paint pass.

tumblr_nm0c9dCgzg1ricnv1o2_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nm0c9dCgzg1ricnv1o3_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nm0c9dCgzg1ricnv1o4_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nm0c9dCgzg1ricnv1o1_r1_540.jpg
  • Port-Seven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Port-Seven polycounter lvl 7
    Last day of the month!! Had to try and finish this up as much as possible at this point:

guinness_handpaint_zps7frua56u.png

Looking at it now, I think the grate reflection in the glass is a bit too strong and the tap could use more love. I also tried out a different type of grate altogether but it didn't work out as well as this one in my opinion.

Everything (except for the Guinness foam and shadow) is a horizontal tiling texture! Also, I blended materials in order to get the reflections if anyone is curious in order to keep the textures tile-able. It was an interesting way to do this but I think I'll use more unique textures in the next challenge. Great fun! :)
  • josfield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Port-Seven: I don't think that the refelction in the glass is to strong. Thanks for sharing your workflow on the reflections :-)

@garcellano: I like the concept of your hat and the gold in it. Also, the print on the coins is very nice.

@Odow: Thanks for the pinterest-Tips board ;-)

I edited my last update. I wasn't sure, whether I was done at that point. Added a final submission image :-)
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was real late to this party so I decided to just do a little tiling texture, and add some hand painted 4-leaf clover meshes for interest.

gbUlA0ch.jpg

DfZc9ivh.jpg
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    josfield wrote: »
    Very nice to see that a few more joined the jam close before the month ends :-)

I'm looking forward to the theme of next month's jam ;-)

Sassy as fuck!
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    My Meadow environments~ I would actually had finish it on march 31 but i had to prepare the challenge, then a lot of thing happen and instead of doing the render i just work next into my next project :P you can see more here on my personal thread.
    T7WLSDU.jpg
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
    Odow wrote: »
    Hey Guys ! I know we have some beginners here, so I create a Pinterest board to put some useful information about light, painting and color. Not hand paint tutorial, but things that are important to know ! :) Feel free to poke me on skype or MP me so I can add your useful tips! Pinterest Board

Here's a good explanation about color palette !
    07cd0c31874f1e239c6ee19848cc1f02.jpg

Dude, Love ya! I used this technique back in university, loved seeing it as a tutorial do. So good! Mixing colours is such a good way in obtaining amazing colours. Thanks a tonne! Pinned it!
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    [SKETCHFAB]1d91ca2e4e514aabab7926bc8b41fe14[/SKETCHFAB]

And rising from the dead like a zombie I give you the Dullahan. It took me way to long to finish this.

Edit: And a fun 2D Version.

the_dullahan_rides_forth_by_darkmag07-d8v0i6a.png
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    She's so cool <3 Can't pin that on the pinterest board however :