Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Flower Girl Meets Tree Ent Scene.

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
DiHydro polycounter lvl 6
I'm creating a hand painted mini scene as a portfolio piece. I've tried all different styles of art and hand painting is the one I enjoy most, so I'm putting my focus on it to improve my coloring and lighting. I've been working on becoming an environment artist, but I still have a passion for character work so I'm going to combine both disciplines to create a simple story telling scene.

I've already been working on this and here's what I have so far. Any level of advice/critiques/thoughts/comments from beginner to professional will be greatly appreciated, it's always good to have fresh set of eyes.

I created some rough concepts of the scene layout and possible textures that I will be making.

FlowerGirlScene_Concept.jpg

FlowerGirlScene_Plants_Concept.jpg

Initial concept of the girl, I later looked up Disney style proportions and incorporated it into my character.

Hung_Tu_FlowerGirl_Concept_01.jpg

Next up is the tree ent.

============================= Current Progress =============================

Hung_Tu_TreeSpirit_Composition_01.jpg

Hung_Tu_FlowerGirl_TurnAround_01.jpg

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    small feedback here:

as much as it's tempting to try to shade particular areas, try to resist... use large sweeping shades (almost like ambient occlusion) on the skin, rather than focusing on specifics. by focusing on areas like the ankles, eyes, and nasolabial folds, you're making her look really old.

in terms of the sculpt itself, try to be less definitive of muscle groups, the neck for example looks like the neck of a woman in her thirties who hits the gym all the time but has loose skin around the tought muscle. her neck would look better almost as just a cylinder. smooth out the nose a little, there's a weird "pig nose" bump going on.

her eyes could benefit from the slight oval shape in the concept, it reads better in general.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The eyelashes are much too thick; they look like dark holes in smaller images. With her hair they should be almost invisible.

Her feet look very sharp and angular, especially around the ankles. I'd recommend softening and smoothing them.

You might replace the thick blue trim under her bodice with a ribbon & bow, placing the bow in either front or back. This would also let you play a bit with materials - cotton for the dress & satin for the ribbons.

You might want to do a few simple color swaps to try out different dress & hair colors in the scene.

The tree might look better with generally upward-tilting branches. The hole at the top of the trunk feels rather forced. A bird nest might serve as an interesting accent, possibly even a hat of sorts.
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the great feedback guys.

almighty_gir: I did have trouble keeping her looking young. I'll try the bigger sweeping shades and smooth some forms out.

Dwalker: Will definitely have thinner eyelashes for the low poly, most likely alphas. I'll fix the feet as well as soften a lot of the defined areas as gir also suggested. I like the ribbon idea, going to add that on the next fix. I'll try drawing more iterations of the tree.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    The young looking part was something i struggled with when i did some work for Disney. it's harder than it looks!
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the girl and ideas for the tree.

Softened forms and got rid of detailed shading that made her appear old.

FlowerGirl_WIP_06b.jpg

Couple of color variations, I wanted colors that would not get lost into the green grassy environment.

FlowerGirl_WIP_05B.jpg

Played around with some ideas for the tree.

TreeSpirit_Concept_02.jpg

I kind of like the two trees version, like a yin and yang. One tree has a positive attitude and rounded shapes vs the sharper and grumpy face of the other.

I was also thinking of getting rid of those bulky shoulders to make her appear more mobile and less formal. Maybe emphasize more on dress pattern designs.
    FlowerGirl_WIP_07b.jpg
  • felipealves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipealves polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, nice style!

The girl looks much better.

I loved the first tree, looking forward to see how you'll do it.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where you should go with the models really depends on where you want to go... what's the story behind the girl and her tree?

Is the tree a wise adviser, old and tired, or embittered? His personality will - at least to an extent - dictate his appearance. Decide on one, and you'll have the other.

Personally, I rather liked the puffy sleeves, but, again, it depends on the story. Is she a girly-girl, an adventurous tom-boy, or a good student? This might also dictate her appearance - is she spotlessly clean, or does she have a smudge of dirt on a cheek, or some grass stains on her knees? Also, consider accessories - books held by a strap, flowers...

I think the pink/red or blue/blue are probably the better options, but the yellow/blue also works well.
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    :) i like nr3 color variation :>, looking forward to see this done:)
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    s1dK wrote: »
    :) i like nr3 color variation :>, looking forward to see this done:)

I agree :) nr3 instantly popped to me as being the best
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Yup. I also would choose nr 3.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Why Girls have a good passion and talent for Handpainted Stuff ^^ ?
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The story I wanted to portray for the girl is that she comes from a clean and well mannered family that lives in a well populated town. The little girl on the other hand has a soft spot for nature is carefree and loves to explore and occasionally runs into trouble.

The wise old tree spirit has been secluded from humans for a very long time and upon seeing the girl it is delighted by her presence. The tree spirit has a past association with humans from "the dark times." It holds no grudge of the past but is well aware of the good and evil capabilities of man. It has lived for a very long time fulfilling its "duty", but its life is soon coming to an end and the secrets inside of it will be unleashed into the new world.
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the positive feedback everyone.

Hard to decide which colors to pick I think no 3 looks pretty attractive as well, but I think I've decided to go with the pink and red because it complements with the very green environment.
    Gazu wrote: »
    Why Girls have a good passion and talent for Handpainted Stuff ^^ ?

I'm actually a dude, haha. But you're right There are a ton of great female hand painted styled artists that frequent here that have inspired me with their work, Faf and Jessica Dinh come to mind.

Here are some more concepts for the tree spirit.
    OldTree_Concepts_03.jpg

I was going to extend my idea to two trees but I think I should stay on course with my initial idea of one tree. I always have new ideas floating around in my head and I end up never staying on track. However I do need to show an element of evil somehow... I might just sculpt some evil faces to its sides... tree spirit, warden of evil.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd go with tree #2, with #4 as a distant second.

I think the sense of evil would be better from the background than the tree. Perhaps the tree & glade (from the original concept) are in bright sunshine, while it is surrounded by a dark and foreboding environment. Perhaps it's a bright clearing surrounded by a somewhat sinister forest. Even a spooky shadow being cast from off-screen and approaching the girl could work, but that seems rather dark.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    check yourself in the mirror, what happens to your upper lip when you smile, specifically to the mid section below the nose. How does it influence the cheeks, and the eyes
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DWalker: I like number 2 but I want to have the tree spirit appear a bit less intimidating so I combined number 1 and 2. I want him to appear worn through the ages and wise (almost like Yoda). I'll probably add fungus, moss and vines for visual interest and to add to the age factor.

I totally like that surrounded by darkness idea, I may try experimenting with it. My project is getting darker than I intended, but all the more interesting.

OldTree_Concepts_04a.jpg

Rough shape of the tree spirit so far. I'm still thinking about how I'm going to texture this thing. The conventional method for trees are just tiled textures, but I'm treating this as a character. So I'll probably do a combination of both unique texture for the major areas and tiled recycled textures for the twigs and leaves.

TreeSpirit_WIP_01.jpg

Neox: I'm not too sure I nailed your critique well enough but here it is. The changes are very subtle, but I hope I fixed the issues. I made her upper lip appear stretched horizontally. I made her nasolabial fold more apparent, gave her cheeks more volume and lower eye lids raised slightly.

FlowerGirl_WIP_09b.jpg

Thanks for the crits again! It's helping a ton.
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Great looking character! I bet lots of animators would love to animate it, if it would be available. :)
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have any plans to share any of my project files currently, Gheromo. It could be something I could consider in the future after I reach my goal.
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More tree sculpt updates. I'm still working on tertiary details and trying to make the scale work with the character. Also trying to fix the "wormy" feel of the roots.

TreeSpirit_WIP_02.jpg

TreeSpirit_WIP_02b.jpg

Will sculpt leaf and modular branches next
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The trunk & roots are fine, if the grooves are a bit deep, but the branches just don't feel right. They are blobby and seem undirected. Did you have a particular species in mind? A beech tree looks somewhat similar to what you have:
    448895-beech-trees-epping-forest.jpeg
    Notice that the branches are mostly smooth, with only the occasional knot or gall.

I'm not saying that you can't create your own tree species, but just as stylized humans are based on human anatomy, stylized trees should be based on arboreal anatomy. (Sorry... couldn't resist the alliteration. :P)
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    Cool project. I'll be tuning in to see the finished product.
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dwalker: I didn't have any species of tree specifically, I just gathered a bunch of different references and tried to create my own. I fixed the blobby branches, it was something that bothered me too. I feel a bit better with what I have currently now, but I think it wouldn't hurt to refine it a bit more. I'll be adding more smaller branches with leaves in the final version.

jhoythottle: Thanks, hopefully I can keep focused and actually finish! Working on it bit by bit.

TreeSpirit_WIP_04.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think a more typical shelf mushroom would be a better fit. There are some types that have stems, but they tend to stick closely to the trunk and look like, well, shelves. The dryad's saddle would be an apt fit:
    dryads+saddle+1.JPG
    You might also consider them having contributing directly to the face rather than merely serving as ornamentation. They'd make excellent eyebrows.
  • miamigator09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like DWalker's reference images, I think those are more of what you're looking to do with the mushrooms. However, I like the way you're using them as decoration, it might make the face too busy if you start using extra props- the face reads easy enough as it is now.

Great progress!
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the new mushroom more too. Using the mushrooms as eyebrows seems like a cool idea, but I might have to play around with the design a bit more. I might even use moss for the brows instead.

TreeSpirit_WIP_05.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Keep punching! THIS IS GONNA BE SO CUUUTE!!!!

:D
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    tree seems too symmetrical at the moment, are you going to be addressing that?
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holiday work hours kept me away from my art but now I'm back and refocused. Getting away from my current job is my biggest motivating factor.

Pixelpatron: Fixed some symmetry issues as well as add more details. At first I was planning to mirror the textures over and add props to break symmetry to save texture space, but decided that it'll be more interesting if I just focused on aesthetics and instead worry about the technical side after.

TreeSpirit_WIP_06b.jpg
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit of a jump from where my last post, but here's what I've done so far.
    Retopologized the tree spirit and mushroom (not as clean as I'd hope, but getting better at it.). I modeled some branches, as well as baked down the leaves I sculpted. I used my xNormal AO bakes as a guide for painting. I jumped back and forth between 3D Coat and Photoshop for texturing.

TreeSpirit_WIP_10.jpg

Next on the list is the grass and ground.

Critique and comments very appreciated, thanks.
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    Beautiful! Any way to get the definition we see on the trunk and branches on the roots? Right now the beard isn't as defined. Looks slightly blurry. But great work overall!
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle, thanks. I'll put the roots on my to do list.

My grass so far, hand painted from scratch.

Grass_WIP_01.jpg
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dirt tiling texture, need to adjust the tiling pattern a bit.

Dirt_WIP_01.jpg
  • josfield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the tree sketches and the model! :-)
    I also think it looks really good, that the roots are less detailed and darker then the rest. It emphasizes the part above them, which should have the main focus, right!?
  • Orb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    one thing you can try since you are baking with Xnormal, is baking a "bent normal map". From this bent normal map (which is pretty much a world space normal), you can go on the rbg channels and copy the green channel and paste it on your photoshop texture. Use it as an overlay 30% or something like this, this will have for effect to bump your model on the diffuse like a top light.
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joesfield, thanks. Yeah the face was my intended focal point, but I think I can probably add some roughness to the texture a bit as johoythottle has mentioned. I added some subtle brush strokes for texture to the roots, I may be able to push it more if I need to.

Orb, awesome tip. I added that green channel lighting information to the treespirit texture and it does help pop out its features more. This'll be useful on tiling texture sculpts if I go the sculpting route.
    TreeSpirit_WIP_11.jpg

Started the full scene blockout and rock sculpt.
    TreeSpirit_SceneLayout_WIP_01.jpg
    RockSculpt_01.jpg
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying out UE4, heres my current layout progress.

FlowerGirl_UDK_Scene_01.jpg

Needs some more props, color tweaking, texture/tile resizing.
  • TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Loving that tree face! Can't wait to see this finished.
  • Bolovorix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bolovorix ngon master
    Really loving this. That tree looks great and I really like your flower girl.

You're doing a nice job with the textures but "personally" I would like to see a little variation just to break it up a bit. Something simple, like maybe taking a grungy image off of cgtextures, blurring it, and playing with the overlay modes and opacity. Just my 2 cents.

That being said it looks really awesome and I can't wait to see then final result!
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    that tree is beautifull!
    Looking forward to see more!
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little by little...

I decided to stick with Marmoset, added a light source now vs the unlit mode I used before. Hopefully the placement looks ok.

TreeSpiritScene_WIP_03.png

TreeSpiritScene_WIP_04.png

TreeSpiritScene_WIP_05.png

Bolovorix, I agree with the variation. Tried what you mentioned with brush strokes. Something I need to continually work on.
    Thanks for the positive feedback TomGT, Tits.
  • .nL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    I like it, but the grass is a little distracting (at least to me). The color just feels a little strong, and really just sort of dominates the scene.

It's a little nitpicky, and I could be wrong though.
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    also i think the sceneries brightness takes a lot from the intensity of those awesome painted tree eye glow!

would love to see some "in-scene" renders i think it will be an overall great piece when done!
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL, I check the contrast on the scene by desaturating the colors and turning into a black and white image and I think the reason why the grass was so dominate was because of the dark contrast it had against the lightness of everything else. Thanks for helping me see that.

skodone, I lowered the brightness of everything else except the focal point as you pointed out. Thanks for the comment, the composition is looking more balanced now.

TreeSpiritScene_Contrast_Compare.jpg

TreeSpiritScene_WIP_06.png

TreeSpiritScene_WIP_07.png

TreeSpiritScene_WIP_08.png
  • .nL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    Awesome. The scene's looking great. Keep it up!
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yeah!! now the trees character is super strong :D
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Improved clouds and added a gradient to the sky.

TreeSpiritScene_WIP_09.png
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    What i'd really love to see here, is a night time panorama, bring the glow out on the eyes. And pair that with some glowflies and camera DOF effects, could look amazing.

for the glowflies, simple cubes with an emissive material scattered randomly in the for and backgrounds, the depth of field on the camera would cause them to blur out in really cool ways.
  • Jetty218
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jetty218 polycounter lvl 5
    looking lovely, really well textured love the use of color and design, well done so far
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm a bit darker shadows around the long bark piece (straight above the mushrooms?)
    would give the tree a very nice definition i think
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir, I experimented with your night idea, I think the scene does look more interesting with night. I can actually mess around with the lighting rather than using a dominant directional light.

jettly218, thanks I'm trying to improve my texturing the most so thats good to hear.

skodone, I tried to add that bit of shadow on that lump you mentioned, since I am experimenting with a night scene now I can add some rim lighting to help bring out the form more.

I decided to add normal maps to the tree spirit and rocks considering I'll be adding more light sources now.

Experimental shot.
    TreeSpiritScene_WIP_12.png

Overview of layout.
    TreeSpiritScene_WIP_11.png

The alphas for sure have been giving me problems. The glowflies appear a bit grainy on the edges, but I guess the depth of field will kind of mask that away.

Looking at it again, maybe I can create a darker sky with stars. Add more polygons to the cloud plane so it doesn't appear so straight.

Thanks for the crits everyone.