Homeโ€บ Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota 2] -Skeleton King - TBD

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
Current Progress:

setpresentation.png

First Post:

So after an unfortunate start I have decided to do the Skeleton King. These are the weapon concepts I have so far. Some of them didn't come out as good as I hoped and look a bit thrown together. So I may be doing more weapon concepting.

skelekingswordconcepts.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Replies

• DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    I remember you. You were the guy with those awesome sword designs.

I like number two. I like that the blade is lodged between two jawbones and the shapes it creates. Can't wait to see more...
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm unsure if I should go back to a more traditional looking sword. These might be a bit overkill on the bones. -_-
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Damn, these all look awesome! Gotta agree with DashXero, my favorite would be number 2
  • LuCh!
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    i like 3 the most!
    but that bison skull is making it look to desert-ish maybe?
    a combination between 2 and 3 perhaps, since the others seem to like 2 the most
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Your weapon concepts are pretty inspirational Clyptic. Personally i like elements of 2 and 4, blade and jawbones from two, handle and the bone/steel blade combination close to the hilt of 4.
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    I like 4 the most, mainly because everything is merged together. The parts on the others look a bit pasted on.
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright so I took the #2 design and remade it a bit. Reason being, I don't think I would be able to fit the jaws and skull into the polly count. I think I will stick with something close to this one, I don't want to spend to much time on just concepting.

skelekingswordconcept3.png

• Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some color, need to move onto the rest of the armor now.

skelekingswordfinal.png

• DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    DUDE! The new design for the sword is SICK! I really like the use of cheekbones to make the hilt!
  • MasteroftheFork
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    That design is really cool, I don't think I've seen a skull manipulated like that before.
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Good looking sword, I am looking forward to the rest of the set.
  • Kromus
    I agree. The new design of number 2 is an excellent touch, specifically around the hilt.

I liked the idea of 4 being so boney and, I suppose 'organic' but I think 2 does a much better job all around. Looking forward to how the rest will follow the style.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Oh man, that new sword design is badass. Really creative design!

Some fuel for the blade design: Whenever Skeleton King does a critical hit (which happens quite alot) his animations have him do a severe strike with the opposite end of his sword, so maybe some small asymmetry on the blade piece could work well.
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone.

Working on the helm concept . I plan to go with some sort of crown due to the low poly limit for his head but I thought I'd throw a helm and hood in for the hell of it. I have to say, I don't like the shape of the skeleton kings head....it's to bad I can't change that.

skelekingarmorconcepthe.png

• 8-Bit
    Offline / Send Message
    8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
    Awww I really liked your forth sword design.

The redesign is great though! I'm enjoying what you've done with the crowns as well. This is looking excellent!
  • DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    If only there was some way to get horns with the hood...
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    8-Bit: Thanks, I preferred the fourth as well but most people seemed to like how 2 was.

DashXero: I could probably get horns to work with the hood. But I think I would have to do away with any crown and it may not fit in the poly count. I might try it out though.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Awesome concepts, it's almost putting my skeleton king to shame :(
    Really love to see the modeling of these concept, and offcourse the low poly version :)

For the helmet I would go with 5, and if that's not working I would go for 3!
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright so would I be able to use the cloak as a hood/cloak combination? It will reduce the amount of cloak I will have but allow me to have the crown and horns along with it. If so this is what I am thinking...

• Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright so would I be able to use the cloak as a hood/cloak combination? It will reduce the amount of cloak I will have but allow me to have the crown and horns along with it. If so this is what I am thinking...

I love it, I would go for Nr. 2 :)

Altough I'm a bit afraid about the polycount, especially for the ingame one. That's just 300 tri's at max, but your concepts are defenitly looking great!
  • DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm partial to 4. It was EXACTLY what I had in mind when I said "If only there was some way to get horns with the hood..."
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the sword sculpt, I think I am happy with it. Dropped the pommel for a bone one in order to help stay within the poly count.
    After some more thought, I doubt I will be able to do a hood with him. Hopefully the crown will hold up strong enough on its own.

bprrendersword.png

• DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks great! A bit sad to hear about the hood, but it happens. Can't wait to see this set!
  • ra_hammerhead
    Nice idea and details. Sword is awesome! I especially like the upper part of the hilt.

As for feedback, I'm only curious about chips on the sword, hope they won't come into noise. Since this is going to be viewed from a distance, and/or you plan to develop this sword more I would only suggest adding one or two medium sized chips/dent, getting rid of smaller ones.

I would go for no.2 crown like Andyk125. Its silhouette is looking more appealing to me. Not sure, if it will work, but I believe its worth checking, if the middle spike of the crown can be lowered a bit to cover SK face slightly.
  • LuCh!
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    liking design 2 the most,
    I'm just thinking maybe the spikes of the horns after the curve should be higher,

and awesome sword!
    although, the blade part maybe a bit longer? in comparison with the handle
    great sculpt btw!
  • Graham
    I'm glad you went with 2nd weapon concept, it really has the most presence!

As for the helm, I don't think no.1 is a good choice, I wouldn't cover his face. I am leaning towards 3 or 8, I like the curved horns. I find them more menacing. 3 looks the most king-like in my eyes.
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback.

ra_hammerhead: I was worried about the same thing with the blade coming out as noise. But I also didn't want it to come out to clean looking. I will give just a few medium size chips a shot to see how it looks. Thanks

LuCh!: I'll have to check on the spikes, that could look better. As far as the blade length, I made it with similar proportions to his current sword but seeing as this one is thicker, I may need to extend the blade.

Graham: Thanks for your input, was still a bit unsure about that.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the sword :) One of the best and most orginal models I've seen so far!
    Only the small scratches are a bit useless, the rest won't really be a problem from the normal ingame disctance, I think it will look great.

Looking forward to see some low poly work!
  • Okoo
    hum for the sword, your blade is pretty big compared to the guard... your concept #2 was better in proportion.
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, so I made the blade a bit skinnier and taller and decided to redo the design on the blade. I was kinda going for souls trapped in the blade or just carvings.
    This is what I have so far for the diffuse texture on the low poly 350 tri weapon. I have not done a lot of texturing so I am not to sure about the way it is looking so far. I kinda feel the blade is a little off color in relation hilt, which is annoying because I like the blade texture the most.

lowpolyswordcomp.png

• DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    I love it! It kinda reminds me of War's Chaos Eater from Darksiders - but Chaoseater didn't have a glow to it.
  • Kraken
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraken interpolator
    Yeah it's easy to see where inspiration came from:)
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    To be honost I liked the other version more, this looks to much like a darksiders sword!
    I think the other one was a lot more original..
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, ya I may come back an work on the design more but for now I need to move onto other things. Also, are we required to make 2 LOD models, or can we make just the in game model? I know it says something about it in the rules, but at submission it says it's optional.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    You can make 1 Lod version and just adjust it slightly so you have 2 lod versions. You can start with the lod_0 and just remove detail so you have the lod_1 version. Or do it the other way around. This will only take you an extra few minutes, and will definetly be worth it.
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a small update before I model the rest. Crown has been modeled, still working on its textures. The concept isn't final but a rough idea of what I will be making. Need to get into 3D to flesh things like the shoulder out better.

Edit: Incorporating the gold is really killing my design creativity >.<

armorconcept.png

• ACap
    Offline / Send Message
    ACap polycounter lvl 9
    Man, it really looks awesome. Fantastic Job.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure about the horns from the shoulder piece, they look like arms this way..
    For the rest can't wait to see it in 3d :)
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

Small update, just finished the high poly shoulder. I plan to have the head look like the ones on the sword and the trim look like the trim of the cape in order to tie the design together. I'll try get an update with all low polly pieces soon, most of them are made.

Andyk125- Haha, ya i didn't spend time refining that concept since I already had an idea of what i wanted.

Edit: I'm not sure if I will have two full horns or not. I lopped one off cause I kinda like the asymmetry and in case I have any issues with the poly count.

bprrendersword.png

• sadies
    Sweet work on that sculpt, looking forward to more !
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow looking great that sculp, looking a lot better then the concept :)
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, here is the current wip from the maya view port. Textures are just a first pass diffuse and the cloak has a transparency that will go around the edges of it. I may redesign the crown after I do the glove. I really hate the Skele Kings face and would like it to coincide more with the weapon and shoulder.

wip1jw.png

• Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to go back and remake the crown now, textures need some work but I'm much happier with it.

wip2kn.png

• Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed up the helm a bit, time to work on the glove.

wip3s.png
  • lolobananica
    Thanks guys.

Small update, just finished the high poly shoulder. I plan to have the head look like the ones on the sword and the trim look like the trim of the cape in order to tie the design together. I'll try get an update with all low polly pieces soon, most of them are made.

Andyk125- Haha, ya i didn't spend time refining that concept since I already had an idea of what i wanted.

Edit: I'm not sure if I will have two full horns or not. I lopped one off cause I kinda like the asymmetry and in case I have any issues with the poly count.

bprrendersword.png

Great sculpt! By the way how many polys you got there?
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, these are the LoD1 models. The sword is 350, helm 296, shoulder 296, and cloak 249 tris.
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    I have not done a lot of texturing, is there anything obvious I should change; Style, color, amount of detail, ect?

capturewcg.png
  • jett12
    To be honest your textures on the sword and shoulder are falling a little flat, they are very detail oriented which can be lost in a lower res game like dota2; skeleton kings base texture has gold used to accent which works nicely, try incorporating some larger areas of gold to make the shapes on this guy really pop, I would also suggest fattening up your horns, they feel a little thin and "weak" at the moment.

Good luck, cheers!
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow...thanks a lot for your input. I hadn't actually thought about the horn size being to small, but after sizing them up to be bigger/chunkier it looks way better. Hopefully I'll be able to nicely incorporate some more gold in as well. Thanks mate :)
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the helmet design, looks way better then the one before.
    I'm having the same problems as you, to much detail which will come out to noisy :p allready thought it was finished, but with the comments on steam I realized I should change a few things.

I also think the details on the cloak should be larger and maybe delete a few then.
    At your concept the details sticked out from the cape, I think that looked better. you can use alpha maps with skeleton king, so it's possible ;)

Great job so far!