Home General Discussion

What degree do you think is better!

YellowYeti
vertex
Offline / Send Message
YellowYeti vertex
So i know i've said a lot on here that i'm trying to learn 3D on my own and everything that goes along with it because i couldn't get loans however recently i might have been able to get loans to go to a college , so i was looking into different colleges and came across Ringling and it seems like a very good (and expensive) school, but 2 degrees peaked my interest, one was a game art degree and another was computer animation. I want to go for 3d modeling in games and what not that goes with it so game art would seem like a decent choice but computer animation seems like they are well known for that and like it could really help, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Obviously, the best degree you can get is in Gender Studies....

Ok I'm just pulling your leg. Honestly its usually good to be very skeptical of these kind of programs and schools, more often than not a handful of tutorials, a mentorship and a lot of practice & networking can get you by just fine. School is a big risk because loans are brutal... if you cant turn it into revenue thats a big kick in the nether region. Sometimes its better to play it safe.

But lets just say you did have to go to that school... looking at the curriculum for both degrees, you will get far more out of the game art one than the computer animation. For example, the programming for artist course, something you cant find in the CA degree. The game art degree looks a lot more well rounded... that said I would seriously consider just getting a good part time job and work on perfecting your skills, network and get the relevant online training to avoid the loan situation. Thats just me. (If you do go with loans, stay away from SallyMae)

2cents
  • YellowYeti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YellowYeti vertex
    Dataday wrote: »

Ok I'm just pulling your leg. Honestly its usually good to be very skeptical of these kind of programs and schools, more often than not a handful of tutorials, a mentorship and a lot of practice & networking can get you by just fine. School is a big risk because loans are brutal... if you cant turn it into revenue thats a big kick in the nether region. Sometimes its better to play it safe.

But lets just say you did have to go to that school... looking at the curriculum for both degrees, you will get far more out of the game art one than the computer animation. For example, the programming for artist course, something you cant find in the CA degree. The game art degree looks a lot more well rounded... that said I would seriously consider just getting a good part time job and work on perfecting your skills, network and get the relevant online training to avoid the loan situation. Thats just me. (If you do go with loans, stay away from SallyMae)

2cents

Oh well of course i was going into Gender Studies! But yea that's what i was planning on doing but i just figured to get the ol "college experience" while also moving away to get on my own, and what not and having my family constantly trying to tell me how i need a degree can get annoying. I actually might look for a mentorship soon (any suggestions on some?). And may i ask since i was also thinking about it, why sallymae is a bad idea? Thanks for the feedback!
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Dataday wrote: »

If I were to go for a degree now I'd seriously get a degree in becoming a Brew Master.

And just build, during my non study hours, my sakimichan $300K-annually-patreon-mass-followers by combining cutesy Frozen fan art with my own custom brews.
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    YellowYeti wrote: »
    one was a game art degree and another was computer animation. I want to go for 3d modeling in games and what not that goes with it so game art would seem like a decent choice but computer animation seems like they are well known for that and like it could really help, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

It's difficult to compare these degrees, as they aren't the same degree.

I attend a University which offers, essentially, both of these courses, and here's how I'd say the two compare...

Game Art:
    Lots of 3D Modelling
    Lots of texturing
    A small amount of animation
    A small amount of visual scripting
    Lots of game engines like Unreal 4

Computer Animation:
    Lots of animation in both 2D and 3D
    Some modelling/texturing
    Small amount of visual scripting
    Small amount of game engine use

Obviously, check out the two prospectuses of the courses being offered - go with the one that interests you more. :)
  • YellowYeti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YellowYeti vertex
    Dan Powell wrote: »
    It's difficult to compare these degrees, as they aren't the same degree.

I attend a University which offers, essentially, both of these courses, and here's how I'd say the two compare...

Game Art:
    Lots of 3D Modelling
    Lots of texturing
    A small amount of animation
    A small amount of visual scripting
    Lots of game engines like Unreal 4

Computer Animation:
    Lots of animation in both 2D and 3D
    Some modelling/texturing
    Small amount of visual scripting
    Small amount of game engine use

Obviously, check out the two prospectuses of the courses being offered - go with the one that interests you more. :)

That's true, i was looking more towards the game art anyhow, but as dataday said, i feel like i'd be paying too much and would be scared that i'd just be left with this huge loan and no job, but don't know how to get my foot in the industry myself which is another thing.Thanks for the feedback as well!:)
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    See if you can go to college in Europe. This program looks particularly interesting. I don't know what their 4 year degrees cost, but their masters were like 9,000 Euro.
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i feel like i'd be paying too much and would be scared that i'd just be left with this huge loan and no job, but don't know how to get my foot in the industry myself which is another thing.Thanks for the feedback as well!:)

A good way to judge the course is to look at the student work displayed on their website.

I.E. - On the Universities website, under the course information there'll usually be a section for "student work" where they post their bests student's work to show it off.

If the student work there is good, then typically, the course must have something to offer.

If the student work is bad, then that sets off alarm bells to me!

I'm a Student at Sheffield Hallam, and over the past four years our course has improved a lot - with the best students getting snapped up into the industry. However, these students are all those who put the work in themselves.

The way I like to look at it is that the University's Academics will help nurture your core skills, and offer you a "design" course, as opposed to a "training" course. Combine this with good work ethics of your own, and you'll get a great learning experience.

Something Sheffield Hallam does which I like, in particular, is give every student access to DigitalTutor's training website, and they encourage us to use that alongside class time. Remember that there's only so much you can learn in class because there's only so many hours in a University day; and no one wants to be in class 24/7!

I've heard many people say that 10,000 hours is a good benchmark amount of time before you're becoming a pro!
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Computer Science. Learn how to program, teach yourself how to animate and model in your spare time and with electives while in your Comp Sci program. Get a 3D motive monthly subscription + making goals + Polycount = profit.

Honestly, you do not need school to learn how to be a game artist. Most people that need hand holding, and go to a school that will do just that, will struggle to survive in the rapidly changing game industry. My short stint in art school was very very quickly all thrown out the window, could have achieved everything I did in school through local art mixers, mingling on Polycount, and just being very active with my personal studies. A Computer Science degree will not only make you a double edged sword, but also give you the resources of making contacts in your chosen school's game or animation clubs. If you hate it, as some people do infact struggle with the pretty intense logic side of programming (nothing wrong with that, as does sometimes take a specific personality to really get into it), you can transfer departments. Get ready for some times you think you will not be able to make it, many nights of self doubt in your abilities, wanting to give up, etc. To survive in just the entertainment industry general is knowing the only way to break in is by believing in yourself. Going to be tough, but IMO its worth every ounce of sweat and tear.

Just some things to think about, based upon what I would have done looking back.
  • YellowYeti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YellowYeti vertex
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO FUCK NO. PLEASE DEAR FUCKING FUCK NO.

Doing some quick Googling:
    https://collegescorecard.ed.gov/school/?136774-Ringling-College-of-Art-and-Design

http://www.ringling.edu/fileadmin/content/admissions/pdf/FirstYear_Student_Tuition-Fees.pdf

http://www.collegecalc.org/colleges/florida/ringling-college-of-art-and-design/

Listen, I'm sure there are plenty of success stories coming from Ringling College. I'm sure it's a great school.

But if you are a US resident there is no possible reason for attending an art college school other than wanting to live in financial slavery for the rest of your life (regardless of if you can actually land an industry gig when you graduate or not), of which, chances are extremely low.

Every bit of information they could possibly teach you can be found online for free or damn near free. Polycount, Gnomon, 3D Motive, Eat3D, etc, etc.

If you want to get a job in the game industry, start making game art right now, today, for free. Don't pay HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS YOU DON'T HAVE in hopes of motivating yourself to make game art.

Yea i was kind of thinking the same thing, i was just checking options with that school and figured as much that it was a waste of money and time, also for Gnomon i believe you can't use that unless you are a california resident last i checked. And this might be a topic that's good enough for a thread in itself, but what path would you consider to get into the field? I was thinking of doing as many online programs as i can and then eventually trying to land an internship somewhere and work up from there. Any suggestions?
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    This -
    Don't pay HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS YOU DON'T HAVE in hopes of motivating yourself to make game art.

There is no reason at all to plunge yourself into a crazy amount of debt you'll die trying to pay off; and having collectors hound you like blood thirsty werewolves every month, week, day, until the end.

I didn't go to school for any of this stuff. I went to AASU in Savannah, (the school next to SCAD) came a way with an art degree and debt free. All this stuff is online these days. Its free and easy; folks just walk you through it. I learned a ton from tutorials and polycount, (polycount is awesome love it) and continue to do so. I would suggest going to a school that you can afford, get some fundamental art skills down, painting, drawing, etc. and work on your 3D stuff in the mean time. Super special secret... you get hired based off your portfolio, not where you went to school.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Go to a state school.
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    Yea i was kind of thinking the same thing, i was just checking options with that school and figured as much that it was a waste of money and time, also for Gnomon i believe you can't use that unless you are a california resident last i checked. And this might be a topic that's good enough for a thread in itself, but what path would you consider to get into the field? I was thinking of doing as many online programs as i can and then eventually trying to land an internship somewhere and work up from there. Any suggestions?

You could look at the below.

https://www.uartsy.com/
    http://3d.cgmasteracademy.com/
    http://2d.cgmasteracademy.com/
    http://www.scott-eaton.com/courses
    http://www.futurepoly.com
    http://www.animschool.com/Default.aspx
  • YellowYeti
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Sites like 3D motive and the like that I mentioned above are great as well, loads of tutorials and news one popping up each week. $24 a month, and honestly its all you need to really get started. Eat 3D, Gumroad, the new Cubebrush, and Gnomon have select courses that are awesome as well. Teaching yourself art, is very feasible.

I, too, agree that massive amounts of debt should be avoided if possible. No reason to take on a 200-500$ payment a month for the next 30+ years lol
  • YellowYeti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YellowYeti vertex
    Add3r wrote: »
    Sites like 3D motive and the like that I mentioned above are great as well, loads of tutorials and news one popping up each week. $24 a month, and honestly its all you need to really get started. Eat 3D, Gumroad, the new Cubebrush, and Gnomon have select courses that are awesome as well. Teaching yourself art, is very feasible.

I, too, agree that massive amounts of debt should be avoided if possible. No reason to take on a 200-500$ payment a month for the next 30+ years lol

Oh sorry i forgot to mention your links too, thanks for those! I actually just subscribed to 3dmotive because of you haha, And i was also going to say that Gnomon, even their online courses, is for California residents only which i found very odd.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    http://www.digitaltutors.com if you're a complete noob to 3D and enjoy hours of videos; at least that's what got me started!
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick wrote: »
    http://www.digitaltutors.com if you're a complete noob to 3D and enjoy hours of videos; at least that's what got me started!

I'll vouch this; most of DigitalTutors is great. :) Ocasionally I've found myself watching tutorials and thinking "this is a bit naff", but it is one of my favourite online tutorial websites. Definitely worth the subscription imo.

Eat 3D is also great! The phr33 stoof they have on the website has some amazing tips for modelling.
  • YellowYeti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YellowYeti vertex
    Dan Powell wrote: »
    I'll vouch this; most of DigitalTutors is great. :) Ocasionally I've found myself watching tutorials and thinking "this is a bit naff", but it is one of my favourite online tutorial websites. Definitely worth the subscription imo.

Eat 3D is also great! The phr33 stoof they have on the website has some amazing tips for modelling.

I also have a subscription to digitaltutors,which i've had for a bit now! And i will definitely check out eat3d, thanks!
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Digital Tutors is like Valium to me. Really scratches that high school calculus class itch.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Frankly, I'd say 20-25 degrees max is a good summer day.:D
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Before you take a 100k loan or such nonsense, go to europe for 2-3 years and live like a king with that money and get a better education for around 20-30k, still never forget, all education is only like 40%, the rest has to come from your free time.

Personally I took 2 years or so for around 25k and I think that was pretty much exactly worth the price at a good school in germany but not more. I would not pay more, especially not for an american school
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Get a apprenticeship. UK here, got a 1st class in B.sc. Computer science and it's not been worth it. If you want to learn go get a traineeship or apprenticeship. Get paid learning instead of paying for a (more often than not) piss poor education.

Shelling out for a degree instead of going straight into work is a regret of mine since i'm going down the apprentice route now anyway.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    If you're going to study for a qualification then go with an accredited course that has been vetted by industry. In the UK we have Skillset, they also do lots of cool stuff like showcase graduates on a recruitment drive and get the government to pay 50% of the graduates salary for a year to a company that takes on a graduate from a Skillset course so that is a bonus.

Also ask to see examples of student work from that Uni and compare and contrast and ask what the Alumni are doing, might help but not if its a new course so factor that in.

If you're going down the home study route then some of the above looked good to me, I know people that got loads out of the Scott Eaton anatomy lessons.

best of luck!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    This sounds like such common sense to me, and I'm surprised Not EVERY american does this:

GO TO A CANADIAN SCHOOL for a fraction of the cost (Even with International Rates).

There's quite a few Canadian colleges that are highly reputable, and many of the teachers are working professionals in the field, and are working in games right now, and teaching as Adjuncts.

IF you're going to go to school in the US; I currently work for the Montreal Campus of the Champlain College of Vermont.

The Environment ARt Teacher here in Montreal is also the Lead Environment Artist here at Eidos; Vince Joyal (3rd and 7th place in Unearthly Challenge). Concept Art Teacher is Nick Oroc (Assassins Creed/RAinbow 6 Child of Light).

The Animation Teacher at the Vermont campus is Nate Warpol (Halo 1-4).
  • YellowYeti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YellowYeti vertex
    With all these replies i don't know where to start, but thanks for the feedback first thing. Now after reading all the replies i'm now thinking about a school abroad, or teaching myself and then trying for an apprenticeship or can i just go straight to the apprenticeship? And for the going to school abroad i want to ask, do i need anything special to go abroad like a visa or something or can i just find a school and go? And i know i could find this by googling some, but are there any preferences on colleges abroad that would be a good place to look at? Thanks for all the replies, and helping me out a lot!
    Edit: For myself to google it for the schools abroad, what would the program be called? Just game art, or game design or something else? Thanks!