Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

udk wip - CnC

yodude87
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
hello you guys

this is my first time posting here on polycount. ive been following it for a while, but only now i decided to go for it and post something, and try to get some help from you all.

the scene im working on its a pretty small one, inspired on a screenshot of silent hill downpour recently shown; im posting 2 images, one is an SS of a viewport, and the other one is a render on medium lightmass setup.

tell me what you guys think of it. i think theres still much to be done about it, so any help is appreciated :D

317dtnl.jpg

2rw88jt.jpg

Replies

• cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    These images aren't showing up
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    :S

sorry... my bad. still have to find a good way to post them images. lets see if this will work

?action=view&current=rendersh.jpg

http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/i331/rodrigomaldonado/?action=view&current=rendersh2.jpg
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    updating... removed the height fog as of now, it doesnt fdo me any good;

added a hallway (gate yet to be modelled) with some steps in the end;

modified lighting;

added some extra props, decals and mats;

resized texs and models.

110zmvb.jpg
  • Piesandbombs
    The blood decals on the floor and wooden plank are much too... red. They really stick out. Maybe lower the contrast a bit on them.
  • blackwaffle
    Where's the screenshot you're working off of? I'm curious.
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Piesandbombs: thanks, working on them as of now

@ Black waffle: this is the screen grab im basing it on:

xo2r95.jpg

will be posting soon some updates, and the scene props i modelled. :)
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    2816ce0.jpg

fog test

29bc86s.jpg

CnC's are welcome as always. feel free to say whatever you want :D
  • bunda4th
    Offline / Send Message
    bunda4th polycounter lvl 6
    Looking at the screen shot you are basing this off of. I think you need to tone down the red more and the fog is really covering everything so lower it and tone it down as well.

Maybe you can do something like this with the fog
    http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UDK_Mist_Fog_Tutorial.html

Overall I would say work on the blood/texture and lighting first before playing around with fog. You want the scene to look good without the fog first and have the fog as an added touch to give it that horror feel
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks bunda4th, working on your tips. and the tut is just perfect, as soon as i get to work on the fog will follow it.

As of now, im gonna be putting some more assets here and there, to fill the scene. the color palette ill change it with some PP effects. Will update soon :)
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    played a bit with the lights, desaturated the floor tiles and added some assets.

10el9o9.jpg

cant seem to get rid of the estra high specularity of the blood decal... think ill have to create another one. :poly127:
  • VictorSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    VictorSantos polycounter lvl 12
    Hi Yodude! You're making a great job here buddy! Listen to Bunda4th and check chris albeluhn website, it's amazing.

I like the progress, perhaps you can play with the perspective of the camera making the room a little bit longer and play with the lights of the wall just like in the reference, also as bunda4th said you can put some decals of blood, dirt,... And play with the fog color and height to make the "horror feel" but anyway you're in the right way.

Keep it up! I'll put an eye on this post heheh

Cheers! :)
  • bunda4th
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking better but its really dark. Add another light that is not in view of the camera. You only have that one light and its not really helping. Scale that light also since if you look at the hot spot/beam of the photo it is spreading out much wider.

- Have two spotlight and scale it so it shine wider and play around with the setting to get a nice fall off from it, but make sure there is a slight gap between the lights just like the reference you have.

- Just to give it a nice effect maybe add a light shining through that door in the back giving a hint of something weird is going on there.

- for the tiled wall, not sure if those are black tiles or a dark color maybe change that to a different color that is lighter similar to that of the reference. Black/white is a very high contrast.

Hope this help.
  • Serp
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    Try making more of the tiles chipped, about halfway up like in the concept. Because right now it's not very noticeable. I didn't notice at first.

I would try desaturating the reds even more.

You chose an awesome screenshot to try to replicate. Good choice buddy.
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    hey there polycounters

another update. added mist, chipped some more the tiles, added some grunge to it (in the seam between wall and ceiling, and in the connection between tiles and row of bricks).

brightened the color of the brick row, that was very dark giving the impression it was a row of black tiles (indeed when i looked at it even i couldnt figure what it was haha),

desaturated the ground tiles,

delocated the blood decals from the floor t the wall, i think it got much better like that,

added the second bigger gate,

enhanced the lighting, enlarging the lightbeams and adding a second lightbeam off-cam,

augmented the overall birghtness of the scene just a tad bit,

added some extra details, like some construction props (bricks and concrete tiles) behind the smaller gate. not so visible, but they're there; boxes; retextured the soda machine, even if im not satisfied with the result yet.

still have to add some scattered papers decal, warning signs (visible in the farther wall on the original concept), and some more details.

enough babbling. pic:

102jyc2.jpg

CnC's at will :)
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    oh, one question:

what do you guys think? i just noticed while looking at the concept that on the right side (where you have a second soda machine(, the wall is not straight, it has a corner, and when it turns it has a huge hole that gives sight to another area.

ahould i remodel that wall (as ive done it straight with no hole), or should i just leave it like that?

just wondering... *shrug*
  • bunda4th
    Offline / Send Message
    The scene is looking much better and I think you can leave it as is since it feel more of a small room.

The fog/mist need a lot more tweaking to it since it is very thick, you want it to be more transparent and maybe add a bit of color to it if you want.

Raise your light up a bit because you can see a gap between the light bulb to where the light is actually shining from. I would also add some point light (cast no shadow) to simulate bounce lighting in this room because the upper left corner is very dark.

Also if you do not want to model what is to the right (another door etc) you can keep it at the angle for your final shot and add another light to the right shining into the scene as if there is another room or window.
  • letronrael
    no fog ...it looks really bad
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    remember the fog is dynamic... in pic it looks kind of weird, but real time it lookns nicer.

check chris albeluhn's site, theres a video there showing how it behaves.

anyway, trying to tweak it... will keep you guys posted :D
  • jimmypopali
    I would tone down the opacity of the fog, in the ref, it's barely noticeable - and any chance of some ambient light, there is a lot of black in the picture.
  • North
    Offline / Send Message
    North polycounter lvl 7
    Youre going to want to take out that Epic prop. Considering its the focus of the scene and its not yours, you should probably just model and texture a better one.
  • snow
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    I think you should change the tile colour, or tone down the saturation of it, i've never seen tiles that colour, it's too similar to blood, unless that's the look you're going for.

I would also up the brightness a bit in lit areas, maybe throw a low intensity ambient light in there.

keep at it you're doing well. :)
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    good point you guys.

as regards the fog, i discovered why it was looking bad, and the reason is actually quite lame... i hadnt scaled it properly, so the black/white transitions were quite tiled hehe

added some ambient lights as said, and will be taking out the Epic barrel. will be doing it and tomorrow will update you guys :D
  • VictorSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    VictorSantos polycounter lvl 12
    yodude87 wrote: »
    good point you guys.

as regards the fog, i discovered why it was looking bad, and the reason is actually quite lame... i hadnt scaled it properly, so the black/white transitions were quite tiled hehe

added some ambient lights as said, and will be taking out the Epic barrel. will be doing it and tomorrow will update you guys :D

Yeah, it seems to be because of the scale (notice the noisy texture) maybe you can play with the emmisive for the light bulb and make a nice reflection with a cubemap for the tiles and the metals.

Maybe I did't read it but what's the scale of the texture map?

Cheers buddy! :)

EDIT: I'd love to see another version with the tiles lil' bit smaller too (I think it will be better for the sense of scale of the room).
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    with texture map scale, you mean how i scaled the material in the surface properties, or the resolution of the texs?

if its the resolution, most of them are 1024x1024 (though i overexagerated on the wall tiles, making them 4096x4096 - unfeesable for a game i guess, and a real waste of power). decals usually are 512x512, and prop textures vary between 512x512 and 1024x1024.

as regards the scaling in the surface properties dialog, the floor tiles are scaled to 2, and the wall tiles are scaled to 3.

whoa you got it right, i hadnt noticed how the tiles size didnt match between wall and floor! i will fix it, and post a pic to let you see :)
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    hello there people :)

updating.

tweaked lighting and fog, added some details (cups inside soda machine, extra blood decals, etc), desaturated even more the floor tiles, matched the sizes between wall and floor tiles, added the warning sign on the left (still have to add the outermost right one, appended to a cord - check concept), and improved the texture on the soda machine - even if it doesnt make me feel good about it yet. theres something wrong about it yet which i dont know. might be just me :P

still trying to get the scene with the right illumination, dunno if it feels way too dark yet. comments are welcome as always :D

2v3liti.jpg

edit: changed the texture on the ceiling too. the older one felt way too much out of it. and there's a small bug with the decal in the wall junction near the bigger gate, dont mind that, i still have to fix it. matter of 2 mins :)

edit 2: the epic prop is being kept as a placeholder. modelling a proper barrel to replace it.
  • bunda4th
    Offline / Send Message
    its looking better but the fog just dont feel/look right in the scene. There is like this thick brown cloud to the lower right which is making it look bad.

The soda machine seem a much on the texture side compare to the other props, Also the blackness running down on the left side is bad. Maybe make the machine functional still by having the buttons light up still and a small light where you pick up your drink.
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    update.

will try to make a video of the scene , so you guys can get a feeling of it. the buttons on the soda machine flicker, as well as the light beam coming out from the bulb. the fog is dynamic, im stilll trying to tweak it even more, so if you guys find it bad just say :)

changed the epic prop for a new one, modelled and texture baked. played a bit more with the lights, and still trying to get a god mood that stands according to the concept (quite hard to do, i would add :P)

well, here it is. open to crits as always
    2w7367c.jpg

edit: tweaked the texture on the soda machine too. got rid of the dark stripe on the left side.