Home Unreal Engine

Acid Pool Material Animation Question

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
acealmighty13 polycounter lvl 10
I've improved quite a bit with UDK Materials over the past year and the one thing I can't seem to figure out and may be a simple answer is the fading of one texture into another. For example, using normal maps for waves in a water texture to give the impression the rise and fall of water in a pool. I've used Hourence's tutorial on indoor water to show me how to get the animation going for my acid pool material. I've avoided doing this material until now because I've never liked how it turned out. I'd like to say Fresnel would be involved but I'm not sure on how go about doing so. I have two normal maps, the second map is the inverted version of the first one. If there's another way to go about this, I'd love to hear it as well.

AcidPoolMaterial.jpg

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Maybe start by showing a sample of what you want to achieve?
  • acealmighty13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The look may change but here's what I have so far....
    AcidPool.png
  • The_Korrupt_One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The_Korrupt_One polycounter lvl 6
    Have you looked at the Bio Rifle material in the UDK? Might be good as a reference for what you want. 'WP_BioRifle.Materials.M_Bio_Blob_02'
    As for getting the material animated you could use the WorlPositionOffset in the material editor. Again the UDK comes with a good example of this here's the instance for it 'GDC_Materials.Materials.RipplingWater_INST' try having a look at that and the parent material. Hope this helps you.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    also look at the goo material in dm_deck, it is too parts there is the surface shader, and a effect ot apply to stuff under the surface.
  • acealmighty13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Biorifle material has given me an idea to go off of. Six months ago I would have looked at that material and been overwhelmed by it. Now, it's just another puzzle for me to figure out and solve. I Just now looked at the rippling water material nodes, holy crap. Some of the nodes I have never thought existed. ha ha!
  • Shift`
  • acealmighty13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's what I came up with. Thanks for the help. Took me awhile to figure out what was going on with the material but I got it figured out.

acidpool-1.png

To add to it, I plan on creating a popping bubble animation effect. Would it be easier to create the meshes in 3ds Max and then use Matinee for the animation of the growing bubble and pop? Or do so in 3ds Max and import it?

It would consist of two meshes, the bubble and then the particles of that pop on a plane mesh falling into the pool. I've never messed with Matinee and if so, I am going to Hourences to do so. Thoughts?