Home Unreal Engine

Level Building Help

So I am making a large house and since UDK's build a brush is beyond painful (for me) to use I made the layout via maya.

4tx9br8.jpg
  • When I import meshes and create collisions I die when i step on the floor Plus i just get 1 large square for the walls
  • When I make my own collisions UDK splits my mesh into separate pieces (the floors have different meshes for each change in texture)
  • Do i have to only have 1 (uncombined) collision mesh for my walls?
  • What do i do about my static mesh stairs? how do i set the collision to allow you to walk up them?

I have my maya file right here
  • If someone could grab this and tell me the best way to have this setup as my level that would be AMAZING
.... I really have no desire to make the entire level via udk tools

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    "When I import meshes and create collisions I die when i step on the floor Plus i just get 1 large square for the walls"

world settings-> zone info-> and set the killing height to lower, or place your house to a higher place.

"When I make my own collisions UDK splits my mesh into separate pieces (the floors have different meshes for each change in texture)"

You can use material IDs (that you can assign to polygons) for the texture changes, so you dont need them separately.

"Do i have to only have 1 (uncombined) collision mesh for my walls"

I would import the walls separately, and I would use the builder brush to make collisions. Its easy to use. You simply move the builder brush to the place you want, and you set the dimensions, and then if you right click to your model, and click to set collision from builder brush, then it will use this as collision. Probably there is a better way, but this works.

Here is a UDN page about custom collisions:
    https://udn.epicgames.com/Three/FBXStaticMeshPipeline.html#Collision

"What do i do about my static mesh stairs? how do i set the collision to allow you to walk up them?"

Slant (/) box collision still works. The stairway shaped could work too, but then you need to set slope, and I don't know where to set this. I would go with the box collision, because Its not a multiplayer game, so nobody will see your character from outside, how its going up straight on the stairs. If it would be for a real game, I would ask the technical guy or the programmer to set slope, and then I would use the stairway shaped collision
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    Just set it to per poly if you are not going to use this a very physics heavy/huge number of enemies type of game.

Untick the three ticked boxes in the bottom right of the mesh window (double click mesh in content browser - Use Simple Line Collision and the other ticked ones). Untick all three. Done.
  • iZac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura wrote: »
    "When I import meshes and create collisions I die when i step on the floor Plus i just get 1 large square for the walls"

world settings-> zone info-> and set the killing height to lower, or place your house to a higher place.

"When I make my own collisions UDK splits my mesh into separate pieces (the floors have different meshes for each change in texture)"

You can use material IDs (that you can assign to polygons) for the texture changes, so you dont need them separately.

"Do i have to only have 1 (uncombined) collision mesh for my walls"

I would import the walls separately, and I would use the builder brush to make collisions. Its easy to use. You simply move the builder brush to the place you want, and you set the dimensions, and then if you right click to your model, and click to set collision from builder brush, then it will use this as collision. Probably there is a better way, but this works.

Here is a UDN page about custom collisions:
    https://udn.epicgames.com/Three/FBXStaticMeshPipeline.html#Collision

"What do i do about my static mesh stairs? how do i set the collision to allow you to walk up them?"

Slant (/) box collision still works. The stairway shaped could work too, but then you need to set slope, and I don't know where to set this. I would go with the box collision, because Its not a multiplayer game, so nobody will see your character from outside, how its going up straight on the stairs. If it would be for a real game, I would ask the technical guy or the programmer to set slope, and then I would use the stairway shaped collision

Cool thanks ill try it out and let ya know how it goes . (obviously a udk noob here)