Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Viktor's character scribbles

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
Hi guys,

I decided to make a progress thread for my character work since I haven't had one for quite a while and nothing beats having other artists look at my stuff and possibly point out the things I don't see anymore (I'm kind of immune to my own mistakes/screw ups + being a simple shadow on Polycount and just lurking 95% of the time isn't helping me either).

For the time being, I'm making some heads. Here are the recent ones:

5754402_orig.jpg

4579353_orig.jpg

4654564_orig.jpg

2440908_orig.jpg

7358542_orig.jpg

And this is something I started this weekend. Mainly to practice texturing skin:

9275121_orig.jpg

Any and all constructive criticism/feedback (or comments) are more than welcome!

Replies

• Graze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Graze polycounter lvl 6
    Hey, these are looking pretty cool, very natural and full of life. i think for me what is throwing them off is the fact I can see your base head model in them all. The filtrums, where the corner of the mouth peeks, the roundness of the eye lids, the nose, the chin and the ears have a similar feel. Also the hair is a bit weak compared to the face so maybe work on that too. But apart from that though, they are lovely sculpts and very interested to see what else you create.
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    I'm terrible with giving crits so I'll just say maybe the transition for the hair and the head could sue a bit of jigsawwing.

Looking really great, especially the fringe lady.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Graze, Hey, thanks for the feedback man. Indeed, I used the exact same basemesh on all of them, though it's extremely basic with no features defined so I think it all comes down to my sculpting habits making features look alike from one head to the next. I try to go for variety when it comes to reference but it seems like I've developed a certain style and it stuck with me. But this is definitely something I'll keep in mind the next time I sculpt a head. As for the hair, I certainly need to spend more time on them. Glad you like the sculpts!

@Mr Smo, Appreciate the comment man! And agreed about the hair to the head transition, it's too smooth since I just slap a sphere on top. I'm thinking to dynamesh these parts together at the end in the future so it looks like the hair is growing from the head and not a wig that was put on (kind of like what selwy does). None of these will end up being game-ready so the topology doesn't matter a bit.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Looking really good :) I would probably have a look at your temple/outer brow transitions aswell. They have a bit of a bulge and harsh transition at the moment. Should be a lot smoother and the bulge is very rare. The bridge of the noses could possibly be smoother too I think.

They are coming along really nicely though :) really like how natural they look
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Viktor these are really great. I agree that they all look similar, there is a shared structure to the nose, lips, and eyebrows that make them seem like siblings. But the quality of the sculpts and anatomy are fantastic.
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KristaW polycounter lvl 9
    Oh man, that first one. I almost recognize him he's so well done. I can see him with his pack of camels sitting on the lawn chair outside of his aunt's trailer.

Really cool stuff. I agree that the hair is distracting because it is unfinished looking compared to the rendering of the face. And they do look like they are related but I love your sculpting. I look forward to more.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @crazyfool, Thanks for the feedback Tom :) Completely agree on the fact that the outer temporal ridge is too prominent. I think that rarely will one see a person with a concavity on their temples since those areas on the side of the head are filled with temporalis muscles and where there are muscles there's fat. Also, that bone wouldn't grow that much so this is definitely something I should make much more subtle, especially on women. +1 on the bridge of the nose, it's a bit too planar which I will take into account as well.

@amile, Glad you like em, thank you! I wish I was a professional haha

@ysalex, thanks man. Agreed that they all look somewhat similar - will look out for differences in the future and make much bolder changes.

@KristaW, hey, thanks for the comment! Hair is definitely my weakest point at the moment. Since I usually work on them last, I guess I get a bit lazy. Patience is key, especially when it comes to hair as it can take a long time to get it right.

Here's a female torso study that I did today:

9210819_orig.jpg

My body anatomy is somewhat weak.. The nipples are too shallow, for example (noticed it just now). They should be the highest point from the side view like shown here (NSFW)
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another shot at female anatomy - this time with a bit of a pose and a head on so it isn't as generic as the one above (+ better nipples lol):

9239542_orig.jpg

2191364_orig.jpg

Any comments or crits are more than welcome :) Would love to hear what people think
  • j3st3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j3st3r polycounter lvl 9
    Hey

The heads are great. However the female body needs some attention, the abdomen is a bit off. The clavicle and the sternum intersection seems off too. It seems that the body parts are not on the same body. If a girl's ribcage is that visible, then the ribs from the sternum makes similar bumps (above the breasts).

I'd soften the rectus abdominalis, because it doesn't fit into the model. Soften also the clavicle, and check also the external oblique's shape. Anyway, it looks really good so far!
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks a lot for the feedback j3st3r! Your crits are spot on - I'll concentrate on those areas for the next body sculpt. And regarding the body parts, you are right, the head is separate from the body thus the sloppy clavicle/sternum connection. I made the body first and then added the head at the end but didn't pay as much attention to the pit of the neck as I should have. Again, I really appreciate your feedback!

Here's another head sketch:

4095922_orig.jpg

Paid special attention to proportions so hopefully she looks a little bit different from the other heads I've made. Will try to go for somebody with a short face next.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I still see quite a lot of similarity. I went though this as well, and still am going through this, the one thing that was suggested which has worked really well for me is to use references, and to do some likeness modeling. Try a reference face in the same age range as these girls, but with a totally different facial structure. Jennifer lawrence, or olivia munn, someone with fuller cheeks, shorter face, and ethnicity - exact opposites of these girls. It should help get you out of the habit of doing things one way.
  • Graze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Graze polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Kot, Again really nice head but this feels like a tweaked version of the others. I really think the base you are using is way too refined, i would suggest pull up a sphere and start sculpting. Also ysalex is right on using reference more and trying other ethnicity's. keep it up :)
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Graze, This is the basemesh that I use (it's really simple). But I agree on the fact that starting from a sphere could be a better option for me. It's definitely much harder! :)

@Yuri, Thanks for the suggestions man. I did just that - sculpted a head with a different facial structure from reference (not an actress though). Paid special attention to proportions of her skull so she shouldn't match any of my other heads:

7362139_orig.jpg

..and here are some torso studies:

7820798_orig.jpg
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey!

Your last face is really starting break away from familiarity :) I love the eyes. The top of the nasal bone wear it intersects the brow still seems to feel familiar through your pieces aside from the first one. Maybe choose a reference where that area is softer like this, in contrast to this. I know that the lighting and angle of the faces is part of what makes them look so different but Rihanna's definitely has a softer transition in that area.

The torso studies are looking great. The one thing that pops out to me it the woman's clavicle seems too sharp. I'm curious if it looks that sharp in your reference. And maybe a little high? It could just be the lighting and the angle but it seems to make a sharp corner at the bottom of the neck.

Cool stuff as usual Kot.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback Krista, you're spot on! :) I have a tendency to make that area between the nose bridge and the eye a bit too concave near the end. It'd definitely look better and more natural if it was smoother which is what I paid special attention to in my latest sculpt. +1 on the sharpness of the clavicles on the female torso, it has everything to do with me relying on my memory instead of observing life. Will have to gather references of female bodies since I don't have many and pay closer attention to those regions. Again, danke for the crit!

Here's the latest head:

9243951_orig.jpg

435050_orig.jpg

Want to take a shot at some celebrity to see if I can nail the likeness sometime in the next couple of weeks.
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The faces are definitely changing. That along with your clean sculpting is making for a pretty sweet thread.
  • X³²Lapis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X³²Lapis polycounter lvl 10
    Keep it up, they are looking awesome
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    last face: britney spears? :P
  • Abrvpt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Yes you're starting to make some cool variations on you faces. =) But if you just want to explore different morphologies, you can tweak an existing model with the move brush on a low subdivision level, it could help you to step out of the forms you're familiar with while sculpting. It works well for me on my day job.
    Keep up !
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @KristaW & X³²Lapis, thank you guys!

@Aga22, definitely not haha, but I can see some similarities ;)

@Abrvpt, Glad you like the variations! :) Since none of these are for production purposes, I prefer to start from scratch each time (good practice). But in production, I certainly see the benefits of tweaking an existing model to get a completely different character for time's sake. As the saying goes "Work smart, not hard".

Here's the latest doodle:

6608231_orig.jpg

The nose is similar in shape to the one above, but overall I wouldn't call this a throwaway sculpt.
  • Graze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Graze polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Kot, Im sorry to keep harping on about this but I still think your base head is way too refined. I made a few gifs of your heads to show the similarities. You are a great sculpture and I really feel like if you have less of a refined base you will get alot more variety in your heads, and become an even better character artist. Best of luck, I Hope this helps and keep sculpting :)

GIF_1 GIF_2 GIF_3 GIF_4
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
    Although people have stated that your female heads are quite similar, I like em. They all look like actual people, rather than super stylized females that I seem to see everywhere! Good stuff!
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Graze Thanks for taking the time to make them! After seeing those gifs, I guess I'm in kinda the same pit as these two fellas Eof and Brandao(as awesome as they are). Both have been told the same thing about not having too much of a variety in their work. For my next head, I'll start from a different basemesh but I don't think it will make much of a difference, we'll see! At least, the proportions aren't really the issue anymore, just the features themselves.

@Luke, Hey thanks for the compliment man, glad you like em! My goal is exactly that - realism, though with a tiny bit of stylization because I'm also going for appeal. I used to make realistic heads without concern for appeal not that long ago and I've been told that my female heads were "ugly". So now I'm trying to find balance, though I'm still leaning more towards realism than stylization for the very reason you mentioned. Again, it means a lot coming from you, I think your characters are really epic!

Here are some arm studies:

5553751_orig.jpg

Was thinking of shelling out for those 3d scans for closer study of anatomy but I missed their sale date so not sure if I'll get them anytime soon..
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been some time. Still trying to get away from similarities, think it's kind of getting there. Here is some recent stuff:

3156736_orig.jpg
    2697332_orig.jpg
    8878960_orig.jpg
    4576404_orig.jpg

And some leg anatomy:

1023195_orig.jpg
    4431654_orig.jpg

Got to try making some full bodies next. Would love to hear any feedback guys! :)
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
    Heads get better and better, love em. Where do'ya find the time to do all these? :)
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Luke! Glad you dig 'em. Actually I don't find time, I make time. :) A planner helps me stay organized too - I write down what needs to be done at a certain day on the list of things to do, and try to follow it as best as possible. At times, the hardest part is to start but from that point on, it's almost automatic! Just gotta let it flow. :)
  • Antone_m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Antone_m polycounter lvl 9
    Fantastic Work Viktor , keep up the Great Work ;)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I love the latest heads, really good detail Kot!
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work in here! Those latest heads are looking sweet. The only thing that I'm seeing is that all your noses seem to be a bit too pointy/long or square. I would consider softening them up a bit. Try and make them a bit more subtle.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Antone_m, thanks man ;)

@Torch, Glad you dig 'em, Phil!

@Fomori, That's how the noses were in the reference photographs that were used (except for the African dude where I obviously messed up the tip of his nose - sits a bit too low). Will play closer attention to them the next time. Cheers mate!

Been working on some body anatomy:

4588265_orig.jpg

4710336_orig.jpg

Definitely need to do more of these since they provide a great deal of challenge (and take long too!)
  • Antone_m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great Job there Viktor ,can`t wait to see the full sculpt keep it up
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    In RPG terms, you went from level 8 to level 32. Makes me wonder why kind of exploits you're using. You must have found the best farming spot for experience. =p
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pancakes, Haha, thanks man. But I don't think I've made that huge of a leap - ok maybe lvl 8 to lvl 10 ;)

Some recent heads:

2788499_orig.jpg
    3885831_orig.jpg
    7425421_orig.jpg
    9185196_orig.jpg
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Likeness study from today:

1840660_orig.jpg

Can anybody guess who she is? If not, then I didn't do a very good job!

And a simple hand:

hand_zb_zpsbebc603b.jpg
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Jennifer Lawrence? Really enjoying seeing your studies, great work!
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Adam! Yep, you guessed it right, it's Jennifer. Love your character work by the way - have a couple of them saved out in my inspiration folder :)
  • Bao92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bao92 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey looking great so far! :D
    really nice to see progress and jennifer is great :D
    But i have a feeling that the eyes of the other heads are a bit too similar.
    anyway just my two cents. Keep it up!
  • Korgoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Korgoth polycounter lvl 8
    Excellent studies. Definitely subscribing to this thread.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Sculpts are looking awesome, most of them are looking like scans!! Individually they look great but together I can see you still have a few features you are holding onto. Most noteably the bridge of the nose which you have quite sharp and flat when its actually smooth and mostly rounded. Your outer brow is still poking out alot, skulls do have a ridge there but remember theres fat and muscle that fills up that area too. Eye shape is also fairly similar, if you paint in pupils it might help as opposed to just having sculpted ones. But generally your doing fantastic,

what helped me is to work on form over anything else, this means avoiding cut ins like laughing lines and using the inflate brush a fair bit to emphasise underlying forms. The more likenesses you try you will probably notice how smooth faces actually are and its the underlying structures which are doing most of the work.

Everyone has a style to their work, even the jukes and grassettis have ways of doing stuff thats noticeable, the trick is learning to notice them and make sure it isnt as noticeable from piece to piece, I have the same problem haha, I think people see me coming from miles away haha

had a bit of time during lunch to do a ham fisted paintover of jen to show you what I mean, take with a pinch of salt though as its super quick. Ive changed her eye shape, smoothed lots of features, shrunk her nose and mouth, I also think the hair isnt working for her either, bit too 80s haha, fantastic stuff though :) hope it helps....and makes sense haha

kl_paintpver_jen.gif
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bao92, Hey thanks man, glad you dig em! Agreed on the fact that I still have quite a few similarities in features such as the shape of the eyes - the solution is to observe more and apply the feedback (a wake up call, really) such as yours. Again, thanks for pointing that out! :)

@Korgoth, Hey, glad you're liking these; thanks for following my work!

@crazyfool, I hear ya Tom! :) Great suggestions all around, especially concerning the bridge of the nose where I dig that area out a bit too much in almost every face sculpt that I have (starting to see it now that people began mentioning it). Also agree on the fact that it may help me in determining the shape of the eyes if I paint some basic eyes in (also helps with determining the size of eyes).

In terms of everyone having their own style - agreed, I can definitely spot your work from miles away :) Which isn't a bad thing if the execution is well, and you've been on the right track for years and years now! Will try to alleviate my issue of similarities in features though it won't happen overnight for obvious reasons. But at least now that's one of my major focuses since fellow artists keep giving me advice on what to fix, which is great!

Appreciate you dropping by and taking the time to do the paintover! I'm working on some other things at the moment, but she'll get a revision sometime in the future for sure. p.s. I love everything 80's haha

Here's a wip of another full body sculpt:

4256852_orig.jpg
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a fairly quick upper torso anatomy study:

6586996_orig.jpg
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    i agree wit heveryone else, last time I check your stuff was really good, now like crayzmen said it looks like scans! inspiring progress :)
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This thread is so enjoyable. You do such great work, Kot. I would love to see what you would do with some female hair studies. Like trying out flat hair, wavy hair, ponytails, etc...
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mr Smo, Glad you dig 'em, thanks for dropping by!
    @Krista, Thank you, you're too kind! :) Even though I would like to spend more time on fundamentals (hands, feet, and female bodies are still a challenge), I'm liking the idea of trying out different hair styles using specific references instead of mere generalizations.

A weekend sketch:

8611977_orig.jpg
  • Bao92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bao92 polycounter lvl 9
    this one's looking great! love the asymmetry! keep it up!:D
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bao92, thanks bud!

Anatomy study wip:

4769226_orig.jpg

Will work on her body next.
  • Antone_m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    her nose looks alittle bit wide ! , I do like the latest male face alot more actually , but the hair looks very nice and the eyes add alot to each face , keep it up mate
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's how her nose appeared in the reference pic that I used. Part of the reason is she's Hispanic, not Caucasian.

Did some texturing, here's an update:

3941779_orig.jpg
  • Damik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damik polycounter lvl 7
    Looking great Viktor!

Loving it all, old man, female face, body, polypaint, all of it.

2 things though:
    Firstly, her nose is wide as you point out. That's fine its just that is looks to square, as if you have startet from the planes of the face and then haven't smoothed them out enough.
    Secondly your shoulders look weird from the side view. Its like the top of the deltoid is in front of the clavicle instead of being fastened to the end of it.

Keep up the awesome work, and talk to you soon in our meetings :)

/Daniel
  • Abrvpt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Great stuff as always =) Your characters doesn't look like siblings any more. Still you seems attracted by strong noses. ^^ I like it because it's not common especially on female, it's easier to make a pretty looking girl with a small nose. But you should try to find some references of people with small and/ or sharp noses with a very visible nasal bone and sharp cartilage, it could widen your spectrum of faces.

Keep up the good stuff !