Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Some guy...... I guess........ I don't know who he is.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
duncan polycounter lvl 11
Thinking of starting a new character. He started off a "The Goon" but I am not 100% sure I am gonna continue with that or shoot off in a new direction. hahaha I guess I will continue with the goon until I or someone else has a cool idea.

LATEST UPDATE:

Started working on the details and his bang bang.

wip09.jpg

Replies

• Caldria
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome proportions! His face reminds me a little of Jason Statham.
  • Natland
    Offline / Send Message
    Natland polycounter lvl 9
    Man this guy needs to work on his legs haha. I don't think the proportions you have right now are working, but you are changing that anyways. I am excited to see what you come up with for him.
  • MrNinjutsu
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Dude your work always inspires me, keep it coming! An this is no exception. Quite fond of the face scars man, good job on the proportions too.

Edit: Whatever happened to your Thor?
  • duncan
    Offline / Send Message
    Just busting out some anatomy and proportion ideas.

wip02.jpg

@ Caldria : Thanks :thumbup: .... haha........ Jason Statham..... maybe
  • duncan
    Offline / Send Message
    @ MrNinjutsu : thanks :D
  • Natland
    Offline / Send Message
    Natland polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah for sure, I mean it just needs to be balanced out. I am not gonna say too much till you post another WIP because I know your awesome haha.
  • duncan
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Natland : haha thanks, but you do make a good point and I will definitely play with them later on down the line :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Quick poly paint to get a bit more of a vibe

wip03n.jpg
  • SA_22
    looks sick as always!

duncan you need to start making videos!!!!
  • HandSandwich
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    SA_22 wrote: »
    looks sick as always!

duncan you need to start making videos!!!!

THIS.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great, I see he has the cauliflower boxing ear going on. :)

Big upper, smaller lower, isn't that always how it is at the Gym.

Nice work, glad to see you still trucking along, lend me some motivation. ;)
  • futurepoly
    looks great so far. I think you should try inverting his shins a little bit more to match the sketch. It will help convey the massive upper body weight better. Can't wait to see this bad boy finished.
  • duncan
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone.

@ SA_22 : Thanks :D I swear the videos will start when I can get more than an hour to work on something and when I get the internet at home. Poor excuses I know but thats what I got :) thanks again

@ D4V1DC : Ta very much, "Big upper, smaller lower, isn't that always how it is at the Gym" haha I guess so, I am more of a jogger.

@ futurepoly : Thanks for the feedback. I think the lower half is going to need some major tweeking. I am keen to see him finished too. If he comes out half a well as he looks in my head I will be happy.

New even though he does not look it.
    Merged the bust with the body, Re topologised, Uv unwrap, Projected sculpt and polypaint, converted polypaint to texture as a base.

wip04.jpg

Thanks again everyone more to come soon.
  • duncan
    Offline / Send Message
    More from me.

Started sculpting the jeans.

wip05l.jpg
  • CordellC
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Ah man that is totally sweet! Can't wait to see more.
  • Erik Rönnblom
    Loving it, proper 'ard guy. Reminds me a bit of the gangster version of tom hanks in cloud atlas (in a good way) :thumbup:
  • makecg
    Nice work man your one of my favorite 3d dudes.
  • kevino025
    Offline / Send Message
    kevino025 polycounter lvl 10
    Gotta say, I love the proportions you have for this character. Are you planing on giving him something for the upper body, more scars, tattoos or even a small tank top all tattered up? Either way I'm gonna be watching this one.

Cheers!
  • ILLMATICC
    Offline / Send Message
    ILLMATICC polycounter lvl 6
    arghhh sooooo sick dude, cant wait to see how this develops
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    In think his arms are disproportionate. For one, the upper arm is as long as the lower arm+hand, whereas normally the upper arm is as long as the lower arm (without the hand, so up to the wrist). They also seem to only be thick, and not have any contrasting small parts. If you look at that other guys' sketch, you'll note that though the biceps and triceps are huge, they taper down to a relatively narrow elbow, and the wrist is rather thin as well.

Along the same lines, the legs are just thin, with no extra-thin parts or somewhat chunky bits to show that this is an exaggerated form. And the face also lacks some charicaturizing features. Together these three things add up to make it look more like a disproportionate Dishonored model than a very strongly stylized cartoon like the sketch. (I know that you're not literally making that sketch, but it seems to be your main reference)
  • Umar6419
    Offline / Send Message
    Umar6419 polycounter lvl 7
    Great Design and Well finished !
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    looking great so far :)

take it with a pinch of salt as it might not be where you want to take him, but I did a quick paintover during break, excuse thr roughness hehe.

Looking at the awesome sketch up top it looks like hes all back and triceps which means he needs broader shoulders and more pronounced lats. At the moment the arms are too close I think, Ive also slightly tweaked his legs so they come in more like the stylised sketch above. ......couldnt resist a salvador version hehe.

hes lookin ace though dude!!! look forward to seeing where you take him. again its only a suggestion

duncan_muscles-copy.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Crazyfool has some good points. Looking at the concept I think there is a lack of V-shape. Also the torso looks too small in width to be able to carry those huge arms.
    Keep the hands at proportional size with the face though. Will make him look that much bigger.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    you are the pants master! Looking great.

- BoBo
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Those proportions are crazy! I like it, haha.

I think he needs some work from the back view though. The triceps and the rear delt look a little too off even though this is a stylized piece.

Like where this is going though, keep it up!

[edit]
    reference: http://www.t-nation.com/img/photos/2011/11-673-01/huge-triceps.jpg
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    wow i love the style your going for! has a lot of character! totalyl following this
  • scotthomer
  • duncan
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the rad feedback everyone.

I would make a longer post but lunch break is over so ssshhhhhhh :poly103:

Started working on his anatomy. need to go through and smooth out the muscle groups a bit and tweek. Not really happy with the shoulders so I will play with those. NEED to start on the hands. Also added a quick singlet to get the vibe.

Still so much to do.

wip06.jpg

HUGE THANKS again everyone.
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Proportion are loads better, although I think there's too much going on on his arms. Since all the muscles are so bulky then tend towards standing by themselves rather than unite into a single shape and flow. Again, looking at the side-drawing his forearms are much thinner than the upper arm and only the major muscular shapes are pronounced.
    Don't know if its a reference or just inspiration but I think those proportions are really neat.
    The legs have a very nice flow though. Transfer that feeling to the rest of the character.
  • afisher
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Great update man. Love the proportions and style. You could maybe widen the chest and upper back a little bit further, but apart from that it's gonna be another killer piece from you :)
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    This is really awesome, like others have said, i really like his proportions. Fabric folds on the pants or really nice as well.
  • Guedin
    Offline / Send Message
    Guedin polycounter lvl 11
    I love this guy Duncan !
  • HandSandwich
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    This makes me smile.
  • duncan
    Offline / Send Message
    YAY! DAILY SPAM :)

Thanks everyone.

@ CordellC : :)

@ Erik Rönnblom : hahah thanks.

@ makecg : Thanks man.

@ kevino025 : Thanks. Yeah, Scars and a dirty ratty singlet. Pretty much like die hard.
    die-hard.jpeg

@ ILLMATICC : Thanks

@ Snader : Thanks for the feedback :thumbup:. I am actually going for a bit more of a Dishonored style, basically a blend between Dishonored and that spundman sketch. I hope you are digging the vibe of this dude a bit more now. Thanks again for the great feedback.

@ crazyfool : Thanks for the rad paintovers Mr :) I love That mini hulk, makes me laugh. I decided to slim him down a bit instead of bulk him up. I will have a play with the legs to try and get a bit more shape. Thanks again man.:thumbup:

@ BoBo_the_seal : haha Thanks man :thumbup:

@ BradMyers82 : Thanks for the ref. Yeah I suck at anatomy, I hope they look a bit better now.

@ scotthomer : You knowz it.

@ AimBiZ : Thanks. I hope the arms don't stand out so much now. Yeah I probably should have mentioned earlier that that shot was just the initial inspiration. Style wise I guess I am going for more of a bit of a blend between the spundman and Dishonoured styles.

@ afisher : Thanks dude. I actually went the other way and took out a far bit of bulk, which I hope has the same effect. Perhaps not so I might have a play.

@ TrevorJ : Thanks.

@ Guedin : Ta very much.

@ HandSandwich : hehe

More body play. I am much happier with the torso now. Still a bit to play with and then just some more scar action. BUT FIRST...I am gonna start the hands.

wip07.jpg

Thanks again everyone :thumbup::D:thumbup:
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    looks really nice but im not sure the torso thickness is working. I get what you're going for but the huge traps with no lats feels off.
  • duncan
    Offline / Send Message
    @ LRoy : Thanks. Rather than pop out the lats too much (which tends to make the torso look too short), I sucked in the ribs, so they sit a little more naturally. I will play a little more tonight but I hope this is a step in the right direction. Thanks again :thumbup:

wip07b.jpg
  • duncan
    Offline / Send Message
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    this is looking great so far and i know you went with the narrow torso intentionally BUT it does not work aesthetically i think.

narrow torso just makes him look weak and makes the arms look fake.

apblp1.jpg

there is a lot of power in that character that gets lost in the narrow torso you have.
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I think whats throwing me is that he has a tree trunk for a neck. If you narrow his neck and shrink his head a bit you might be able to get away with the narrower torso. But right now he looks a bit like this: draft_lens17805772module149314156photo_1301951376anchor_arms.jpeg
  • mr_ace
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    this is coming along great, i like the direction you're taking it
  • Dan!
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    coming along great!
  • duncan
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone.

@ MM : Thanks for the feedback. I had a quick play with the torso. I did not go too crazy but it is wider. I am not 100% sure which I like better now. Maybe there is just not enough difference. I tried to go really wide but it just looked silly.

Quick test. what do people think?.... thicker or thinner?

widthtest.jpg
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I just feel his massive neck looks odd being larger than his waist. I think they need to have the same width for the torso to work.
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    duncan wrote: »
    I tried to go really wide but it just looked silly.

i would go with silly and make it real wide torso like it is in the concept.

personally i think you are being partially timid with the stylization if you don't go silly, but it is your final call.
  • naruSol
    Offline / Send Message
    naruSol polycounter lvl 18
    Wider is an improvement, but he needs more lats to go with those traps. right now they are barely even visible in the front view.
  • AimBiZ
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    might be a posture issue, I had a quick play with stuff you could try. I think the main thing is the delts and lats can go alot bigger, I think its a shoulder roll problem where the shoulders are rolled down but the chest is rolled up

Ive linked the paintover here so not to muddy your thread :( see what you think though as it might not be right
  • duncan
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys and girls.

I tried to push his proportions and I might be crazy but in the end I decided to stick with what I had, just thickened up his thighs a bit... sorry (don't hate me too much) :( but thank you all so much for the advice. I may still tweek bits and pieces.

Started working on the details and his bang bang.

wip09.jpg

Thanks again everyone.
  • MeintevdS
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    I'm glad you stuck with your proportions, sure it might not be anatomically correct, (And sure I might be a bit of a duncan fanboy :p) but it does give the character more personality I think, and I felt like the paintovers shown by other people made him look to generic.

One of these days you should get one of your models 3D printed.
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    I agree with MeintevdS in that most of the paintover's took away from your original approach (with the exception of maybe a wider torso). Love it!
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    slight necro :) just wanted to say Im glad you stuck to your guns, the holsters really helped fill him out in the mid section, great job