Home General Discussion

Dragon Age: Inquisition

mod
Hey all! Just wanted to share a new video for Dragon Age: Inquisition.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzuR1Fn_b48"]Dragon Age: Inquisition -- Discover the Dragon Age - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    So many good RPG's coming this year, this is gonna have to do something special to stand out after the poor DA:2.
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Well, now I feel like a shitty artist. I'm a huge Dragon Age fan. I love it. LOVE IT. I haven't really been following this game that much, so I have no idea if they are going to step away from the type of game DA2 was, or who the main characters are..but from looking at this trailer..this may be what I have been wanting from them.
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    That looks pretty damn amazing! Gief!
  • zicoV
    I'm pretty excited about this. Loved the Dragon Age games so far.

Also it looks freaking gorgeous!
  • HitmonInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Interesting choice for a monument.
    k3YOEB3.jpg
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Art direction looks interesting, bordering on good, quality of assets...not so much. Dragon Age pretty much died after origins though, rather the quality and scope seemed to have taken a nose dive.

Maybe this will be different but I wont bet on it until proven otherwise.
  • Nox
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox polycounter lvl 5
    Just from the trailer it's already obvious that story is going to be same old boring bla bla you a hero and must save the world bla
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I wanna see the combat !! Gameplay mechanic is the only decision maker for me.
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Dataday wrote: »
    Art direction looks interesting, bordering on good, quality of assets...not so much. Dragon Age pretty much died after origins though, rather the quality and scope seemed to have taken a nose dive.

Maybe this will be different but I wont bet on it until proven otherwise.

Quality of individual assets is irrelevelant. Only thing that matter is they are working good togather. If this trailer is anything to go by, environment are just amazing actually.

Although I want to see some actuall gameplay.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside wrote: »
    Quality of individual assets is irrelevelant. Only thing that matter is they are working good togather. If this trailer is anything to go by, environment are just amazing actually.

Although I want to see some actuall gameplay.

I disagree completely. The assets themselves are just as important as the art direction. A good example can be had with say something like Bioshock infinite. The art direction was good, but when you see badly mirrored texture work all over the place, or some really bad mesh work, or a stretched UV, then all it does is alienate, it pulls the spectator out of the immersive state. Granted, as artist, we are more likely to pick up this than the average gamer.

Generally speaking, as sequels progress, as hardware gets better, the quality of assets or how they are used should improve. Not sure I really saw that consistently displayed in the video.

To each their own though.
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    I agree with iniside here. As a gamer, i don't mind if assets aren't top notch, as long as art direction and all that is really good.

I mean sure, low res texture, obvious tiling and stuff...it can be annoying, sure, but still, if the bigger picture is done correctly i don't mind it.

On the other hand, no outstanding asset will help you if you get the overall direction wrong.

Just my opinion anyhow.

Also, looks interesting for sure. Hopefully better then DA2 though. Liked DAO a lot....
  • DatMiyamoto
    I think it looks interesting sadly it's on the Frostbite engine so I'm worried we are losing mod support in another franchise :(
  • slipsius
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Dataday wrote: »
    A good example can be had with say something like Bioshock infinite.

I disagree, and didn't notice that much at all about Infinite. Beautiful assets, and beautiful direction.

About Dragon-Age.... I don't think it looks much better than Skyrim. Which isn't a bad way to look, save for the fact that Skyrim is now 3 years old.
  • Equanim
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Dragon Age has always looked pretty stripped down, even the first one. This is the forest from the first game, released back in '09...

Forest_Stream.png

Inquisition looks like a huge step forward to me. If they release it within the next year or two, it'll have the advantage of being early in the console cycle and will feel like less of a fallback to the last generation.

In terms of art direction, I think it really comes down to consistency. The player will accept a certain level of fidelity as long as everything is in the same ballpark. When an asset dips below the quality level, it really stands out, but that doesn't mean everything has to be hero level.

Most games I've played over the last few years have either had relatively simple assets but in great numbers, or really well crafted assets but noticeably less variation. Either one looks good as long as it's consistent. Bioshock would definitely fall in the latter btw.
  • emerald-shine
    Offline / Send Message
    emerald-shine polycounter lvl 4
    Dragon age Origins was the game that got me into RPGS. Sure the graphics werent amazing but the story and characters were. I cant remember the last time I was so engrossed in a game. DA2 was... meh, didnt like it. DA3 looks great and I would be excited if not for one thing...EA.

EA continuosly gouge their consumers for more $$$$ while giving them less for their money, they have a history of anti consumer practices that just keeps on going and as a result I have boycotted EA. I will never buy one of their games again.. so no DA3 for me :(

At least I still have the Witcher 3:)
  • Irreal
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    Did you boycott Occulus rift too?
  • merwynl
    Offline / Send Message
    merwynl polycounter lvl 8
    looks awesome. wasn't too big on the first two but visually, this looks to be an improvement.
  • slipsius
    Shameless plug! First AAA trailer I directly had a part in. weee!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO2h4qUNJ60"]DRAGON AGE?: INQUISITION Gameplay Trailer - The Inquisitor - YouTube[/ame]
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    That was incredible, I definitely have to try this out when it comes out.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
  • ZombieWells
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    just finished up playing the second dragons age,(second play through) Now back to Origins. So I am maybe seeing the keeper from origins... Right now I can only make out the Inquisitor and Varric from 2. I hope that there more NPCs coming back from the first game ;) Anyhow looks great! Hope it has the combat of 2, but the story, depth, character building, and LOCATIONS of Origins.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this gonna be more hack n slash than the previous titles ?
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like I'm reinstalling origin on my computer in October. I'm so ready for this.
  • slipsius
    Our new Gamescon gameplay, for those of you who missed it!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfzx4Y8EzpM"]Dragon Age Inquisition Gameplay 1080p HD (Gamescom 2014) - YouTube[/ame]
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Looks really interesting. Too bad it's EA which, management issues aside, means that as A PC gamer I'd have to get it on Origin. And that's not happening.
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok. One question.

Can anyone explain to me why game from the end of 2014 doesn't have cloth simulation on all long clothing (kilts, skirts, robes), and instead animate long clothing along legs bones, which looks ridiculous ?
  • slipsius
    Not a question i can answer... theres definitely some cloth sim. Just not on all articles of clothing.

But, DAI is finally released!!! Such an amazing feeling. So proud of the entire team! I feel incredibly honoured to have gotten the chance to be apart of such an awesome project. And it's my first AAA game release! Weeee!

Who's playing? What system?
  • DanConroy
    Offline / Send Message
    DanConroy polycounter lvl 18
    I can't wait to get in and play this tonight, I've been looking forward to it for bloody ages.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    iniside wrote: »
    Ok. One question.

Can anyone explain to me why game from the end of 2014 doesn't have cloth simulation on all long clothing (kilts, skirts, robes), and instead animate long clothing along legs bones, which looks ridiculous ?

I think it's mainly a gen3 concession. This project was started in a time when gen4 adoption rates were still uncertain so they probably wanted to play safe and do it for both gen 3 and 4, which means some sacrifices need to be made.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    I would play on PC, but the hate I feel towards Origin prevents that. I'm surprised they dont seem to care how unpopular it is. After DA2, the franchise itself is going to be met with cautious skepticism, the art in DA:I looks good though so props to those of you who worked on it.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Pre-ordered for PS4, been waiting on this a long time! Good job guys :)
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    I think it's mainly a gen3 concession. This project was started in a time when gen4 adoption rates were still uncertain so they probably wanted to play safe and do it for both gen 3 and 4, which means some sacrifices need to be made.

Bah. AC3 somehow managed it on prev gen with more characters on screen (;.

Anyway. Games is good. But I say, that tactical mode is completly not needed, and I rather see Dragon Age evolve into Mass Effect combat entirely. Game would benefit from it.

To be perfectly honest old school rpg fans will still not like the combat that is DAI, and fans of full action combat in RPG like me, will find it that combat in DAI is not action enough.

Never the less, it's still fun to play. Hope in DA4 it will be full action ;p.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Excited to play this. All across the board the feedback and impressions are that its a fun and immersive game. It looks amazing, so props to the people involved here.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Just had the chance to sit down and play a little DA. Damn... with this and FC4 out earlier its kind of an awesomesauce overload to the brain :D Art and script are fantastic!!
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Yeah, I have been playing this every night since it came out. It has been an absolute ton of fun so far. Seriously, all you guys and ladies who worked on this, great job.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    A quick question to those of you playing the game : anyone knows of a video showing more of this room ?

inquisition-war-table.jpg

I absolutely love the lighting and composition of this scene, and even though it is probably staged just for the screenshot I would love to see more of it for the sake of studying it. I believe it is called the War Room (or is it the War Table ?) but I couldn't find much about it besides the little two seconds clip in the video posted earlier in the thread.

Thanks !
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Dunno really know about the room.. but just picked this up earlier today. Gonna give it a spin later. Anyone have been playing it with other people?
  • Irreal
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    I made and lit that room including the rest of Skyhold. That was a composed shot (not by me) and sadly taken before I'd had a chance to put the windows in. It's on the back of the box too also minus the windows. :/

The lighting is pretty much just the night time Visual Environment with a few warmer lights from the candles above and to the sides. The moon light is at the same angle as the sunlight is with the daytime Visual Environment to keep things consistent during cutscenes.

Table was modeled by Dimitar Tzvetanov.

Glad you like it :)

I'll eventually post some shots (once I take them) of this and the rest of Skyhold.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Wow, straight from the source ! Very cool stuff to hear man, thank you for all these details and congratulations on a gorgeous piece of work :)
  • Sean VanGorder
    Loving the game, the environments are gorgeous and fun to explore.
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    This game is awesome so far. Love the premise and the idea of building up forces.
  • bounchfx
    Agreed, this game is just incredible. Make sure you guys actually do the first couple story missions to get some new party members.. I spent like 7 hours just in the hinterlands and honestly was getting a bit tired since it was so repetitive, before I realized I was only just clearing that out and not progressing any of the story. It gets so, so much better, especially after you get past the prologue/first act. The game is HUGE.

downsides would be:

the constant crashing. In my first ten hours I probably had 3 straight to desktop crashes and 6 hard locks, two in cutscenes and the rest in the war room. :(. I haven't had one in the last two hours though so that's good!

secondly would be the glossiness. The game confuses me, because lots of it is brilliant and beautiful, but then there's a LOT of materials that have white dots for spec, and it seems to me that someone added an extra digit to the end of the gloss value or something.. it's hard to imagine it's intentional. There's also quite a number of weapons and armors that look very poorly made.. it only really stands out because there's some fantastic stuff in there too and swapping between them can be very jarring. There's a lot of content though so I imagine time was short and sometimes this stuff can happen.

there's also a handful of just straight up baffling decisions. a lot seem like they can be patched but I'm not expecting anything. stuff like the tactical cam, the lock on cam, "valuables" containing research items (and being named valuables?? when it's just junk), and a bit more, but it's all smaller scale stuff, nothing that affects the game at large with exception of the tac cam. It's real easy to nitpick stuff like this because the rest of the game is of very high quality.

Overall, A+, easily a contender for RPG GOTY and I'm only 20 hours in so far... plus Divinity came out this year.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Bounch what are you playing on? I can't say I've experienced any crashes since I started playing, pretty smooth sailing for me. I've been sessioning it in hinterlands too just collecting herbs, shards, etc. don't mind taking time to complete each area. You may be right about the gloss, I didn't see anything that stood out that weird to me but maybe you just have a better eye for it than I do :D

...but yeah, this and FC4, easily the best 2014 releases on PS4 for me!
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    I had a really hard time trying to enjoy this game on PC. I'm at recommended settings but still had hardlocks and had to restart my computer 5-6 times before I gave up.

I fixed it by doing a couple of things. Disabling Origins in-game overlay, holyshit. Who came up with that? I got rid of most of the stutter and went from like 10 to 40 fps. Huge improvement. I also downloaded the new AMD drivers and started playing in fullscreen windowed mode ( which I don't know how I didn't see when I did my options. ) And now I can play it at 30-40ish fps on all setting on Low except for Meshes which is at High to get rid of the shiny hair.

I like it! I thought it was going to end 10-15 hours in, but damn, I was just getting started. ^^ It still stutter quite a bit, and have really long loading screens. Which kind of kills the mood for me, sadly. Nevertheless a great game! I really need to get some better components for my computer this christmas ^^
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I had a really hard time trying to enjoy this game on PC. I'm at recommended settings but still had hardlocks and had to restart my computer 5-6 times before I gave up.

thanks for the tips, what pc have u got?
  • bounchfx
    Torch wrote: »
    Bounch what are you playing on?

I'm playing on PC with a 360 controller

I fixed it by doing a couple of things. Disabling Origins in-game overlay, holyshit. Who came up with that? I got rid of most of the stutter and went from like 10 to 40 fps. Huge improvement. I also downloaded the new AMD drivers and started playing in fullscreen windowed mode ( which I don't know how I didn't see when I did my options. ) And now I can play it at 30-40ish fps on all setting on Low except for Meshes which is at High to get rid of the shiny hair.

I like it! I thought it was going to end 10-15 hours in, but damn, I was just getting started. ^^ It still stutter quite a bit, and have really long loading screens. Which kind of kills the mood for me, sadly. Nevertheless a great game! I really need to get some better components for my computer this christmas ^^

damn man, yeah I'm on recommended settings as well, maybe a tad above processer wise, but I've been able to run 30+ fps with everything on high, though I am on Nvidia but it's hard to believe it would be that much of a difference?

I need to try turning off the origin overlay though, maybe that's causing some of my issues. Plus the achievement sound is jarring as hell every time haha! BLWEEEE!

hope you can get the performance sorted out, this game is so dang good
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    I love everything but the achievement sounds. Plz....stop.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Was going to buy it for PC.
    "Origin Online Login is Unavailable"

Umm... Fate ? or sign ?