Home General Discussion

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    Agreed, this game is just incredible. Make sure you guys actually do the first couple story missions to get some new party members.. I spent like 7 hours just in the hinterlands and honestly was getting a bit tired since it was so repetitive, before I realized I was only just clearing that out and not progressing any of the story. It gets so, so much better, especially after you get past the prologue/first act. The game is HUGE.

downsides would be:

the constant crashing. In my first ten hours I probably had 3 straight to desktop crashes and 6 hard locks, two in cutscenes and the rest in the war room. :(. I haven't had one in the last two hours though so that's good!

secondly would be the glossiness. The game confuses me, because lots of it is brilliant and beautiful, but then there's a LOT of materials that have white dots for spec, and it seems to me that someone added an extra digit to the end of the gloss value or something.. it's hard to imagine it's intentional. There's also quite a number of weapons and armors that look very poorly made.. it only really stands out because there's some fantastic stuff in there too and swapping between them can be very jarring. There's a lot of content though so I imagine time was short and sometimes this stuff can happen.

there's also a handful of just straight up baffling decisions. a lot seem like they can be patched but I'm not expecting anything. stuff like the tactical cam, the lock on cam, "valuables" containing research items (and being named valuables?? when it's just junk), and a bit more, but it's all smaller scale stuff, nothing that affects the game at large with exception of the tac cam. It's real easy to nitpick stuff like this because the rest of the game is of very high quality.

Overall, A+, easily a contender for RPG GOTY and I'm only 20 hours in so far... plus Divinity came out this year.

Completely agree with all of this, except I'm playing on Xbox One so I don't have issues with crashing. I also really, REALLY hope they patch in a way to change your character's appearance mid-game. Even just allowing a hairstyle change would be great.

What classes are you guys playing? I went with my usual 2-handed warrior but the rogues are pretty fun to play as well.

Side note, I think Sera may be one of my new favorite game characters.
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Was going to buy it for PC.
    "Origin Online Login is Unavailable"

Umm... Fate ? or sign ?

Origin is being Ddos attacked by a group of losers. They're probably acting out because Denuvo isn't cracked yet.

Edit: Sera is my new favorite character too, she's hilarious.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    This game made me upgrade my graphics card twice. I had originally a Radeon HD 6850 and then Enodmi gave me his old GTX 660 and then I was like I wonder how this game would run on a more powerful card so I ordered a GTX 970.

The game run great on the 660 but I have the post effects disabled. It was crashing in every cut scene on the HD 6850. I want to run max settings though.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Why does it keep bugging me with Console Command Prompt ?? And worse, it doesn't fking close! Pressing the Accent doesn't close it, nor does Enter when it's empty.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    ErichWK wrote: »
    I love everything but the achievement sounds. Plz....stop.

+1

Also there's a lot of uncanny valley stuff in this game. Some characters' faces look really nice, only to clash with some of the extremely generic and low poly NPC clothing - pretty much any kind of clothing that's not armor, like those chantry robes.
    Or when the NPCs move their head and stuff intersects...or the stiff helmet hair. That's just freaky when it happens.

> Disabling Origins in-game overlay, holyshit.

Thanks for the tip. Gotta try that. The crashes really annoy me.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Love this game so far a big step up from both 1 and 2 imo, the only thing im not a fan of so far is the wierd metal materials that really clashes with the very good artwork in general. The game feels really really big.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Also enjoying it. Haven't played a DA since the 1st one so it's nice to have a fresh experience again. Loving it though to fix performance I updated to latest Nvidia driver, turned off Origin ingame and added that command that sets a lock to 60fps for cutscenes.

I'm enjoying it though as everyone says it really picks up after the 1st act which is where I just stopped, 10 hours in ;P

Only negative I have so far are the armour designs. Not a fan of them so far though maybe later armour is more to my liking. I literally sided with the templars hoping I'd loot a treasure chest with their sweet armour T.T

Oh and I dunno if dragons are random but I saw a blip on the radar, checked it out joking to myself it was probably a dragon and it was a bear...with a dragon behind it fighting a giant...When I got close it flew away :<

P.S. Not ashamed to say I sung along to the song after the 1st act.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    Really enjoying it so far, although I'm playing through on PS4 and really wish I was on pc. I'm waiting till the Wicher 3 to upgrade my machine and am paying the price, this game is so buggy and at times looks a little weird. Although it sounds like that's the case across the board?

I've already had a lot of pretty irritating bugs, easily repeatable freezes, dialogue and cutscenes freezing whenever one particular character finishes their dialogue which forces me to skip some major story cutscenes, unable to turn in some quests. I still really like the game (which is saying something with these issues) but I would suggest holding off on the PS4 version if you are looking to get it until, here's hoping, this stuff is patched out.

Have to agree with bounchfx's post too.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    mazz423 wrote: »
    Really enjoying it so far, although I'm playing through on PS4 and really wish I was on pc. I'm waiting till the Wicher 3 to upgrade my machine and am paying the price, this game is so buggy and at times looks a little weird.

That's really weird, I'm on PS4 too and have experienced 0 bugs, literally no issues whatsoever! I guess they'll be releasing a patch soon.

Although while on the subject of Bioware I did see a pretty good bug in Mass Effect ages ago, where during dialog with another character their head started rotating 360 degrees as they spoke, like something out of the exorcist :poly136:
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Torch wrote: »
    That's really weird, I'm on PS4 too and have experienced 0 bugs, literally no issues whatsoever! I guess they'll be releasing a patch soon.

Although while on the subject of Bioware I did see a pretty good bug in Mass Effect ages ago, where during dialog with another character their head started rotating 360 degrees as they spoke, like something out of the exorcist :poly136:

I saw that happen in Fallout 3 but their head was rotating vertically.
  • brojay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This game is squarely the center of my Christmas list.

With GTA V and Destiny, I already have too many games/distractions around.. but man, I can't wait to play it.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Ok. I have played about 60h so far and I can safely say it's best game I have played this year.

But! I have one complain, which is very important to me. There is very, very low armor variety in game. There are like, wha 6 light armors > From which at least two looks like passant grab ;/. And one doesn't have cloth sima appiled (the one called Orlais something).
    So this left me with 3 almost decent looking light armors.

I honestly expected more. At least 15 per armor type.
    My character look nerd is not satisfied by this part.

I hope there will be full expansion, and it will add a lot more visual variety to armor (unique meshes). Different texture is not visual variety.

I mean GuildWars 2 managed it. And they have cloth sim baked on every armor in game, and there are over all more than 100 unique looking armor sets (at game launch). And it's MMMO. And it also haven been in production for 5 years.

And last thing. Oh come on. Cloth sim can be appiled to every long coat/rone armor. If platform can't handle it, you can always disable it and resolve to armor rigged to legs or generic cloth bones which are animated with legs. It doesn't add any real cost.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Graphic looks really gorgeous, especially the scenery. Beautiful.

User interface design and control is pretty bad especially for a PC.
    Sometimes I can't tell why I can't tell the Inquisitor to interact with the Breach while I command other party member. In Tactical Mode sometimes the member I select will BasicAttack only once, sometimes it's toggled on/off instead. Reviving members is even a much bigger pain in chaotic fight.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Graphic looks really gorgeous, especially the scenery. Beautiful.

User interface design and control is pretty bad especially for a PC.
    Sometimes I can't tell why I can't tell the Inquisitor to interact with the Breach while I command other party member. In Tactical Mode sometimes the member I select will BasicAttack only once, sometimes it's toggled on/off instead. Reviving members is even a much bigger pain in chaotic fight.

I plugged in a controller to my pc. After doing this the game gets a ton more fun.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a collection of tarot card artwork that someone put together

http://imgur.com/a/oI1W8
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I take back my criticism about armour a little. As expected you get more flashy armour further into the game aka you earn it but what I will say is the variety seems lacking and it's a shame we can't colour match either. After going through SWTOR and how they dealt with armour, it felt like a step backwards.

Otherwise really enjoying it now. Decided to go back to Hinterlands and accidently stumbled on a dragon...cue an hour of fighting until it was dead ^^ Was fun.

By the way a useful non spoiler tip, collect as many shards as you can.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Bumping this thread as I've spent the last week playing this whenever I can.

It. is. AMAZING. Playing on PS4, and audio bugs aside, I am loving this game. Already thinking about my subsequent playthroughs. Currently running a mage, not sure what specialization to go for (either RM or KE, I use "The Necromancer" all the time, don't need two).
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    finished this in 60 hours.

environment art and lighting is stunning. escpecially considering the size of some levels.

character art though is pretty varied quality wise. also its a bit tough to go from AC:Unity cutscene quality back to this, but its okay once you get used to it.

had the crashes too, but disabling the bokeh depth of field fixed it for me.
  • BeardyDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeardyDan polycounter lvl 2
    I really like the game, I am not a big fan of the War Table though. As it stands there are only three advisors and it kind of sucks when there are some operations that last 20+ hours. Having to keep travelling back to access it isn't great either.

Aside from that ( and the floating beards ) the game is really good :D.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    For the War Table, for the 10+ hour missions, I'll usually set that as my last mission set before I go to bed, since they happen naturally over time. Traveling to it is kind of annoying.
  • BeardyDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I didn't realize they worked like that. That's helpful, cheers!
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Plus if you wanna cheat...well you can just alt tab, set the PC time to next day and then back again and it'll complete apparently.

But cheating is for chumps :P

I'm about 40 hours in, I'm actually a bit burnt from it. The MMO like aspects of it are pushing me away and I'm pretty sure I'm on the final quest...it's hard to want to do all the side quests when I'm near the end. Besides that though it was enjoyable up till now and 40 hours is a good length!
  • BeardyDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dorian is epic lol. I may need to romance him.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just unlocked all 12 characters in Multiplayer. Now to start lvling them up and promoting em +.+
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    I've updated my artstation with some new DA skyhold shizzle shots. I've shopped them a little as frostbite wasn't playing nice with my monitor calibration. i.e it was completely ignoring it.

:)
  • BeardyDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! The art in this game is lovely.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Finished the game, 60 hours which was a nice length overall. I started to get really burnt out on the side quests, especially the skull runes which I think is a terrible mechanic and just padded it out.

Overall it was a great experience and I had minimal bugs save for one NPC falling through floor during a conversation, Sera turning into a giant and then the dragon I was fighting doubled itself in the sky and was taking up most of my screenspace hehe.

A good purchase. I look forward to the implications of the ending.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    bounchfx wrote: »
    Agreed, this game is just incredible. Make sure you guys actually do the first couple story missions to get some new party members.. I spent like 7 hours just in the hinterlands and honestly was getting a bit tired since it was so repetitive, before I realized I was only just clearing that out and not progressing any of the story. It gets so, so much better, especially after you get past the prologue/first act. The game is HUGE.

downsides would be:

the constant crashing. In my first ten hours I probably had 3 straight to desktop crashes and 6 hard locks, two in cutscenes and the rest in the war room. :(. I haven't had one in the last two hours though so that's good!

secondly would be the glossiness. The game confuses me, because lots of it is brilliant and beautiful, but then there's a LOT of materials that have white dots for spec, and it seems to me that someone added an extra digit to the end of the gloss value or something.. it's hard to imagine it's intentional. There's also quite a number of weapons and armors that look very poorly made.. it only really stands out because there's some fantastic stuff in there too and swapping between them can be very jarring. There's a lot of content though so I imagine time was short and sometimes this stuff can happen.

there's also a handful of just straight up baffling decisions. a lot seem like they can be patched but I'm not expecting anything. stuff like the tactical cam, the lock on cam, "valuables" containing research items (and being named valuables?? when it's just junk), and a bit more, but it's all smaller scale stuff, nothing that affects the game at large with exception of the tac cam. It's real easy to nitpick stuff like this because the rest of the game is of very high quality.

Overall, A+, easily a contender for RPG GOTY and I'm only 20 hours in so far... plus Divinity came out this year.

+1 . I ma just at that Hinterland parts. Man these side quests and constant crushing will kill me.

I hope game will be better when I can get to that 20+ hours :D

But you know... the first one ( Origins) is still the best one :D