Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Paskie
    Got much better results after adjusting the high poly. Hope to have it ready this week. Think i found the problem with the selfillumination also.

Loving those new options! And you don't have to search after your files between every step!

2kDql.jpg
  • walt
    so much nice items here!
    got my first humble item finally into the workshop, on the right spot :)
    Still need to work on the texture, but so happy that it finally worked that i thought i would share. Thank you guys for all the info in this thread!

bone_1.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    That looks really great, walt - you might want to think about adding some fabric or something for him to grip onto and also to break up the texture colours a bit.

Also, it kiiiiiind of looked like a giant penis as it was loading.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    That looks really great, walt - you might want to think about adding some fabric or something for him to grip onto and also to break up the texture colours a bit.

I like the item, just needs some more flair to it, its a bit plain at the moment. I don't mind that it looks very phallic, I need a way to showcase my power, and this is the perfect way! "LOOK AT IT GO!"
  • walt

Oh reaaaly? never noticed ;)

yeah i tried to add some fabric but never liked the way it looked, always distracted from the simplicity of the item, just a big bone. I might give it another try.
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    Well if you tried the fabric and it didn't work I'll trust your judgement, the bone itself looks ace and you've got some great colour variation happening within the bone itself regardless.
    I like the item, just needs some more flair to it, its a bit plain at the moment. I don't mind that it looks very phallic, I need a way to showcase my power, and this is the perfect way! "LOOK AT IT GO!"
    Haha I never said it was a bad thing ;D

For what it's worth, the first comment on my Lion Cloak was "Vagina".
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    So been looking at the changes in the test client, they're great, but apparently in order to test multiple files at once each item's .mdl file needs to be uploaded individually... but for some reason importing into the client doesn't appear to be creating a .mdl file... it only makes the .dmx and .qc files. Strange, I think it used to make .mdl files before this update.

Could someone verify this so that I know I'm not crazy? I'm looking in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 test\content\dota\models\items\ hero \ randomized# \ importfilename \

EDIT: Disregard this, found the actual directory with the .mdl is \Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 test\dota\models\items\hero\randomized#\ But I'm fairly certain that this folder doesn't show up though unless the pak files are extracted like we were already doing before?
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    finished the boar! ( i think )
    1OGD5

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=111405333

huge thanks to my friend Daniden for the critiques and all the guys that helped here in the forum =]
  • poodleswithguns
    Tvidotto, really like that boar now! Much improvements :D
    Also hunter, that sand king is so nice and clean and beautiful :3

Had a day off so I thought I would do some live streaming and make a mirana Item set from scratch.
    Blockout_01.jpg

i'd love to watch that stream if it got saved. whats the link?
  • 4evra
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    Guys,about a particle FX on items...
    Does every item supports the FX,or just some?
    If i understood it right,its doable on every item,but its prefferable on items that are below budzet,so that added particles don't cause more stress to the engine than a item with max poly count would.Right?

Speciffically,was wondering about wards and FX.They've got 1,5k budzet,so its neat,if u need to take away some polys for FX to not slow down the item proccesing,then wards would be an ideal item for FX to be used.

edit: just checked valve's new wards,they all got FX on them.Question still remains:Do they make a ward with 1,5k poly,then on top of it add a FX,or do they cut down a poly count a bit,so the FX wouldnt cause additional stress on rendering?
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra wrote: »
    Guys,about a particle FX on items...
    Does every item supports the FX,or just some?
    If i understood it right,its doable on every item,but its prefferable on items that are below budzet,so that added particles don't cause more stress to the engine than a item with max poly count would.Right?

Speciffically,was wondering about wards and FX.They've got 1,5k budzet,so its neat,if u need to take away some polys for FX to not slow down the item proccesing,then wards would be an ideal item for FX to be used.

edit: just checked valve's new wards,they all got FX on them.Question still remains:Do they make a ward with 1,5k poly,then on top of it add a FX,or do they cut down a poly count a bit,so the FX wouldnt cause additional stress on rendering?

Use all 1.5k for the ward, don't worry about using any for particle effects. Those are completely separate from the ward. The only problem is there is no way to test new particles or make your own particles yet, its all done on valves side.
  • vlad_the_implyer
  • AndrewHelenek
  • Paskie
    THIS IS THE BEST PATCH EVER! CK basemodel is now separated from his horse :) I hope we will get to make a badass mount for him now. Not that there is anything wrong with the one he has now, but i would love to try making one and see someone else in here give it a shot.

@vlad, great posts! Very informative. Will certainly be helpful for those starting out.

@Tvidotto, i would say that boar is finished. Good work!

@walt, awesome! But i agree with the others, some leather straps or something would make it look even better i think.

@Andrew, you can actually make particles in SFM particle editor and test those with your items too, but only in SFM.
    I can try someday if it's working again in the itemtest, they took away that a couple of months ago. But i was able to load edited particles before that in the itemtest.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    i'd love to watch that stream if it got saved. whats the link?

Should be here: http://www.twitch.tv/anuxinamoon/videos?kind=past_broadcasts

owlygoodness.jpg
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    Paskie wrote: »
    THIS IS THE BEST PATCH EVER! CK basemodel is now separated from his horse :) I hope we will get to make a badass mount for him now. Not that there is anything wrong with the one he has now, but i would love to try making one and see someone else in here give it a shot.

@vlad, great posts! Very informative. Will certainly be helpful for those starting out.

@Tvidotto, i would say that boar is finished. Good work!

@walt, awesome! But i agree with the others, some leather straps or something would make it look even better i think.

@Andrew, you can actually make particles in SFM particle editor and test those with your items too, but only in SFM.
    I can try someday if it's working again in the itemtest, they took away that a couple of months ago. But i was able to load edited particles before that in the itemtest.

We tried getting them working on our chicken courier but were unsuccessful, even though everything we did was correct, so I believe it's still not possible to load them in through the itemtest. But I know you can edit particles that already exist in the client, so if they are already present you can create new ones to replace those. Adding new ones where they were there previously is still not possible.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    @Tvidotto: That courier is looking awesome, great job! You did leave a little bit of green on the hairs, but it's not distracting.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments on my BH set! Didn't expect that much interest, for those that haven't seen it yet please vote or leave a message :)http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=120336817

Did some more work on my Slark concept, actually didn't wanted to make a shoulder piece, but I had an idea for using a turtle shell, from a Snapper turtle. Also added a handcuff, to give it more a prisoner look. Think I'm going to call the set something like "Fish Collector" wearing stuff from his enemies.

lMPgy.jpg
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    So, after some testing we've managed to figure out what's wrong with the additional wearables adding. New importer tool puts your mdls in \dota 2
    test\dota\models\items\ instead of \dota 2
    test\content\dota\models\items\ . You just need to navigate there, and you can use them in the new tool!

baconset.jpg
    This will probably be fixed/explained tomorrow, i think.

Also finished this
    no_bacon.jpg
  • zicoV
    Quick sketch for a slark item set. what do you think ? :)

slarksketch.jpg
  • walt
    just a bit of fooling around with another idea for a texture.
    will have to look at it again tomorrow, when i'm not this sleepy,
    but love to hear what u guys think..
    goodnight!

bone_2.jpg
  • nele_s
    Offline / Send Message
    nele_s polycounter lvl 10
    My new Lina set :)

Still need to fix the head part though, as you can prob see

lina_wip_zbrushNS3.jpglina_wip_zbrushNS4.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    nele-s wrote: »
    My new Lina set :)

Still need to fix the head part though, as you can prob see

lina_wip_zbrushNS3.jpglina_wip_zbrushNS4.jpg

really nice work there =]
  • nele_s
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    really nice work there =]
    I wanted it to be dragon themed, as I've always associated dragons with fire
    Hopefully the texturing & rigging will go a bit smoother with this set
  • Starcofski
    Well, I gotta thank Valve for adding portrait view; Showed me this little issue (which I cant think how I'll fix); His original teeth are showing. Anyone have any ideas how I can plausibly hide them?
    7rf1S.png
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Helped out another workshoper and in the process managed to go completely overboard and made this.

pudge_hacker_weapon04.jpg

I have also had a bunch of "how to" requests after the tenderizer made it into the latest chest (yay), and am considering following this up with a tutorial centered around the above item i can forward people onto.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    nele-s wrote: »
    I wanted it to be dragon themed, as I've always associated dragons with fire
    Hopefully the texturing & rigging will go a bit smoother with this set

you would probably want to flip her hair, so that that fringey part in on the other side to match the bones they have there :D

Overall the design looks a little too busy for my tastes, but thats just me :p, as long as you keep those rest areas it should turn out well :)
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    @Vlad: looking great, how the hell do you finish those models that quick?
    Maybe I'm always overthinking everything :p

@Nele: Looking really nice, but like Anuxi said it's really busy and you won't see halve the detail from a distance. I'm not liking the belt on the bottom part though..

My courier is on a hold for now, because I want to finish one of the first sets for a hero this time, so I won't be limited to ideas because other ppl allready made it.

So I did some more work on Slark, never played with him before, but because I'm modeling parts for him I started playing Slark. It's not an easy hero to play with, but a lot of fun when it's going well :)

Finished blocking out all body parts, hope to finish the sword concept today. I would really appreciate some feedback guys :)

2pVBB.jpg
  • nele_s
    Offline / Send Message
    you would probably want to flip her hair, so that that fringey part in on the other side to match the bones they have there :D

Overall the design looks a little too busy for my tastes, but thats just me :p, as long as you keep those rest areas it should turn out well :)

thanks for the feedback
    i know its detailed, but this is also a portfolio piece for me, so I kindof went all out on the sculpt
    I havent looked at the rig yet... but I should soon, the skinning bit is a nightmare :/
    what do you mean with 'rest areas'?

Andyk125 I agree with you on the belt now :/ i thought i'd be a nice add-on, but it doesn't really add to the value... makes it a bit busy and takes away the attention from other stuff. i'll try and make it less busy :)
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    @Vlad: looking great, how the hell do you finish those models that quick?
    Maybe I'm always overthinking everything :p
    I personally think that simple, clean designs are the best. So a) don't overthink it b) plan ahead. Good topology will save you a lifetime.
    Speaking of new models and interesting designs, we finished this.
    268x268.resizedimage
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Last update for today :) Added a harpoon in the armor and a sword.
    The sword has two blades with a seahorse as grip, it's a high quality blade which he stole befor he went to prison..

WXegv.jpg
  • Futashia
    Hey guys! I'm thinking about going ahead with this design for modelling (bottom right)
    Was hoping for some last minute critiques/comments though, would be helpful thanks!
    pLw0i.jpg?1
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Futashia wrote: »
    Hey guys! I'm thinking about going ahead with this design for modelling (bottom right)
    Was hoping for some last minute critiques/comments though, would be helpful thanks!
    pLw0i.jpg?1

really like the design and shading of the blade

there is a sven sword with blue details that turn red when he uses it ult, would look nice on yours too =]
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    I like swrod 3 and 4 the best :D Wicked nice concept!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd love to have a friendly competition, say we all pick one hero (like the new centaur warrunner) and we all design a set and make it.
    Could be fun with 3 or 4 people :)
  • walt
    i like sword nr 3 the most.

Andyk125, make sure you don't change his silhouette too much, atleast that's what i've been told a while ago.

Any thoughts on the witch doctor bone texture on the previous page..
    Can't make up my mind.
  • Kamaki
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamaki polycounter lvl 6
    there is 2 clients, the dota beta and the dota test

the suggestion to use the dota test is to not mess with the main client and get VAC banned =]

was that your doubt?

Sorry or taking so long to reply to your speedy response! It was something to do with copying files from Main Client to Dota Test; but it's ok now as the latest patch lets you test multiple items at the same time, and that's all I really wanted to do.

Actually I was wondering if anyone wanted to team up with me, or offer suggestions. I've been working on this anti-mage as a monk set, but I feel like I've lost my way with this one. Is this even worth pursuing?

20qWnMH.jpg
    VbOouzX.jpg

Honestly I can't texture at all, the only good items I've made have been textured by other people. Anyone see potential in this? Want to help by texturing?
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd love to have a friendly competition, say we all pick one hero (like the new centaur warrunner) and we all design a set and make it.

great idea Anuxi

can i participate with a courier? =]

btw, we need normal deadlines, i know that you can make an entire set in 2 hours, but we need a least couple weeks =]
  • Futashia
    Tvidotto, you should turn your workshop into some sort of dota ranch, nothing but animals and creatures in your workshop!!! lolol
  • Paskie
    Yey! I'm done with the Powerglove for Lion. Had a blast doing this, thinking of doing some more for Lion, may end up in a set. Have some ideas with the same theme.
    Critique is always welcome!
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=121254640

150928B3418000FA4ABFA804A2004B241513D9A9
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message

I'm all for this :)

Centaur sounds like a good hero to pick, too.
    I'm sure you'll find some way to make him beautiful, Anuxi, haha.
  • RoqueDemon
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon polycounter lvl 6

I'm in. Maybe this will make me actually finish a set xD
  • I-ninja
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5

I'm game if someone can do my coloring (Uvs and, texture mapping is my weakness)
    So I gave every hero a number and rolled 1-71 and got 23=huskar

Edit: ah too late #5
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahah I dunno if I will have time to do the first couple, but one a month would be cool. Like this month we do Slark, next month we do like rubick or soemthing. Heroes without many item sets would be cool.

We could make it go for a month? or two? Two seems a bit excessive though :<

Finally finished the higpoly x_______X
    HighDone.jpg
  • I-ninja
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone want to help a Ninja out, and do the textures to my lina set? (UVs are done and 25% of the money is yours if it gets in)
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    That sets looking shit hot Anuxinamoon, and id be up for a bit of a monthly dota 2 brawl.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Futashia wrote: »
    Tvidotto, you should turn your workshop into some sort of dota ranch, nothing but animals and creatures in your workshop!!! lolol

yay!

@anuxi

one month is more then enough

that is a great idea and im totaly in!

i can do a courier based on the hero theme =]]]

so, when we can start? today? tomorrow? we need to define a hero

some guys started slarks sets on the forum, we could follow them, what you guys think?
  • poodleswithguns
    yay!

@anuxi

one month is more then enough

that is a great idea and im totaly in!

i can do a courier based on the hero theme =]]]

so, when we can start? today? tomorrow? we need to define a hero

some guys started slarks sets on the forum, we could follow them, what you guys think?

Anyone sorta wish their was a way to get a poll going in a thread after the thread had been created.

that way everybody could vote on the hero for the month.
  • I-ninja
    Offline / Send Message
    characterstripslark.jpg
    If we are doing slark here you go a nice character sheet
  • Jalcober
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Tvidotto I added you on steam, I have a ward that needs animating :3
  • Some Jerk
    I'd personally rather see you guys do a bunch of keeper of the light sets. But that's just me. But yeah, slark probably is best choice for the contest, as he is the most popular of the recently workshop enabled heroes.