Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Goblin Scupt - Crits Appreciated

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Urzaz polycounter lvl 6
Started doodling a goblin head from a sphere and decided I liked him enough that I'd dynamesh him out a nice body. I'm going to see how much I can learn from him.

His body is super rough right now, trying to get shape and weight right.

As for goblin apparel-- I'm going to give him something, I'd like something that lets me learn some applicable character clothing techniques at the same time. Any thoughts?

HNFMn3Z.jpg

qjrraDW.jpg

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I recommend drawing out the concept first before tumbling into sculpting. Know what you're doing before your do it so your 3D isn't wasted time.
  • Urzaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urzaz polycounter lvl 6
    In general I definitely agree with you. Since this guy started as a doodle he's continuing that way, at least for now. If I get to clothing I'll definitely sketch up some variations.

I think I have a pretty good idea of how I want him. Bony, wiry musculature with a disproportionate head. The head is something a concept definitely would have helped, though, especially since the body was dynameshed out. I kind of had to guess. Should still be adjustable?

Added some rough goblin hands.

MfApLf6.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Drop your subdivisions to a lower level, you're not helping yourself too much by dealing witha high res dynamesh sculpt. Need to fess out and nail the bigger forms first.

Also, use a different mat, a gray clay. There's weird lighting going on with this one, it doesn't help us or probably yourself. It looks cool, but it's not hlpeful for accurate shading.
  • TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    What JadeEyePanda is saying here is true. Sketch out your own concept first or take a look at other goblins from various movies/games. Having an idea of what you are going to sculpt helps a lot. That way you are finding forms through sculpting as opposed to blindly going at them.