Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Sisters of Battle Bust

Hello polycounters!

Recently I've been wanting to reboot an unfinished project that I think deserves a second chance. I want to do a posed bust of a Sister of Battle from the Warhammer 40k universe.

I'm thinking of having it be from the waist up with her holding a bolter, but I'm open to ideas.

I also want to use this as a chance to play around with keyshot and possibly substance as well.

Here's some of the ref I've gathered to give you an idea what I'm going for. Any other reference anyone might have would be appreciated too as there is a lack of decent images on the web for this.

WzIUys2.jpg

And this is what I have so far...
1gGgLNu.png

Would love some feedback on the face as well as tips on how to proceed forward. I think that my next step will be to block out the rest of her and start getting that figured out.

Thanks for giving my thread a look. Happy modeling!

Replies

• Hofsta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a bit more progress. Spent some time tweaking the face, gave her some quick eyelashes and slapped a rough poly paint on to get a better feel for the character.

Not sure I'm happy with it yet, but I really need to get away from the head and move onto the other parts.

I'm also trying to decide how I should tackle the hair, so suggestions on that front would be really helpful.

OzIJg1p.png

Thanks for checking me out. More updates coming soon!
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    That's looking real nice man, looking forward to the rest :D
  • TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    That is really sick! Can't wait for the armor. This is gonna be awesome.
  • Hofsta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been jumping around between a lot of different projects lately. Got some time to block in some of the armor these past few days.

Here's some rough progress! Crits and feedback welcome.

TQNuswx.png
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Looking solid!
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    So rad! Love her expression, especially the lips. :)
  • Hofsta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. I know I haven't posted in here for a while. I've been poking away at this but I haven't felt like I had anything worthy of an update for a while.

I feel like I've been spinning my tires with this one and progress has been frustrating. At this point I think I've taken as many steps backwards as I have forwards. I'm not really sure what I want to do with this piece anymore or how I should do it even, but I am determined to finish it!

I've done some work to the face, mainly tweaked the shape of the nose and eyes and re-did the scars. Let me know what you think of the changes.
    6LwU5hs.png

I've also been continuing to block in some of the armor and replace it with cleaner geo. I've taken a couple stabs at detailing some of it, but It hasn't really looked that great. And advice on doing ornate filigree and that sort of stuff for armor would be a huge help.
    qtN28dC.png
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    I like the new scar/burn. The new nose shape is better I think. I'm not a huge fan of the way her skin gathers on her right side of the face below her cheek. It's harsher than what you had before. It ages her and makes her look less feminine. If you're going for an older, more rugged warrior woman, then don't mind me.

Also, love the new hair. What was your method for creating it?
  • Hofsta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not 100% happy with the face right now either, but I do think that I want a more hardened stern face. I felt that the original was too feminine and rounded for a sister of battle.

for the hair I essentially used steve james' technique with a custom curve
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLoL19_0nDQ[/ame]
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    wow this is epic! it makes me want to dabble in character art lol!
  • Nekhro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nekhro polycounter lvl 5
    Loving the character! Would love to see how the hair is built.
    The tattoo/oranament on her cheek is too black.
  • Jcools
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the amount of personality in just her face! I agree the tattoo is too sharp and looks tacked on atm. For how large and loose the fabric is on her upper arms, It does not look like it would wrinkle and fold in the manner that it does. Like fans are being blown up into it.