Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

"Yggdrasil Surroundings" Environment

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys,this project started on my 2d sketchbook thread but I decided to bring it over here to avoid offtopic in there by putting 3d stuff.

What is this about: I never created an environment (just a shy attempt long ago resoulting in only an empty map and a sky),never created a next gen ready character,never rigged or animated stuff,never did threes or water,monsters or vehicles,particle effects or level design and so on, Yet I want to be a generalist able to follow a project starting with a concept until the end resoult, and therefore I need this project to unify it all and to be "my sandbox" fo every one of this things.
So the point here is not to create the "final awesome environment",the focus here is me learning and improving while building it piece by piece,for instance if I'll start doing simple foliage then I'll have the base to build a three and after some threes I will know enough about it to build a convincing Yggdrasil, or after I'll learn about water I could make a pond and put a carp in there to study the first simple animation,moving then to a running squirrel and finally to a convincing character.
So,this is totally beyond my current skill,but as a friend said "always better to aim high" :)

About the place: We are in a village somewhere on the side of a volcano, 1 km from the ground level, the Yggdrasil is in the plain below,roughly 2 - 2,3km away from us,its radius on the base is of 1,5 km (though the roots span further) and the height,foliage included is of 6km...the distances doesn't properly show in the current blockout for lack of scale elements,so that's why all the numbers,also stuff may change since this is only from the current blockout :)
The mountain village lead to a famous dungeon floating on top of the volcano,so lot of strong adventurer passing by there and that place need to be overall pretty lively.
The mountain village can be reached trough walk or airship,and to go from the village to the plain below there is actually a very long rope wit a 35° inclination connecting the places but you can use it only to "slide" down.
The mountain village will be shrouded in snow and autumn like colors I think,while the plain below (all around Yggdrasil) will be spring.

So the day before yesterday I started putting together my "map" concept (which is not finished) image below,not sure if is all in my head or if other people can read in it what's going on as well :poly136: anyway,is enough to give me the direction to work on.

3LOFP2B.png

Yesterday I builted a very basic human placeholder for scale reference (1,80cm) and imported into UE,image below
1qkZ6PK.png

and started blocking out more volumes,like the placeholder for the three wich I probably improve since this current placeholder is just a basic cylinder,image below
jxL1Jp7.jpg

So the plan for today is to get more placeholders done,probably I'll go for a placeholder for the plain in worldmachine.
Also I plan on refining a precise area of the village that could be used as "completed piece" (the erea in the front you can currently see) and reference for the direction of all the other stuff.

So with so much stuff going on that I don't know how to do someone (or many) could be suggesting me to start with something simpler...don't do it. :) I think I'm well beyond the point where I used to get frustrated and drop the project,as for now time doesn't matter,if I work on this even only 1 hour a day is a win anyway :)

Also I will totally need your guys help figuring out stuff I don't know from Unreal Engine,so counting on you as well :poly124::):thumbup:

Replies

• Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,I already have some questions,I'll make sure to read in the UE documentation as well but I'll also ask here,just in case :)

So,how much is the standard UE FoV? Is just me or is kind of high? :poly122: I saw a tutorial about lowering the FoV so probably I'll follow that,just wanted to know if you guys usually do it as well.

Regarding the landscape,is it possible to create multiple landscapes in the same level? That would help me in handling the plain and mountain area land separated from the area of mountain where the "mountain village" is in. Also since the lower plain will be something like 6,5 km(lenght) x 3,5km (width) do you guys have any suggestion from the technical side that could save me from possible troubles? I guess obvsiously I'll have to check into LoD working and setting,but probably there are also a lot of pitfalls I'm not yet aware of,so if you know ANYTHING that can help me,please let me know! :)
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very poor quality video,but it should give an idea of the size.
    I replaced the Yggdrasil placeholder whit a slightly better one,also all night watching worldmachine tutorials and still more to watch,next step is to nail the terrain placeholder
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTsO5RjXO24[/ame]

Since is a tree of life I'm considering water gushing forth from it,maybe the roots bring huge quantities of water to the top and multiply it since the tree itself is magic,so...huge fountain? Waterfalls coming down from the top? It's a possibility :)
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent last day watching videotutorials so now I have a slightly better understanding of things,improved the Yggdrasil placeholder and sculpted the base for the terrain I'll use in worldmachine,is kind of like a "footprint" of the tree,so I will try to push for an effect of the earth torn apart where the roots of the tree enter the ground.
    Doesn't seems like very noticeable in the sculpt but this is because of the roughly 6km tree,therefore a single root has something like 100-200m diameter and I can't push for crazy slopes where the player has to walk :S

Anyway,I think I'll spend another day watching more worldmachine tutorial before jumping in it :P

IUdTGDR.png

Quick question: Normal maps from 3ds max or Xnormal need any kind of tweak before going into UE4? Because my placeholder may have fucked up normals,not sure...not that matters since those are placeholder,but... :poly122:
  • GravityBwlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GravityBwlast interpolator
    Hey. Really cool concept.

Unreal uses normal maps with green channel flipped.
    (You just have to flip it in photoshop, or you can also go in baking options in xNormal and change Y+ to Y-)
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    Great to see you using the concept that you did and turn it into 3d ; this is going to be awesome :)
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the vote of confidence ayoub :)
    Every other concept that will come after that is going straight into this world,everything I will do will be part of the same single project therefore no matter if it takes even years,I'm seriously going to stick to one project and to make this awesome! :):thumbup:
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just started with worldmachine,still early stage but the footprint of the tree is visible,before I go forther inside the program I have a question to ask :

do you guys know how to have the "tiles" of terrain that continue beyond my "working area" matching with my terrain? Because since I started by importing my heightmap, in the Explorer View there is a clean cut between my 14km area and the rest of the world,and I would like to have it blending better... :poly141:

1UNnqLi.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Improved a bit the terrain over the last update,didn't builted yet the shape for the tall mountains or the whole plain,I'm more focused on getting some interesting colors in place,any feedback is welcome :)

Also the question in the last reply is still up :poly124:

TVnuDcG.jpg
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more changes on the terrain,I still have to work and fix the plain and I'm still more focused on the color I want,what do you think of the current colors on the right? I lost the fake forest in the process.

Also,and this is the important question: make sense to get the proper color now or I should just take the heightmap and then the coloring is done trough materials inside UE4? This stupid doubts are slowing me down xD

P6vMEGt.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tonight I got carried away and ended up watching 40 out of 190 videos from "All UE4 tutorials" playlist from Unreal Engine youtube channel xD
    But now I'm back on focus and reading all the official documentation about Landscape,if you have any "outside" tutorials related to the subject please link it to me,I need to download all the information that are scattered around into my brain as quickly as possible :):thumbup: