Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Male Character Model

Though i'm sure you've seen many of these by now, I wanted to show of (and ask for advice on) the character model that i've spent the past few weeks making. The reason for it's creation is mostly because of my university module, but the main reason I wanted to get into modelling was in order to create character models. (Apologies about the image size, I tried to shrink them a little but it didn't seem to be work)

Here are the reference images I have used:
ArnoldCensored1_zps6f41c990.jpgArnoldCensored2_zpse4669601.jpgArnoldCensored3_zps4d602f62.jpg

And the renders (currently using the 3DS Max render technology):

TextureRender1_zps8f4116d0.jpg
TextureRender2_zps8a92214c.jpg
TextureRender3_zps523799a1.jpg

Sadly the skin tones don't quite match up with the reference materials just yet, the hair texture is quite poor (though this was more of a test than a finished texture) and the face is a bit goofy, but I wanted to share it's current state with you all. Please feel free to leave any feedback and advice you can think of. Thank you! :D

Replies

• North
    Offline / Send Message
    North polycounter lvl 7
    I think step one would be actually bringing the reference planes into your 3d software so you can model off of it. Im sure youre aware of this but right now your model looks nothing like your ref
  • Linkell
    Thanks for the advice. To be honest, i'm quite ashamed that I hadn't thought to use reference planes to judge it. I'd even used them for the base mesh. You were dead right though, was pretty far off the reference so I've had a mess around with the head and redid the texture.

HeadNoTexture_zps2099add8.jpg

Hair matches the reference a lot better, the head was also too thin, the nose not quite long enough (as well as the wrong shape) and the eye shape was pretty poor.

Body_zpsc09dcbd9.jpg

Heres the new texture on the body. It seems to work better then the old one from my perspective, though there are a couple of seam issues that I need to sort. The head however...

HeadTexture_zpsd542904d.jpg

I can't quite seem to get the heads texture right, might just need a bit of reworking, but I could also be going about it the complete wrong way. I'm not too sure. If anyone could shed some light on these it would be much appreciated. Thank you.