Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly CHARACTER Challenge | February 2015 | Warrior

Replies

• Mouche
    Oh nice!! The metal, scratches, and flaking paint came out great -- I'm gonna have to try that out.

I'll be keeping an eye out for everyone's finished piece!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    @klown Will his knees bend/deform ok with decimated mesh ??
    Owwwww, nice work with the Substance there !! I seriously have to learn it for real now. I'm getting tired of Quixel taking 10-30 seconds to load after every click I make.
  • klown
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks Mouche!

@PyrZern
    I beleive there is enough verts for the knee to smoothly bend to make up for the lack of cleaner topo lines that would normally be there (hopefully :P)

I have tried Quixel a few times and found the same issue, Painter seemed to give me a better looking result, much quicker so it looks like its all Painter/Designer for a while.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    @klown: I think ZRemesher will give you a much cleaner result for the pants and fur.
  • klown
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 11
    @klown: I think ZRemesher will give you a much cleaner result for the pants and fur.

ZRemesher gave cleaner results for the big soft areas but went to shit around the belt tabs and smaller detailed/edge areas. Sure I could have cleaned it up but that would have taken much longer than the 30 mins or so it took to make the above. I wanted to get his LP done fast, get him textured and finished in a relatively quick timeframe, this way was the best result in the quickest time :)
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    For a static object, such as a statue, it would work for sure! However, if you had to rig this, I think you would lose all the time saved working with such messy geometry. I also think the deformations would be problematic.
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Offline / Send Message
    kay-vonlanthen polycounter lvl 7
    you could start aprils for poeple who want to do something?
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    If we do the one Master thread, how do we pick/vote what to do next ? I do not trust myself to picking good concept. (I'm new to 3D, remember ?) Anyone want to take this duty off my hands :P ?
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Offline / Send Message
    @jarsef are you motivated to do this at least for this year? being here and care about the thread? someone from sony online suggested a while back to not do a whole character. i think thats true. maybe 2 weeks for a bust. just a bust. thats enough. or maybe 1 month for a bust, retopoed and with textures. i would be for this. we had 1 month for a whole char, that didnt really work for all. now we have 2 months and still i dont see enough poeple posting and follow through. its hard. we should start simple. quality ad speed comes with time :)
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Offline / Send Message
    jarsef wrote: »
    @kay-vonlanthen
    I'm completely committed, and agree that this challenge will definitely need some thought to turn it in to what it really should be.

I agree that a month isn't enough to realistically complete a character for everyone, unless you're able to treat it as a full-time job.

The idea would be to make the thread "timeless" (like the hard-surface challenge), allowing people to follow the challenges at their own pace, regardless of what month it is. The first year would set the pace for the challenge, and we'll definitely have to modify it/adapt it as needed.

In the end, the purpose of doing these challenges should be to push yourself, and to grow as a character artist; while learning to provide and receive valuable critic

sounds great. people will dig it.
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    sounds absolutely great!
  • chrisjngs
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisjngs polycounter lvl 2
    I have finally found the time to finish this guy up. His final poly count is 15K polys, using 4 2K shaders. I've got albedo, gloss, specular, fuzz, AO, and cavity.

RaGtre7.jpg
    6wyf2kz.jpg
    G3v70hy.png

here's a turntable that I made of the posed character.
    https://youtu.be/g8B_K0zoVFU
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
    Hi guys,sorry for the necro of this topic,I had dropped from the contest but now I decided to finish it. It's ok if I post here,or I should open a new topic?

I'm starting to dress the guy,below my shitty sketch for the boots :poly136: and the base mesh from 3ds max,details from Zbrush will come later when I have all the pieces into position. Any crit or suggestion is welcome

VJKbVRM.png
    ht2w7rB.png
  • darkmag07
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    I don't see any reason not to continue in this thread. Nice boots!
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx darkmag07 :)

So the image below is my poor attempt at an overpaint on the naked model, it will serves me as reminder for the direction,I think I'll figure the rest out while doing the 3d version

Guys how should I go about having the drapery in place while having the surface details (those geometric kind of drawings) on it deforming properly follwing the folds?

D5DVRwV.png
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Offline / Send Message
    .....and so the thread died in peace.......
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    lol,not yet.

I had made another overpaint (image below) but I wasn't showing because I wanted something better to show,meaning the 3d model xD
    Anyway,it will die when my character is done :)

g9XR8bs.png
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the details. :P

My weakness is I tend to skip fine details without realizing it. Then I find the finished model plain and bland afterward :(
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad you like it :)
    PyrZern wrote: »
    My weakness is I tend to skip fine details without realizing it. Then I find the finished model plain and bland afterward :(

But you do actually get to a finished model,and that's the strongest point,there is always time to practice details :):thumbup:

Starting now to sketch things inside Zbrush,kind of going "cautious" since I always did hardsurface inside 3ds max,so this is different,but is also more fun. Since grooveshark closed I am without a playlist,do you guys know any site like that?! :poly122:

For the knee protection I was thinking something flowery like (to keep the sword theme) so a rose with leafs/petals all around,the sketch isn't fully done yet but I'll show anyway

QMaLejC.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    Going this direction
    The underlaying padding is something like leather,the flower like stuff is all metal,the border too probably will be metal

8avnCoY.png
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Manly men wear flowers. Heck yeah.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    His manlyness could potentially intimidate civilians and opponents,so he have to take it down a notch somehow... xD
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that I've finished the butcher knife on the other topic,I'm back on him,dynameshing some more stuff around and making more basemesh in max to asses the overall character...also not a big fan of the glove running on the whole arm,so I'll be changing that too :P

sVtzEDn.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more overpaint on the last img to better understand where I'm going,and well...ignore the face,in there I was just fucking around xD

5k9lt37.png
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    i like the final aim :)
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    sketching the shoulder protection,something like a nymph and a tree,though for the next pass I'll use female reference because I fail to make her attractive going from imagination >_< And also she will have hairs later xD

post-35445-0-92172800-1432828535.png
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    BEWBS!:poly136: (NSFW) http://i.imgur.com/g55OHS9.png

Fucking around aside,I think I'm in the right direction for the piece,though this imply I have to do again the knee protection. Still a sketch,but I think I'm starting to understand the importance of having pieces that graphically reads well from distance,so I enlarged the protection and the girl inside.
    Also I feel a bit like I'm working the retard way,because if I place the shoulder protection on it's final position for preview I break the simmetry,so every time I need a preview I need to move it into position and then load the old save to keep working it :poly122: :poly141:

Also don't want to bother all the people subscribed here since I work slow and update a lot,so I think from the next reply I will be moving on my own thread,and be back here only with the finished piece :)

post-35445-0-94126000-1432960576.png
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's fine to keep posting here. People can unsub if they're bothered. But that's up to you I guess.

Really digging the direction you are going with this :)
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    I think it's fine to keep posting here. People can unsub if they're bothered. But that's up to you I guess.

Really digging the direction you are going with this :)

You're right PyrZern,I'll keep posting here then :poly136:

Last days I was struggling a bit trying to fix parts of the anatomy I didn't liked (I don't really want to dress up a wrong anatomy) and I kind of failed in that,thing is I would like to have the ability to recognise by eye what's wrong in it and fix it,without having to 100% rely on overlapping a reference,so I decided I need to study it more and understand it better,and the best way for me to do so is trough drawing...so I'll be back in the 2d section for a bit :)