Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Diablo 2 Amazon. (diorama scene)

[sketchfab]d8448e2264e948fb8916bcb83db45cac[/sketchfab]
Amazon from Diablo 2 by HongZhihao on Sketchfab

Hello everyone, am sharing my latest work here.
Decided to model this for the 15th anniversary of Diablo 2,

I try to keep a simplified style, going some where between the WoW and old Diablo 2 look, and not give it too much of a next gen feel, hope i succeeded.
(Spin the model around, Diablo himself makes an appearance :D)

crits are welcome, so are compliments :) Will take note for my next model

Will also post some toolbag renders and wip screens later

Thanks for viewing!

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey man, I think its really cool however I don't feel you really painted enough into the textures honestly. It looks a lot like an initial blockout of the major shapes, without out actually defining the materials in the diffuse. So I think you could have painted in a lot more shadow/value and also hint at specular highlights and stuff. I see you have a specular map, but I'm guessing its really flat as I see the specular shining in whats supposed to be reassessed black areas. This makes dark areas in your texture sorta glow at certain angles and therefore doesn't read well. Even small details like hitting the leather straps with a highlight on the edges or adding some chips and scratches on the metal I think would go a long way. Overall I think its really good, I would just give it a lot more love in terms of texture before calling it done.
  • cghow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Brad,
    Thanks for your comments! Really appreciate it!
    I agree with you, I do have a painted spec map, I'll need to work on my spec/gloss map techniques.
    I do mostly painted textures at work and as a result I lack the know how of painting textures that take normal/spec/gloss etc into account.
    you are right, maybe I should have worked on it some more.
  • cghow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a shot of the WIP:
    11260725_913346108688254_1151791751786134988_o.jpg
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    The model is nice, texture needs a bit of work as already said ^^. Got a few suggestions if you want to improve the overall scene :

- maybe add a torch on one wall, and put a cold light coming from the opposite direction to better highlight the scene. Ambiance and lighting is really important, and for this you should refer to D3 more than D2, which had a really neutral lighting.
    - add some props here and there, crates, barrels, cobwebs maybe, blood splatter, simple stuff.
    - the stones don't look really good imo, it's distracting. I guess you're focusing on characters, but if you're going to do a diorama with an environment, it shouldn't drag the whole quality down. Maybe just look in Diablo 3 and try reproducing some dungeon walls ? Adding metal and wood could also be a nice touch, in D3 they often mix the materials instead of just doing everything in stone.
    - the wall is too big, too wide, compared to the character, which should be the focus of the scene. You could easily cut half of it.

It could really be a good portfolio piece, but currently it doesn't seem finished at all ^^.

Keep it up.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Really great comments from everyone, I would also suggest tightening up everything, literary.
    make all the assets closer to each other and maybe scale them down. Texelion mentioned this too, having all that wide space makes it not only look unfinished but also empty and uninteresting, which is a shame.

a diorama shout be small and packed with stuff in my opinion.
    take a look at this example from Tits, a fellow polycounter:
    HZ4frVl.jpg
  • cghow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion:
    Wow that's really helpful stuff! I shall keep that in mind.
    I agree that it looks empty and has very bad composition, probably the reason why i never managed to get any nice shots no matter from which angle.
    I did try to do a little bit of cool lighting coming from the opposite direction, but it seems the main light just overpowered it, my other solution seems to be baking the lighting onto the texture. I should do some more testing in my next piece of work.

lotet: thanks! I agree. Great advice too! The scaling seems like it is way off. Now that everyone mentions it, I actually do see it and it really is jarring. haha.

Thanks for all the compliments and criticisms guys, please keep them coming!
  • cghow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Btw here's another render:11270400_920799447942920_78580025977707402_o.jpg
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Well you can always replace the backlight with some rim light/fresnel in the shader maybe ? I'm not used to toolbag 2 yet, just bought it last week.

Lighting is always hard.