Home General Discussion

Autodesk Maya 2016

Replies

• CreativeHD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    I have the same problem and it's installed on an ssd. It's also very slow to open the explorer when looking for textures in Maya.
  • fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Does that work in 2015 as well?

Edit: Wow, that actually made a huge difference. Thanks.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    we got a lot of issues lately opening up maya 2016 files in 2014, some times the files end up completely empty. considering this worked before, what got changed, that simple geometry without anything fancy fails to open up?
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    if the history is frozen it should work... i think it has something to do with unsupported modeling nodes...
  • moeptier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moeptier polycounter lvl 7
    fade1 wrote: »

For me that says "that page doesn't exist" :(
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    oglu wrote: »
    if the history is frozen it should work... i think it has something to do with unsupported modeling nodes...

nope sadly not :(

we don't use any modelling nodes on these, just mesh and texture applied and assets put in layers

sometimes the layer disappear, sometimes the materials, sometimes the meshes, sometimes combinations and sometimes all of it alltogether. It is horrible.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    When i save a maya file for example a lowpoly, and i want to merge it to another file, the normals and hard edges get reset , even on the native .ma format...it makes no sense and makes the task of merging something ( btw there is no merging button , just import ) super stressfull...

Also transfer maps is still super slow...i bake a 4k color map in max in less than 30 seconds with full AA , in maya takes around 30 to 40 mins , what is the logic on that...makes it extremely time wasting , and all clients i work with use transfer maps as their main baking way...
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    When i save a maya file for example a lowpoly, and i want to merge it to another file, the normals and hard edges get reset , even on the native .ma format...it makes no sense and makes the task of merging something ( btw there is no merging button , just import ) super stressfull...

I'd like to know how to get around this as well... have you tried the 'Lock Normals' function before merging to another scene?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Torch wrote: »
    I'd like to know how to get around this as well... have you tried the 'Lock Normals' function before merging to another scene?

no client ever accepts locked normals, once we unlock it all gets screwed up again
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Neox wrote: »
    nope sadly not :(

we don't use any modelling nodes on these, just mesh and texture applied and assets put in layers

sometimes the layer disappear, sometimes the materials, sometimes the meshes, sometimes combinations and sometimes all of it alltogether. It is horrible.

thats why we allways use the same version as the ckient...
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    fade1 wrote: »

What did it say !??
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    thats why we allways use the same version as the ckient...

We do too, but not every freelancer does. Right now its almost easier to get files from max, blender or modo into 2014 than from maya 2016. which is just bollocks
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    PyrZern wrote: »
    What did it say !??

i havnt read this tweet...
    but turning off the xgen, bifrost and alembic plugin does help...
  • Bellsey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bellsey polycounter lvl 8
    The slow shutdown is something I noticed as well, and one thing I found that had a massive impact was the Autodesk Customer Involvement Program - CIP

The issue is that the CIP invokes a TCP connection to the web during Mayas shutdown that does not time out quickly if there is no internet access, or you have a closed network. You can turn this off via the help menu, and/or via the env variables.

Will see if I can do a video to show.

In terms of starting up, I've always found the Bullet plugin to be troublesome. Turning that off make a difference for me, but I would also disable any others that you're very unlikely to use.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Shutting down Maya is down to 1-2 seconds now using that trick, which is nice. I have disabled pretty much all plugins I don't use, so startup is alright. But in terms of shutdown I still wish it was instant like Modo, but I guess Maya is just too bloated for that to be possible.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    What did it say !??

Put this in your Maya.env for a slight boost, it disables user feedback.

MAYA_DISABLE_CIP=1
    MAYA_DISABLE_CER=1
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolayamit polycounter lvl 13
    does anybody know where is the old sculpt tool in maya, when i click sculpt tool the mudbox type tool opens up.
  • antweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    its here (Press F2):
    Surfaces->Sculpt Geometry Tool
    I found out, that its still usefull, because the relax works better on lowrez meshes.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you antweiler. Exactly, the older tool has better relax :).
    antweiler wrote: »
    its here (Press F2):
    Surfaces->Sculpt Geometry Tool
    I found out, that its still usefull, because the relax works better on lowrez meshes.
  • Grebslam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been having a really annoying issue with Maya 2016 SP2, can't find any information about it online.

Every time I create more than one motion trail on the control rig of this model, then attempt to move one of the rig's trail keyframe positions, the program freezes without error almost immediately and is unrecoverable.

This is the model I was using, if it matters.

Any ideas?

Thanks
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    i assume you are moving the key in the curve editor..?
    some other people have also troubles with animation + curve editor in SP2...

report the bug and hope for help... :D
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    interested if sp4 released recently fixes any issues others have been having? Fixes sound familiar.. Hypershade issues.. normals frag on import...

http://download.autodesk.com/us/support/files/maya_2016/Maya_2016_EXT1_SP4_Readme_enu.htm
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    i assume you are moving the key in the curve editor..?
    some other people have also troubles with animation + curve editor in SP2...

report the bug and hope for help... :D

wondering if: MAYA-60152
    MFnAnim::addKeys no longer crashes when creating curves from API

possibly addresses the issue?
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigErn polycounter lvl 11
    What the heck is wrong with 2016! FFS, they just about broke everything which worked really well ! Extrude they broke, ok I can live with. What happened to the ability to tweak verts etc without having to select every single one of them? Like in this gif I found to illustrate the issue.?ApFr51t.gif

They also broke target weld, when it worked REALLY well in 2015!? now it rarely can even weld to the closest vertex. I cannot really understand the logic of this 'progress'

anyone know how to get at least the tweak functionality back? :poly122::(
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    BigErn, for tweak, make sure you have "Click drag select' checked in your selection preferences?
    Haven't noticed any changes with the Target Weld, seems to work as usual.
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Bal, I have tried with and without 'Click Drag Select' but nothing changes, are there specific settings for the toolkit? I have worked with NEX before it and had no problems in 5 years or more until this release. Target weld just refuses to weld verts close to eachother, had it with numerous meshes already just today. I`ll keep trying to get the tweak function to work.
  • King Mango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    King Mango polycounter lvl 10
    Bevel is still mostly only a basic option. On complex shapes there are so many unpredictable results!
    For the issue of limiting the trig you need to do to get a 16 unit offset, you're gonna have to memorize some values. (11.312 in this case)
    The correct ratio is .707
    So for one cm bevel... .707
    2 cm = 1.414
    ... 2.121
    ... 2.828
    ... 3.535
    blah blah
  • Pizdos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pizdos triangle
    I am supper disappointed with Maya, price side and feature side. Either Blender/C4D and others moves faster, either this is way to overrated now. And that new Stingray engine that comes with Maya is way to old considering today free engines. Zero sell points.
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I`ve used Maya since 1.0.. this is the worst I have used on a day to day basis, the bad old days of 2010 etc..  I can get hardly any tools to be consistent or stable, even all the NEX stuff which was great has been broken. If it wasnt for work insisting on the new version there is no way its an improvement on 2015, and I guess anything is worth considering, Modo etc..  
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    2016 is beyond a joke. Why would you remove simple little useful features like shift + drag edge extruding and shift + middle click surface/edge slide? The answer is obvious, these people are incompetent and never actually use this tool. 

So now welcome to 2016, a stripped down version with random bits missing, CONSTANT viewport freezes and ... oh, this little gem here:

"Exporting to FBX with the FBX triangulate option may corrupt the main Maya scene"

Can this piece of software get any worse? Yes, yes it can, wait for 2017.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    rawkstar said:
    2016 is beyond a joke. Why would you remove simple little useful features like shift + drag edge extruding and shift + middle click surface/edge slide?

CONSTANT viewport freezes
    Does 2015 have those features? They don't seem to be working for me. Do I have to enable something or go into a certain mode?

Also, for myself, 2016 has a less problematic viewport, and I haven't had it freeze yet; so I guess these things vary from user to user.

I use 2015 for work, and 2016 at home, and coming to work and using 2015 feels like a huge step back in a lot of ways, for my workflow at least.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    ANy AMD users here? Lately, there's been this problem since the latest driver updtate, with AMD crimson, some features in Maya 2016 gets broken; you can't marquee select your stuff anymore...

what a drag...
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Blond said:
    ANy AMD users here? Lately, there's been this problem since the latest driver updtate, with AMD crimson, some features in Maya 2016 gets broken; you can't marquee select your stuff anymore...

what a drag...

I had a similiar issue with the latest nvidia driver. I ended up rolling it back to an older version(the nvidia driver). Fixed it instantly.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nvidia also has similar issue!! Is this a calculated plan to sell their workstation cards? 
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Maybe, just maybe, it's not a driver problem but it's Maya doing something completely wacky and weird with OpenGL to draw that marquee. All the other 3d and 2d programs that have them can draw them just fine, even on the latest drivers. It's not exactly an intensive effect, but Maya seems like the kind of program that does simple things in complex ways.
  • Demetrius_214
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone! (I'm new so hello everyone from a fellow newbie) I got a concern on Maya not too long ago; so I began to rename my group meshes so it'll be easier to find them in the outliner. But once I finished renaming them, this is what comes up as: wood_floor1:wall and it's gone for all meshes that've been renamed. So I got only one clue as to why it's doing that; I imported a file named "wood_floor," to replace a broken mesh yesterday (I worked on it until I made a mistake and tried to undo but it just broke the entire mesh, so I went to an earlier save file and imported that mesh onto the current save file from yesterday) and maybe that is what's causing the problem... though I'm not sure why it's affecting all meshes I've already modeled out. Anyone can assist in this dilemma, that'd be fantastic! 
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    those : is coming from the namespace...
    open the namespace editor and move the objects to the root...