Home Technical Talk

Do we really need to be Uv mapping in 2015?

Replies

• Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Jordan - Take a look at the ptex article. They are showing very will how much is the used memory for textures in games, and how big part it takes from the whole memory usage. Then you will see the reason better. Thats just one thing, there are other benefits too, as the others saying.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    We need everyone to purchase completely different sets of graphics cards to use PTEX.

:/

Things like Mip-Mapping doesn't work with PTEX, and would need a different type of solution... to avoid flickering/filtering.

I doubt compression works the same way.

We would need to restructure everything to accomodate PTEX.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    I was just referring to the benefits of using efficient uv maps. In that article, they are showing how much of the texture space can be wasted with the traditional method.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah, how would PTEX work with smoothing groups? Every edge would have to be a hard edge, and increase the vertex count the GPU has to deal with by a massive amount. How would normal maps work with PTEX and those smoothing groups? And like JacqueChoi mentioned, mip-mapping. How do you make modular/tiling assets that reuse textures space with PTEX? How do you animate UVs or textures with PTEX?
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ZacD wrote: »
    Yeah, how would PTEX work with smoothing groups? Every edge would have to be a hard edge, and increase the vertex count the GPU has to deal with by a massive amount. How would normal maps work with PTEX and those smoothing groups? And like JacqueChoi mentioned, mip-mapping. How do you make modular/tiling assets that reuse textures space with PTEX? How do you animate UVs or textures with PTEX?

i find ptex is one of those things that sounds amazing at the start, but the more you think about it, you realize it is currently rubbish for what we want. Maybe in the future if the issues can be worked out. But still engines are highly optimized to work wit the current systems in place. Ptex seems to mean dropping everything and starting anew, and not organically growing to something better.
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    What tools do you think Maya needs to improve for UVmapping? Their forum is quite responsive and we are in good cumincation with Autodesk Soho so I could point them to this thread to help give it some validationation.

Maya needs better...
    1, Packing tools (need to be able to controll the different size boundaries)
    2, Relaxing Shells (different algorithms for the relax on low level SubDiv)
    3, Radial & Linear Align
    4, And so on....

I love the "Unfold3D" for quick organic stuff. You can find it in "UV Texture Editor/Polygons/Unfold/Optionbox and use Method Unfold3D

Also have you triedMaya bonus tools?
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyhwoZTrB_s[/ame]

My work mate used Headus UVLayout in the film industry for unwrapping some car models, said he could Unwap a HiRez (what they call level 1) car model ready for texturing in Mari in a few hours. Then changed to a different company and same job would take him a week in Maya (The PCs in the film idustry are locked so he could not export the model to his laptop so he could use Headus UVLayout, infact all you have is a Monitor and Keyboard and the PC is in another room).
  • Wolthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolthera polycounter lvl 5
    passerby wrote: »
    i find ptex is one of those things that sounds amazing at the start, but the more you think about it, you realize it is currently rubbish for what we want. Maybe in the future if the issues can be worked out. But still engines are highly optimized to work wit the current systems in place. Ptex seems to mean dropping everything and starting anew, and not organically growing to something better.
    I was always under the impression that outside of movies PTex was just a good asset to the workflow: Paint first, then decide from there how the texel density of the uvs need to be laid out, UV, bake. Kinda like how no one would think having only raw ZBrush sculpts inside a game engine is a good idea, but having sculpting and using it as part of your workflow allows you to worry about topology after being done worrying about the looks.

Then again, I don't know if PTex is bakeable yet?
  • art73
    Offline / Send Message
    art73 polycounter lvl 5
    Some good comments on here , thanks.

It funny how some people find the uv part of the workflow as the more relaxing part. I find modelling and texturing immensely more fun. UV`ing , which is why I posted this thread, is the part that breaks the creative cycle for me. I`ve just modelled say a network of pipes, I want to slap on some materials to see them in all their glory, but no, all the uv`s are squashed and uv`s misplaced because I welded two vertices together,etc. These kind of general issues.

I dont know it just feels like its a part of the workflow that breaks the flow for me. I realise its an important area for game production but there seems to be such a heavy amount of work these days, modelling is more detailed than ever before, materials with PBR is much more time consuming. Wouldnt it be nice to just have something that helped with the uv side of things.

Like wouldnt it be nice if you assign a brick texture to the side of a house. It automatically scales and tiles the bricks because you`ve set that in the material. I assign a painted wood material to all the window frames. It knows which way is up, front,etc and it maps them polys accordingly as you assign them. I paste a metal shader to a pipe, it knows its curved because of the smoothing groups and it uv`s it as you assign. I`m just thinking off the top of my head.
    Like I said in my first post been doing uv`s for 20 odd years, it just feels like something that hasnt progressed.

I guess like alot of things, no pain no gain. And uv`s are my pain ;-)
  • skankerzero
    uvs are my moment of zen.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    art73 Alot of it really comes down to not treating UV's like they are a foreign to the rest of the modeling process. I consider how my UV's are going to look and how my normals are going to bake during the modeling process. This makes the UV and baking task much easier. Also there are some things like pipes which you mentioned where the UV's do them self depending on hope you modeled it.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Like wouldnt it be nice if you assign a brick texture to the side of a house. It automatically scales and tiles the bricks because you`ve set that in the material. I assign a painted wood material to all the window frames. It knows which way is up, front,etc and it maps them polys accordingly as you assign them.

This sounds a lot like the benefits of carefully done UVs :)
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    art73 wrote: »
    Like I said in my first post been doing uv`s for 20 odd years, it just feels like something that hasnt progressed.

I guess like alot of things, no pain no gain. And uv`s are my pain ;-)

The process of UVing has progressed. It's now quicker and easier than it once was. But what you are asking for is to skip the UV process altogether.
  • skankerzero
    Tobbo wrote: »
    The process of UVing has progressed. It's now quicker and easier than it once was. But what you are asking for is to skip the UV process altogether.

Well as he said, he does his organic unwrapping in Maya. Thus leading me to conclude that he hasn't really gone out and looked for a better uv pipeline. So it makes sense why he believes there has been no progress.

I used to think I was a fast uv unwrapper in Max, then bugo introduced me to UVLayout. Now I'm adding iPack that to my pipeline.
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I used to think I was a fast uv unwrapper in Max, then bugo introduced me to UVLayout. Now I'm adding iPack that to my pipeline.

Something to note is that UVLayout has been integrated into maya 2016/maya LT. It now replaces the default unfold command.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    I think I enjoy UV'ing because next I get to see the result, it's a moment of happiness.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    Something to note is that UVLayout has been integrated into maya 2016/maya LT. It now replaces the default unfold command.

Unfold3D is an extremely different thing from Headus.
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    tbh honest Uv mapping isn't my favorite thing in the world but it sure does come in handy for some workflows and there a heaps of tricks you can do with them especially for environments.
  • oglu
  • fdfxd2
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    beefaroni said:
    Ged wrote: »
    what do you like about using 3d coat? I have it but never used it for uvs. I find uvs a minor inconvenience not a big problem.
    I can do seams by hard edges (let's say 60 degrees), put a few more cuts in, click unwrap, check if 

hey
    blender can do that too!
    looks like I found a new UV mapping technique