Home Technical Talk

annoying zbrush quicksave

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
Is there a way to make zbrush quick save elsewhere besides my C drive, because it fills it up really fast, Quick save is a pretty useful feature otherwise.Ive tried looking it up but to no avail.

Thanks!

Replies

• disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    I wanted to bump this up in hopes someone knows how to do this.
    I have similar problem and I am actually worried about my ssd drive having to constantly write/save those big zbrush files on it. Would be great if I can keep zbrush installed on the ssd drive but move the quick save files on another drive.
    Thanks in advance guys.
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    I just installed my whole system on my new SSD and ran into this Issue. Fortunately there's a way to do it guys!

You just need to make a Junction into your ZbrushData folder.
    Basically you take all your files/folders that you want to be elsewhere and you move them from your ZbrushData folder to the wanted location.
    Then you need to create a junction from this new location to the actual good old ZbrushData folder.

You can either do it with a cmb in admin mode and do some fancy mklink'ing OR you are like me, and you are a lazy artist that likes consoles and terminals but is still too lazy most of the time to use them. Plus, sometimes you just need to do it fast and simple.
    If this is your case I invite you to download Link Shell Extention (seriously guys, do download this thing, it's awesome)
    basically this thing will ad some option into your regular right click menu. And what we want is to rightclick on the moved QuickSaves folder => Pick link source.
    Then go back to the original ZbrushData folder where the Quisaves folder was just before you moved it and right click => Drop as... => Junction

TADAH! you are done...

So in short:

1. Move the wanted folder to the NEW location.
    2. Install Link Shell Extention and pick moved folder as a link (right click => pick link source)
    3. Back in the ORIGINAL folder right click => Drop as... => Junction
    4. ...
    5. PROFIT!

ZOMFG-diskspace.jpg
    Here, have a screen shot of the disk Properties Before and After. You can clearly see that some Gb are missing, because they are no longer stored on the C:/ drive.
    (Yes I added some lens effects on this screen shot in postprod for a dramatic effect. AND I'M NOT SORRY!)

ZOMFG-moarfolderz.jpg

Mandatory screen' of the new location of the QuickSave folder.

ZOMFG-folderz.jpg
    And the screen of the folder with the Junction visible. Can you find it? (Hint: It's the one named Quicksave with a grey overlay on the icon.)
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    alternative tool: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768

while you're at it, you might want to remap the default directory zbrush wants to save subtools and projects in. if memory serves it's also located in the installation folder.

symbolic links/junctions are handy indeed. i use them as well for keeping all those application preferences folders grouped in one easy-to-find place.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Aren't quicksave files temporary? But good thread, I might do this anyway.
  • sebastienlevieux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebastienlevieux polycounter lvl 5
    hi, how work the alternative tool?

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    hey,

basic usage is something like -
    junction <path to location where you want a folder mapped to> <path of the actual folder on disk>

let's say you want to move your zbrush preference/user folder out of the original install location somewhere in c\:program files on the SSD to an existing folder d:\usr on your much bigger secondary hard disk. first locate the zbrush folder in question. e.g. by using windows explorer and going through the folder structure. on my box that would be -
    c:\program files (x86)\zbrush 4R7\ZStartup

move the folder where you want the actual data stored so for this example copy it to d:\usr and make sure that the original is removed. now to trick zbrush into accepting a different folder somewhere else as a valid replacement, the junction command will have to look like this -
    junction c:\program files (x86)\zbrush 4R7\ZStartup d:\usr\ZStartup

note that the path on c: contains spaces in the filename. you'll need to enclose any such paths with quotation marks (") to get interpreted correctly.
    open up a command prompt/terminal window and go -
    junction "c:\program files\ (x86)zbrush 4R7\ZStartup" d:\usr\ZStartup

this should create a link called ZStartup in c:\program files\zbrush 4R7\ . zbrush will happily accept it as it's user folder and it'll show as a folder in explorer and act like one but the actual data remains on d: deleting the junction does not delete the actual folder. however, removing the folder on d: will break any junction elsewhere that points to it. btw. the process does not work across network drives as far as i know, only links on the local machine are supported.

if you list a directory in command prompt via the dir command it'll show which items are folders and which ones are junctions.
  • sebastienlevieux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebastienlevieux polycounter lvl 5