Home General Discussion

Your software to work with in the studio.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
Hey polycounters!

With all these sales going on lately I have been wondering how many of you have your own licenses for software that you use both at home and at work.

For example I am quite tempted to buy Modo 801 to use both at work and at home. Yet primary modeling package at work is Maya. Does anyone do that?

Replies

• Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I think few studios would allow you to use your own licenses, especially for modelling apps as it would mess with the pipeline. Depends on the size of the studio I guess?
  • MattyWS
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    I have my own versions of the Quixel Suite, 3D Coat and Unity Pro that I use at work and home but that's about it, and mostly only use 3D coat on personal projects anyway (being tech art gives me basically zero chance to use model texturing software). Only one other person in the studio has 3D Coat but everyone has their own Quixel Suite now after black friday.. But again we have work copies too so doesn't make much difference.

I wouldn't use a different modelling package to everyone else though. I'd prefer Maya but my office is Max dominant so I just stick with that.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i'd think any larger studio - certainly the ones i was at - would discourage that. it raises red flags for possible licensing term violations with IT for starters. i'd imagine most places would rather get you a studio-licensed copy of modo if you are insistent enough.

using a different app to model than is the studio choice should only become a problem if you need to reimport your stuff for tweaking into your modeler (scale issues, lost custom data, uv sets, etc).
  • Gheromo
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Its very interesting, since some people use Quixel Suite at work, 3D coat individual licenses, Blender and so on. Which nobody is concerned about, why are people so concerned about modeling package if at the end of a day (in my case) its all about FBX files being exported into the engine?
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    depends on the studio , but sometimes in bigger studio, someone need to take care of your scene file or PSD file. because you have to do something else or some other project.

doesnt matter the software is free or non free. but we have to make sure people can access it without getting error.
  • MattyWS
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    Yea, you need working files, using FBX files and editing stuff then exporting to fbx again is a destructive workflow. unfortunately if someone uses one program and he or she goes off sick for 2 weeks, no one else can make changes if they use another program.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    thomasp wrote: »
    i'd think any larger studio - certainly the ones i was at - would discourage that. it raises red flags for possible licensing term violations with IT for starters. i'd imagine most places would rather get you a studio-licensed copy of modo if you are insistent enough.

using a different app to model than is the studio choice should only become a problem if you need to reimport your stuff for tweaking into your modeler (scale issues, lost custom data, uv sets, etc).

This. Any company that has a laissez faire about you using your own software hasn't been sued by a software association. At the minimum IT should take down any documentation that proves your license is valid.

So in all it's one half legal protection and one half not wanting to mess up their pipeline.

So i'd say buy your own software for home use and ask work to buy you a license, you'd be surprised.
  • The Mad Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    This. Any company that has a laissez faire about you using your own software hasn't been sued by a software association. At the minimum IT should take down any documentation that proves your license is valid.

So in all it's one half legal protection and one half not wanting to mess up their pipeline.

Yeah, I was gonna say..

I worked at a smaller company out of college that got in trouble for the way they handled their software licenses. I'd be very surprised for bigger companies to allow employees to just bring in their own copies of software without clearing it with IT.
  • gsokol
    Gheromo wrote: »
    Its very interesting, since some people use Quixel Suite at work, 3D coat individual licenses, Blender and so on. Which nobody is concerned about, why are people so concerned about modeling package if at the end of a day (in my case) its all about FBX files being exported into the engine?

Because not in all cases is it just an FBX being exported into the engine, but proprietary exporters with all sorts of extra jazz passing through.
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    I have Mirai...
    sadly new versions of windows are not supported :(

Mirai has alot of export options tho.

Besides no more windows support. Programming in Lisp seems like a tuff nut to swallow.
    Where Maya being built on top of mel made tools and rigging easy solutions.

To their credit, Izware still answers my support emails to this day.