Home Technical Talk

maya 2015 mac changed ctrl shortcuts to cmd

Ged
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Ged interpolator
It seems like someone thought it made sense to make all the maya shortcuts which use ctrl on pc use cmd on mac...it wasnt this way on mac until maya 2015 and it sucks. I go between maya on pc and maya on mac and I want to use the same shortcuts for example in uv window holding down ctrl to go between edge,vert,uv, face mode etc is now using cmd and I see no reason why. Is there a way to change it back to normal?

Replies

• ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
    Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks that sucks. Would like to know if this is possible also. Lots of other bugs atm but I'd settle for fixing this for now
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    one method is to switch the mapping of these keys but that would affect the entire system. if that's acceptable then you can do it through system preferences -> keyboard -> special keys (loosely translated from my german OSX install here. YMMV).

or you could have a look at: https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/
    this app seems to support profiles, so you could switch key bindings via the menubar at the very least: https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/document.html.en
    i have not tried this myself.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks guys Ive just about gotten used to the shortcuts now, they really shouldn't have changed it without at least offering an option to use the legacy mac 2014 keyboard layout. Ive still got other bugs like my mouse seems to keep moving an object for about half a second after Ive let go of the house button! really screws up rotations and quick accurate positioning of things.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    also maya doesnt cancel anything immediately for example when rendering or baking it just continues on no matter how many times I hit escape and then eventually decides to quit the task after pretty much finishing the render/bake and that could be 5 minutes, really frustrating.
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
    yeah, I'm having the same issue while trying to move objects. My screen flickers a lot also. I went back to 2014. A lot less bugs for the time being. Hopefully they release a hotfix for this.