Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• SinAmos
    Frump wrote: »
    Highpoly done for a new set. I'm going to hate myself when I have rig this. I might have to change or remove some things.

set_wip.png

Do you retopo? Is that your mode? Or is there a basemesh under there?
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Frump wrote: »
    Highpoly done for a new set. I'm going to hate myself when I have rig this. I might have to change or remove some things.

set_wip.png

I love the design of everything except the skirt. I just don't like it, it seems unfinished. Not sure if QoP supports alpha channels, but having a semi-transparent torn skirt mesh type material like this could really make that skirt look even better!
  • Starcofski
    I know this must sound odd but, two questions:
    1) Does the normals map include Displacement, or just bump?
    2) Can you generate a displacement map in Max using a Hi and Lo poly model?
  • Brandos
    Is there a good guide/tutorial for the whole dota 2 workshop thing from beginning to end?
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Brandos wrote: »
    Is there a good guide/tutorial for the whole dota 2 workshop thing from beginning to end?

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few guides come out after the contest wrap's up. Might have a run at one myself if i can find the time, although that would likely be in the new year.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    a little offtopic

guys, did you see the beta realese of the ddo program from quixel?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mEitpwGv3w&feature=plcp"]dDo Beta is OUT! - YouTube[/ame]

the same guys that made de ndo2
  • lancemaker
    yes... thats crazy stuff dude ... autotune for painting lol.
  • lancemaker
    Brandos wrote: »

this tread + the dota 2 guides
    and this links can help:
    http://wyksblog.com/getting-started-dota-2-cosmetics/
    http://www.cyborgmatt.com/dota-2-model-viewer-guide/

the most difficult part is understanding how the masks work. You can have some problems with the rigging to, but if you decompile the game models and bind the skin over the original things will work. oh .. and keep in mind the size of the textures. Be economical on the UVing. i think that is it.
  • RDMD
    Offline / Send Message
    RDMD polycounter lvl 10
    do you have to submit a set all at the same time? or you can submit one part first and add other later?

does valve choose only one item of a set in case they like one one part? I think I have saw some items which where part of a whole set or something like that which where choosen instead but not the other items
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    Hey tvidotto, thanks for the link. Gave it a try this afternoon and it's very powerful for creating all those little details on high resolution textures in seconds. I don't think it'll be very useful for dota though because, like I said, "high resolution textures." I tried it on my OD set and nothing was visible in-game :P. I am impressed with it though.
  • SinAmos
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    a little offtopic

guys, did you see the beta realese of the ddo program from quixel?

dDo Beta is OUT! - YouTube

the same guys that made de ndo2

This reminds me of material baking in zbrush. I'll have to check it out.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    SinAmos wrote: »
    Do you retopo? Is that your mode? Or is there a basemesh under there?

I am in the process of retopo'ing it. I always build a high poly version first and then retopo and bake. It helps me with texturing and having cooler looking items because my original creation in 3d isn't held back by the game's limitations.
    I love the design of everything except the skirt. I just don't like it, it seems unfinished. Not sure if QoP supports alpha channels, but having a semi-transparent torn skirt mesh type material like this could really make that skirt look even better

Semi-transparent skirt could be cool but I don't think she supports transparency. It's not used at all in her base model. If it turns out she does, that will save me some tris adding rips/holes to the wings.

The skirt won't really be very noticable from game camera and I might not have enough tris to fit it as is. She doesn't really have a slot for it, I'm planning to piggyback it on the Back slot with the wings (which I also might not be able to do). It's mainly just there for the silhouette, her bottom half looks really plain without something and a solid skirt didn't look good.
  • Dvonio
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    Set done!

sU56C.jpg

Link to the workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?edit=true&id=110610696

Thank you guys, has been a pleasure working with this community!
  • lancemaker
    guess its finished. i may try to make a new weapon, but the tris limit on the lod 0 is killing me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsAZZcqe41I&feature=youtu.be
    watch?v=CsAZZcqe41I&feature=youtu.be
  • lancemaker
    Dvonio wrote: »
    Set done!

sU56C.jpg

Link to the workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?edit=true&id=110610696

Thank you guys, has been a pleasure working with this community!

hey dude, where can i find that polycount logo ?
  • Dvonio
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
  • bounchfx
    so I followed the tutorial for Dota 2 Test to see all my items in game, I unpacked everything, renamed, and copied my files over in both the models/heroes/... directory as well as the materials/models/hereoes/...

but now when I look at the character in game all his items are invisible, and he's left there naked. Any idea why I can't see my items or what I might have missed? :*(
  • Starcofski
  • lancemaker
    bounchfx wrote: »
    so I followed the tutorial for Dota 2 Test to see all my items in game, I unpacked everything, renamed, and copied my files over in both the models/heroes/... directory as well as the materials/models/hereoes/...

but now when I look at the character in game all his items are invisible, and he's left there naked. Any idea why I can't see my items or what I might have missed? :*(
    ok .. you dont need to change materials/models/heros. you just import, then copy the 3 files (mdl, vtx vvd ) on models/items/yourhero to models/heros/yourhero rename the old ones to something else, or delete them and rename your 3 files to the former ones, replacing them. Now the game will read the mdl and will be pinted to the files on your items/ and materials/models/items. so there is no need to change or delete them. oh and for each item u should open and close dota to things to take effect.
  • bounchfx
    lancemaker wrote: »
    ok .. you dont need to change materials/models/heros. you just import, then copy the 3 files (mdl, vtx vvd ) on models/items/yourhero to models/heros/yourhero rename the old ones to something else, or delete them and rename your 3 files to the former ones, replacing them. Now the game will read the mdl and will be pinted to the files on your items/ and materials/models/items. so there is no need to change or delete them. oh and for each item u should open and close dota to things to take effect.

got it, that's way simpler, thanks!

before it was too ambiguous for me, so I thought I could take my content built files from BETA and use them in TEST. Also thought I needed to copy the materials. Guess not to both! now I can see it, yay! :D
  • Paskie
    Next set will be a Necrolyte set :)

qd7Hf.png
  • Axez D. Nyde
    Heya, uhm I compiled a set of character sheets by importing the models to blender and rendering them via cycles. They're meant as a starting point to draw armor/weapons onto. Not sure where to put them though. Take a look at the attachment and let me know if you guys are interested in them and I will upload them somewhere as a zipped file.
  • lancemaker
    promo.jpg
    my set is finished guys, my collection is bugged tho, and i cant put a image on the collection page. do u know how can i fix it ?
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    To view your custom set together in-game:
    I hope it helps:

Gathered information an Adjustment for better understanding:$!nz
    "You can do it all on dota 2 test.
    1:In the Dota2 BETA FOLDER, extract all folders to the DOTA2TEST FOLDER
    so unpack all files, using CGFScape, on file pak01_dir.vpk to extract all, I went folder by folder not through the root all at once
    after this you must rename all the .vpk files (there is an easy way using the command prompt. but u can do it manually) Rename them something like .vpk0 so the game won't register it.

2:Compile your items in dota 2 TEST
    When importing your custom pieces post them as the default names, Bracer, helm, sword , so Beastmaster_sword compile using the default names.. this will be your compiled folder, sword/"your items in here."
    when you extract the files you'll have already renamed them to the defaults.
    what you do with the defaults is put them in a folder and/or move them some where outside of the dota 2 test dir (I deleted them), so you can replace them with your compiled files..

3: find the geometry folder as the example:
    Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 test\dota\models\items\yourhero\crazynumber\"your item"
    now copy (its very important that u copy and don't erase these files) the content and paste here:
    Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 test\dota\models\heroes\yourhero (example: beastmaster/(your files go into this dir)not deleting those files you'll have 2 copies in different directories, don't worry. it works like this.
    now rename the default files so u can use the respective slot with your own geometry, rename your authored files to the default ones and you are set. (unless you didn't in step 2.)
    After this you will see all your geometry loaded in-game on all possible views including loadout. (check at loadout if something is wrong here you did something wrong, redo till you get it right.)

Most of this info is from Tvidotto. but i had to smash my head for some hours to get it done.

Limitations :
    You cant use a slot if there is not a default item on the hero. For exemple : i cant use my "back" item on Spirit breaker, since there is not a deafult back item on him."

Tvidotto's comments:
    btw, check your alpha on mask1 (i think) the self illumination is full white.
    If you use a full black there the engine will discard the alpha, you need at least a pixel of other color, you can put in the corner of the texture

All credit to those whom posted this information for us, thanks again, I just sorted things out for myself and shared my experience of the process.
    As I had to figure things out that where missing in the "guide".

I have done the above and added my experiences in red to the quote above for better understanding you should review my version as I have already done this last night and got it to work like this and it worked for me.

Best of luck, people.

Corrected myself:
    Also I had to compile the sets within the dota 2 test folder area not the dota 2 beta area, dota 2 test creates folders not .zip files it will be created when you can see them in the previewer no need to submit items within test..

Whew! now post some in-game images, enjoy, also thanks guys for the info I just organized It for better understanding.
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone else wrote that in this thread actually and I was just quoting it XD, but yes it is the easiest method I've found so far.
  • lancemaker
    Someone else wrote that in this thread actually and I was just quoting it XD, but yes it is the easiest method I've found so far.

i want my 30% royalties on this quotation lol. i didnt invented it tho, tvidotto did it. i learned it studying his posts.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    All credit to tvidotto then? I want to be sure I posted this in 3 threads lol... either way thanks for the information again whomever.
  • Dvonio
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    promo.jpg
    my set is finished guys, my collection is bugged tho, and i cant put a image on the collection page. do u know how can i fix it ?

Happens the same to me, cant put an image on collection, anyone knows how to fix it?
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    You need to edit basic collection information then scroll to the bottom, hit continue and the next page will let you upload a banner and video :)
  • lancemaker
    You need to edit basic collection information then scroll to the bottom, hit continue and the next page will let you upload a banner and video :)
    Ty ! it worked ! :D
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    $!nz wrote: »
    All credit to tvidotto then? I want to be sure I posted this in 3 threads lol... either way thanks for the information again whomever.

hahaha i posted that before you and more then 3 times! =]

lets fight for credits!

just joking man, everyone is so helpfull here at polycount, lets continue that =]
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    promo.jpg

if i may suggest

use a darker color on your background, that amount of brightness is making your items darken then they are, a less saturated color is a good choice too

the black border in my opinion is too thick and too black

you also can use more of your space, there is too much background on your image
  • lancemaker
    if i may suggest

use a darker color on your background, that amount of brightness is making your items darken then they are, a less saturated color is a good choice too

the black border in my opinion is too thick and too black

you also can use more of your space, there is too much background on your image

noted, ty tvidotto. i wil probably change those files, im making a weapon here and i will probably want to include it on those files too.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha i posted that before you and more then 3 times! =]

lets fight for credits!

just joking man, everyone is so helpfull here at polycount, lets continue that =]

No fighting all yours, I just couldn't follow It as It was posted around page 108. So I wanted It to be as straight forward as possible :) that is all I did, also the 108 had some things missing that you had to stumble upon like if you only just extracted the dota 2 test content I found I had missing parts like no map textures loaded the fire shaders on doom was wonked out, alot of pink and black checkered patterns everywhere.
    But if you extract the DOTA 2 beta content to DOTA 2 Test you get all the files that were missing back and everything looks legit, for me anyway though selecting weaponry is wonked out the icon's don't match the items when trying to buy them so be wary of that ahead of time people. (at least on the first run of a match in-game)

:) That is all thanks for posting the info that will help us all in the future, now their should be a new rule of posting images you can only use the ingame images to show off your items at the store. ;) So their can be no more complaints about us sprucing our items at the shop. :poly142::poly124: but we all know that won't happen. Anyway enjoy.
  • Paskie
    Gah, finished. There is no way in hell it stands a chance on winning but i have learned so much by doing this set, and i have gotten a great deal of help from you guys! Thx!
    Going to spend some time actually playing the game now that i am done. My friends have missed me :) Critique is as always welcome. Looking forward to seeing everyones sets! And by that i mean Anuxinamoons 35 sets ;)

1A6D08365FAD21B168E2F2D54DA9C32CA257F661

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=110778591
  • Dvonio
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4

Thank you :D, btw i follow your livestream and its awesome, but it would be more awesome if can improve up your quality a bit! to make letters legible so they are easy to follow!
  • bugball
    Ok forget it, I was reading one by one all the pages.. and woala, is in this same page just 3 or 4 post above me -_-

Guys, how did some of you preview the full set INGAME? I'm really lost about it, would be great.

What I mean like that huskar set where the guy even were able to play with the full custom seT?
  • bugball
    To view your custom set together in-game:

I have done the above and added my experiences in red to the quote above for better understanding you should review my version as I have already done this last night and got it to work like this and it worked for me.

Best of luck, people.

Also I had to compile the sets within the dota 2 test folder area not the dota 2 beta area, you don't have to submit them the .zip file will be created when you can see them in the previewer.

Whew! now post some in-game images, enjoy, also thanks guys for the info I just organized It for better understanding.

Did it but the items don't show.. the model is just naked now in dota 2 test :S
  • Mr. Toodles
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr. Toodles polycounter lvl 11
    attempted to load my retopologized model into zbrush and this happened. the model is showing itself as see through and i dont know what i did wrong please help!

I appended a zsphere and edited the topology of it then exported it out as an obj.

needhelpwithzbrush.jpg
  • lancemaker
    attempted to load my retopologized model into zbrush and this happened. the model is showing itself as see through and i dont know what i did wrong please help!

I appended a zsphere and edited the topology of it then exported it out as an obj.

needhelpwithzbrush.jpg
    it got inversed normals i guess . it does not seem that u are using mayathen i cant give u the solution. but i think u can change that with not much efort just google : reversing normals in "your aplication".
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    bugball wrote: »
    Did it but the items don't show.. the model is just naked now in dota 2 test :S

Need to have 2 copies of the items at models/heroes + models/items
    textures are materials/models/heroes + materials/models/items if you extracted the root folder thinking it will work like that it will not you have to extract folder by folder as tedious as it may be, and your extracting dota 2 beta content into dota 2 test folder, just be sure.

Like it says if it doesn't show up you've done something wrong.

Dota 2 test doesn't create .zip files just folders with your content.
  • Mr. Toodles
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr. Toodles polycounter lvl 11
    it got inversed normals i guess . it does not seem that u are using mayathen i cant give u the solution. but i think u can change that with not much efort just google : reversing normals in "your aplication".

Thank you
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Toodles: You can also go into zbrush [Tools>display>flip] That will fix it for now :D
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    if you extracted the root folder thinking it will work like that it will not you have to extract folder by folder as tedious as it may be, and your extracting dota 2 beta content into dota 2 test folder, just be sure.

Actually, in GCFScape if you left click on the root folder in the left window, then in the right window shift+select all the folders and right click extract, as long as you're pointing to the right directory with all the same folders you can extract them all in one batch, no folder by folder required.
  • Paskie
    Rubicks model is up! http://dota2.com/workshop/requirements/Rubick
    Along with the missing budgets of the recent additions.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! I wish they would hurry up and add luna and puck to the list :< Really wanna pop at fairie dragon :3
  • Paskie
    Hey, just noticed that the texts at http://dota2.com/workshop/requirements are now regional translated. I'm from Sweden so my text for example Necrolyte now read "I en tid av stor pl
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, in GCFScape if you left click on the root folder in the left window, then in the right window shift+select all the folders and right click extract, as long as you're pointing to the right directory with all the same folders you can extract them all in one batch, no folder by folder required.

^Awesome i didn't know this nor did I try, uhg oh well I found out test was not importing ground shader or something so that's when I did the beta content to test and all was fine. :) Thanks for that.
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! I wish they would hurry up and add luna and puck to the list :< Really wanna pop at fairie dragon :3

And here I thought the competition would go back to "normal" levels after the contest was over; I'm never getting anything accepted into the game ever again D:.

Haha jk, looking forward to seeing what you come up with next :)
  • zicoV
    Am I the only one who cant get into the game at the moment ?

Whenever I try to open dota it just gets stuck saying "Connecting to the Dota 2 network..."

Edit: nvm just had to restart steam -.-