Home General Discussion

Did you attended a college for 3D?

YellowYeti
vertex
Offline / Send Message
YellowYeti vertex
Hi all, just wondering if you guys to get whatever current job in the 3D field went to any particular college or courses, since i want to go into the 3D field but can't afford any special colleges for it and wondering if anyone else was in a similar case and did something different? Also do jobs in the industry usually require a degree or is it mainly about the demo-reel? Thanks!

Replies

• dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Jobs typically do not require a college degree but the position I am in did
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    First and foremost, you should look through this thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108342
    Did you attended a college for 3D?
    Nope.
    wondering if anyone else was in a similar case and did something different?
    Yup. I couldn't afford to go to college, so I stayed home and worked on game art all day.
    Also do jobs in the industry usually require a degree or is it mainly about the demo-reel?
    In my experience, nobody cares about your education if you have an excellent portfolio. Most people I talk to wouldn't even think to ask if/where you went to school unless you're trying to get into something like engineering or graphics programming.

The general advice I hear from a lot of people, and that I would also advocate, is to go to school for fine art if you want to go to school for something. That will help you build artistic foundations that you might not have had with self education or a game art degree.

If you don't want to go to school, then you're going to be working very hard on personal work for the foreseeable future.
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    yup. Art Institute San Diego.
  • YellowYeti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YellowYeti vertex
    Swizzle wrote: »

I couldn't afford to go to college, so I stayed home and worked on game art all day.

Mind if i ask if you used any programs/online classes like DT or something similar? or just all by yourself, thanks. Also thanks for the link and should i take this thread down because of that or something?
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Same, AiSD. But as swizzle said, it doesn't matter that much in terms of employer...if your folio rocks, that's more important.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Sort of.

Did most of my 3D on my own time. Learned about game development and did game development in school.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I taught myself through tutorials on polycount and through Google. Eat3D, 3DMotive, DT, etc, didn't exist yet.

It's easier than ever to learn 3D modeling on your own now
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Started at AiOC, found out school for game art is whack, dropped out a little over a year into my degree (though I know a lot of people that did go on to be great game artists from schools like LCAD and Ringling, guess it depends on school). Got a job in Arch Vis type freelance stuff while I worked on game art port on side. Got job at indie studio, learned how to truly make games, then made my way to AAA where I am now.

If you want to go to school for game development, start in Comp Sci and learn how to program. You can ALWAYS learn how to art on your own, use your free time while in school to learn from the artists also attending or sit in/take elective art classes. If you cannot get the motivation to work on your art in your spare time and teach yourself, chances are you will struggle to get a port together in your free time as well (to get a job with that studying). Just my opinion. Takes a shit load of self motivation to maintain a career in this industry as an artist, something I personally struggle with myself every single day.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I got my first job because of my reel. Then again, college taught me a couple of things... so I guess I should give them credit. But it wasn't required to actually have a degree. My current situation is different. I moved overseas and a degree is definitely useful here. More of a formal requirement.

I attended AiFL and got a BSc. Got a diploma in CS as well. Doing a MSc now next to work. I still like being on the production floor, but I want to have some options in case I get tired of it.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    There's so many resources online now. You can make it being self taught. It does take a tremendous amount of self discipline though and being connected with other artists helps.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    YellowYeti wrote: »
    Mind if i ask if you used any programs/online classes like DT or something similar? or just all by yourself, thanks. Also thanks for the link and should i take this thread down because of that or something?

I used Polycount and other art forums to learn almost everything I know. I've never had much use for most online courses because they don't tend to move at the pace I'd like, nor do they usually focus on the things I'm interested in.

This is certainly not universal, so check that type of thing out if you think you could benefit from it.
  • KeirKieran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeirKieran polycounter lvl 3
    I went to college for it, but with the resources available now, it's not necessary. If you have the sticktoitiveness to keep on track without a teacher demanding your homework, avoid college. If you need some structure, look for online classes on various websites. If you're competitive, look for contests and use them like a student would use a class assignment.

Try out a few things and see what works for you.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Yes. Art Institute of Orange County. Would have more then likely gone to Ringling if i did it over again.

Art school I think is far more important if you've never done art before. It exposes you to mixed mediums and helps train you visually rather then technically (which is why im all for an art school, not a Tech school like AI or some other college were you get a degree in games, though i think Ringling has that also). 3D is just another medium. Its how you use it artistically that's important.

Side benifit. If your plan on working oversees, a degree helps with that.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Yep, Savannah College of Art and Design. Degree was in Film/VFX though, transitioned to modeling and shader work after college but I learned a lot of discipline and time management during school.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    yup, went to Savannah College of Art and Design - rips a piece of my soul out of my body on the 17th of each month.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    No.

When they offered 3D in college, it was taught on SGI machines...
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Yes, an undergraduate degree in videogames art.

I failed and dropped out.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    Nah, all self-taught. Our entire art team is barring the lead, but even he said it wasn't worth the time or effort.
  • Amaury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaury polycounter lvl 7
    yes, and I would not do it again if I had the choice.

I got in right after high school and didn't know a thing about 3D. I only drew from time to time. If I didn't attend this school I probably wouldn't have discovered my passion for this field.

But being passionnate and at school at the same time is kinda frustrating : I wanted to learn more and more, started to watch tons of tutorials, and then I was quickly bored in class. I felt like my tutorials were a lot more useful, that my school was outdated in term of techniques. For example, in 2nd year, we had 1 course for ZBrush, we learned the UI and that's it, no assignment, no training, no tips & tricks, nothing about sculpting with flow, detail management and transitions. I don't really mind because I was doing all of this at home, but all that wasted money... ugh.

And now I'm in 3rd year, videogame specialization, and guess what ? we have game design and game programmation courses. ONE 3D class per week. That's cool for those who don't really care about what they'll do in the future, so they can try everything and find their way. But personnally, I KNOW that I want to do character art, and I really don't give a shit about game design and C#. Interesting, but actually a waste of precious time.

Not mentioning group projects and having to work with complete dumbasses who have no interest for their studies. Making characters to see them later literally destroyed after the rigging and animation process... Having to work aside guys who watch TV shows and anime all day... Yeah, fun. Motivating.

That's the problem when your school's intrinsic policy is "everybody gets in, just pay and get your diploma ! that's easy !"

The only positive aspects are a great social network, it's still important to get out of the bedroom and talk to people, and the diploma that facilitates obtaining work visas overseas.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Yes. Durham College.

Ive since been doing online courses as well, which i find to be much more valuable. You learn more, and from people in the industry who teach at night. 1 on 1 critiques, rather than a sheet of paper with some numbers on it of how you did.

But I got my first job because of the contacts I made at college. My second job was through contacts i made in my online class. and third / current job was because of the networking I did online/in person (outside of classes). So I wouldn't change a thing if I were to do it again.
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    Amaury wrote: »
    yes, and I would not do it again if I had the choice.

I got in right after high school and didn't know a thing about 3D. I only drew from time to time. If I didn't attend this school I probably wouldn't have discovered my passion for this field.

But being passionnate and at school at the same time is kinda frustrating : I wanted to learn more and more, started to watch tons of tutorials, and then I was quickly bored in class. I felt like my tutorials were a lot more useful, that my school was outdated in term of techniques. For example, in 2nd year, we had 1 course for ZBrush, we learned the UI and that's it, no assignment, no training, no tips & tricks, nothing about sculpting with flow, detail management and transitions. I don't really mind because I was doing all of this at home, but all that wasted money... ugh.

Not mentioning group projects and having to work with complete dumbasses who have no interest for their studies. Making characters to see them later literally destroyed after the rigging and animation process... Having to work aside guys who watch TV shows and anime all day... Yeah, fun. Motivating.

That's the problem when your school's intrinsic policy is "everybody gets in, just pay and get your diploma ! that's easy !"

This.
    Exactly my story.

Got taught the basics, got a pat on the back. Passed the grades , got a piece of paper and a handshake and thus was promptly unemployed.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Yes.

But it was 1996, and was very difficult time trying to learn 3D without going to an actual school.

You definitely don't need it now, but a degree helps a lot with borders.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, didn't want to at the time but it was a fun experience and its useful to say you have a degree.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes.

I dropped out though. I was in school up until my first 3d max class. I realized I was not learning at the pace I wanted to learn at anymore (school was too slow), and my increasing school / life debt meant I had to take a promotion to assistant manager and go full time with my restaurant job.

It took me a year and a half to break in after dropping out, but that was still faster than most of my friends with degrees. Like JacqueChoi said though, This was 1998 - 99. A very different time.

Don't regret going and don't regret dropping out.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    It is interesting to note that some jobs do require a degree, seems to be case bby case
  • YellowYeti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YellowYeti vertex
    Wow thanks for all the replies! It really helped and made me feel better, but if i could ask if anyone is still here lol is what did you use to teach yourselves like a program? Or did you just make a lot of stuff by yourselves with nothing? Thanks again.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I don't even have a high school equivalent grade in art, and i've been an artist (professionally/paid) for almost a decade.

I have absolutely no background education in programming/logic and i've been a programmer for Marmoset for just over a year now.

hard work and passion are literally all you need to make it in this industry, and without either of those you are almost guaranteed to fail.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YellowYeti wrote: »
    Wow thanks for all the replies! It really helped and made me feel better, but if i could ask if anyone is still here lol is what did you use to teach yourselves like a program? Or did you just make a lot of stuff by yourselves with nothing? Thanks again.

Now days you have websites like Digital Tutors and Youtube. All the knowledge is there.

You just need self discipline to sit there and practice.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Yes. Art Institute of Pittsburgh.

Best professional decision I made, at the time. Absolute worst financial decision I've ever made.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Now days you have websites like Digital Tutors and Youtube. All the knowledge is there.

You just need self discipline to sit there and practice.

This.

There is also http://eat3d.com/ and http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/

Or, if you find yourself needing school to keep you motivated, there are some pretty awesome schools out there that have professionals that teach you through live lectures / critiques. These are guys and gals that work in the industry, and do it as a part time job at night.

Animation -
    www.ianimate.net
    www.animationmentor.com
    www.animschool.com

modelling and everything else -
    https://www.gnomon.edu/
    http://training.cgsociety.org/

You'll probably wanna learn at least the basics by yourself before entering a course though. You`ll get more out of it if you already know the tools. Though even when you know the tools, you`ll still learn different ways to do things in the courses. short cuts and what not.

The material is out there. What are you waiting for?
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Geezus wrote: »
    Yes. Art Institute of Pittsburgh.

Best professional decision I made, at the time. Absolute worst financial decision I've ever made.

lol me too....I met a bunch of cool people at AIP..but it was like a very expensive introduction to the basics...I graduated almost 20 years ago though..so everything was still pretty much just the basics..given today's landscape and accessibility there is no reason to spend tens of thousands of dollars on it
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    low odor wrote: »
    lol me too....I met a bunch of cool people at AIP..but it was like a very expensive introduction to the basics...I graduated almost 20 years ago though..so everything was still pretty much just the basics..given today's landscape and accessibility there is no reason to spend tens of thousands of dollars on it

20 years ago? You must have gotten your debt down to 50k by now! Woohoo!
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Geezus wrote: »
    20 years ago? You must have gotten your debt down to 50k by now! Woohoo!

I wish...if only it was 20 years of financially responsible descion making
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I graduated in scientific illustration in 1996 (or it might have been '97), not sure now.

I did an animation of a flower for one of my final projects, but win 95 crashed as the moderator was coming round:)
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Going to school is a great decision to make, but you have to go to the right school. Just keep in mind that the piece of paper doesn't get you the job, your reel and and attitude does. I went to school from 1995 to 2000. I transferred from a degree in Fine Arts to Graphic Design... 3D is a lot easier to do and learn these days and far more accessible. Try carrying your animation projects on zip discs... Fun times...
  • dry0n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dry0n vertex
    Francois_K wrote: »
    This.
    Exactly my story.

Got taught the basics, got a pat on the back. Passed the grades , got a piece of paper and a handshake and thus was promptly unemployed.

Sadly, this is my story too.
  • KeirKieran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeirKieran polycounter lvl 3
    Hey, Geezus and Low Oder! I'm an AIP grad myself. Glad to see some of us out in the wild; school was really fun times. I graduated 10 years ago. It was a good school when I was there. My teachers were very helpful and learning online wasn't as easy as it is now. That said, it's really tanked over years. Moved buildings and lost all it's heart. (YellowYeti, stay away from it now, seriously.)

YellowYeti - I recently grabbed some good tuts on Udemy.com. They have some nice sales if you watch and you can pick up some good stuff for just a few bucks.
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    I went to a school to learn 3D and it was one of the best decision I made in my life.

However I should let you know that it was an incredibly good school, HEAJ Namur. The school year cost 350 euros and teachers are actual veteran game artists currently working in the game industry.

There I met a senior character artist who liked my work and got me my very first gig as a intern character artist on a AAA game. And with that experience and a lot of work I got my current job as a character artist.

So sometime going to school is a great idea =)
  • kunalht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kunalht polycounter lvl 2
    Nope.
    Learning 3D at home through Digital tutors.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I went to AiFL 15 years ago, tuitions where more reasonable then, I paid off my loan after launching my first title... then I got laid off, ouch!
  • YellowYeti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YellowYeti vertex
    slipsius wrote: »
    This.

There is also http://eat3d.com/ and http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/

modelling and everything else -
    https://www.gnomon.edu/
    http://training.cgsociety.org/

You'll probably wanna learn at least the basics by yourself before entering a course though. You`ll get more out of it if you already know the tools. Though even when you know the tools, you`ll still learn different ways to do things in the courses. short cuts and what not.

The material is out there. What are you waiting for?

although i am using digitaltutors, i saw on gnomon that you had to be a resident of california to take their online courses? Which doesn't make sense to me.