Home General Discussion

Project management software?

classiclover
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
classiclover polycounter lvl 2
I'm looking for a management software. I can do this via google and I know lots of results will come up. But i don't trust what they say, especially the reviews online so I'm thinking that maybe I should just ask you guys. Maybe someone here has experience in this kind of software. Maybe you use a good one in your office. Can you give me good recommendations?

Our small company recently announced that they were planning upgrades and if we'd like to make a suggestion. I'm thinking that maybe we can use a good software so we don't have problems with reports and so that our work flow is more efficient.

Any ideas, suggestions, advice? Looking forward to your replies. Thanks!

Replies

• sourtalk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have experienced system upgrade just last month in our office, however we didn't have a ready made software but instead we had a system developed by a programmer that perfectly suits our office routine.
  • classiclover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    classiclover polycounter lvl 2
    Hello. Thanks for replying. That sounds lovely but I'm afraid that if we go that route it'll be more expensive and I think it'll take a lot of time to have one specially designed for our use.
    The company where my friend works uses this software. Maybe I'll just go with this one. Have you ever heard of them?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've used Hansoft for project management. It's expensive but works pretty well with Scrum. It gets complicated though, and doesn't help you track how long tasks actually took.

I've heard good things about Jira. Haven't tried it though.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I renamed your thread title. "Need work related suggestions" was a poor title since it didn't describe what exactly you want. I hope this helps.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I (along with most artist) prefer Hansoft.
    Visualizing burndown charts and dependencies are really nice, because artists and animators work in a pretty linear fashion, making this quite simple.

Programmers and Project Managers seem to prefer Jira.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    Just curious, why do programmers and project managers prefer jira?

I'm a project manager in a small startup and we've been using trello for most stuff.
    We have a trello board for the weekly task management:
    We create cards for each user story, and break it down into small tasks as a checklist within the card. Requirements go into descriptions, etc.
    Then move the cards in the classic To Do > In Progress > Testing > Done order
    For a more top level project management we also use a trello board, where we can move features (cards) between different columns(Milestones)

For the GDD we actually use microsoft's Onenote Web App, which is kind of like google docs, but a better structured. So more like a Wiki, maybe.

So far this has worked perfectly for our ~10 person team, but I realize this would probably crash and burn in a big studio :P
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Lots of people equally love/hate Hansoft. I guess its main advantage is that it supports Agile. It's also made by gamers apparently (shame, I wish it were made by usability experts instead). Integration of Hansoft with other production tools can also be a royal pain. Personally, I'd prefer not to work with it. Although there are many people who love it. (then again, some people like to manage their projects in Excel...)

If you look for classic project management, that can do GANTT diagrams, AoN diagrams, resource leveling and what not, MS Project can do that. Project Libre is oriented at MS Project, but it's free.

If you really want to go light weight, grab something like Trello. It's great for people who "don't care about the project management crap" to get work done. But in the background, you better have someone who does careful planning based on your Trello activity, using something like MS Project, Hansoft, or any real PM tool - especially when you also have a budget to watch!

I guess the question really is, who's your user base? how complex are the task relationships and resource assignments you want to manage? And, which development method you plan to use (Scrum, generic Agile, Waterfall, Kanban, a bit of this, a bit of that)?

Also, keep in mind that Scum/Agile is a development method. It's not the same as project management, which also includes budgeting, risk planning, resource allocation planning and what not. If you have a tool that only supports Scum/Agile then you may still need extra software to cover the rest.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shotgun seems to be getting more use these days too.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    One of my projects uses a service called Teamworkworks well so far.
  • sourtalk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello. Thanks for replying. That sounds lovely but I'm afraid that if we go that route it'll be more expensive and I think it'll take a lot of time to have one specially designed for our use.
    The company where my friend works uses this software. Maybe I'll just go with this one. Have you ever heard of them?

Sorry I haven't heard of that company but it's good that you have an option, good luck! :)
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    We use Hansoft at the studio I work at. As the Outsource Manager, I use it lots. I wouldn't say I love or hate it, but I do like and dislike it. It could be great IF the developers actually added features their users keep requesting. To me it seems like it's developed by a small team of people who must have full time jobs elsewhere. The rate of new features is very humble. I'm amazed that they can get away with charging lots of money for it.

Our producers seem to like it, however.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    +1 for Hansoft here, seems pretty good to me but I don't really use it much.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Kwramm wrote: »
    If you really want to go light weight, grab something like Trello.

Yeah Trello is great. I use it in work and for all sorts of personal things just to keep my life a bit more organised. It's free as well.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Fomori wrote: »
    Yeah Trello is great. I use it in work and for all sorts of personal things just to keep my life a bit more organised. It's free as well.

it's a great tool to get work done and track progress. It's not so great for actual planning and budgeting - i.e. the main work of a producer before production starts. It's really very, very basic. But it totally beats Hansoft in usability and non-producer user acceptance. I find myself planning most smaller tasks in Trello and just resort to Hansoft for large grained tasks.