Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi Female

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
ysalex interpolator
Figured it was time to start a thread for this. The theme is a sci-fi female is a sorta nearish future, think neuromancer level technology, but not so bleak. She actually goes with my last piece, 'mech suit alien',

thread for him here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121436&page=2

Right now I'm working on getting everything concepted together. I started with this old model which I never did a project with, made some alterations, and am concepting out clothing and technology. She won't be naked in the end.

I have no clue how to do the hair, so I'm testing some solutions.

Y0wy4dr.jpg

NBQLkN9.jpg

Replies

• Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Amazing work as usual Ysalex!

Hair looks amazing so far no problems there! What process did you go through?
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    I look forward to seeing how you tackle the hair and I like how you have sorted it. If you could achieve that same result with textured hair cards you would be on a winner!

I think you could do with changing the shape of the philtral column, it seems to be unnaturally wide and over exaggerated at the moment.

Also I was wondering what matcap you are using for the skin, it has some spec on it :)
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Saw that on Lunchcrunch, it looks great! =)

Like Dave Jr, I'd love to know about your process for laying the hair planes. It has a very nice flow.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks guys.

The hair was done similar to Crazyfools IMM hair brush, except that I only used it to draw about 5 or six curves, which I then scaled and rotated, and used the move tool on to fit in place. All basically manual moving, but with the IMM brush it went way quicker than other methods I've tried. I had a picture up, but instead of trying to match the image, I just sorta looked for how the curves flowed, and mimicked that.

Barnsey the skin shader is a modified version of Zbro's skin shader. He has some awesome ones on his blog.

Quick update, trying to figure out the jacket material definition, also seems like the actual shader is going to be hard too. Jacket was inspired by two pieces of concept art I found on CGHub:

7Y8xRqm.jpg

ToBCNCs.jpg
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    I'm loving this aldready. Can't wait to see how this hair turns out!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks Marie. I was hoping to save this concept for a certain possible informal civilized challenge, but I needed to do something fun and challenging design wise for awhile. Not sure how fast I will be but now I've started I will have to finish.
  • arcitecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arcitecht polycounter lvl 6
    Just saw this on FB, really good. I like how you did her lower lip and jaw/chin, looks cool. Look forward to seeing where you take the design, so far it looks pretty cool with the badass 80's shoulderpad jacket :D
  • Eithne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eithne polycounter lvl 7
    is from this morning that I opened this page on my desktop! I love it! And the hairs...oh my god...!
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    She's looking great :)
    Looking forward to see this develop and what you will do with the clothing.
  • Delira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delira polycounter lvl 4
    I really like the proportions + she's really pretty ^^
  • AlphaMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the hair, it makes her look like a different character from each side.
  • Pisciel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is so pretty! Love how you've made her hair and can't wait to see it done. It would be awesome to see your workflow for both the hair and wrinkes in the clothing. Looking really great and keep up the good work!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks guys. There honestly wouldn't be much of a workflow to the hair, but if it does turn out okay in-engine, I will do a small write-up, although I can tell it's going to need some re-ordering to not make it look too noisy.

As for the clothes, I tend to use clay buildup and the move tool, and then for the wrinkles I use the slash brush with the focal shift set to zero.

Here were some quick concepts I did tonight for the clothes. I like B, C and F the most, but input would be greatly appreciated.

rUdlblp.jpg

Close up:

naPTiU1.jpg
  • TheGoozah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice!! I'll keep an eye on how this progress!
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    And subscribed
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    nice nice nice.
    psyched to see how the hair turns out in engine :)
    as for the cloth i think i would keep it simple and go with F
  • SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f with cloth underneath... just a rim around the bottom of the chest plate really
  • Abrvpt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Nice work as usual =)
    Yeah I'll pick F too, with some stuff to break the symmetry on the body.
  • Stinkfoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkfoot polycounter lvl 11
    Aye I like F as well, but why not bare breasted like the original shots, let them run wild and free!
  • Pisciel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like F or E. Her belly needs something on F though, as SA_22 said, something underneath the chest piece.
  • EnDivine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EnDivine polycounter lvl 11
    Bottom G, upper F. I think its best combo :D
  • wretchedgoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wretchedgoat polycounter lvl 8
    I like E, since she'll have the crazy haircut that puts the focus on that area. I think it's the subtlety that pulls me to E, a smooth/elegant piece of tech on the head. Especially if she's going with the alien guy who's pretty busy and looks like a brute, she should be a little more sophisticated. The knee high boots are good too.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    I like F the best. There is something very nice about it's simplicity.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    this is really cool man, her face looks great and the cloth folds on her jacket look spot on.

regarding your clothing options, it's hard to know what exactly you're trying to go for with the blue sci-fi esque part, i think you need to concept that up more first. regarding her character, what are you trying to go for? if you're trying to go for a kind of normal person in a sci-fi neuromancer type universe then you need to think of some cool bit of clothing to make her look sci fi, so good luck with that!
  • eeb.adm.mod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eeb.adm.mod polycounter lvl 7
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KristaW polycounter lvl 9
    I love the hair! I will keep watch for a write up if you do one. My vote is on E
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    G or H.

Have you tried putting the armour over her top/jacket? With a different layout maybe, with spinal protection or something like that.

I really like those shoes :D
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i would go for D, but the shirt has to be made of this:

P1040248.JPG
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    G. The scifi stuff doesn't work with the very natural/comfortable feel of the character, and doesn't really feel like part of the design anyway. The hair is great, I wouldn't put anything else to add interest on the head besides that. I wouldn't worry about putting anything overtly scifi into the design, she's working too well without it, and the silver jacket is more than enough. (think blade runner or fifth element scifi, not mass effect)
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    The scifi stuff doesn't work with the very natural/comfortable feel of the character, and doesn't really feel like part of the design anyway.

Yeah, I can understand that POV. It's hard for me too because I see what I have now, and I don't really want to disturb it by adding extra elements, but at the same time the universe that she is supposed to exist in is a bit more 'cartoon sci-fi' than 'realistic sci-fi', right now we're trying to find a balance between the two.

The girl is also supposed to have a bit more of a 'hacker' sensibility, rather than a fashion sensibility, so it would make sense with her that she is proud of the hardware element of her getup. Not sure how I'm going to handle that.

One thing I've learned is that when I come up against a difficult problem like that, if I put enough time and effort into finding the best solution, if the solution is good enough, it becomes the best part of the design. I'm hoping that's how this goes.

I've also met this reaction at most stages. The first round a couple people told me 'keep her bare-chested', rather than clothing because the 'anatomy is so nice', which obviously doesn't work. And now in the second round she has clothes, and I've heard from several people and now yourself, 'don't add the tech', because the outfit is so simple.

But I do get your POV, and hopefully I can come up with something that fits her design better.
    i would go for D, but the shirt has to be made of this:

Ha. If I ever do a sci-fi street walker I am going to do that. Actually one of my refs has something very similar.

This is a concept by Maciej on CGHUB:
    http://cghub.com/images/view/697869/

This I assume was his inspiration, from blade runner:
    http://www.alicia-logic.com/capsimages/br_020JoannaCassidy.jpg

I originally did the short jacket you see at the beginning of this thread, with the shoulder pads puffed out and the collar. Then I found this concept which merged the shoulders with the arms much better, so I used that idea to seperate them out. Like the fish-net you posted, he found a really cool way (from blade-runner) to continue the short design of the jacket in a pretty explicit, but well designed way. He's an amazing artist.

Now that I look at it though I feel a bit insecure that I took too much from the concept. I had already picked out the rest of the design and material, but with the shoulders they are very similar. Would like to know how others feel, I don't really want to encroach on anyone.
    it's hard to know what exactly you're trying to go for with the blue sci-fi esque part, i think you need to concept that up more first. regarding her character, what are you trying to go for? if you're trying to go for a kind of normal person in a sci-fi neuromancer type universe then you need to think of some cool bit of clothing to make her look sci fi, so good luck with that!

Thanks Mr. Ace. Yeah finding a good balance is the challenge right now. I loved neuromancer, and I've been following that 'aesthetic' in my mind, thinking about the mix of tech and fashion etc. She's not really a Molly type of character, much more warm than that, but something in that universe would be great.
  • Pisciel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the head piece, but I think something smaller and more "simple" would suit her since her hair already keeps her head area quite busy. If she's some kind of neuromancer, maybe give her some simple design that goes with her hairstyle, perhaps just circuits or small sockets of some kind just to add interest on the shaved side.

I like her high boots the most I think. You could give them some more sci-fi-ish look to go with the rest. I really like the simplicity of just a top on her chest, but F works really well too. I still personally think she needs some shirt/tank/cloth sitting under the chest piece.
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Nice start:) I too don't think she needs much more, especially anything too complex. If she's a hacker, you could do something simple with a clean design to her hands and or face, but nothing too extreme to overpower the composition you already have
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    hahaha all i meant was... covering up that cool looking body armour is a crime! but the body armour on its own is a little boring.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks for the advice Endomi, I think you're right, that maybe finding a simpler way to do the sci-fi elements would be better design. Appreciate it.

Lee, I mistook you. I thought you meant the fishnet over bare skin. Having it over the metal stuff would actually be pretty cool. Although with Endomi's comments, I might be looking for a way to simplify those bits now. Appreciate your feedback.

____

A boot. Done today and yesterday. In Marmoset2, my first real project for it. I did nothing for the beta, which I felt horrible about, but I had other stuff going on. It's this girls boots (or a test of them).

jrKvvEr.jpg
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Really nice.

It's strange but I feel like in all the TB2 screens I see, everything looks a bit plastic, no matter the material : skin, leather, metal, etc... well maybe it's just because people are not still used to it.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Loving this character already, looking forward to see how it goes.

Hope you don't mind but I did a quick paintover idea for the top. I was thinking that since the jacket was very open there was nothing at the front and everything on the sides, so did the opposite for the shirt part. Just an idea.

c8hf.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Worked up a sorta simple hand design. Had a good time with the hard surface but I need more articulation in the fingers.

Mongrel I like it.

Tex, I think at least for me that's because I haven't figured out the best setting for gloss/spec. Some differentiation there would probably help me. Thanks for pointing it out.

2UNVB7X.jpg

soexWTi.jpg
  • avj_l
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • denz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! Everything is looking great, love the face. Personally I like the tech piece wrapping around, strikes me as quite unique, but I prefer without the gold necklace like in the close up. Feel it's making the design a bit noisy.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    I see you are going with F? that was my favorite shirt idea. I think the boots are cool but instead of the floral canvas, maybe go with some plastic or metal? That would really tie the pieces together.
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
    Looking awesome dude!
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    Dat robotic hand, I digs it a lot!
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    I like the robotic forearm Ysalex, I'd personally like to see it go beyond the elbow though and up through the sleeve suggesting that her entire arm is robotic. For me at the moment I'm not the greatest fan of her elbow area breaking up that metallic flow.

Good work, also the boots look top quality.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Just testing things out,

md3kCNj.jpg
  • RobSamuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks fantastic, where did you render this last image?
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    dude! congrats she looks gorgeous
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    It's in vray, I'm having trouble with learning marm2 so I'm testing some things out.

EDIT: I'm just going to edit in the picture here since I only made minimal changes.

6WeL0Wp.jpg
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
  • MrsNomingtons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrsNomingtons polycounter lvl 11
    ysalex wrote: »
    soexWTi.jpg

Hey man! This looks so awesome, I've been seeing it on the lunchcrunch group a lot as well and she's super badass. The boots are kind of looking like a strange choice at the moment, they stray away from her futuristic hip hop diva and go towards country. I think the hi tops you were going for looked more fitting for her overall style. Something like the kicks that Jeremy Scott does is what I see her in. But of course this all goes back to you :)

A few ref pics for Jeremy Scott

adidas-originals-jeremy-scott-instinct-hi-august-2012-600x589.jpg

Adidas_Jeremy_Scott_JS_Wings_2.0_Volt_Green_High_Tops.jpg

jeremy%20scott%20x%20adidas%20JS.jpg

adidas-Originals-Jeremy-Scott-JS-Wings-2.0-3M-1.jpg