Home General Discussion

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Replies

• Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    It's kind of already established that Superman does not care about killing people and has already killed thousands.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Not so sure about that... It's established that thousands died, but not because he was the root cause. He was fighting against a small Kryptonian army that wanted to exterminate the human race, i'm sure even humans would consider a couple of thousands "acceptable" collateral damage in that instance.

It's not like he went out of his way to make sure they died, he was just too busy to save them all.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    It's not like he went out of his way to make sure they died, he was just too busy to save them all.

You saw the movie. You should be well aware of the innumerable plot holes and inconsistencies. It would be a waste of time for me to list them all here. (this was a Zack Snyder film, after all)

Suffice to say, the Superman portrayed in that movie was kind of a dick. Definitely not a beacon of hope, or an exemplar of personal restraint. And it was extremely odd that he spent far more time in the movie fighting, than he did trying to save anyone. This is Superman, you'd expect him to try to move any fight he's in to a less populated area. That's superhero 101, especially for someone who punches people through buildings.

Instead, they spend an enormous amount of the film's run-time duking it out in the middle of heavily populated environments, just because it looks cool. This happens even when Superman's enemies have been whittled down to just one guy. (much more manageable for the whole, "let's move this fight somewhere less populated" strategy)

And at the end of the film, Superman's solution is to kill all of his enemies. Literally, all of the villains in that movie die horribly, despite being the last vestiges of Superman's own species. The ultimate solution for the beacon of hope is to kill everyone.

Abandon all hope Gir. The Superman movie you're hoping for just isn't going to happen. Not anytime soon.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    It didn't seem to me, like he had any real options, when fighting them. They were fixated on the city, for their machine, and Superman had to go to them. If he would have flown off, they would have just been relieved. The only threat they had, just flew off. And superman did not overpower them enough, to throw/carry them to a new location.

I really don't get this constant argument, suggesting that he intentionally fought them in the city. Let's also not forget, that's his first battle... ever. Now that he has had time to reflect, maybe he'll be smarter about it the next time.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    Now that he has had time to reflect, maybe he'll be smarter about it the next time.

This is wishful thinking. Let's not forget how he reacted to spy drones flying over his fortress of solitude. Pancaking them in the front of a moving vehicle is great for making a threatening statement. It is not great for making a rational or reasonable statement. It is also a huge waste of money, especially when you consider what kind of power is at the disposal of the person destroying the drone. This event happens in the movie after Superman's first battle. Again we see him react with violent force instead of rational thought.

He could have easily just shown up outside of the general's office holding the drone, and make some fun quip like "You seem to have misplaced this." It would have been equally impressive, without being threatening. Instead we get something that is clearly more motivated by appearance than character development.

That is what you can expect from Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice. Everything in that film is going to be motivated by splashing impressive visuals on the screen. It's going to be Jackson Pollock for CGI spectacle, with zero consideration for character development. That is going to count for Batman and Wonder Woman, as well as Superman.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    More like Batman > Superman.

Usually when they fight, I thought Batman always beats him.

:/

Especially considering this was based on DKR.

- Sonic Gun (Superman can hear clouds scrape so his ears asplode
    - Nuclear fallout blocking out sun
    - Gotham City's Electricity diverted to fry his brain
    - Mist synthesized to simulate radioactive properties of Kryptonite to put him away:

batman-vs-superman-the-dark-knight-returns-11.jpg
    armor-DKR-Superman-vs-Batman.jpg

Batman is pretty much Lex Luthor, except he's also a trained Ninja, a brilliant Scientist, and a sociopath.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    2209703ef8a2945350b77f771988fe98.jpg

"I'm done talking Clark, get out of my cave"
    3481985-0416101651-3-TDK.jpg
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is wishful thinking. Let's not forget how he reacted to spy drones flying over his fortress of solitude. Pancaking them in the front of a moving vehicle is great for making a threatening statement. It is not great for making a rational or reasonable statement. It is also a huge waste of money, especially when you consider what kind of power is at the disposal of the person destroying the drone. This event happens in the movie after Superman's first battle. Again we see him react with violent force instead of rational thought.

He could have easily just shown up outside of the general's office holding the drone, and make some fun quip like "You seem to have misplaced this." It would have been equally impressive, without being threatening. Instead we get something that is clearly more motivated by appearance than character development.

Well, I guess everyone's view is different. IMO, 'violent' would have been throwing it into the hood of the car (In a way that immobilize them, but not kill them). I think, the way he did it, sent more of a message. Keep sending them, keep wasting money. If he delivered it to the general, they would have just sent it back up. Sure, either way, it was a threat, but I don't think in an "or else" kind of way.

Maybe I'm just more hopeful, that they'll take the criticism, from the first movie, and make adjustments. Personally, I enjoyed the first one. Sure, I had some gripes about it, but I didn't expect perfection, just like I don't when I watch any other super hero flick.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just more hopeful, that they'll take the criticism, from the first movie, and make adjustments. Personally, I enjoyed the first one. Sure, I had some gripes about it, but I didn't expect perfection, just like I don't when I watch any other super hero flick.

Yes, you are definitely more hopeful. I only fear that you are going to be badly disappointed, and am doing what I can to temper your expectations.

I don't demand perfection from my films either. I don't hold super hero films to a different standard than any other film. But I don't think they have to be flawless to be entertaining.

However, there is a very large difference between perfection, and completely botching the tone. The high points of Man of Steel were all in the visual presentation. The low points were in the tone, the plot, the script, the dialog, basically everything that wasn't the visuals. And even the visuals could have benefited from a different palette.

I don't demand perfection, but I at least expect them to be in the general vicinity of the ballpark where some of those other elements are concerned. And if the recent previous Warner-Bros DC films have been anything to go on, you can understand why I might be leery of this latest outing.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    You saw the movie. You should be well aware of the innumerable plot holes and inconsistencies. It would be a waste of time for me to list them all here. (this was a Zack Snyder film, after all)

Suffice to say, the Superman portrayed in that movie was kind of a dick. Definitely not a beacon of hope, or an exemplar of personal restraint. And it was extremely odd that he spent far more time in the movie fighting, than he did trying to save anyone. This is Superman, you'd expect him to try to move any fight he's in to a less populated area. That's superhero 101, especially for someone who punches people through buildings.

Instead, they spend an enormous amount of the film's run-time duking it out in the middle of heavily populated environments, just because it looks cool. This happens even when Superman's enemies have been whittled down to just one guy. (much more manageable for the whole, "let's move this fight somewhere less populated" strategy)

And at the end of the film, Superman's solution is to kill all of his enemies. Literally, all of the villains in that movie die horribly, despite being the last vestiges of Superman's own species. The ultimate solution for the beacon of hope is to kill everyone.

Abandon all hope Gir. The Superman movie you're hoping for just isn't going to happen. Not anytime soon.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl_5UwS57X8[/ame]

relevant. kinda.
  • littleclaude
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    relevant. kinda.

Ahhhh, if only, Gir, if only.

The Bruce Timm-helmed DC animated series continue to be one of the best interpretations of DC comic characters in existence. Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, and the Justice League series are all fantastic and well-worth revisiting, even today.

Holding up examples like that only makes me mournful for how bad the recent DC live-action movies have been. Can you even imagine if someone over at Warner Brothers wised up and got the heads of the animated creative team from that era to collaborate on a live-action film? Or even just a big-budget animated feature? That would be something to see!
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    The end of that trailer was just all kinds of goofy.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    They still need to get Wonderwoman and fish guy involved amongst all of this infighting. I'd suspect they're going to need to get all of their punchyness out of the way early and then start pulling together the Justice League to face whatever the bigger threat happens to be.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Superman is a stupid character. All the movies have been bad. Why do people think this will be good or would ever want this to be a thing?

The only good Superman anything was Smallville where he was still discovering his powers, didn't have them all and was still fallible.

I believe this will be the start of the donwfall of Superhero movies. Its now turning out to be all these mega obscurse charaters only hardcore fans know and care about. Plus half of every film is just setups for the next movie of joint movie.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Its now turning out to be all these mega obscurse charaters only hardcore fans know and care about.

And that's different from normal, non-comicbook movies that are based on characters that absolutely no one knows anything about?

I don't think the casual audience knew a lot about Guardians of the Galaxy going in to it. Even people who pull comics weekly but don't follow GotG itself probably knew very little about the characters. But that didn't get in the way of the movie, or prevent people from caring about them by the end. I suspect Ant-Man will be similar, along with several other characters.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, "Guardians of the Galaxy" is the ultimate counterpoint to Autocon's point. I knew nothing about that franchise or those characters. LOVED the movie and it was a huge hit...
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now Aquaman - there's something to complain about and wonder how that will ever be cool. I get that they got an awesome dude to play him but ... it's still Aquaman.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    Autocon wrote: »
    Superman is a stupid character. All the movies have been bad. Why do people think this will be good or would ever want this to be a thing?

i don't like superman either, but hes going to be the villain, so thats going to be fine i gues.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Superman is hard because he's effectively a god. But then, so is Thor and I like those movies...
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    well, the difference there, is that Thor is a god in a universe of gods of varying power. Superman is alone in his level of godhood (in the DC universe).
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After reading Kingdom Come I have found that Superman is a very interesting and dynamic character who has a lot character flaws that allow for great drama without resorting to kryptonite. But I do think the films have yet to do his character right.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Mstankow wrote: »
    After reading Kingdom Come I have found that Superman is a very interesting and dynamic character who has a lot character flaws that allow for great drama without resorting to kryptonite. But I do think the films have yet to do his character right.

Exactly.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Yeah, "Guardians of the Galaxy" is the ultimate counterpoint to Autocon's point. I knew nothing about that franchise or those characters. LOVED the movie and it was a huge hit...

Ah totally valid point. I knew nothing about Guardians and LOVED it. But guardians didn't feel like a comic book movie. No one was a comic book hero in the sense that they had some stupid super power, no one was wearing some stupid looking captian america outfit.

It was just a good sci fi flick that felt believable. Guess thats why Ironman and Batman are seen as the best of there respective Marvel/DC franchises as they feel real, they feel believable.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    It was just a good sci fi flick that felt believable. Guess thats why Ironman and Batman are seen as the best of there respective Marvel/DC franchises as they feel real, they feel believable.

Believable isn't the right word. I don't know about you, but I don't go to the movies for realistic anything. I actively prefer my movies to be as unrealistic as possible. While I understand making concessions for suspension of disbelief, I like fantastic elements that have no place in the real world.

I think what you really mean is that those characters are more "relate-able." While exploring the emotions and perspective of someone who can fly and punch through buildings is an interesting creative exercise, it's not really something that the average person on the street can really wrap their head around.

The non-super-powered heroes like Iron-Man or Batman are more relate-able to the average Joe. Their flaws and struggles are something they can get.

That was another element I liked about Guardians of the Galaxy. Everything in that movie took fantastic characters and made them more relate-able. Star-Lord was a capable guy, but he also kept messing up, stumbling, and getting bumped and bruised. Things didn't magically go his way all the time for the sake of plot convenience. They weren't afraid of making things a bit more rough for the characters.
  • ArtisticTiger
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I'd suspect they're going to need to get all of their punchyness out of the way early and then start pulling together the Justice League to face whatever the bigger threat happens to be.

justice-league.jpg
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was another element I liked about Guardians of the Galaxy. Everything in that movie took fantastic characters and made them more relate-able. Star-Lord was a capable guy, but he also kept messing up, stumbling, and getting bumped and bruised. Things didn't magically go his way all the time for the sake of plot convenience. They weren't afraid of making things a bit more rough for the characters.

I think this is why the good Superman stories work so well. Because Superman thinks he is right and the right way but he is actually screwing up big time from poor foresight. I think Batman v Superman needs to play this up and just acknowledge that Superman screwed up big time. Nobody should be his friend after that first movie.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Believable isn't the right word. I don't know about you, but I don't go to the movies for realistic anything. I actively prefer my movies to be as unrealistic as possible. While I understand making concessions for suspension of disbelief, I like fantastic elements that have no place in the real world.

I think what you really mean is that those characters are more "relate-able." While exploring the emotions and perspective of someone who can fly and punch through buildings is an interesting creative exercise, it's not really something that the average person on the street can really wrap their head around.

The non-super-powered heroes like Iron-Man or Batman are more relate-able to the average Joe. Their flaws and struggles are something they can get.

"relate-able" is indeed a far better word choice and indeed more twoards what I meant.

I love a great suspension of disbelief but if I cannot relate to the characters enough then I just cant get invested too much into there plight and struggle. To much of, oh come on dude you can fly and stop bullets, stop crying and being a little bitch! haha :p

I feel I could relate more to the Na'vi of Avatar or Bane from Batman more than I could to Thor, Aquaman, Scarlet Witch, Captain America and so forth.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    oooooh snyder tweets another goody
    bvs-2.jpg?w=800&quality=85&strip=info
  • nervouschimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nervouschimp polycounter lvl 4
    Batman suit looks like it was crafted by a 3rd grader with the help of his mom and her sewing machine in that pic. Pouty-face just makes the image even more silly looking. But it's B&W, so it's edgy!
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And some color, I'm loving the different looks so far.
    11154760_579261362176747_7004253236770036961_o.jpg?w=800&quality=85&strip=info
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    who needs a neck?
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    watched Man of Steel this past weekend again, had only seen it once in the theater. Enjoyed it more the second time! Excited for this movie :) These images of Batman are awesome, so stoked.

Hoping the next trailer is from Superman's perspective with ominous VO about Batman.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Batman is looking kind of hungover.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    So did they just throw his ability to turn his head out the window? I'm tired of these stupid overly-sculpted cowls.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Shiniku wrote: »
    So did they just throw his ability to turn his head out the window? I'm tired of these stupid overly-sculpted cowls.
    Kd5hoKT.jpg
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing I always find funny, is how the cowl always requires black makeup, around the eyes. So I guess batman always stops, to throw some makeup on? And it magically disappears, when the mask is taken off.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku wrote: »

Some time ago they told everyone about how he could fully move his neck now. That was like the first thing they took care of lol, didn't want the problems from previous bat suits etc.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah I heard that as well, but everything we've seen so far.. it doesn't really look like it could bend well. Hope I'm wrong.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    It's not really his suit. It's a full body cast.
    ss_18694507_broken_arm_cast.jpg
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Official Promoart/conceptart of the batsuits...Awesomeness
    JMAmoIC.jpg
    KzRAf4B.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    ...If you can see the muscle so clearly with the suit on, surely we can see his junk clearer than that <_<' Unless it's steel underwear.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    I imagine for crime fighting he might have a Bat-jock strap or something.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    ...If you can see the muscle so clearly with the suit on, surely we can see his junk clearer than that <_<' Unless it's steel underwear.

Are you disappointed? (Waits for someone to photoshop a wang in)
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone else not particularly impressed with the concept art? This is how it's done:
    latest?cb=20140605160058
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hitmon - Yeeeah, I was thinking the same thing. Kinda weak concepts to be honest. :P The one you posted looks more like it ...
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed. Nothing against the artist of course, but I just don't like the direction they ended up with. Way too simplistic in my opinion.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'm guessing they're going with a more simpler look like the standard/classic comic look etc,
    less armor/metal. Also bats always looks creepy in real life with his eyes showing, wish they would incorporate the white eyes one day.
    3356404-batman+suit.jpeg
    I like the one HitmonInfinity shared better, but i love the simpler one as well.. :D!!Then again I'm just weird so don't mind me lol.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I don't actually mind the regular Batsuit that much, even if the texture is a little funny. I'm all for the Dark Knight Returns look. The power suit is the one that could have used more updating in my opinion.