Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi Female

Replies

• arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses polycounter lvl 13
    First time I dropped in here.. gotta say I really dig her face. Beautiful while also being very ethnic and unique. Lots of personality. Great job!
  • pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pongstah polycounter lvl 12
    amazing realism. the pose look very natural
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Gold or Blue? Some updated bits.

kEW3Hko.jpg

fkh8Gv1.jpg

Better shot of the arm. Part of it is decimated and has no real color/detail because it was too many parts to bring into the main character file:

8gt4v8V.jpg
  • Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    This is looking great! I prefer the blue because the gold seems to blend with the skin and kind of gets lost. Maybe you could give a trim of gold on the blue
  • future-fiction
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    future-fiction greentooth
    Really love this so far, I vote gold just to be awkward, it makes a really nice unified colour palette. Hard surface is looking really nice too!
  • RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    I would go with the blue. If you want gold incorporated, use it as an accent color. Perhaps as a subtle trim or pattern?

As it stands now, the gold makes it hard to read some of the forms and details.
  • MooseCommander
    Awesome as usual, man.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Someone posted some different colors and patterns in the WAYWO thread, I think they're worth considering, changes it up quite a bit. Here's a direct link: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146362&page=13
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
    F***ing DIG!
    I don't usually care for this kind of stuff but I loves it. Subbed to see where it goes!
    Kick ass!
  • Dmellott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dmellott greentooth
    I recognize that brand of mason jar that she has in her hand. Not that it's an exclusive type of jar to the east or anything but would you happen to be from Pennsylvania haha?
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Nope, from the west coast, just googled "mason jar" though haha so I definitely believe you.

Going to go into low-poly and realtime now:

ViAo9HF.jpg

hbxqwxl.jpg

fJ39TfM.jpg
  • Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chantel-sky polycounter lvl 3
    This is looking awesome, definitely needs some scarring as suggested by DemonPrincess.
    Would you mind telling me how you did the cloth? and did you use a material for the skin or paint it on? It's a really nice color :)
  • pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pongstah polycounter lvl 12
    hi ysalex, my pick is gold, I think it compliments her skin color nicely
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Coat is marvelous designer, rest is just zbrush. Skin is just painted no real trick, eyes are projections.

As for the scarring, a couple people suggested it so I suppose I should say that I get what you guys mean, and I can see how scarring would help transition the arm from flesh to metal with a bit less of a jarring stop.

I didn't put it in for a couple of reasons, mostly coming down to personal preference, so I'm sure people will disagree with me and I could definitely be on the wrong side of this.

But 1) most amputees don't have visible scarring above the prosthetic. When a limb is damaged they tend to sever the limb above the damage to ensure healing, and typically prosthetics have a bowl into which the limb fits, so any remaining trauma is sometimes hidden. 2) I made sure there is space enough for a bowl that the remaining part of the limb, plus a pin system to attach it, could fit in. 3.) it seems overly dramatic to assume that any limb amputation is the result of a horrific accident leaving a person scarred. Infection is a more common reason for it. Just my opinion on it, but I have a relative with a prosthetic so maybe that clouds me a bit. I definitely agree though that the arm just seems to stop, and provides a somewhat abrupt transition, which I might need to solve another way.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Some realtime hair, I hate hair but this style has been at least a little fun. Looking back my pipeline was sort of bloated for no reason, I should simplify it. I was using vray and Nhair in Maya to bake the alpha and diffuse and spec, but it was unnecessary, since the strands have to be so thick for the realtime alpha, you could probably get the same result baking thicker fibermesh strands, or drawing them by hand.

Anyways, about 1/2 way mark lots of fixing and need to add more to the back to make it all work.

DHv2Q8P.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
  • Spatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    hi ysalex... i love your work and i enjoy your updates ... but this time i have to say i loved this version of her face more ...

naPTiU1.jpg

and also i have to ask you something ...i can't understand why is her scifi ear so off? is there a reason for that ...i mean you are always practicing anatomy etc. and you are doing really well in my opinion... but why is her ear so far backwards rotated ?!? (from the frontview it looks ok)

i really hope you are not pissed off because i say that... just some feedback ...because you want to work further on her ... i would fix that before
  • Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Hey man, love that girl. I do prefer the current head myself. Those hair looks absolutely baller too, the result is great
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    I dig the previous face as well, it's cuter and unique. The current one is great too though and the hair looks very nice.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Its cool Spatz, I totally missed your comment before.

I liked the original face as well, I like this one too. I think I prefer the newer one specifically for this character, it has a better blend between the ethnicities (African and Korean), which I find interesting.

As for the ear, mine is probably rotated beyond the limits of the human range, but there are definitely people who at least challenge it a bit. Natalie Portman, for example, has an ear that is oriented more posterior. I totally understand your point though, its pretty extreme.

Natalie Portmans is actually rotated farther back than mine, but they line up fairly similarly.

der2IHO.jpg

_____

Anyways, here is the update, the low-poly is done (by Chris Bruin's expert hand), and I am redoing some detail work to incorporate into the bake:

xiViUGV.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Still working on the material definition, trying to pin things down has been fun, shes has a sort of late 80s vibe with the pants and the grungy coat. Everything is still WIP, most of the texture and materials have not been worked out yet, especially the coat, shoes, skin... which is basically everything but getting closer.

xELpN52.jpg
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    This is so Cool Ysalex. I love the Idea of her tattoo design. Is it something you came up with or where did you find your inspiration. I have never seen anything like it, but it is amazing! So super inspiring.

Just a thought though. When it is night (dark), maybe you shouldn't make her hair self illuminating. Because right now all the glowy stuff is battling for the attention. So in my opinion you should either remove the red from her right arm or make her hair not so glowy. As for me it is competing for the focus. Just my two cent on it. Super cool job never the less.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks man, it just happened while I was texturing and I liked it.

Point about the emissive overload is well taken, I will have to make sure its balanced in the end. Thanks!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Fantastic work!!

^_^
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Not quite finished but getting into the cleaning details and trying to get the material def. correct. Almost there.

yXgY3D2.jpg

vBJ6AGY.jpg

pPY5J3w.jpg

KA9c5s3.jpg

ahx4mhJ.jpg
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Amazing work, Yuri.