Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(UDK) Suburban Neighborhood

Hi everyone, been a while since I last posted.

This is a project I've been working off and on, so it's now where near complete.

Most of these renders are within UDK except for 2 which are from 3DS Max.

neighborhood1.jpg

Electric meter - 1,038 triangles
electricmeter.jpg

electricmeterwire.jpg

Gas meter - 5,336 triangles
gasmeter.jpg

gasmeterwire.jpg

High poly
gasmeterhipoly.jpg

House 1 - 4,769 Triangles (excluding light fixtures which are 998 tris)
1shouse.jpg

1shousewire.jpg

House 2 - 6,027 tris
2shouse.jpg

2shousewire.jpg

Here's a screenshot inside 3DS Max on how I was laying out the scene. The houses are actually prefabbed instances in UDK. As you can see, the sidewalk, excluding the corner, and road are unique meshes. I'm trying to keep those below 2,000 tris.
nbhlayout.jpg

At the moment, I'm currently learning how to make foliage since the scene can definitely use some trees and bushes.

Replies

• LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Really impressive dude. Tight textures. All well modeled. No crits from me.

I look forward to seeing it develop. Kinda reminds of the estate from arrested development and the start of dawn of the dead :)
  • Four6810
    Thanks for the comment.

Just a small update today. This was my first attempt at creating foliage, so any critiques would be appreciated.

The polycount is currently at 926. I can probably reduce it down a little bit down though.

shrub.jpg

A tileable leaf texture I made in ZBrush
    leafsdiff.jpg

leafstemcopy.jpg
  • Abdullah
    Amazing man. i love it.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    makes me think of Agrestic from Weeds
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work mate, looks rad.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looks good, but its missing the detail which makes it believable in the end.
    Try adding some mailboxes, electricity posts, put a ball on the grass etc

The colors do not work that perfectly, you are missing some contrast. Id make the grass a little darker, its really light, and the sky could be more interesting (well i know its the udk sky, maybe take another one)
  • FuzzYspo0N
    I think the textures on the houses need some variation, a single pattern of noise/stone would never sweep from the ground to the opposite side wall in one pattern. There are no breaks, no seams, no small details on the walls (yet) so it just looks like you projected a 2d texture on the uv map and called it a day :D

Houses in these kind of suburbia aren't all usually made of granite or stone, but combinations of things. The *entire* house being the same stone won't work as well as some stone, some wood, some clearer/solid colors painted walls etc. You should check out some references for ideas on variation.

The scene itself is looking pretty good, but right now the SCALE/zoom of the stone texture is too big. The pattern is visible, and across the whole house which makes it look unrealistic :)
  • Four6810
    Shrike - Indeed. Got those on my to-do list. As for the color, I might play around with color grading. I was thinking there was something a bit off with the grass, I'll darken it up a little bit.

FuzzYspo0N - Yeah, been procrastinating on the walls. The houses are based on the ones in my neighborhood.

Here's one of the refs I've been using. Also, just noticed I'm missing those little cylindrical things coming out the roof (vents?) Easy fix though.
    1shouse1.jpg

But yeah, the pattern is quite visible. I'll play around with this now that you've motivated me to get back to work on the walls. I'll add some dirt/discoloration since there is some on the house on the left in the reference.

Here's a screenshot of the stucco in the material editor.

stuccomat.jpg
  • krimzondestiny
    Little boxes on the hillside,
    Little boxes made of ticky tacky,
    Little boxes on the hillside,
    Little boxes all the same.
    There's a green one and a pink one
    And a blue one and a yellow one,
    And they're all made out of ticky tacky
    And they all look just the same.