Home Contests & Challenges Archives

MINI-GOLF contest 'Q&A' thread

Replies

• Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    I noticed the ball hit speed is totally dependent on the length of the pullback with no upper bound. So if you set the "Cam close distance" field higher (ie to see more of your level at once) then you automatically get higher powered strokes.

may want to fix the ball hit routine in mainLogic.lua to something like this:
    	-- perform logic click/touch is releases
        if self.clicks:GetTrigger("Release") > 0 then
    		if self.ballPicked == true and
    		   self.canHitBall == true then
    			self.BallLastHitPos = self.ball:GetPosition()

local Impulse = Vision.hkvVec3(self.finalTargetPos - self.ball:GetPosition()) * self.hitImpulse
          Impulse.z = 0.0
          local maxImpulse = Vision.hkvVec3(Impulse)
          if Impulse:getLengthSquared() > self.maxHitImpulse^2 then
              Impulse:setLength(self.maxHitImpulse)
          end

self.ballPhysics:ApplyLinearImpulse(Impulse)
    			self.ballPicked = false
    			G.strokes = G.strokes + 1
    		end

and of course add the self.maxHitImpulse field. A value of 12000 seems to work well compared to the default maximum hit distance pre-camera rotation. Actual maximum distance is about 6.5 meters that way.

Up to you, of course, but it might help keep some performance baseline across people's levels. :)
  • ufo.mesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ufo.mesh polycounter lvl 13
    After loading mini-golf project and Proxy_HoleSimle.scene log says that some shader effect named pointSmapleDiffuse.forward is missing. Is it ok?
  • Slayer89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayer89 polycounter lvl 10
    Fairly sure everyone has that warning in the log for that scene. It doesn't cause any problems though
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    Is there a way to stop vForge to auto generate the lightmap UV? Whatever I'm exporting as secondary uv set, vForge keep regenerate it's own uv lightmap...Or I didn't find the setting to assign the proper uv set...
  • Slayer89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I remember seeing a setting for lightmaps on the properties page of the asset

EDIT: Nvm, that's for rendered lightmap textures

2nd EDIT: Did you set the "Lightmap UV Set" field in the export settings as the UV channel for your lightmap
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayer89 wrote: »
    2nd EDIT: Did you set the "Lightmap UV Set" field in the export settings as the UV channel for your lightmap

Yup, I've set the name, the same as my lightmap name (using maya).
    I might try from max at some point, but I still have a lot of stuff to do on the map so...
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    Ez Meow,
    What version of maya are you running? When you go file export then switch to .vmesh you should see export options appear. If you are using an older version of maya then you may need see a button appear you need to press for options to pop up.

When it shows lightmap you will want to use the map channel you are using for lightmaps

For this you will then have to build a custom shader to use. You will notice there is a lightmap uv node. From there if lightmaps are generated in another program you can load in that texture and remove the lighting node.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I got all the maya side setup the right way. I was just thinking that the lightmaps
    generated with vForge would use those UV instead of repacking its own.
    Well thanks I'll see how I'm going to organize my workflow around that.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    guys , a little question

when i click on play the game , my cursor move so fast . how i can fix it ?
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    I have been playing around with trying to get a texture with an alpha to show up. Is there anything I need to do once its imported? Do I have to mess with the mobile shader at all? It doesn't seem to show up in the view port. There was mention of it being tagged as 24bit? but I didn't see anywhere to change this.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o wrote: »
    I have been playing around with trying to get a texture with an alpha to show up. Is there anything I need to do once its imported? Do I have to mess with the mobile shader at all? It doesn't seem to show up in the view port. There was mention of it being tagged as 24bit? but I didn't see anywhere to change this.

Did you try to set your color blending mode to "alphablending" in the visual shader editor?
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are two places to check, EzMeow covered the first one.

The second one is if the texture was first brought in and it was not alpha then later has alpha you need to go into the texture properties and mark it for alpha. You can do this by going to the asset browser, find your texture, right click, go to asset properties, then you will see a propety that says hasalpha, change that to yes.

-Ryan
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    guys , please someone answer me
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayou,
    The cursor just moves based off where your mouse location in the viewport is. If it is moving too fast then maybe it would be best to turn down the mouse sensitivity in your windows settings?
  • dschmidt3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dschmidt3d polycounter lvl 6
    Hey I am trying to convert my fbx files into the havoc files and get them converted correctly but then I don't know where they go and I can't find them. Is there a certain folder that they go to? All help appreciated.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dsch,
    The vision files will go where ever your FBX is located. From there you will have to manually copy them in your project. Textures will go into the texture folder. Then .vmesh, .vcolmesh will go into your Meshes folder. Finally .models and .anims will go into your Models folder :)
  • dschmidt3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay great. Thanks.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I was trying to make a mesh double sided in the material properties and it didn't work, is there somewhere else I need to be looking?
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow,
    It seems to work for me when using the MobileShaders effect library with diffuse effect applied. What effect library are you using?

-Ryan
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    m4dcow,
    It seems to work for me when using the MobileShaders effect library with diffuse effect applied. What effect library are you using?

-Ryan

I had just modified the point sample shader, in the project directory to give me unshaded vertex colours. I now realize when I use base data shaders double sided works for me. Is there anything in the base data shaders that will give me unshaded vertex colours?
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I was wondering what people are using to capture video of their levels?
  • Slayer89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used Camtasia
  • JamesR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used Camstudio 2.7 Its free and there are some Youtube videos on the settings which are helpful and then you may want to find some video editing software as well.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I used Open Broadcaster Software. www.obsproject.com/
    It's free and works great.
  • dschmidt3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey I am having trouble converting my files into vmesh models. When I use the FBXConverter it converts my fbx models into hkt instead of vmesh. Is there a setting I'm missing or a different converter that I need to send the hkt through?
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you try using the convert.py script in the scripts folder instead of the exe.
  • JamesR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you were using blender, try unclicking include animations checkbox in the fbx exporter options. It did the trick for me.
    What I don't know is how you can get it to convert to vmesh, use the interactive options and then the converter permanently changes its mind over what it wants to do.
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davidskiwan polycounter lvl 18
    Just wondering, can we use multiple UV and map channels? Also, is transparency supported in anyway?
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should be able to use the diffuse and lightmap UV in the visual shader editor for your need (I don't think we can use more than 2 UV set).
    As for the transparency setup, you should be able to find the info in this thread some post before~ :p
  • dschmidt3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just load the convert.py script into maya and run it from there?
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you are using Maya then you can use our havok content tools. You download it through the download manager then install it. The second video on the contest page covers this.
  • BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
    Was this comp being extended?
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Hello, so just a quick question I have noticed people using alpha is this correct can we use this? Looking at the guidelines I thought it was spec and diffuse? Could someone clarify please.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Original Question "Is there a way to exclude a mesh from the fog pass? I have a custom mesh for my background/skybox and don't want it affected by fog."

So I stumbled upon a solution, simply make a shader without the lighting node before the rgba output and it won't be affected by the fog pass.
  • Grindy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grindy polycounter lvl 10
    Sharvo wrote: »
    Hello, so just a quick question I have noticed people using alpha is this correct can we use this? Looking at the guidelines I thought it was spec and diffuse? Could someone clarify please.

Yes you can use alphas. Specs are similar to the VG Remix contest and we could use them for that one as well.
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I should have looked further back :P

I have another question though, in the LUA script for the ball there's 2 properties,friction and mass, can we edit these two properties? I'm trying to make some complex shapes for the ball the follow, but being low poly it's hard to do! If i could edit these just a bit so the mass is 0.8 and the friction is 0.3, it makes it a lot easier.
  • Grindy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pulled from an earlier page of this thread:
    Vailias,
    After talking this over we would prefer you do not mess with the mainlogic as we will have to merge this together. HOWEVER you are free to add any scripts on top of this to edit ball friction behavoir. If there is something missing from the main logic, we can evaluate adding it for you. But with ball friction that can easily be done in a side script.

Free of that you are free to change any values, properties, or exposed script values. Again if you are missing something from the Main logic hit us up!

Think it answers your question David.
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really should learn how to read >_<! Thanks, that makes my life a bit easier.
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Just a quick question, I think I read it somewhere but should ambient in the engine be set to white or black? I got mine on black atm and it looks fine and when its white, it goes a bit crazy.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    David: remember the collision mesh isn't counted in the total polycount for this contest.
    Make a lower poly render mesh, then make a much more complex and smooth collision mesh for the curvy parts. I had to do the same thing for some of the s-curves in my course.

Sharvo: yes set it to black. The ambient adds to the color in the texture so you get some serious overbright if you set it to white. This was mentioned in one of the videos.
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Hey Vailias, I thought I had got it correct must have been th tutorial but thank you for the confirmation on this. Much appreciated!
  • Grindy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone knows if there's a way to get the triangle/poly count from the engine? Much like the statistics in Max?

There's some stuff I duplicated in the engine. If not I'll just count them and multiply but... :P
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sadly there is no way to get that The engine only shows polys on the screen being render which can include passes like lighting or debug gizmos.

-Ryan
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ladyknowles polycounter lvl 7
    Hey,

I've been sorting out my triggers and when I make the trigger box for the reload script and run the game I get the error message

'Error in SetPosition (arg 2), expected 'hkvVec3 const &' got 'nil''

This only happens when I scale the trigger box. The trigger box that spawns the size it is doesn't cause the error,

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Grindy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When creating a shader is it better to create a new library or to use an existing one? Using the miniGolf library has caused me all sorts of problems today and I'm wondering if creating a new library for the new shaders might help?
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can create a new library right now there is a nasty bug that if all shaders can not be compiled or found then the whole library is broken.

-Ryan
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Can we include concept images as well in the final submission?
  • ufo.mesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ufo.mesh polycounter lvl 13
    Anyone can point me to particle system tutor? I placed particle group and trying to add smoke in particle editor but nothing shows up.