Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• sketch81
    Hi there, Great thread and I enjoy all the artwork posted by fellow artists. I recently finished a low poly mini cooper and would appreciate any crists. Thank you

minicooperfinalx.jpg
  • Michael Knubben
    Sketch81:
    Quite nice overall, but have you considered trying something different with the windows? Right now they really break the illusion, and just don't look as good as the rest. Your tires also look more like those on bikes, as if they have spokes. I realise it's very difficult to get them to be round with your uv-layout, but I do believe the diamond-shapes aspect to them is also making it look stranger.

In addition to those two points, how about some more pronounced lighting, and some highlighting to bring out the shapes? The lack of highlights is making the paintjob seem very diffuse, whereas carpaint is very shiny.
  • sketch81
    MightyPea, Thank you and I appreciate your tips on taking this model to the next level. Everything seems to make total sense, I'm just a little confused about the more "pronounced lighting". At the moment the model is only 100% Self-illuminated, would 3-point lighting be the way to go?
  • Michael Knubben
    Oh no, for this sort of thing, self-illuminated is the way to go! I meant to add some more lighting to the texture. Some more highlights and reflection, maybe?
  • sketch81
    Thanks for the help MightyPea, I'll make the necessary changes and then post some new updates. :) [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
  • GE_GRAZE
    heres a low poly model i did a while ago but never got round to finishing for the comp since i was moving to uni so heres it almost done just a few seams to fix. took about 4days to finish from scratch and its my first lowpoly character. i learnt alot from this experience and thought id share my model with everyone. he sits at 699tris and has a 256x256 diffuse. hes rigged but it was rushed becos i just wanted to see how my model would deform, controls are prety crappy but im not a rigging artist so sue me smile.gif btw his fingers do move but you have to select the bone. ive turned of filtering in the viewport as that is how you would see it ingame (or as close to). have fun goofing around or just analysing it. you will have to triangulate the mesh so when you deform it the texture want pop smile.gif

located in the rar will be:

orthographic views
    rigged model
    texture
    screengrabs
    obj

downlad the model:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/329723923/Po_character.rar

poorthos.jpg

podiffuse.jpg

poscreengrabs.jpg
  • Disco Stu
    Nice :D Post some animations!
  • MrMachete
    Just a small tree, going to hopefully do a few more and some other objects :)

treelayout.png
  • Calabi
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    paperunicorn.jpg
    220 tris.

Is it recognisable?
  • iWeReZ
    Do i see a llama o.o
  • Calabi
    Offline / Send Message
    iWeReZ wrote: »
    Do i see a llama o.o

Dammit, no!:poly127:

Its supposed to be a unicorn(origami) from the film Blade Runner.

I think you've picked out a problem though, the necks to long. Cheers.
  • ima
    Offline / Send Message
    ima polycounter lvl 8
    I thought it was a llama too lol.
  • Calabi
    Offline / Send Message
    That should be in the remake "Do androids dream of electric llama's."
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    definitely a llamacorn
  • syklonis
    I always thought all vertices had to be welded on models when you go to flatten a model for texturing? After looking over this thread I have noticed certain parts of some models posted that there seems to be "floating" parts to a model that aren't attached, handles, spikes on shields, etc. Is this acceptable? Or does this only matter to models that will be animated and not static placed environment models?

Thanks!!
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    this was an issue years ago and might still be an issue on some engines, buit basicly these days you don#t need watertight meshes
  • syklonis
  • OzMa
    It's 590 tris but... :P

meetthesentry.gif
  • bASEL
    I have been visiting this forum and thread quite a while now, and I am amazed by all your creations. This is my low poly model based on a GreyHound bus and inspired by Kenneth Fejer. It consists of 28 triangles and a 64x32 pixel texture.
    gh01_polycount.png
  • Deathead
    @OzMa: You could easily make that lower poly. Especially on the main turret area, you could easily just make it a seperate cylinder to the whole model, and the back part could also be easily seperated. It doesn't do much in terms of the looks of the model, but it will lower the polycount, possibly making it within the threads guidelines.;)
  • Michael Knubben
    Yeah, OzMa, if you can't get that below 500 with ease, I'd be very surprised!
    There are plenty of verts that don't contribute to silhouette at all (smoothing really isn't an issue at these specs, there will likely be minimal lighting on that), as well as detail that I imagine wouldn't be visible at all if you'd display this on lower screen-resolutions.

Basel: same thing. Nice textures, especially that familiar dutch colour-scheme, but does that second bevel really contribute to the model at all? See if you can't use that budget to add side-mirrors or something!
  • SomberResplendence
    Just a little something i'm making for my jerb. Still a WIP..... for another 15 min. :)

securitycamera.jpg
  • raiskul
    Calabi wrote: »
    paperunicorn.jpg
    220 tris.

Is it recognisable?

hmmm maybe im just wierd but i saw a unicorn when i first looked at it :shifty: maybe it was the one horn on the head, but yeah the neck is to long, try making a real origami unicorn then model it. you can probly find instructions online.
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    raiskul wrote: »
    hmmm maybe im just wierd but i saw a unicorn when i first looked at it :shifty: maybe it was the one horn on the head, but yeah the neck is to long, try making a real origami unicorn then model it. you can probly find instructions online.

To me it looked like a lama first, because i didn´t see the horn:poly142:
  • Micah
    Offline / Send Message
    Micah polygon
    I really wanted to do a low poly model so i did this for fun, its not much but hey :)

2m6o0hh.jpg
  • conte
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Micah, lol man, share your weed!
    kidding, really fun idea.
  • NathanA
    Chunk O meat... let me know if you guys think this is meat looking enough. Going to be viewed from a decent distance so has to be pretty easily identified. 42 tris 64x64 D
    MeatSS.jpg
    a%3E
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    looks good, maybe try yellow instead of red on the darker bone part
  • NathanA
    True ZacD I forgot to do the ol squint your eye test :) This look any better?
    Thanks for the help.
    MeatSS2.jpg
  • LoTekK
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    The flared bone is making it look a bit fish-like when zoomed way out, silhouette-wise. Wouldn't a cut of steak be more recognisable?

Needs tweaking still. Celeste, from Mirror's Edge (the blonde runner). 492 tris

me-celeste1.jpg
  • 9skulls
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13
    I saw this photo of a Ford F-100 custom and started to think how cool it'd look if it was a) a monster truck and b) a low poly monster truck :poly124:

kaarafinal.gif

I think I'm quite satisfied with the model by now. Texture is still WIP, but I'm trying to achieve something similar seen in Doom 3 lol. If you ppl have any good ideas about what kind of texture would look cool on it, please share your ideas :) And c&c's are welcome of course!

[ edit ]
    And yes I know what you're thinking: I could've chopped off some tris from the tires, but I really wanted them to look that chubby :P And the flags + flagpoles could've been just planes with alphamask etc.
  • LoTekK
    Offline / Send Message
    WIN. Though if you're going to insist on the center edgeloop on the tires, at least inflate them a bit so they're contributing something to the shape. :p

Those flags should be confederate, lol.
  • 9skulls
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK wrote: »
    WIN. Though if you're going to insist on the center edgeloop on the tires, at least inflate them a bit so they're contributing something to the shape. :p
    Oo great idea, dunno why I didn't think about that earlier.. xD Btw, what would you suggest to do with the center area of the tire if I didn't use the center edge loop as you described?
    Those flags should be confederate, lol.
    Please explain more, didn't quite understand what you mean by that.. :poly122:
  • Michael Knubben
    9skulls: you don't know half of what I'm thinking ;)

For instance, what about the loop that goes from the front to the back? There are a few places there where you could shave off a few tris, where they're on a planar face! Same thing on the sides, you could eliminate large parts of that loop with no visible effect at all. This isn't a sub-d model, hehe.
    The vert in the middle of the tires isn't contributing either, unless you'd uv that part to tile around, ofcourse.

The shape is really cool, though! Have you considered exxagerating things a little bit? For instance, warping the shape of the body to be less symmetrical, and moving/rotating the tires around a little bit to create a more interesting silhouette?

edit:
    confederate-flag.jpg

http://www.adl.org/hate_symbols/racist_confederate_flag.asp
    :D
  • LoTekK
    Offline / Send Message
    There's that southern pride :p
    going along with pea's suggestion of giving the shape that extra bit of charm/personality, I'd totally suggest cambering the tires (tilt the base of the tires away from the chassis). The whole thing's already exagerrated, might as well go the whole nine yards with it :D
  • warby
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    Micah wrote: »
    I really wanted to do a low poly model so i did this for fun, its not much but hey :)

2m6o0hh.jpg

frylock2.jpg

sorry ... but i had to :D
  • 9skulls
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update:

kaarafinal2.jpg

Finished the texture, changed the tires so that that they bulge inside a bit and are also rotated slightly. Chassis was also made a little bit more fatty :P

If you like you can drive around with it here [demo].

Personally I like the Micromachines V3 -vibe :poly142:
  • Snipergen
    Awesome monster truck! In unity your flags aren't 2sided though.

VROAAMMMM. This is a very very fun way to show off the model, I assume it's pretty easy to set something like that up in unity?

And maybe make the tires less blue/greenish. :)
  • 9skulls
    Offline / Send Message
    Snipergen wrote: »
    Awesome monster truck! In unity your flags aren't 2sided though.
    Thanks mate! :poly124: I know I know, I still haven't found how to "enable" 2 sided faces in Unity :x
    VROAAMMMM. This is a very very fun way to show off the model, I assume it's pretty easy to set something like that up in unity?
    Yeah it's super easy, you should give it a try! It does need some scripting but that ain't too hard :)
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    9skulls wrote: »
    Thanks mate! :poly124: I know I know, I still haven't found how to "enable" 2 sided faces in Unity :x

Yeah it's super easy, you should give it a try! It does need some scripting but that ain't too hard :)

Just duplicate it and invert it so there's 2 planes there with opposite normals.
  • Jakten_hizeme
    That's really awesome 9skulls, I love the amount of character it has. It's fun to drive too! Was it hard to make it operate in unity? I think that would be a really neat way to show case models.

I've got a model that's been laying around for a bit that was for a prototype DS game that didn't take off. This would be my first work I've made that wasn't just for fun or learning :D. I think the polycount was 138.

Newcar02-1.gif
    Picture1-10.png
  • 9skulls
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jakten!
    Was it hard to make it operate in unity? I think that would be a really neat way to show case models.
    It may be a bit confusing at the beginning, but once you get to know Unity it'll be easy as hell to operate it :D And yes, it's a cool way to show off your 3d-models. Gives a way better view to your models than bare screenshots.
    I've got a model that's been laying around for a bit that was for a prototype DS game that didn't take off.
    Man it looks good and clean :D Those dark outlines distract me a bit though, maybe use some lighter color..? :)
  • LoTekK
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks quite awesome, though I reckon giving the wheels negative camber would look better.
    Btw, the directional controls seem flipped when reversing :p
  • GE_GRAZE
    ok so heres a model i started today, texture stil early wip. will try finish it tommorrow. ive used a 256x256 for the character and he sits at 534tris.

marcusfenix.jpg
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    superquickie torchlight weapon, I've wanted to get something in game.

shatteredemberblade.jpg
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    looking good eld.

Do you have any documentation on the import process / model specs?
    i'm working on a weapon myself
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    MikeF, there should be a folder that comes with torched, containing documentation and example models and some pdfs
  • Draygo00
    Offline / Send Message
    Draygo00 polycounter lvl 9
    after lurking in the forums for some time, 9skulls monster truck (awesome work by the way) wet my apatite to create a low poly Grave digger with a cartoony flavor, after about 2 hours work (with smoke breaks), this is what i have so far:

350 tris & textures will be 128x128 4bit.
    GravediggerWIP.jpgc & c welcome.

will try and get the UV's sorted this afternoon, and maybe get a start on texturing :P
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    MikeF, Neox and LoTekK are doing some awesome stuff in the WAYWO thread, so I couldn't resist doing a Mirror's Edge quickie myself:

MECPF.jpg
  • Bummer6
    Offline / Send Message
    Bummer6 polycounter lvl 13
    Let's take every single model posted in this thread and cram them into a single huge crappy game. XD