Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pirate (WIP)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys making my 1st Game Character. Im used to sticking to Zbrush but I am wanting to get a job in the industry so with the guidance of some fellow artist I started making this guy.

Overall I think im mostly satisfied how this is coming out, I Have learned a lot from this this guy from what to do, what not to do, specially how to separate my UVs better! :/ redid that a few times.... anyways, tons learned, still got lots more to learn.

High poly done in zbrush.

PiratePolycount1.jpg

He is around 13k polys

screenshot001.png

screenshot002.png

screenshot003.png

Rip it apart please :)

Replies

• JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanLeigh polycounter lvl 9
    The sculpting is rreally good. I think the texture pulls it down abit. Some of the clothing is the same colour as his skin so it looks abit confusing. Also his skin seems really 'speckely' mainly on his arms, chest and torso. The skin shader might need some work, he looks abit metallic to me.

Also the eyes are really white and stand out to much, give them some shading in the corners and some colour maybe? Like pale reds and yellow, give him that 'piratey' look

Decent character though, just think those things need fixing up :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Turista, do you mind if we see the wires? I'm interested about what you're letting float or be contiguous.
  • Owlie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overall I think the sculpt is decent, I think his arms could use some more defining. He's a pirate so think all day he's hulling the mast, sailing, loading cannons, pumping bilges, or even holding as much treasure/loot as he can carry. His arms are going to be a bit muscular, I think it's important to remember what the character's career is beyond their clothes. I see you tried to do this a bit in the sculpt, but I also think you could push his abdomen a bit more. I don't think he needs a totally ripped six pack, but he does look a bit flat in that particular region as well, especially if you are choosing to cover his bellybutton.

As for the clothing design, it looks decent as a sculpt but the texture doesn't seem to make sense. It's hard to tell what exactly he's wearing. It almost looks like a captains jacket wrapped around his waist. But even that is a stretch. Think about the placement of the color and what material it is, and most importantly why it's the way it is. I can't really tell most of the fabric material. Also think about the color pallet, maybe if you are going with the brown, a different shade or give it an orange hue. This will help it be less muddied with the character's skin tone.
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Agreed with the other comments. Also, I might take another look at the wrinkled part of the striped brown/red material. It's hard to read what kind of fabric it is based on how it's wrinkling -- I think because it's not quite working how I expect fabric would.
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanx for the feedback guys. Ill get the wires here in a second. as far as the way he looks., i like it. Im looking for who made the concept to show you guys as well. I agree on the skin needs much work and overall textures as well. This is my 1st time texturing so was trying to do my best and of course learn as much as i can.

some of the clothing i agree with Owlie, not sure what those things are aither wrapped around him lol This project was about me learning Photoshop, and in general doing a complete game character rather then just as sculpt like im used to so with that said i followed the concept given to me. ill work on the skin today and work on fixing some of the tones for the clothing as well. :)

and wires wires... one sec.

wires.png
  • Owlie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep! Also, after seeing your wireframe: I really think you've done a good job optimizing it, the only thing I'd say about it is it seems your feet are really dense, and could use a good reworking.
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i actually noticed that when i posted it as well. compared to the rest it seems a bit to much. I am happy that i kept it under 15k even tho i really didn't have a budget but with that said, i also wish i could have made some other areas a little better.

the problem with the feet was that I had already finished them and they weren't as dense as they are now but i was told to redo them because the 1st one i made had the toes all together so i had to redo the foot sculpt and retopo and so on.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    TBH, 13-15k is super low for a character these days for portfolio work IMO. As long as you are helping the silhouette in a positive way, its normally worth the extra tri's. Some in-game characters these days running on the new consoles and top spec PC's are in the 90k range.
  • Owlie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r wrote: »
    TBH, 13-15k is super low for a character these days for portfolio work IMO. As long as you are helping the silhouette in a positive way, its normally worth the extra tri's. Some in-game characters these days running on the new consoles and top spec PC's are in the 90k range.

While this is true, that mostly only applies to bigger companies that have the means and budget to develop for PS4/XboxOne. For Artists building a portfolio I think it's important to be able to demonstrate good-looking modeling skills for low, med, and high poly in-game meshes in order to show off your skills as a modeler. Bottom line is, if you can make a really kick-ass looking character in a low range budget then they know you can make a very respectable high poly character. This is treading into opinion however, and this was meant for critique and helping with the character that has been given :)
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Definitely always a topic of discussion, but with the increasing hardware even on mobile , I have worked on games where we could have 300-400k+ tri's on screen at any given time with 512^2 textures. Soon enough mobile will support these higher res meshes, and companies are building software for the future and are looking for artists/developers for these future projects not for budgets of past projects. Just my personal opinion. At work, if an object needs 2k tri's to look a little better and isnt used 1000x in the same scene... It will get the 2k tri's. Tri's are dirt cheap compared to textures, I would rather an artist spend memory on a higher res mesh and than double texture size to make up for that lost detail.

Also with coming of VR, the need for higher res meshes will only multiply. Our current texture workflows will not be as effective when the player can view these meshes in 3D space in VR.

That aside, the character is really well optimized but there are distinct hard edges in the silhouette and only reason why I brought it up :) Think the cloth material needs some more work in the diffuse/albedo. Are you working in PBR or old school? The materials could use more definition through spec or cosine/reflection/gloss. Its all pretty flat. The sculpt is killer though, and for first time texturing.... Some serious potential here. Keep on pushing! Definitely coming along.
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Owlie wrote: »
    While this is true, that mostly only applies to bigger companies that have the means and budget to develop for PS4/XboxOne. For Artists building a portfolio I think it's important to be able to demonstrate good-looking modeling skills for low, med, and high poly in-game meshes in order to show off your skills as a modeler. Bottom line is, if you can make a really kick-ass looking character in a low range budget then they know you can make a very respectable high poly character. This is treading into opinion however, and this was meant for critique and helping with the character that has been given :)

agree with both! i know the budget just keeps going higher and higher and who knows what we will be allowed to have next but yeah just as important to show that you can still get that low (low) poly going lol.

:)
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r wrote: »
    That aside, the character is really well optimized but there are distinct hard edges in the silhouette and only reason why I brought it up :) Think the cloth material needs some more work in the diffuse/albedo. Are you working in PBR or old school? The materials could use more definition through spec or cosine/reflection/gloss. Its all pretty flat. The sculpt is killer though, and for first time texturing.... Some serious potential here. Keep on pushing! Definitely coming along.

thanx!!! :) like i mentioned before, learned a lot! so many things i WILL do different next time, with the high poly detail, retop, detailing, projecting, so many things i want to do better specially get some more practice texturing for sure! but as with any other thing, i really dont want to get hang up on this guy for ever, and tbh its already been plenty of time.

I am happy with it overall. I am happy that i was pushed by my friends to get out of my comfort zone ( zbrush ) and into other programs like Mamorset 2 and Max and PS and now Maya to start making some game meshes.

I will however spend a few more days on this to try and attend the points you all have made., :)
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    small update: had to go to the F-DMV today so half a day wasted but i did manage to get some work done =]

i worked on the skin a bit more, i gave it more :life: you can say. some more skin tones and less PURPLE... which im liking better now, redid the eyes as well, and added some different tones to some of the clothing as well.

anyways, back to figuring out the skin some more and not too happy with the eyes yet. might redo them again to see whats going on with them.

Update23jul.png
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanLeigh polycounter lvl 9
    The skin also looks pretty flat. Its be cool to give him more of a sweaty look since they'd be out in the sun alot.

Also, I'd go back to the high poly and improve his torso, make it more muscular, its too flat atm.

And yeh like you said the eyes still need some work, around the eye sockets its really dark yet the eyes are really bright.

Looks decent though especially for a first texture. Better off showing a full length render so we can see the changes to the cloth you made
  • Derbyshire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Derbyshire polycounter lvl 4
    I thought I recognized this pirate, it's coming along nicely Diego glad to see your finally branching out to texturing your awesome characters. The clothing asset texturing on him looks great and as a whole it is a huge improvement over just the mesh, definitely feels more alive and has more personality/character, looking forward to seeing some more, keep it up man!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Show us your textures.. You got AO and stuff baked.. Big no no in Marmo.. It looks like you need lower contrast in you albedo as well..
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanx again for the comments guys. ( hey phil buddy :) sent you a FB message )

I kept working on this dude the past 2 days and got some more improvements, I will post the new changes soon, looks better, clothing still a bit rough but better.

Went back into zbrush and sculpted the torso again adding some more detail for the bake to pick up and it came out nice.

Worked on the Metal Materials and Textures as well with the help of my roommate.

fixed some Normal, Spec, Gloss and Cavity map issues :)

anyways, coming out better. thanx again guys.
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pirate project has come to an end. its been really fun learning so much about making a game character, still lots to learn and i wish ( im lying ) i could go back and apply all that i learned but its time to move on and apply those things to my next model, so here it is, my 1st full game model happy with it.

screenshot004.png

screenshot003.png

screenshot001.png