Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[TB2] V1610 High-Speed Camera

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
beefaroni sublime tool
Hi everyone. After finishing my internship in 3D advertising, I think I may enjoy games more. I have a year left of college and am going to work on a game-ready portfolio for graduation. Here is my first asset.

Crits welcome. I will incorporate any into a environment I have planned. This model was kind of a warmup into the game asset PBR pipeline.

Tri count: 8159
Maps: 4K
Renderer: Toolbag 2

christopher-stone-side-clean.jpg?1406230415

christopher-stone-rear-clean.jpg?1406230396

christopher-stone-top-clean.jpg?1406230378

christopher-stone-side-wireframe.jpg?1406235440

christopher-stone-rear-wireframe.jpg?1406235607

christopher-stone-top-wireframe.jpg?1406235450

christopher-stone-texture-sheet.jpg?1406145432

Ref:

phantom-v1610-camera-xl.jpg

Replies

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    looking good, a strange subject with odd proportions tho
    Rubber came out great and materials in general look pretty authentic, although there is not much traditional wear

Some things;
    The bottom of the grip is super spiky even tho you could easily round it off by just
    moving those vertices up a bit
    The material of that red grip thing at the back dosnt read well and looks odd from the back screenshot

Edit: Material is probably fine, you could illustrate the metal better with some wear however, and the green is doing part of the hard to read thing.

If youre coming from a advertising background, then you should know how to present your objects in canvas space : P Use the space you have.
    Same for the UVWs, there a bunch of unused space left and a advanced 3d user, aka the guy reviewing you will notice in 0,03 seconds.

The background gradient is tasteful, but why do you go with the first best marmoset HDRI background that has strong green lighting while your background is blue ?
    Its making it look out of place, especially at the reflective back side.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Thank you for taking the time to critique!
    Some things;
    The bottom of the grip is super spiky even tho you could easily round it off by just
    moving those vertices up a bit

Ah, yea, good call. That'll be something to keep an eye out for in the environment. I was trying to keep true to the form though. Would it be bad to add more edges there to keep the silhouette?
    The material of that red grip thing at the back dosnt read well and looks odd from the back screenshot

I'll have to play around with the lighting some more. Do you think it reads well from any other angle or is it just the material itself? I'll play around with the lighting and see if I can make it look a bit better.
    If youre coming from a advertising background, then you should know how to present your objects in canvas space : P Use the space you have.
    Same for the UVWs, there a bunch of unused space left and a advanced 3d user, aka the guy reviewing you will notice in 0,03 seconds.

Yea, the UV space is definitely not as optimized as it should be. I forgot to mirror the handle as well but was decently far into texturing and decided to leave it alone. Definitely something to keep in mind when working on an environment.
    The background gradient is tasteful, but why do you go with the first best marmoset HDRI background that has strong green lighting while your background is blue ?
    Its making it look out of place, especially at the reflective back side.

Ah yea, I can see that green creeping in now. Pretty ugly. I'll update these renders soon!!

Thanks again.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Alright, I incorporated most of the changes. Attempted to add some more realistic wear.

I'm a total dumbass and was having a lot of problems syncing my materials from engine to engine. Mostly with Substance Designer but with GCX in Marmoset it's all fixed.
  • noscope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noscope polycounter lvl 6
    Looking good! How you finding the pbr workflow?

That Ethernet connection at the back needs to be cut in to give it some depth. Considering how far in those sockets go the normal on a flat box doesn't do it justice!
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    PBR is pretty awesome. I was having a few problems going from engine to engine but it was mostly a lack of understanding on my part.

Ah yea, I was conflicted about whether to add more geo or just normal map it. In the future, I guess I'll go with more geo if it's not going to add much (that box probably would have added an extra 8-20 tris or something)..

Updated images again..
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Don't have much to add, except that there's too much waviness in the closeup of the lens imo. I'd have added some more geometry there. Material definition could use a little bit of work as well

Other than that it looks awesome!
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Thank you.

Yea, the front lens could definitely use additional geo. I think it's a 20 sided right now. Maybe 26-30?

Just a side thought: I tried to stay away from nDo for the project to learn more high-poly hard surface modeling and proper baking. For my next project I feel like I can add more geo in some areas and remove some in other areas if I use nDo2 in my workflow.
  • defiantchild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defiantchild polycounter lvl 4
    Sweet looks good. What did you use for the high poly?
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I don't have it on me right now but I modeled everything out except for the plastic indicator lights on the battery/indicators on the back and numbers on the lens.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! It would have been good to have some more sides to the lens though, especially the front where you're getting the waviness. It looks like you have some redundant loops there that aren't doing much, but more sides would help.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Ah yea, I've gotten that crit from a few people now. Damn..

I guess my main dilemma right now is with graduation in May of 2015 (9 months), is it worth spending the extra time redoing this or moving on with more portfolio pieces/learning more about the game pipeline?

I feel like I have to have this insane portfolio put together to even be considered at AAA companies.

By the way: First project I've used with Toolbag 2, super easy to use and awesome program :thumbup:
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I think you're probably better off making new pieces. I'd just avoid showing screenshots that emphasize the waviness.

Though if you want to be a game artist you'd better get used to re-doing things! :D
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Alright, sounds good.

Yep, I'm super thankful I experienced the process of throwing away work @ internship. Redid stuff a loooooooot :D. Should make it less painful in the future.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah totally, Its not worth it to rebake and all that, its a fairly minor issue. Definitely something to just keep in mind for future work.
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Looking really cool! And the waviness is pretty easy to fix in photoshop if you would like to :) I usually just start with colorpicking 'between two waves' and then I just go up and down with a small brush. Sometimes It works better with smudge or the clone tool, and it takes a few tries but totally worth it.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    @Kimon - Thank you for the advice. I am going to leave it for now as I'd really like to get moving on an environment and take what I learned from this and apply it. Maybe I should post a wip..